Paulding.com

Can someone answer a question about PC DFACS

WTH is the deal with them? I know of a POS family that should have had their kids taken away from them years ago and they have a ongoing file with DFACS every time they do a home visit with them they call ahead and of course it gives them time to clean and get food in the house and prep the kids to lie. Anyway my question is , is that protocol for them to call ahead.

Yes, I'm a CASA volunteer... and just because one person thinks you're a bad parent don't make you one. I've seen where parents do all they can to provide a roof over the kids head and barely food on the table...but it's still home to them. Just because someone doesn't live like the Jones don't make them bad parents. I had lesson in this...I had to eat humble pie.

Not saying you are wrong or right... but DFAC's isn't in the service of just removing kids just because... Are they in danger? What types of life threatening positions are they in?

• Like 3

I have a friend that has a quite a few adopted children from the foster care system. And, as those children have grown up and become adults, she's finding herself considering the idea that even a bad home with bad parents is better for the LONG TERM psyche of kids than moving them to new adoptive homes. You can read her blog at BigMommaHollars. She talked about this specific issue about two weeks ago.

• Like 1

WTH is the deal with them? I know of a POS family that should have had their kids taken away from them years ago and they have a ongoing file with DFACS every time they do a home visit with them they call ahead and of course it gives them time to clean and get food in the house and prep the kids to lie. Anyway my question is , is that protocol for them to call ahead.

are the kids being abused?

• Like 1

With 18 years as a child abuse/neglect investigator in 2 states I can count on one hand the number of times I called a parent to let them know I was doing a home visit/welfare check. They were ALL unannounced. And, I WAS allowed to go in the home without the parent's permission as long as a sheriff's deputy or detective was with me.

It is not as easy as one thinks to remove children from the home. By law a child "MUST be in immediate and imminent danger" to be removed from the home. With an open case the parents agree to a case plan and as long as they are complying with the demands of the case plan a worker cannot remove the children. There were MANY times that I was able to get a court order to remove children ONLY to have the Judge return them to the home at the 72 hour hearing. It is law this hearing be held within 72 hours of the children being removed and it is at the discretion of the Judge if they remain in Protective Custody or return home.

As GeorgiaTornado stated a situation isn't always as it appears.

• Like 1

SS

I'm not going to say you are wrong but there may be a difference between what you did and saw versus standards for regular folks.By That I simply mean DFACS WITH A deputy at your side or not you still have to get a search warrant or at the very least a court order that establishes your right to enter as an investigator. Without that NO ONE has to let you in uninvited. Generally they have no need because they access the kids at school. But if I have been to court and have custody only so long as I abide by the rule that you get to come in then I must comply or face contempt charges and risk losing custody.

It always helps to let someone know you are stopping by.

Otherwise, you wouldn't have time to hide the dope, clean up the bongs and get ride of the needles.

Get the home "cleaned", some food in the fridge and some clothes washed for the kids.

After all DEFACS is only involved because some busy body made a complaint.

Nothing really bad ever happens to these kids.

(please ignore the recent deaths of children who were under DEFACS care)

Perhaps we should let all criminals know when the police may stop by.

(I know, I know, just because DEFACS is involved doesn't make them criminals)

They are just victims of the big bad system.

(and yes, I know that sometimes the system is big and bad and there are true victims, but like the prisons, the ratio of innocent to guilty is mighty low)

Dang, I am in a mood tonight, must be the toothache.

Stadial,

I understand your sarcasm but the Constitution is quite clear on this topic. An investagator has but a few options. He can stay out. He can ask permission to enter. And that can be done from days out to just prior. The earlier the better the chance to enter . If an officer is in direct pursuit of a fleeing dangerous person. That has a technical name which eludes me at the moment. And finally they can go before a judge, lay out their case and evidence and get a warrant. That means they can not say no. It may also be deemed a "no knock" which allows entry with no announcement whatsoever. The last is typical for high crime with the loss of evidence typical with a drug bust or violent person search.Those are their choices in a nutshell. Having an officer with you does nothing to get you in. They can not bypass the rules.

BTW... When DFACS came calling for Dis jr. They wanted a home meeting. I said no. I am funny that way. I know it makes them suspicious but I don't care. She insisted and said she would just get a warrant. I told her good luck convincing the judge you need and deserve the right to visit my home because my kid had a rash and seemed to wear the same clothing everyday. They are uniforms. He has 7 of them. He has issues. Get over it. I got the letter saying the investigation was closed a few days later. Just to add that we did allow them in with notification at a later date for a different issue. She did not even leave the living room.

I knew people would not like my post but I wanted to know if it protocol. Yes when the parents are trading food stamps for drugs, both pill heads , have their kids pee in balloons when they go to take the drug test , wait till defacs call's to stock a few groceries. Makes the kids lie to the case worker I could go on and on this does not include the abuse and neglect. But who am I to judge. The state know what they are doing.

TMMG... I absolute understand why you questioned it. They will make calls just like Mr.Dis said...and once you tell them NO...they have to have a court order to come. They have to show a judge why and it has to be pretty substantial. It can't be a he said...she said type situation. UNLESS there has been an officer called out to the house and he sees something.

So many types of things happen behind the scenes that most wouldn't believe. It would really blow your mind. I sometimes feel sorry for the DFACS workers. They are OVERLOADED like you wouldn't believe and have no $$ to hire people. Plus they don't make SQUAT in pay. It's hard to investigate them selling the food stamps and buying drugs or anything else crazy. I see money being blown on stupid stuff and our kids in this county alone are suffering because of lack of resources. People wonder why I get so fired up about the airport and the mismanagement. (I'm not trying to debate that here) But this county blows more money on crap... (I know..DFACS is a STATE organization)

• Like 1

I knew people would not like my post but I wanted to know if it protocol. Yes when the parents are trading food stamps for drugs, both pill heads , have their kids pee in balloons when they go to take the drug test , wait till defacs call's to stock a few groceries. Makes the kids lie to the case worker I could go on and on this does not include the abuse and neglect. But who am I to judge. The state know what they are doing.

Yes they do know what they are doing. They are abiding by the constitution on search and seizure. Lets reverse the situation. Lets say I make a call to DFCS and say YOU have been abusing your child. Lets even say Im lying about it just because I don't like you. DFCS just randomly shows up, goes into your home without your permission. Lets say for whatever reason theyre doing plumbing work on your block and have the water, gas lines, and hell for shiggles even the electricity down to do the work. DFCS goes in and finds you have no water, no electricity, and no gas. They take your kids right then and there just as a precaution. Oh sure, you get it all sorted out in a day or two, but your kids now have psychological trauma from having to go with these people.

Yes the state knows what they are doing in the confines of the law with regards to THIS policy. Don't misunderstand DFCS is hugely underfunded and undermanned and underpaid...mistakes in such an environment are a certainty, but the blame for that lay with the GGA and the voters since to make DFCS what it should be would require serious increases in tax revenue and nobody will vote for a politician who says that much less one who does it even though they didn't say so. So they don't get the funding they need. Sure, in July theyre being given a few more tools in their tool box, but only because the SHTF with child deaths and Deal saw it as a way to boost his reelection possibilities and save face. Once the turmoil dies down DFCS will be an afterthought and once again no one in general will care.

Yes they do know what they are doing. They are abiding by the constitution on search and seizure. Lets reverse the situation. Lets say I make a call to DFCS and say YOU have been abusing your child. Lets even say Im lying about it just because I don't like you. DFCS just randomly shows up, goes into your home without your permission. Lets say for whatever reason theyre doing plumbing work on your block and have the water, gas lines, and hell for shiggles even the electricity down to do the work. DFCS goes in and finds you have no water, no electricity, and no gas. They take your kids right then and there just as a precaution. Oh sure, you get it all sorted out in a day or two, but your kids now have psychological trauma from having to go with these people.

Yes the state knows what they are doing in the confines of the law with regards to THIS policy. Don't misunderstand DFCS is hugely underfunded and undermanned and underpaid...mistakes in such an environment are a certainty, but the blame for that lay with the GGA and the voters since to make DFCS what it should be would require serious increases in tax revenue and nobody will vote for a politician who says that much less one who does it even though they didn't say so. So they don't get the funding they need. Sure, in July theyre being given a few more tools in their tool box, but only because the SHTF with child deaths and Deal saw it as a way to boost his reelection possibilities and save face. Once the turmoil dies down DFCS will be an afterthought and once again no one in general will care.

My personal opinion, having dealt with them from my time in the PD and on a personal level, is that they are in general a bunch of overpaid know nothings with an insane hatred of parents that do not do things the EXACT WAY THAT THEY WANT IT DONE. Granted, that if it paid more we might actually get sane, well educated people with common sense and the ability to see and understand what is right, wrong and best for a child given THEIR EXACT CIRCUMSTANCES.

• Like 1

Here's a thought, if you are having to have regular visits from DEFCS to keep your kids, then they show up unannounced and you don't let them in, then that counts against you.

I doubt that with the rare exception, you get on their radar enough to warrant multiple visits.

And if you are doing things right, why wouldn't you want them to see that?

• Like 1

SS

I'm not going to say you are wrong but there may be a difference between what you did and saw versus standards for regular folks.By That I simply mean DFACS WITH A deputy at your side or not you still have to get a search warrant or at the very least a court order that establishes your right to enter as an investigator. Without that NO ONE has to let you in uninvited. Generally they have no need because they access the kids at school. But if I have been to court and have custody only so long as I abide by the rule that you get to come in then I must comply or face contempt charges and risk losing custody.

I am glad you are not going to say I am wrong because I am not. Maybe it was no one refused to let the deputy or myself in but I did go in many 100;s of homes without a court order or search warrant at that point. And, yes we had access to the children and did interview them at school and usually prior to even contacting the parents or making a home visit. But, one doesn't have anything to do with the other: interviewing the child and visiting the home.

My personal opinion, having dealt with them from my time in the PD and on a personal level, is that they are in general a bunch of overpaid know nothings with an insane hatred of parents that do not do things the EXACT WAY THAT THEY WANT IT DONE. Granted, that if it paid more we might actually get sane, well educated people with common sense and the ability to see and understand what is right, wrong and best for a child given THEIR EXACT CIRCUMSTANCES.

Obviously your personnel opinion and my personnil opinion differ. "OVERPAID"? I don't know where you got your information but that is one allegation I have NEVER been accused of!!! At the time I had a bachelor's degree (guess that falls under the "know nothings") and 17 years experience (nope, didn't learn anything in the field all that time either) WSB-TV did a segment on Social Workers in the State of Georgia. A man picking up garbage in Atlanta made MORE in a year than I did. Throw in the STRESS associated with making decisions that affect a child's life on a daily basis. (maybe I missed something and left the child in an unsafe situation or if I remove the child know it could be traumatized) I was NOT overpaid. IF it paid more I don't know that you'd get more "sane, well educated people with common sense and the ability to see and understand what is right, wrong and best for a child given THEIR EXACT CIRCUMSTANCES." than the case workers I worked with. But, you "might" get more stability. DFCS tends to be a stepping stone for people to use until something better comes along. I was the exception.....I KNEW I was good at my job and I LOVED my job. I find a lot of pride in being in touch with some children who I removed from their home and stopped the "generational welfare". They are productive contributing citizens in society. Not all are the horrid stories that tend to hit the media and there are many success stories.

• Like 1

Here's a thought, if you are having to have regular visits from DEFCS to keep your kids, then they show up unannounced and you don't let them in, then that counts against you.

I doubt that with the rare exception, you get on their radar enough to warrant multiple visits.

And if you are doing things right, why wouldn't you want them to see that?

It is possible if the parent doesn't allow entry to call the Judge and get a verbal order to enter. That is when a deputy or detective is with the worker. And, you are absolutely correct: If a parent is complying with the case plan and doing what they should be they WOULD want the worker in their home to verify they were. The sooner the case plan is completed (minimum 6 mos) and the parent has complied the sooner DFCS is out of their lives.

FYI: It does NOT happen that way. Only in Lifetime Movies. Goes back to the law the child MUST be "in immediate and imminent danger" to require immediate removal. And even than a Judge must grant a verbal order to do so and no water, no electricity and no gas would not necessarily meet those requirements.