Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Hope Floats

Looking for Caregiver

I am looking for a caregiver for my 79 yr old mother. She has advanced Parkinson's and slight dementia. This would be in my home 8-5 sometimes 6pm. If interested please on me your qualifications and rates. This position would start in next two weeks. Must have own transportation and subject to criminal background check. This would be Monday-Friday.

I am looking for a caregiver for my 79 yr old mother. She has advanced Parkinson's and slight dementia. This would be in my home 8-5 sometimes 6pm. If interested please on me your qualifications and rates. This position would start in next two weeks. Must have own transportation and subject to criminal background check. This would be Monday-Friday.

Have you checked with The Visiting Angels?

A friend is going through this with her mother. Please get a service. Her mother's night caregiver has been sleeping through the night and then became belligerent with the rehab staff when they confronted her. Without a service, she would have to start looking again. Instead - she just calls the service and gets a new person.

Where are you located?

I know of 2 people I highly recommend but they are in Cartersville and Kennesaw. I also know another person I could recommend in Hiram but she doesn't drive.

Everything has positives and negatives. Figure out what is most important to you. We hired a CNA that was recommended by a hospice center. She looked after my grandmother for a year. Maybe you could check with local nursing homes, hospice centers, and churches to see if they have anyone they recommend. Having an individual instead of a service was the way to go for us. We didn't have to provide new instructions every morning and my grandmother was able to have comfort in knowing exactly who would be there each day. I would worry that someone with dimentia would have increased confusion with the possibility of not knowing who is sitting beside her on a daily basis.

Each case is different. Figure out what is best for you and go from there.

We used Comfort Keepers from my in-laws; they were very good even when we asked that several of their caregivers be replaced.

They do serve the Dallas/Hiram area:

Hiram
5604 Wendy Bagwell Pkwy., Ste 811
Hiram, GA 30141
(770) 419-1355

Ok thanks for the input. Very expensive ! How did everyone pay for caregiver?

Yes, very. For my in-laws, we paid cash from their turst fund. For myself, when and if the time comes, we purchased Long Term Care Insurance.

Expensive?? Yeah - the total number is. But, that's the reality of the "living wage." I don't know what the rates are locally. But, a friend has to have a night caregiver for her mother - high fall risk, dementia, etc. They pay the service approximately $4000 a month. That works out to $133 (assuming 30 days in a month) which works out to $16 an hour. Approximately.

Wow - that's alot for that job. Well, her mother's caregiver is a CNA that is going to school for her RN degree. So - she has advanced education. And, it's a service so the service gets its cut. I called a friend that works in HR - typically that's 30%. So, now we're down to $11 hour. And, she's working grave yard and that usually has an increase in pay. And, you have to realize that she's paying taxes, social security, FICA, health insurance (who knows what's that's costing), etc. So, she could easily be taking home less than minimum wage to sit up all night and watch someone sleep (hopefully).

Are you willing to work for that?

• Like 1

My brother in law looked in to having someone come to my mother in law's house to help her out but it was going to be $200 per day. So she lives in assisted living in the memory care unit. They take good care of her 24/7 if she needs help with anything.

Before my mother got sick, I was a private care giver (hospice), I charged 15.00 an hour, and I was available 24/7, being a private care giver is a huge responsibility,and at the same time a very humbling experience. I loved my little patients... and grew close to all of them... and when the time came for them to say good bye down here on earth, it was just as heart breaking for me as it was some of the family members.

Although I know you are not looking for a private care giver that specializes with hospice patients, please make sure that your loved one is comfortable with whomever you choose. that makes a world of difference.

I wish you the best of luck finding the right person or facility for your loved one.

• Like 2

Before my mother got sick, I was a private care giver (hospice), I charged 15.00 an hour, and I was available 24/7, being a private care giver is a huge responsibility,and at the same time a very humbling experience. I loved my little patients... and grew close to all of them... and when the time came for them to say good bye down here on earth, it was just as heart breaking for me as it was some of the family members.

Although I know you are not looking for a private care giver that specializes with hospice patients, please make sure that your loved one is comfortable with whomever you choose. that makes a world of difference.

I wish you the best of luck finding the right person or facility for your loved one.

Agreed!!!!

Expensive?? Yeah - the total number is. But, that's the reality of the "living wage." I don't know what the rates are locally. But, a friend has to have a night caregiver for her mother - high fall risk, dementia, etc. They pay the service approximately $4000 a month. That works out to $133 (assuming 30 days in a month) which works out to $16 an hour. Approximately.

Wow - that's alot for that job. Well, her mother's caregiver is a CNA that is going to school for her RN degree. So - she has advanced education. And, it's a service so the service gets its cut. I called a friend that works in HR - typically that's 30%. So, now we're down to $11 hour. And, she's working grave yard and that usually has an increase in pay. And, you have to realize that she's paying taxes, social security, FICA, health insurance (who knows what's that's costing), etc. So, she could easily be taking home less than minimum wage to sit up all night and watch someone sleep (hopefully).

Are you willing to work for that?

Actually for visiting angels they charge $17/hr and the cna/caregivers get $8.50/hr so the service gets 50%!

That was just a rough off the top estimate on her part. But, still - you see that it costs. There's liability insurance, there's taxes, payroll, all the overhead, I realize it's a tough check to write - but the reality is that's what it costs.

Maybe folks need to think twice before they complain little a corporation pays someone - there's alot of expenses that go with employing someone. AND, a business is in business to make money. Otherwise, they would be a non-profit.

Mrs G just posted about an individual for hire with experience in caring for patients with dementia. PM her for the # !

Mrs G just posted about an individual for hire with experience in caring for patients with dementia. PM her for the # !

I am also available. PM sent and haven't heard anything if it is still available.