Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Dallas Bigfoot

Stone Work & Backup Sheeting

Some stone on the front of my house has come off and the backup plywood sheeting is warping some. Need plywood pulled back in and stones replaced. I have all materials to do the job but need someone to do the work. Basically drill & install lag screws w/washers to pull in plywood then use construction adhesive to put back up some stone using shims to align. And then inject concrete from tubes (polymer) into corner joints.

Some stone on the front of my house has come off and the backup plywood sheeting is warping some. Need plywood pulled back in and stones replaced. I have all materials to do the job but need someone to do the work. Basically drill & install lag screws w/washers to pull in plywood then use construction adhesive to put back up some stone using shims to align. And then inject concrete from tubes (polymer) into corner joints.

Is your stone attached to the plywood sheathing direct with some sort of grout, or is there a cement backer board in between the plywood sheathing and the stone ?

I am no contractor, but all of our stonework, brick, ceramic tile, porceline tile and marble are attached with thinset to the cement backboard which is screwed to the sheathing, taped, grouted, and sealed BEFORE the stone or whatever is attached.

I would think whatever you do, without the backerboard, will come loose again in the not too distant future.

I thought this was required by code, but it may not, ...... and we are just old school construction with additional steps that will increase the longevity, but are not mandated.

• Like 3

Is your stone attached to the plywood sheathing direct with some sort of grout, or is there a cement backer board in between the plywood sheathing and the stone ?

I am no contractor, but all of our stonework, brick, ceramic tile, porceline tile and marble are attached with thinset to the cement backboard which is screwed to the sheathing, taped, grouted, and sealed BEFORE the stone or whatever is attached.

I would think whatever you do, without the backerboard, will come loose again in the not too distant future.

I thought this was required by code, but it may not, ...... and we are just old school construction with additional steps that will increase the longevity, but are not mandated.

This is correct. Proper installation would require a waterproof barrier be placed between the plywood and the stone. Roofing paper is better than nothing but gluing/mudding directly to plywood is not a good idea.