Paulding.com

Full video of last night

Since you come down on the side of the pro group what compromise do you propose?

My only concern is for the homeowners that will be severely impacted by the large planes.

There has to be a way to distinguish severity.

I know there is also a business up there that will be negatively impacted.

If the money has not already been paid to the lawyers it will be before it is over. These people can be bought out.

It is starting to look like to me that lawyers are running this county with the only consequences for their advice being a bigger payday.

As we all know the law is not always moral.

The law does however leave a lot of room for people to act in a moral way.

This is what we expect of elected officials.

Something that should always be remembered no amount of money will re-elect a person if they can not win a popular vote.

How you treat people also makes a huge difference in their support for endeavors.

Turning your back on their concerns or disrespecting them will never turn out well.

There are true laws of human behavior some of the things done were a guarantee that there would be problems.

There needs to be some very basic changes made in the way things are done, then a town meeting with both sides carefully explaining their concerns and intents. Then people need to appoint people to sit down and start a compromise.

It still amazes me that our county sees money spent on lawyers as better spent than individuals that have been truly harmed by the action of some.

• Like 1
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You sound just like David himself...who showed up at my job on Feb. 7, 2014 to try and to get my boss to sensor my facebook post!!! Praise the Lord I have a boss who believes that I too have the right

I respect all the speakers that spoke at the meetings both pro and con. I particularly enjoyed the Comments that Todd Pownall made at the evening session, he was very respectful, concise and to the po

I very much agree with your above statements. It is a sad state of affairs when one has to resort to continually using the word "crap" to attempt to get a point across.

<br /><br /><br />

My only concern is for the homeowners that will be severely impacted by the large planes.

There has to be a way to distinguish severity.

I know there is also a business up there that will be negatively impacted.

If the money has not already been paid to the lawyers it will be before it is over. These people can be bought out.

It is starting to look like to me that lawyers are running this county with the only consequences for their advice being a bigger payday.

As we all know the law is not always moral.

The law does however leave a lot of room for people to act in a moral way.

This is what we expect of elected officials.

Something that should always be remembered no amount of money will re-elect a person if they can not win a popular vote.

How you treat people also makes a huge difference in their support for endeavors.

Turning your back on their concerns or disrespecting them will never turn out well.

There are true laws of human behavior some of the things done were a guarantee that there would be problems.

There needs to be some very basic changes made in the way things are done, then a town meeting with both sides carefully explaining their concerns and intents. Then people need to appoint people to sit down and start a compromise.

It still amazes me that our county sees money spent on lawyers as better spent than individuals that have been truly harmed by the action of some.

Ah, but you miss their main issue LPPT.

In order to sit down and discuss it, they would have to ante up, and ADMIT that some wrongs have been done, and their egos are much to large for that.'

They have shown, over and over, they would rather pay the obscene lawyer fees to litigate, than to admit they possibly have made a mistake. And it is truly INSANE to watch them do the same thing over and over and over again....yet expect to obtain different results.

They will keep getting the same results, and we will keep getting Piss Poor Planning, Piss Poor Management and achieving Piss Poor Results.

• Like 1

LPPT:

"I don't believe in compromise," said Rep. Tom Graves (GA-14). He's our congressman and that was one of the first things he spoke me even before the district was live.

It is a common thread in the extreme politics being played today and the idea is to get extremists into office. Extremists use the tool of polarizing issues to focus elections and put their candidates in office.

The airport issue is too polarizing and the election is too close for there to be any compromise. Those on the right are fond of quoting Obama aide Rahm Emmanuel "You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

The point is those groups you suggest are unwilling to compromise either will or will not field candidates for that election to provide a spectrum of solutions or, more probably, their particular agendas.

That they had to stretch the truth, make unfounded allegations of being on the take, making power grabs, etc. is just, well inevitable because that the way we've been taught to play politics by the talking heads and political pundits. Yep, bomb throwing and character assassination is the only way to choose elected leaders and is American as apple pie.

We don't know who will actually announce come noon March 7th but there is some likelihood that those subscribing to this take no prisoners approach will lead to an all out war between now in May 20th. It is kind of like the airport controversy fell right in their laps and like a dog with a used diaper, they're going to tear it up with glee.

pubby

I suggested a compromise before that would have had the general assembly re-write the AA enabling legislation to force a public bond vote on any expansion beyond the 6005 feet runway or the addition of a new runway Whitey months ago.

You utter and totally rejected that at the time.

I think the ball on that score is in your court.

pubby

Pubby I am not running for any elective office are you? the ball is not in my court, That was no compromise.... That was a capitulation to allow them to continue to do what they planned to do all along.

We discussed your compromise weeks, months ago.

Once commercial service is there the TAX PAYERS of this county are obligated to continue that service by the FAA Heck you new that.

Of course we could get legislation passed that would limit any extension of run ways without a referendum.... so what...

we have a constitutional Amendment that created the IBA that forbids them from loaning Millions of Dollars to the Airport Authority and what happens the IBA calls a special meeting loans a $1,000,000 to the AA suit is filed by concerned citizens, County drags its feet until the million is spent, Then SECRETLY meets with State Legislator submits a law that Gives the IBA the right to do anything they want, any where they want and any place that they want as long as it is in the borders of Paulding County.

That is really the silliest idea I have ever heard of.... Pubby the folks in Paulding County are not a bunch of dummies, They see through this façade that you and LPPT are putting up. You were at the Meeting Tuesday night... Do you really believe that David Austin knew nothing about this resolution as he implied, Dang who else had the authority to go to Tom Cable? Pubby the news is out all over town Secret things were being done to prevent citizens from having their day in court, All but one of the top local leaders were a party to this and you know it to be fact, And if the mail had ran a little later it would be a done deal..... Hell a motion was already on the floor to approve resolution 14-05.

Do I believe that Some commissioners were being mislead Hell yes I talked with Tommie Graham before the meeting.

Have I got all the Information on the FOIA request... NO and I will never get it now.... But maybe some lawyers will.

Your proposal is nothing more but a blank check to allow the current administration to do anything they want to do.

We need honesty to be restored to our government, Folks are becoming more aware every day of what is the truth about the airport , If you are not sensing that in the post you are simply not paying attention, And neither is LPPT

I would like to see compromise.

It is going to be difficult if not impossible.

I have seen it happen before that when you have a cause you will take any support you can get.

A compromise can not address the many reasons that people are on this band wagon.

Some truly want that airport gone and to fail.

I don't see that we can compromise with those folks.

Some want us to remain a small bedroom community and don't want anymore building of anything.

I can see no compromise in that.

There are those that are politically motivated and want commissioners removed and want others in their places.

They won't compromise either.

We have people that believe that their quality of life will be ruined by commercial flight close to their homes.

There is room for compromise there, something along the lines of buying them out and allowing them to relocate in exchange for dropping the lawsuit.

I am pretty sure there would have to be a pretty good size bond to make that happen.

Would there be public out cry against having to pay that much out?

I don't see a single solution to the multiple issues, so there is no single solution that allows the airport to function successfully.

An airport is only successful when many planes fly in and out of it. The bigger the planes, the higher the value, the more tax the county collects.

It is damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

We have come to far to do nothing.

There should have been a town hall meeting scheduled as soon as possible.

I don't know if there is still room for that or if it would make a difference.

I am sad that this issue is tearing this county a apart. I am sad that many have lost faith in the commissioners that I still hold in high regard.

Some of the criticism they have earned, but it is never too late to go to your constituents and say that hindsight is 20/20 and I wish we would have done it differently.

To quote Tommy Graham "I think you got some bad advice"

It is still up to the commissioners to make that airport a success that pays for itself. They may have to go about it differently but they still have to do that.

There is a lot of talk about replacing post commissioners in the next election.

People need to think long and hard because the task set before them will still be to make it a success. I certainly hope that among all the anti group that they have a compromise in mind that will allow that airport to be successful.

Don't read too much into this "tearing the county apart" as once you get past the STOP ALL PROGRESS IN PAULDING group of at best the 20(+-), who show up at the meetings in their blue shirts and past Ms. Patti's website you really don't have an issue. If you go to a high traffic area say around Target in Hiram or up on Cedarcrest at a strip center...better than 1/2 the folks you talk with DON'T even know we have an airport much less an issue with it.

Ask the question as follows...If you had a choice of driving to Hartsfield / Jackson to fly to a vacation destination such as Biloxi, Myrtle Beach, or Las Vegas or driving a few miles up 278 and flying out of Paulding County...which would you prefer to do? You will quickly see the support the Airport actually has. I have actually done this several times and had extremely positive responses!

<br />Don't read too much into this "tearing the county apart" as once you get past the STOP ALL PROGRESS IN PAULDING group of at best the 20(+-), who show up at the meetings in their blue shirts and past Ms. Patti's website you really don't have an issue.  If you go to a high traffic area say around Target in Hiram or up on Cedarcrest at a strip center...better than 1/2 the folks you talk with DON'T even know we have an airport much less an issue with it. <br /><br />Ask the question as follows...If you had a choice of driving to Hartsfield / Jackson to fly to a vacation destination such as Biloxi, Myrtle Beach, or Las Vegas or driving a few miles up 278 and flying out of Paulding County...which would you prefer to do?  You will quickly see the support the Airport actually has.  I have actually done this several times and had extremely positive responses!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

So tell me how you're going to get to your destination, if the airline decides to reschedule your flight. Remember, you have hotels booked, show tickets bought and reservations made. No big deal if the flight is delayed a couple of days, right?

I suggest you do some fact finding on the airline they are "talking" to about using that airport.

Don't read too much into this "tearing the county apart" as once you get past the STOP ALL PROGRESS IN PAULDING group of at best the 20(+-), who show up at the meetings in their blue shirts and past Ms. Patti's website you really don't have an issue. If you go to a high traffic area say around Target in Hiram or up on Cedarcrest at a strip center...better than 1/2 the folks you talk with DON'T even know we have an airport much less an issue with it.

Ask the question as follows...If you had a choice of driving to Hartsfield / Jackson to fly to a vacation destination such as Biloxi, Myrtle Beach, or Las Vegas or driving a few miles up 278 and flying out of Paulding County...which would you prefer to do? You will quickly see the support the Airport actually has. I have actually done this several times and had extremely positive responses!

If what you are implying is truthful then lets have a few town hall type meetings and let the folks vote on it during this years primary or general elections.

Don't read too much into this "tearing the county apart" as once you get past the STOP ALL PROGRESS IN PAULDING group of at best the 20(+-), who show up at the meetings in their blue shirts and past Ms. Patti's website you really don't have an issue.  If you go to a high traffic area say around Target in Hiram or up on Cedarcrest at a strip center...better than 1/2 the folks you talk with DON'T even know we have an airport much less an issue with it.

Ask the question as follows...If you had a choice of driving to Hartsfield / Jackson to fly to a vacation destination such as Biloxi, Myrtle Beach, or Las Vegas or driving a few miles up 278 and flying out of Paulding County...which would you prefer to do?  You will quickly see the support the Airport actually has.  I have actually done this several times and had extremely positive responses!

There are a lot of relevant questions to be answered by key people in this county.

Until there is a venue where those questions are answered openly and honestly nothing will change.

What is happening now will only make lawyers richer and the tax payers not only broker but distrustful of the leadership in this county and those they appoint to key positions.

As I said before elections will not change the fact that the airport needs to be successful and we now have a signed contract with Propeller.

The lack of effort to be open and explain the position of the county as it pertains to the airport is the biggest part of the problem.

If one believes what they are doing is right then they should be able to face their critics.

The goal is to make the airport a success, it is apparent that we have a very small handful to be severely impacted. I have yet to see any concern for those few people and it concerns me. We all know that it is morally long to do that to those people.

So one thought follows the other in what else or who else is not considered to be important.

We look for good and moral judgment in our leadership. If you ask the question of these people differently about the airport, if they feel that the county should not assist those severely impacted you might get a very different answer.

This is the leg the anti folk stand on and it is a strong leg. One that seems to be dismissed out of hand.

Let the AA, the IBA or the county buy these properties and try to sell them at a profit if they don't believe these people are being done wrong.

First how do you know I am a "SHE"...you been "peeking"...

CPR is not going to be "baited" into a meeting just so you can find out who I am...I would lose my inside info from both sides if I did that and for now I like hearing both sides takes...

You have a neutral person who has volunteered several times Steven Lang, and based on his qualifications he posted he seems very knowledgeable.

I am available to meet with you or anyone else to respectfully discuss the issue of how Commercial Air Service can be good for our community.

My reasoning? People tend to treat each other better when know each other face to face.

My objective? I think you and I would develop respect for each other's opinions if you were to allow that to happen.

There are a lot of relevant questions to be answered by key people in this county.

Until there is a venue where those questions are answered openly and honestly nothing will change.

What is happening now will only make lawyers richer and the tax payers not only broker but distrustful of the leadership in this county and those they appoint to key positions.

As I said before elections will not change the fact that the airport needs to be successful and we now have a signed contract with Propeller.

The lack of effort to be open and explain the position of the county as it pertains to the airport is the biggest part of the problem.

If one believes what they are doing is right then they should be able to face their critics.

The goal is to make the airport a success, it is apparent that we have a very small handful to be severely impacted. I have yet to see any concern for those few people and it concerns me. We all know that it is morally long to do that to those people.

So one thought follows the other in what else or who else is not considered to be important.

We look for good and moral judgment in our leadership. If you ask the question of these people differently about the airport, if they feel that the county should not assist those severely impacted you might get a very different answer.

This is the leg the anti folk stand on and it is a strong leg. One that seems to be dismissed out of hand.

Let the AA, the IBA or the county buy these properties and try to sell them at a profit if they don't believe these people are being done wrong.

Actually, LPPT, I suggested they be compensated at roughly the 2003 value of their property as that implies a time before the airport impacted the value of the home and also before the bubble inflated home prices to ridiculous highs.

I am also distraught that public officials sometimes seek to exercise vindictiveness in their administration of duties. While the reports I have heard regarding incidents surrounding the airport are only rumors, justice and equity are values I prize and are necessary for government to retain the confidence of the people.

pubby

<br />Simply watch the BOC video and her 5 minute RANT...SHE was an embarrassment to Paulding County the way she acted, and did nothing but promote her website and attack our commissioners!  AGAIN!...SHAME ON HER!!! If I was on the board she would NEVER receive another second of podium time!<br /><br />and there most definitely is a STOP ALL PROGRESS IN PAULDING group...it's holding a meeting tonight!<br />
<br /><br /><br /<br /><br /><br /><br />You are all wrong about stop all progress. If you were to pay attention to what people are saying on this board you would know what the meeting is about. I am quite sure you would not let Patti speak. You seem to be the kind of person who would try their best stifle anyone who disagreed with you. <br /><br /><br />Hey Pubby, are you going to record the meeting?

Actually, LPPT, I suggested they be compensated at roughly the 2003 value of their property as that implies a time before the airport impacted the value of the home and also before the bubble inflated home prices to ridiculous highs.  

I am also distraught that public officials sometimes seek to exercise vindictiveness in their administration of duties. While the reports I have heard regarding incidents surrounding the airport are only rumors, justice and equity are values I prize and are necessary for government to retain the confidence of the people.

pubby

Pubby I know you have taken a lot of grief and down right animosity over the years for being a democrat.

As far as I am concerned we are seeing the fundamental difference between the democrat and the republican very close to home.

The republican listens to the lawyer and the democrat listens to the people.

Our laws are constantly being manipulated by those that have the money to pay lawyers to pass the laws that serve sometimes the interest of the single person or corporation.

This airport needs to be successful in this community. The success of the housing boom was beneficial to many of the people here.

Somebody has to take the majority of the people into consideration when making decisions without destroying the minority.

If our leaders worked 1/2 as hard to take care of the handful of severely impacted people at the airport we would not have the problems we are facing.

The trust seems to have simply evaporated in the face of this last fiasco.

• Like 1

<br /><br /><br />

Pubby I know you have taken a lot of grief and down right animosity over the years for being a democrat.

As far as I am concerned we are seeing the fundamental difference between the democrat and the republican very close to home.

Our laws are constantly being manipulated by those that have the money to pay lawyers to pass the laws that serve sometimes the interest of the single person or corporation.

This airport needs to be successful in this community. The success of the housing boom was beneficial to many of the people here.

Somebody has to take the majority of the people into consideration when making decisions without destroying the minority.

If our leaders worked 1/2 as hard to take care of the handful of severely impacted people at the airport we would not have the problems we are facing.

LPPT here is the problem in a nut shell

AJC ARTICLE, 2/27/14 Thanks, Kelly!

Paulding taxpayers foot bill for airport work

By Kelly Yamanouchi - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

As Paulding County residents battle a plan to commercialize their county’s airport, county officials are going around the opposition — and dipping into tax dollars — to keep the project moving.

The county commission recently approved using the general fund to pay for a taxiway widening project expected to cost the county nearly $2 million. That was after a bond issue intended to finance the work was held up by a court challenge by opponents, leaving no way to pay for grading that had already started.

“I’ll vote to fix the mess you got out there,” said an exasperated Tommie Graham, a commissioner who has generally favored commercialization. “But my patience has run very thin.”

The move came about five months after county leaders and a private company went public with their plan to bring airline service to Paulding Northwest Atlanta Airport. Though they say the service would be limited, it could create a long-discussed “second airport” for the region.

Residents who oppose the Paulding plan have sought to block or slow work needed to make the airport usable by full-sized airliners. They also have criticized the county airport authority for hatching the plan without public input and refusing to take public comments at its meetings.

This month the authority set a policy that allows public comment but requires residents to apply in advance to speak, and reserves the right to decline if the topic is not deemed pertinent.

One project needed for airline operations is taxiway expansion, which the airport authority moved ahead with before the bond financing — normally routine — was completed.

Airport director Blake Swafford said the partly-finished widening work was a safety issue because pilots of small planes that use the airport don’t have access to the full taxiway and must “back-taxi” down the runway.

Environmental assessment could delay Paulding airport endeavor until 2015

“It is not the safest of conditions,” Swafford said.

He asked the commission to take over the contract to finish the widening — expected to cost the county about $1.9 million. It’s also expected the Federal Aviation Administration will eventually reimburse the money, however it is financed.

The five-member county commission to approve the measure, though Graham and one other member voiced concern.

“They should have never started that project without having money in hand,” said commissioner Todd Pownall. “The taxpayers should not be bailing them out because they did not do things correctly.”

Swafford acknowledged that “in hindsight, certainly we could have stopped the project before the bond validation was done.”

“The thought that the bond (issue) would be challenged never crossed our minds,” Swafford said. After county and airport authority approval, “generally it’s a done deal.”

Graham told Swafford he would not vote for a separate taxiway extension that’s also planned to prepare for airline operations. That and an airport fire station are among projects on hold until an environmental assessment is done.

Both Graham and Pownall said they think the airport authority should get the money for the taxiway work from the company it has partnered with for the commercialization, Silver Comet Terminal Partners. Silver Comet’s Brett Smith last year expressed a willingness to pay for the project if necessary.

But Swafford said the project would lose eligibility for FAA reimbursement if an entity other than the county or the airport authority pays.

Swafford and Smith, along with commission chairman David Austin, are the main champions of the commercialization idea, saying it will not only bring limited airline service but also draw related aviation businesses to the lightly used airport.

Opponents, many of whom live near the airport, say the plan could lead to more noise and congestion than ever envisioned.

The funding snarl for taxiway work also has prompted an attempt to change a state law.

Before turning to the county for money out of the general fund, airport officials got a $1 million loan from the Paulding County Industrial Building Authority to start the work. Swafford heads both authorities.

That, too, was challenged in court by residents, whose attorney argued the building authority can fund projects like factories and processing plants, but not airport taxiways.

After a judge voiced concerns about the authority’s powers, Paulding airport authority attorney Tom Cable asked State Rep. Howard Maxwell, R-Dallas, to introduce legislation to change wording in the state constitutional amendment that created the building authority. Maxwell issued notice in early February that he intended to do so. The outcome of that issue could determine whether the building authority can issue loans in the future for airport work.

Pownall criticized the move to change the law in the middle of a court case, saying it wasn’t discussed with other county officials including commissioners who vote to fund the authority with taxpayer dollars.

On Tuesday, after learning that a draft of the legislation had been drawn up weeks earlier without their knowledge, commissioners voted 4-1 to table a measure supporting the legislation. Pownall said he thinks the wording would give the authority “way too much freedom and power.” adding that when things go wrong, “it comes back to us.”

STORY SO FAR

Paulding County and a private company, Silver Comet Terminal, last year announced a plan to make the Paulding airport usable for airline operations — potentially turning it into metro Atlanta’s second commercial airport. Silver Comet, which would manage the airport’s small terminal and other operations, said it would seek an airline to provide limited service to leisure destinations. The plan drew fire from some Paulding residents who raised noise and congestion concerns. Delta Air Lines, the biggest carrier at Hartsfield-Jackson International, also said it opposes any second airport. Paulding Commission chairman David Austin, who backs the airport plan, has publicly accused Delta of orchestrating legal challenges.

<br />LPPT here is the problem in a nut shell<br /><br />AJC ARTICLE, 2/27/14 Thanks, Kelly!<br /><br /> Paulding taxpayers foot bill for airport work<br /><br /> By Kelly Yamanouchi - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution<br /><br /> As Paulding County residents battle a plan to commercialize their county's airport, county officials are going around the opposition — and dipping into tax dollars — to keep the project moving.<br /><br /> The county commission recently approved using the general fund to pay for a taxiway widening project expected to cost the county nearly $2 million. That was after a bond issue intended to finance the work was held up by a court challenge by opponents, leaving no way to pay for grading that had already started.<br /><br />"I'll vote to fix the mess you got out there," said an exasperated Tommie Graham, a commissioner who has generally favored commercialization. "But my patience has run very thin."<br /><br />The move came about five months after county leaders and a private company went public with their plan to bring airline service to Paulding Northwest Atlanta Airport. Though they say the service would be limited, it could create a long-discussed "second airport" for the region.<br /><br /> Residents who oppose the Paulding plan have sought to block or slow work needed to make the airport usable by full-sized airliners. They also have criticized the county airport authority for hatching the plan without public input and refusing to take public comments at its meetings.<br /><br /> This month the authority set a policy that allows public comment but requires residents to apply in advance to speak, and reserves the right to decline if the topic is not deemed pertinent.<br /><br /> One project needed for airline operations is taxiway expansion, which the airport authority moved ahead with before the bond financing — normally routine — was completed.<br /><br /> Airport director Blake Swafford said the partly-finished widening work was a safety issue because pilots of small planes that use the airport don't have access to the full taxiway and must "back-taxi" down the runway.<br /><br /> Environmental assessment could delay Paulding airport endeavor until 2015 <br /><br />"It is not the safest of conditions," Swafford said.<br /><br /> He asked the commission to take over the contract to finish the widening — expected to cost the county about $1.9 million. It's also expected the Federal Aviation Administration will eventually reimburse the money, however it is financed.<br /><br /> The five-member county commission to approve the measure, though Graham and one other member voiced concern.<br /><br />"They should have never started that project without having money in hand," said commissioner Todd Pownall. "The taxpayers should not be bailing them out because they did not do things correctly."<br /><br />Swafford acknowledged that "in hindsight, certainly we could have stopped the project before the bond validation was done."<br /><br /> "The thought that the bond (issue) would be challenged never crossed our minds," Swafford said. After county and airport authority approval, "generally it's a done deal."<br /><br />Graham told Swafford he would not vote for a separate taxiway extension that's also planned to prepare for airline operations. That and an airport fire station are among projects on hold until an environmental assessment is done.<br /><br /> Both Graham and Pownall said they think the airport authority should get the money for the taxiway work from the company it has partnered with for the commercialization, Silver Comet Terminal Partners. Silver Comet's Brett Smith last year expressed a willingness to pay for the project if necessary.<br /><br /> But Swafford said the project would lose eligibility for FAA reimbursement if an entity other than the county or the airport authority pays.<br /><br /> Swafford and Smith, along with commission chairman David Austin, are the main champions of the commercialization idea, saying it will not only bring limited airline service but also draw related aviation businesses to the lightly used airport.<br /><br /> Opponents, many of whom live near the airport, say the plan could lead to more noise and congestion than ever envisioned.<br /><br /> The funding snarl for taxiway work also has prompted an attempt to change a state law.<br /><br /> Before turning to the county for money out of the general fund, airport officials got a $1 million loan from the Paulding County Industrial Building Authority to start the work. Swafford heads both authorities.<br /><br /> That, too, was challenged in court by residents, whose attorney argued the building authority can fund projects like factories and processing plants, but not airport taxiways.<br /><br /> After a judge voiced concerns about the authority's powers, Paulding airport authority attorney Tom Cable asked State Rep. Howard Maxwell, R-Dallas, to introduce legislation to change wording in the state constitutional amendment that created the building authority. Maxwell issued notice in early February that he intended to do so. The outcome of that issue could determine whether the building authority can issue loans in the future for airport work.<br /><br /> Pownall criticized the move to change the law in the middle of a court case, saying it wasn't discussed with other county officials including commissioners who vote to fund the authority with taxpayer dollars.<br /><br /> On Tuesday, after learning that a draft of the legislation had been drawn up weeks earlier without their knowledge, commissioners voted 4-1 to table a measure supporting the legislation. Pownall said he thinks the wording would give the authority "way too much freedom and power." adding that when things go wrong, "it comes back to us." <br /><br />STORY SO FAR<br /><br /> Paulding County and a private company, Silver Comet Terminal, last year announced a plan to make the Paulding airport usable for airline operations — potentially turning it into metro Atlanta's second commercial airport. Silver Comet, which would manage the airport's small terminal and other operations, said it would seek an airline to provide limited service to leisure destinations. The plan drew fire from some Paulding residents who raised noise and congestion concerns. Delta Air Lines, the biggest carrier at Hartsfield-Jackson International, also said it opposes any second airport. Paulding Commission chairman David Austin, who backs the airport plan, has publicly accused Delta of orchestrating legal challenges.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Starting a project without funding in place is irresponsible. Keep in mind the original bond is for 3.4 million. The IBA loaned the AA 1 million dollars and the Commissioners gave them 2.9 million. They are already over the amount of the bond they requested and will still not be ready for 139 certification. That taxiway still needs to be lengthened.

BTW, I learned back taxiing is not uncommon and not unsafe. Happens all the time. Lockheed did test flights with F22's with 1/2 the taxiway shut down at Dobbins. Hartsfield has done this numerous times as they have worked on expanding the airport. See what you find out when you do your own research.

The "safety" claim was an excuse to continue construction on a project that they never should have started until all their ducks were in a row. This is TYPICAL of the AA. Sure wish I could claim I ran out of money so I didn't do a job to plans and specs. It's not an excuse, it's poor planning.

• Like 1

So this is it in a nutshell. They're going to take our money and spend it however they want and we don't even get a say in it.

This:

"This month the authority set a policy that allows public comment but requires residents to apply in advance to speak, and reserves the right to decline if the topic is not deemed pertinent."

Here is a link to the documents discussed in the BOC meeting on 2/15/14.  The documents that "didn't exist" on 2/14/14.    

http://www.ponytailpatriot.com/section-blog/211-proposed-local-legislation-revealed&Itemid=82

Be sure you check the dates on the correspondence between Tom Cable's office and Howard Maxwell. Open records requests don't lie.

Edited by tundra

<br /><br /><br />

LPPT In this post you are mirroring the leaders of this county that secretly imposed the airport burden on us..

IT IS NOT A HANDFUL OF SEVERLY IMPACTED PEOPLE AT THE AIRPORT.

as you contend, All through out this county a VAST MAJORITY of citizens do not want the second Atlanta airport here in Paulding County.. We are on a daily basis being lied to by the leaders of this County, They are still secretly trying to change local legislation to allow the LEADERS of this county to spend TAX DOLLARS on a Airport that we do not want...

If you have any influence, Please tell David Austin we do not want commercial passenger service out of our airport period.

We do not want the Millions of passengers coming through out County yearly.... We do not have the infrastructure to handle the influx of Millions more folks down highway 278. we are fed up with the Chamber of Commerce running full page ads with misinformation on this issue...Just think what a full blown BOYCOTT will do to the local economy. Stop using honest, reputable business to further the cause.

You and other have created this us against them, And sides are being chosen daily.

The leaders of this County needs to realize that the commercial passenger service part of the airport is doomed for failure, we don't need folks drawing two checks running our airport. DAVID ARE YIOU LISTENING you promised that no tax dollars would be used for the Airport!!!!!! Remember the campaign promises made in 2008 and 2012 Come out of the closet do what you campaigned on.

BTW I have not heard Pubby disagree on anything that the leaders of this County been doing... Rather he has been very supportive of there actions... Secret meetings, At secret times, at secret places, with secret folks is not the way to represent folks when holding elected office. Folks need to be Open, honest, And transparent when doing the peoples business

If so many people "FLY" to vacation spot...why the hell do I see so many flipping minivans with GO #17 or whatever on the road to Florida and NC? If you go to a soccer, softball, or baseball tournament......HOW many teams fly? How many members on each team FLY? 1 or 2 maybe. My sister has kids who play travel ball out of Arkansas and they DRIVE to Texas, Alabama, Florida and other places. NONE of the families have a plane or can afford to fly. It's all they can do to raise money or pay the entry fees and hotel cost. Let alone charter a flight.

I see way to many sports teams selling donuts on the street corners and having fundraisers just to be able to get to the tournaments and stay at a hotel for it, let alone FLY to an event.

Seriously? You really think in our bedroom community with FAMILIES they will be able to afford to jump on a flight and go to Orlando, Biloxi or MB? Really? You are seriously smoking something and I will have what you're having today!

If so many people "FLY" to vacation spot...why the hell do I see so many flipping minivans with GO #17 or whatever on the road to Florida and NC? If you go to a soccer, softball, or baseball tournament......HOW many teams fly? How many members on each team FLY? 1 or 2 maybe. My sister has kids who play travel ball out of Arkansas and they DRIVE to Texas, Alabama, Florida and other places. NONE of the families have a plane or can afford to fly. It's all they can do to raise money or pay the entry fees and hotel cost. Let alone charter a flight.

I see way to many sports teams selling donuts on the street corners and having fundraisers just to be able to get to the tournaments and stay at a hotel for it, let alone FLY to an event.

Seriously? You really think in our bedroom community with FAMILIES they will be able to afford to jump on a flight and go to Orlando, Biloxi or MB? Really? You are seriously smoking something and I will have what you're having today!

OK...I'll play along for a sec, YES folks out this way both can, will and DO fly to these destinations NOW but have to drive to HJ to do it...How do YOU think Airtran grew so big so fast?

LPPT In this post you are mirroring the leaders of this county that secretly imposed the airport burden on us..

IT IS NOT A HANDFUL OF SEVERLY IMPACTED PEOPLE AT THE AIRPORT.

as you contend, All through out this county a VAST MAJORITY of citizens do not want the second Atlanta airport here in Paulding County.. We are on a daily basis being lied to by the leaders of this County, They are still secretly trying to change local legislation to allow the LEADERS of this county to spend TAX DOLLARS on a Airport that we do not want...

If you have any influence, Please tell David Austin we do not want commercial passenger service out of our airport period.

We do not want the Millions of passengers coming through out County yearly.... We do not have the infrastructure to handle the influx of Millions more folks down highway 278. we are fed up with the Chamber of Commerce running full page ads with misinformation on this issue...Just think what a full blown BOYCOTT will do to the local economy. Stop using honest, reputable business to further the cause.

You and other have created this us against them, And sides are being chosen daily.

The leaders of this County needs to realize that the commercial passenger service part of the airport is doomed for failure, we don't need folks drawing two checks running our airport. DAVID ARE YIOU LISTENING you promised that no tax dollars would be used for the Airport!!!!!! Remember the campaign promises made in 2008 and 2012 Come out of the closet do what you campaigned on.

BTW I have not heard Pubby disagree on anything that the leaders of this County been doing... Rather he has been very supportive of there actions... Secret meetings, At secret times, at secret places, with secret folks is not the way to represent folks when holding elected office. Folks need to be Open, honest, And transparent when doing the peoples business

WRONG again K.V.,...AS USUAL...

The Majority of PAULDING County residents DO want a limited commercial airport, of course to KNOW this requires you to venture out past your "comfort zone" of that 1 mile radius in what is it your STOP ALL PROGRESS IN PAULDING group is calling it now...Oh Yeah...THE Cancer Zone!

Airtran = ValuJet. They started out of Atlanta and only went to 3 cities. They bought used DC9's from Delta.... NEXT. It don't matter where the hell you have to fly from...it's still cheaper to fly from Hartsfield.

I still say that families out here will NOT be flying out of our airport. You will NOT see flocks of sports teams with charters out of here. No way..if so...every commercial airport in the US would be offering cheap CHARTER type flights for this. Most of these commercial flights fly 2 days a week. NOT every day. SO...you either leave on Thursday and come home on Tuesday... Better check the fly plans from other cities that offer this type of service. Most do not fly back and forth every day. They don't offer but certain flights.

Great example of what you're talking about...... http://www.fly2pie.com/

Edited by GeorgiaTornado

Airtran = ValuJet. They started out of Atlanta and only went to 3 cities. They bought used DC9's from Delta.... NEXT. It don't matter where the hell you have to fly from...it's still cheaper to fly from Hartsfield.

I still say that families out here will NOT be flying out of our airport. You will NOT see flocks of sports teams with charters out of here. No way..if so...every commercial airport in the US would be offering cheap CHARTER type flights for this. Most of these commercial flights fly 2 days a week. NOT every day. SO...you either leave on Thursday and come home on Tuesday... Better check the fly plans from other cities that offer this type of service. Most do not fly back and forth every day. They don't offer but certain flights.

Great example of what you're talking about...... http://www.fly2pie.com/

I actually agree with you about the sports charters...I never said that someone else did...What I see is a GREAT opportunity for an Airline similar to AIRTRAN (or the ole Valujet if you prefer) that fly's a couple of times a week to different destinations. Yes, if you were to plan to fly out on a given day and back in on a given day it takes planning but most of the hotels give the better rates when you stay 3, 4 or 5 days and if I am going on a vacation trip I am sure to be gone that long at least.

Atlanta is a destination folks and the smaller airlines from smaller airports that have lost their commercial service because of the profit maximizing attitude Delta has closed the door of their access here.

That more of the destinations are coming to the north side of Atlanta is a key factor, IMO, in the viability of this commercial airport. The investors see that too or they'd run away at any price.

Instead, they're here and they're waiting for the politics to play out because, well, they've been burned what, two other times, by NIMBYs and CAVEs.

You folks are against the airport because you don't want growth. Folks, growth is coming and it is going to continue to come. Population projections for the county put us at 450,000 residents around 2050. And know I oppose building a fence around the county.

pubby

<br />Atlanta is a destination folks and the smaller airlines from smaller airports that have lost their commercial service because of the profit maximizing attitude Delta has closed the door of their access here.<br /><br />That more of the destinations are coming to the north side of Atlanta is a key factor, IMO, in the viability of this commercial airport.  The investors see that too or they'd run away at any price. <br /><br />Instead, they're here and they're waiting for the politics to play out because, well, they've been burned what, two other times, by NIMBYs and CAVEs. <br /><br />You folks are against the airport because you don't want growth. Folks, growth is coming and it is going to continue to come.  Population projections for the county put us at 450,000 residents around 2050.  And know I oppose building a fence around the county. <br /><br />pubby<br />
<br /><br /><br />

We are not opposed to the airport because we don't want growth. That argument is getting old. We are opposed to COMMERCIAL service. Bring on the jobs, bring on the industry, leave the commercial flights at HJIA where they belong. Even ole' buddy Brett Smith said this could be accomplished WITHOUT commercial service. Watch your own video from the chamber breakfast in November and hear what he says about it.

Atlanta is a destination folks and the smaller airlines from smaller airports that have lost their commercial service because of the profit maximizing attitude Delta has closed the door of their access here.

That more of the destinations are coming to the north side of Atlanta is a key factor, IMO, in the viability of this commercial airport. The investors see that too or they'd run away at any price.

Instead, they're here and they're waiting for the politics to play out because, well, they've been burned what, two other times, by NIMBYs and CAVEs.

You folks are against the airport because you don't want growth. Folks, growth is coming and it is going to continue to come. Population projections for the county put us at 450,000 residents around 2050. And know I oppose building a fence around the county.

pubby

Wrong Pubby!

While some may be against any sort of growth, most I communicate with concerning the airport are against pouring more and more money down the drain. PCAA and IBA have a very poor track record.

For me, it's a no brainer. Take that same $40million over the next 5 years one invest it in industrial park development.

The lobs created doing this versus commerciali flight from SCF would be 100 or 1000 times more and would indeed provide a tremendous ROI and make even lore money and more jobs.

• Like 1

No, if watch the ENTIRE video at the 38:45 mark it becomes the Patti Smith show and she proceeds to make it nothing more than a vicious rant and attack against our elected officials. She is doing nothing more than self promoting both herself and her website. She is a true EMBARRASSMENT!

Is she Paulding Patty on here?