Paulding.com

Looking for a good honest Mechanic

Can anyone recommend a good honest mechanic? My wife has 2005 Kia Sorento and the dealer says that the A/C Compressor is bad. They want $966 parts and labor. That seems ridiculous to me. I see them online for less than $200. Thanks!

We used C and G Automotive, off Old County Farm Road in New Hope. He's been working on all our cars (3) for several years. It's mainly just upkeep (knock on wood), but, as they get older (2002, 2003 and 2006), we have had to do repairs. He's always been honest and NEVER done anything that didn't need being done! Marty is the best I've found, so far!

Can anyone recommend a good honest mechanic? My wife has 2005 Kia Sorento and the dealer says that the A/C Compressor is bad. They want $966 parts and labor. That seems ridiculous to me. I see them online for less than $200. Thanks!

Yes you probably see "just the compressor" online for that amount. But A/C systems in automobiles are the debil to work on, as you need all sorts of proper licenses and equipment to work on these things.

The thing is that when an A/C compressor in a car fails it usually contaminates the entire system with particles from the compressor which requires most of the system components to be replaced. In the industry a compressor failure is called "black death" since the metal and carbon bits of the compressor are distributed throughout the hoses, condenser, and evaporator leaving a black residue which in R134a systems is near impossible to "flush" out without even more specialized (read: expensive) equipment.

I would stay away from any mechanic that wants to slap "only" a new compressor in the car. In my experience when a compressor fails you're going to need the condenser, dryer (accumulator) assembly, hoses, as well as the Thermal Expansion Valve (Orifice tube or similar) all replaced, or at least flushed using an expensive process.

You can read a good write up on all this at: http://www.ackits.com/c/BlackDeath/Auto+AC+Compressor+Failure+%28Black+Death%29.html

But the main point of the article is: "If only a new compressor is installed into a system that has not been thoroughly flushed, there is a good possibility that the new compressor will fail again, thereby voiding the warranty and resulting in another expensive repair."

Edited by Beats Working