Paulding.com

Apparently the best way to get your name

Oh, that's who she is! I kept seeing this story on Facebook but had no idea who she was. Guess if I had clicked the link I would have found out. It just wasn't that important to me.

This one actually makes a little more sense to me because she was making a speech at an LGBT conference. But why the media feels the need to make this BIG news I do not know. Anyway, good for her.

• Like 2

It's news because the barrier has been broken and it is time the bigots realized that there are many gay people in the world, and they are not monsters trying to covert everyone to become homosexual. This is the same barriers as was broken with race or gender and it took much fanfare before the backlash of ignorance was forced to the backrooms. When Michael Sams announced he was gay, there was a lot of "unidentified sources said" some pretty negative things, and that there was still a lot of bigotry out there. Or when the wrestler in Kansas made his bigoted tweets. The fact is that it is news because the barriers are being broken. That is news.

People should be celebrating the diversity and the inclusion instead of minimizing the real bravery to come out of the closet and face the ridicule of the ignorant who insist it is not ok to be the way God made them.

• Like 5

Hello,I'm Gone aka thedeerslayer

I've come on pcom to announce to all members that I proudly choose to be heterosexual and I choose to love my wife.

whew I feel better now that I've come out.

There there. That had to be hard.

Edited by Happy Wife And Mom

I'm guessing it has to do with no longer wanting to hide a part of your life. I can't imagine never being able to hold my husband's hand in public, etc. I also agree with what someone else said, that when "they" are seen as a tiny, insignificant group, it's easy to demonize "them", no matter who "they" are. But when it's someone you personally know, or see on TV etc, people tend to make more of a connection.

Having said that, I don't know who this person is, I don't care, and as long as everyone in a loving relationship is a consenting adult, I honestly don't care what makes them happy.

Edited by Callisto
  • Like 2

Acceptance. The more people come out, the more acceptance there will be. If it can prevent even one young gay person from taking their own life because they feel more validated as a human, then so be it. I don't really think the announcements are hurting anyone, but they might be helping someone. That's what I think about it.

• Like 10
<br />It's news because the barrier has been broken and it is time the bigots realized that there are many gay people in the world, and they are not monsters trying to covert everyone to become homosexual. This is the same barriers as was broken with race or gender and it took much fanfare before the backlash of ignorance was forced to the backrooms. When Michael Sams announced he was gay, there was a lot of "unidentified sources said" some pretty negative things, and that there was still a lot of bigotry out there. Or when the wrestler in Kansas made his bigoted tweets. The fact is that it is news because the barriers are being broken. That is news. <br /><br />People should be celebrating the diversity and the inclusion instead of minimizing the real bravery to come out of the closet and face the ridicule of the ignorant who insist it is not ok to be the way God made them.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I'm all about diversity and inclusion, and I believe that gays are the way God made them. I love gay people, I just don't understand why it's such an issue. How many heterosexuals have you ever seen or heard of that make the statement that they are in fact heterosexual? None that come to mind. That's my point, it's a non-point. Who you sleep with doesn't matter, so why bring it up, gay or straight? Just be a person.

• Like 1
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />I'm all about diversity and inclusion, and I believe that gays are the way God made them. I love gay people, I just don't understand why it's such an issue. How many heterosexuals have you ever seen or heard of that make the statement that they are in fact heterosexual? None that come to mind. That's my point, it's a non-point. Who you sleep with doesn't matter, so why bring it up, gay or straight? Just be a person.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

IF you have to ask the questions then you will NEVER understand the answers nor the explanation. It is just that simple.

Heterosexual people don't have to make announcements. The general public naturally assumes that everyone they meet, unless it a flamboyant male, is straight.

I never officially came out. Unless you count introducing a girlfriend to my parents or friends.

Then again, I'm not famous. :shrug:

Heterosexuals don't announce it because they are the overwhelming majority. It is big news when someone announces they are gay because they are the overwhelming minority and because it flies in the face of the discrimination that is institutionalized against them.

My brother is gay. My sister is gay. The ridicule they had to endure before they came out was unbearable. I saw them both cry themselves to sleep from the "do you wear capris, too?" Or the "which one you is the guy in the relationship?" It was insulting. It was overt and covert.

If someone has to ask why this is even news or a big, it is because someone really doesn't understand it at all.

• Like 3
>If someone has to ask why this is even news or a big, it is because someone really doesn't understand it at all.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Or doesn't give a flying flip. Put me in that category.

So, you could just save your long apologist post next time this topic appears..and it will, unfortunately.

<br />Heterosexual people don't have to make announcements. The general public naturally assumes that everyone they meet, unless it a flamboyant male, is straight. <br /><br />I never officially came out. Unless you count introducing a girlfriend to my parents or friends. <br />Then again, I'm not famous. :shrug:<br />
<br /><br /><br />

And that's exactly what I'm talking about, you simply live your life. You say, 'Hello, this is my wife' and rock on down the road. That's my point. Why does an announcement need to be made and when it is, why is it news?

<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />IF you have to ask the questions then you will NEVER understand the answers nor the explanation. It is just that simple.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yea.......that made sense.

<br />Heterosexuals don't announce it because they are the overwhelming majority. It is big news when someone announces they are gay because they are the overwhelming minority and because it flies in the face of the discrimination that is institutionalized against them.<br /><br />My brother is gay. My sister is gay. The ridicule they had to endure before they came out was unbearable. I saw them both cry themselves to sleep from the "do you wear capris, too?" Or the "which one you is the guy in the relationship?" It was insulting. It was overt and covert.<br /><br />If someone has to ask why this is even news or a big, it is because someone really doesn't understand it at all.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I understand the issue just fine. My nephew is gay, two uncles and countless friends, but they choose to just be people with the partner they love, not gay people with same sex partners.

People should be celebrating the diversity and the inclusion instead of minimizing the real bravery to come out of the closet and face the ridicule of the ignorant who insist it is not ok to be the way God made them.

Celebrating? Really?

Bravery? You have GOT to be kidding me.?

And this inclusion crap.....where my husband works, they have a weekly meeting that eats up half the day and all they discuss is friggin diversity and inclusion.

You mentioned the gay are "not monsters trying to convert"....thats cool....but on the other side of the leaf, folks shouldnt have the "acceptance" shoved down their throats either.

Now before anyone gets all bent out of shape, I know numerous gay people. I dont give a rats fanny that they're gay. If they are happy, its cool...but they also know that I dont like this diversity and inclusion poop either.

Celebrating? Really?

And this inclusion crap.....where my husband works, they have a weekly meeting that eats up half the day and all they discuss is friggin diversity and inclusion.

You mentioned the gay are "not monsters trying to convert"....thats cool....but on the other side of the leaf, folks shouldnt have the "acceptance" shoved down their throats either.

Now before anyone gets all bent out of shape, I know numerous gay people. I dont give a rats fanny that they're gay. If they are happy, its cool...but they also know that I dont like this diversity and inclusion poop either.

Yes, bravery is the right word. A person can be fired for being gay because it is not a protected class like gender or race. Just look at the workplace harassment in the Miami Dolphins locker room. Or look at what you said. It is fine to be gay, but don't talk about it or display it like heterosexuals do. It has to be hushed and kept out of sight. And we all know your husband's work is not taking half a day a week to talk about diversity, unless there have been several lawsuits against the company for allowing a hostile work environment towards gays. In that case, there needs to be half a day a week until people start acting like decent human beings.

• Like 1

Celebrating? Really?

Yes, bravery is the right word. A person can be fired for being gay because it is not a protected class like gender or race. Just look at the workplace harassment in the Miami Dolphins locker room. Or look at what you said. It is fine to be gay, but don't talk about it or display it like heterosexuals do. It has to be hushed and kept out of sight. And we all know your husband's work is not taking half a day a week to talk about diversity, unless there have been several lawsuits against the company for allowing a hostile work environment towards gays. In that case, there needs to be half a day a week until people start acting like decent human beings.

Gay and transgendered are two different things. Your article even said so.

That same editorial sentiment applies here in direct response to Zippy's dismissive and abrasive approach:

"People wise up when they’re better informed and given knowledge with an open hand versus a closed fist."

8)

Heterosexuals don't announce it because they are the overwhelming majority. It is big news when someone announces they are gay because they are the overwhelming minority and because it flies in the face of the discrimination that is institutionalized against them.

My brother is gay. My sister is gay. The ridicule they had to endure before they came out was unbearable. I saw them both cry themselves to sleep from the "do you wear capris, too?" Or the "which one you is the guy in the relationship?" It was insulting. It was overt and covert.

If someone has to ask why this is even news or a big, it is because someone really doesn't understand it at all.

Well guess my gay daughter just does not understand it all becauseshe says these people are just looking to getin the news. Just attention whores is what she calls them.

• Like 3

Acceptance. The more people come out, the more acceptance there will be. If it can prevent even one young gay person from taking their own life because they feel more validated as a human, then so be it. I don't really think the announcements are hurting anyone, but they might be helping someone. That's what I think about it.

Of all the responses and arguments to this "coming out" thing, your post makes the most sense. I agree with you 100%.

• Like 2
<br />Well guess my gay daughter just does not understand it all becauseshe says these people are just looking to getin the news. Just attention whores is what she calls them.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I agree with your daughter, but like I've been told, she must not understand the issue either. Whatever!

Well guess my gay daughter just does not understand it all becauseshe says these people are just looking to getin the news. Just attention whores is what she calls them.

That's not what my brother and sister's friends are saying. It is overwhelmingly positive. They have a name for gay people who don't support their diversity. They call them Gay Uncle Toms.

It was a big deal when the first woman voted. It was news. It was a big deal as blacks entered white schools. It made the news. It was a big deal when blacks first entered sports. People said, "Don't cram that equality crap down my throat." It was news. It was a big deal with the first female astronaut. It was news. The first female sports caster. The first black football referee. It was news. As acceptance triumphed over bigotry, it was no longer a big deal. In the mean time, it's a really big deal.

• Like 1

That's not what my brother and sister's friends are saying. It is overwhelmingly positive. They have a name for gay people who don't support their diversity. They call them Gay Uncle Toms.

Now that does not fall under any of these or does it?

"Yes, bravery is the right word. A person can be fired for being gay because it is not a protected class like gender or race. Just look at the workplace harassment in the Miami Dolphins locker room. Or look at what you said. It is fine to be gay, but don't talk about it or display it like heterosexuals do. It has to be hushed and kept out of sight. And we all know your husband's work is not taking half a day a week to talk about diversity, unless there have been several lawsuits against the company for allowing a hostile work environment towards gays."

Perhaps your family needs:

"In that case, there needs to be half a day a week until people start acting like decent human beings."

Tell the lads I said Jolly Good Show at football, what is called in your United States, soccer.

• Like 1

BS...supporting and seeking media attention for self are two different things.

If it were truly a non-issue, then the media reports would generate no conversation. The fact that we are having a discussion, and especially since the discussion includes those who say, "who cares?", indicates that it is a matter of interest. Taking a position contrary to those of your sex who do not share your sexual interests sometimes takes the form of a declaration of separation. In other words, in a multitude of ways,and for a variety of reasons, people proclaim their sexual interests by indicating that they have a difference with, in this case, gay individuals. They're not really seeking to understand gays, you see. If they were, then they would just have discussions with gay people about coming out. They'd at least do some research on the topic. To be sure, it's an insecurity, at best. At worst, the fact that they can't come to accept gay people "coming out" has to do with their own bigotry and prejudice.

• Like 1

She's a (quasi) celebrity. That's what makes news these days.

And what jenilyn said.

It's not only the best way to get your name in the news, it's apparently an effective way to spread your message, as here we have a two page thread on a public forum about Ellen Page and her sexual preference.

• Like 1

She's a (quasi) celebrity. That's what makes news these days.

And what jenilyn said.

It's not only the best way to get your name in the news, it's apparently an effective way to spread your message, as here we have a two page thread on a public forum about Ellen Page and her sexual preference.

Who is Ellen Page?