Paulding.com

National Guard Halts training at airport

Following a series of complaints from residents living near the Paulding County Jet Center, the Georgia National Guard said it ceased its training missions there to try to be good neighbors.

"Through early March we enjoyed the convenience and breadth of training opportunities Paulding County Airport offers," said Maj. Will Cox with the Georgia Army National Guard. "While our operations continue to be in compliance with governing regulations, GA Army National Guard Aviation assets will prioritize training elsewhere due to community-based noise complaints."

One resident nearby said the noise from helicopters was giving her excessive stress and anxiety, likening the effects to post-traumatic stress disorder.

"Our lives were thrown into a hellacious turmoil," said Patti Smith. "When you have that kind of constant stress, that constant noise, you feel like you kind of can't take it anymore. It was stressful, and it ruins your life in the exact same way. We weren't in battle in Afghanistan, but we were embattled here in Paulding County with our airport authority."

"They're making a mockery out of PTSD," said Joe Sarber, general manager of the Paulding Jet Center. "I guess it's just kind of stooping to a whole new low. There are soldiers who come back from overseas who actually have PTSD."

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/24936422/ga-national-guard-halts-training-operations-in-paulding-co-following-noise-complaints

Following a series of complaints from residents living near the Paulding County Jet Center, the Georgia National Guard said it ceased its training missions there to try to be good neighbors.

"Through early March we enjoyed the convenience and breadth of training opportunities Paulding County Airport offers," said Maj. Will Cox with the Georgia Army National Guard. "While our operations continue to be in compliance with governing regulations, GA Army National Guard Aviation assets will prioritize training elsewhere due to community-based noise complaints."

One resident nearby said the noise from helicopters was giving her excessive stress and anxiety, likening the effects to post-traumatic stress disorder.

"Our lives were thrown into a hellacious turmoil," said Patti Smith. "When you have that kind of constant stress, that constant noise, you feel like you kind of can't take it anymore. It was stressful, and it ruins your life in the exact same way. We weren't in battle in Afghanistan, but we were embattled here in Paulding County with our airport authority."

"They're making a mockery out of PTSD," said Joe Sarber, general manager of the Paulding Jet Center. "I guess it's just kind of stooping to a whole new low. There are soldiers who come back from overseas who actually have PTSD."

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/24936422/ga-national-guard-halts-training-operations-in-paulding-co-following-noise-complaints

Seriously? What grade are we in?

Some neighbors actually suspect that the constantly circling Blackhawks were invited by airport and county officials to get even with US for standing up to their unbalanced plans that are destroying our lives and making us sick. Political retribution at its worst, perhaps, making Chris Christie's Bridgegate in New Jersey look almost sweet in comparison.

Source: http://www.pauldingairport.us/

• Like 1

I grew up next to two Army test bases - constant planes, tank rounds being fired, etc. You don't even notice it. Mom would know when the tank rounds hadn't quite by 3pm that Dad would be late for dinner. People are just CRAZY about this airport stuff. I'm beginning to think that they are just complaining to complain at this point.

• Like 4

We should take up donations for hospitalization of Ms. Patti Smith so she can get some help. I live under the flight path between McCollum Field and Cartersville airport. When stationed there, Emory Flight 3 flew over many times daily. Blackhawks (yes, they are noisy) and other heliocopters fly over the house as well. I work at home and have never been driven to flashbacks of war.

She should be ashamed of herself for making the remarks about PTSD. She is an embarrassment to our County. I have a friend whose husband served in Iraq and has problems and flashbacks. It's pitiful.....then she wants to compare war with the Airport to the war in Afaganistan.

May God have Mercy on her.

Edited by Tahoe
  • Like 3

To Patti Smith,

The sound of a helicopter is a welcome sound to a soilder in combat.Now add bullets, IED's, and mortars to that and then you may talk about PTSD. Please refrain from commenting on things you know nothing about.

• Like 2

All airport politics aside:

What a shame. For those wanting to keep the airport 'general aviation', this isn't the way to do it. Those aircraft many times re-fuel at the airport--we can kiss that revenue goodbye.

Personally, given its quasi-remote location, I think PUJ is a perfect place for these types of exercises.

just my 2cents.

• Like 3

To add:

Several years ago, I watched a Children's Healthcare of Atlanta helicopter performing some exercises/training for a newly hired pilot. They came to PUJ that day specifically because it was low volume and provided the ideal environment.

I think they also purchased fuel that day.

THIS IS GENERAL AVIATION. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

just sayin.

• Like 2

To further add:

My BIL did almost two years of combat tours as a Marine with a CH-53 squadron. Ms. Smith's PTSD comments are a disgrace to him and others who have seen the horrors of war and live with it everyday of their lives.

Shame on you.

• Like 2
<br />I don't live anywhere near the airport and we constantly have helicopters flying over.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

No kiddin'. I would think something was wrong if we didn't hear it all the time.

<br />To Patti Smith,<br /><br />   The sound of a helicopter is a welcome sound to a soilder in combat.Now add bullets, IED's, and mortars to that and then you may talk about PTSD. Please refrain from commenting on things you know nothing about.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thank you!

<br />WOW just WOW!  Way to support the military @@<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Indeed. This is another case of 'I want it but as long as it's not in my back yard'. PC officials need to grow a set and tell Ms. Smith that the training benefits us all and it will continue.

She has a legitimate complaint.An unwanted,unneeded airport was built in her peaceful,quiet backyard.None of you are qualified to diagnose PTSD.

I live next to powerlines.I like to watch the maintenance they do on the lines from the helicopters.

But,it would get on my nerves if I had to hear it day and night.

• Like 3

Patti, you have just re-defined new low! BTW, the local VFW is in the Commission Post you and Todd are running for!!

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation" - President George Washington

She has a legitimate complaint.An unwanted,unneeded airport was built in her peaceful,quiet backyard.None of you are qualified to diagnose PTSD.

I live next to powerlines.I like to watch the maintenance they do on the lines from the helicopters.

But,it would get on my nerves if I had to hear it day and night.

Her parents bought that place when she was a child prior to the City of Atlanta purchasing the 10,000 acres out there for an airport. I think she has a legitimate right to complain..

• Like 3
<br />She has a legitimate complaint.An unwanted,unneeded airport was built in her peaceful,quiet backyard.None of you are qualified to diagnose PTSD.<br /><br />I live next to powerlines.I like to watch the maintenance they do on the lines from the helicopters.<br /><br />But,it would get on my nerves if I had to hear it day and night.<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Since it doesn't go on day and night, her nerves should be just fine. Are you qualified to say that because she doesn't like helicopter noise that she does have PTSD? She's trying to get rid of the airport on a baseless complaint that helicopters make her 'anxious'. The end does not justify the means here, she doesn't like the airport period. She's using this training as another excuse to get rid of it. That training is important for everyone, I'll bet she'd be OK with it if it was in someone elses backyard.<br /><br />
<br />Patti, you have just re-defined new low!  BTW, the local VFW is in the Commission Post you and Todd are running for!! <br /><br />&quot;The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation&quot; - President George Washington<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

If she is running for office, it doesn't like her complaint and her very low blow PTSD comment is gaining her many votes on here.

Edited by momof 3

OK, I'm just going to say this once so pay attention. LOL

Sorry, I just don't buy that someone called and pretended to be an elected official. Yes there were citizen complaints, there were complaints before the airport commercialization was announced. There are logs by several of the nearby residents with times and other information. There are photos and videos.

I have nothing but respect and a thankful heart for our men and women that put their lives on the line, but a working relationship with the citizens and military is as important as the relationship with the BOC.

I think they can utilize that 7000 acre greenspace to access the airport instead of coming in by way of the subdivision. There a far fewer houses in that area than the way they have been coming in.

They also removed a huge buffer when they took out the trees for the Fire station and 911 Center.

Edited by tundra
  • Like 1

We have to be realistic.

The airport is there, it is not going away.

It could be an abandoned airport, but I can't see how that would help Paulding County.

So, we have to find a use for the airport that will help make it a useful tool for the county.

There will never be a way to make it a noiseless airport, at least not in our lifetime.

So what can we do at the airport to try and make it a money earner or at least less of a money drain?

I would think having the GA National Guard practice there is one of the ways to smartly use our airport.

For those who live around the airport, I am sorry you are in that position, if you were there before the airport was scheduled to be built.

It is not "fair" as they say, but we all know that life is not always fair.

(look at who my wife got stuck with, if life was fair, she would have a King and I would still have the ex)

If we say "no flying" at the airport, then we are a "Stop All Progress in Paulding County" kind of people.

Or we are a "Stop All Progress in Paulding County" where it affects me, kind of people and that is not fair either.

I do not have all or really any of the solutions to the airport situation, but stopping the GA National Guard does not seem to be a good one, to me.

• Like 1

People can complain or not about the airport, it's going to move forward regardless of what anyone says.

It's in the Judges hands right now, from my understanding, but if the Bozo's at the BOC want progress of any kind in Paulding County, you might as well suck it up, because it's going to happen.

Either go with the flow or move.

I just don't understand, when the airport was being first built, (I don't recall) people complaining... You had your chance to get out then. Now that it's active, people are coming out of the woodwork.

People didn't start to get really upset until they found out it will have commercial flights, but it seemed they had no problem what so ever when the military was there, doing whatever they do.

Now, this women, to get her point across, (whom doesn't like the airport now because of it's commercial flights that might be coming) attacks the military. Why didn't she have a problem with the military before?

My personal opinion of this, (also smart strategy on her part) is, go after the Military that is using the airport and that gives her leverage to use to stop the airport all together.

Lucky, she did have a problem with the military before, she has logs and pictures. I know personally they have stepped up training recently, or it appears they are now closer to the homes surrounding the airport than ever before. There are logs, videos and pictures, the documentation backs up their claims.

The airport is there, yes............give me a successful General Aviation airport then we'll talk about commercial. If they can't make a General Aviation airport work, they aren't going to be any more successful with a commercial airport.

There is no business plan, there is no back up data, there is nothing to support what is being sold, nothing but words. Words from people that have proven they don't always tell the truth. That email being waved at the BOC meeting is a perfect example.

Edited by tundra

That video is disturbing on SO many different levels...........

People can complain or not about the airport, it's going to move forward regardless of what anyone says.

It's in the Judges hands right now, from my understanding, but if the Bozo's at the BOC want progress of any kind in Paulding County, you might as well suck it up, because it's going to happen.

Either go with the flow or move.  

I just don't understand, when the airport was being first built,  (I don't recall) people complaining... You had your chance to get out then.  Now that it's active, people are coming out of the woodwork.

People didn't start to get really upset until they found out it will have commercial flights, but it seemed they had no problem what so ever when the military was there, doing whatever they do.

Now, this women, to get her point across, (whom doesn't like the airport now because of it's commercial flights that might be coming)  attacks the military.  Why didn't she have a problem with the military before?  

My personal opinion of this, (also smart strategy on her part)  is, go after the Military that is using the airport and that gives her leverage to use to stop the airport all together.

Lucky many of these people are entitled to relocation reimbursement.

I am doing some research to find out why it has not been offered to them.

It is rather strange the the national guard had so much room to practice and most of it was being done over homes. Surely these men and women have homes and families of their own. They must have thought that the people of Paulding were extremely patriotic to embrace them training right over their homes.

<br /><br /><br />

Lucky many of these people are entitled to relocation reimbursement.

I am doing some research to find out why it has not been offered to them.

It is rather strange the the national guard had so much room to practice and most of it was being done over homes. Surely these men and women have homes and families of their own. They must have thought that the people of Paulding were extremely patriotic to embrace them training right over their homes.

http://www.cbsatlant...oise-complaints

Where are the house's?  It looks like woods to me...

24936422_BG1.jpg

More than likely that is a stock photo. I understand that Miss Patty has photos. Maybe she will share them on her website.

Funny, I just watched the video, and posted the same thing that was said, about SMITH attacking the military first to get what she wants. Ironic? So, I posted first before I watched it, and it's funny how I came to the same conclusion.

And for a person that has PTSD, she sure was bobbing around and foaming at the mouth to get her spew out. There isn't a damn thing wrong with that women.

My opinion!!!

She is playing sneaky ball, just like the BOC has done by keeping it out of the public eye and holding secret meetings.

So, my question, is she being 100% honest about the whole thing, or is she being colorful to get her way....

• Like 1

http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/tc/post-traumatic-stress-disorder--symptoms

First understand that I am not in favor of commercialization of the airport. FTR if we had been living here before the airport I would've voted against it.

PTSD is a very real mental health issue, and quite frankly I take offense to anyone claiming this who does not indeed have it. Our veterans have suffered too long, and now that it is FINALLY recognized as a true condition, I feel that her claims (unless she can truly show that the training is the cause of her statements) not only an affront to anyone who truly suffers, and an insult to those of us who are the support system of some one with PTSD.

On a side note, there is a group that is trying to get the D dropped from PTSD.

• Like 6