Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Trescepas

Driver License Center and State Patrol Post Location in Paulding

Not yet.

From what I understand from my Post Commissioner the Driver License Center will be located somewhere on the Court House property and the State Patrol Patrol will be located at the old Water Works location on Macland Road between BoBo Road and Merchants Drive / Highway 6.

Thanks for the info. David Barnett's campaign mailers claim that he was responsible for the offices being open now in Paulding County.

Just misleading information to con the public.

I thought the water company was moving to the new courthouse and the GSP was moving into that water dept faclity.

Hopefully it will reduce the time for the GSP to respond to take a traffic accident report.

How embarrassing to have to call the GSP for a car accident. :smh:

• Like 2

Not yet.

From what I understand from my Post Commissioner the Driver License Center will be located somewhere on the Court House property and the State Patrol Patrol will be located at the old Water Works location on Macland Road between BoBo Road and Merchants Drive / Highway 6.

Do you know when we're supposed to get the Driver License Center in Paulding?

All I heard was 2014.

So David Barnett is responsible for bringing the Driver's License Center to Paulding but not the airport. Does anyone really believe that?

Thanks for the info. David Barnett's campaign mailers claim that he was responsible for the offices being open now in Paulding County.

Just misleading information to con the public.

Nah. He just took a snooze at the meeting when it was announced it was coming, and in his rush to take the credit for opening office he missed the part where it would be later in the year.

• Like 2

How embarrassing to have to call the GSP for a car accident. :smh:

There's no reason for it. For the life of me I can't see why the SO doesn't allow the deputies to do this.

• Like 1

This is not a reason for why the GSP handles some traffic accidents in Paulding, but it does illustrate LE jurisdictions.

Back in the mid 70's, any wreck at the intersection at Atlanta Rd and Collier Dr (where the Presbyterian church is located) was handled by the Cobb County police. Any accident that was not in the intersection was handled by the Smyrna police.

The intersection was under the coverage of the county, any accident in the middle of the intersection was handled by Cobb county police, and accident not in the middle of the intersection was handled by the Smyrna police

The way I understood it, the actual intersection, for whatever reason, was not officially part of the City of Smyrna.

It was Cobb county property.

I know the that who had to handle the accidents and where, to be a fact, as to the exact reason, I think I am correct.

To my knowledge, this situation has been changed and that intersection is now a part of City of Smyrna.

This is not a reason for why the GSP handles some traffic accidents in Paulding, but it does illustrate LE jurisdictions.

Back in the mid 70's, any wreck at the intersection at Atlanta Rd and Collier Dr (where the Presbyterian church is located) was handled by the Cobb County police. Any accident that was not in the intersection was handled by the Smyrna police.

The intersection was under the coverage of the county, any accident in the middle of the intersection was handled by Cobb county police, and accident not in the middle of the intersection was handled by the Smyrna police

The way I understood it, the actual intersection, for whatever reason, was not officially part of the City of Smyrna.

It was Cobb county property.

I know the that who had to handle the accidents and where, to be a fact, as to the exact reason, I think I am correct.

To my knowledge, this situation has been changed and that intersection is now a part of City of Smyrna.

PCSO deputies should be able to take an accident report in any part of Paulding County. I know the county I live the deputies do the accident reports.

• Like 1

PCSO deputies should be able to take an accident report in any part of Paulding County. I know the county I live the deputies do the accident reports.

I have no clue.

But like my example, the Smyrna PD could not do a report on an accident that happened in the middle of that intersection.

CCPD had to be called.

Don't know when but there is a reference to it in the "Fiscal Year 2015 Tracking Sheet as signed by the Governor" on page 131 which indicates 20 year bonds in the amount of $1.19 million will provide for the design and construction of a Drivers Service Facility, Paulding County. http://www.house.ga.gov/budget/Documents/2015_FiscalYear/FY_2015_Tracking_Sheet_Gov_Signed.pdf

I had to renew my driver's license in May and called to see where the Paulding one was. I ended up calling the tag office thinking it would be near there and the lady I spoke with said late this year or early next on the driver's license office.

Paulding Deputies actually do write accident reports ... although they don't write all accident reports. That point was made at the last commission meeting. We had a battery fail or I'd have been able to point to a specific bit of video tape.

pubby

Is there anyone on here with the PCSO who can answer the question as to why they can't take accident reports?

I'm not PCSO, but my understanding is that certain roads are considered state roads and certain roads are considered county roads. GSP has jurisdiction for the state roads and that is why they write the accident reports on those roads. I was told this long ago because there were a lot of accidents in front of a business I owned and the deputies would come in after GSP showed up and complain about this one GSP officer who they called "Napoleon" because he would arrive at the scene and start barking orders to everyone while he took control. Oh and did I mention...he was also quite short.

I'm not PCSO, but my understanding is that certain roads are considered state roads and certain roads are considered county roads. GSP has jurisdiction for the state roads and that is why they write the accident reports on those roads. I was told this long ago because there were a lot of accidents in front of a business I owned and the deputies would come in after GSP showed up and complain about this one GSP officer who they called "Napoleon" because he would arrive at the scene and start barking orders to everyone while he took control. Oh and did I mention...he was also quite short.

Any LEO can write a ticket or accident report on any state route or interstate within their jurisdiction. Look at how often Cobb County PD is writing tickets on I-75 and I-20.

Former Sheriff Bruce Harris (who was GSP previously) instituted that "policy" for two reasons.

1. any tickets resulting from accidents needed to come from a "neutral" agency, in order not to piss off the good ole boys who might carry a grudge into the next local election.

2. to smooth some ruffled feathers at GSP because he "abandoned" them for elective office.

Harris himself told me that. There was a fatal accident about 3 houses down the road from where we used to live, and Bruce was on scene. We were chatting and he said that he wished GSP would hurry up get there...and then he told me the rest of the story. Reason 1 was primary, and Reason 2 was to keep a good relationship with GSP in case something "major" happened that PCSO needed help with.