Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Mustluvdogs

Generator

Looking for a generator, something around 5000 volts. At least I think it's called volts. New or used. If you know of a place that still has them around Paulding or just outside, please post. Thanks.

5000 watts. Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply, Northern Tools (Marietta), Ace Hardware. Not sure about inventory on any of these but Northern usually carries a pretty good supply.

Edited by Stonewall

5000 watts. Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply, Northern Tools (Marietta), Ace Hardware. Not sure about inventory on any of these but Northern usually carries a pretty good supply.

The key question is how much do you want to pay and what are you trying to do?

If you want a generator that you can depend on it should run on either natural gas, or propane. Gas like you use in your car goes bad and also with the gas now if you leave it in the unit the carburetor will go bad in a couple of years. Diesel is not good in cold weather as it turns to gel. Also do not have the generator near enough to your house where the exhaust can get in. This applies to any type of fuel. Do not use a cord just plugged back into a outlet to power the house. A generator must be totally disconnected from the power grid or you can kill someone working on the lines. You should have a switch that disconnects the incoming power from the house before connecting to the generator.

Looking for a generator, something around 5000 volts. At least I think it's called volts. New or used. If you know of a place that still has them around Paulding or just outside, please post. Thanks.

6500 Watt generator.

there is a harbor freight in douglasville and one in Woodstock on bells ferry, go get you one.

If you want a generator that you can depend on it should run on either natural gas, or propane. Gas like you use in your car goes bad and also with the gas now if you leave it in the unit the carburetor will go bad in a couple of years. Diesel is not good in cold weather as it turns to gel. Also do not have the generator near enough to your house where the exhaust can get in. This applies to any type of fuel. Do not use a cord just plugged back into a outlet to power the house. A generator must be totally disconnected from the power grid or you can kill someone working on the lines. You should have a switch that disconnects the incoming power from the house before connecting to the generator.

Gas can be kept fresh longer with stabilizer. Diesel fuel is given an additive in cold weather to prevent gelling. How do you think diesel vehicles go in cold weather?

As for propane and NG, be advised that generators produce less wattage when running on these versus gasoline.

Gas can be kept fresh longer with stabilizer. Diesel fuel is given an additive in cold weather to prevent gelling. How do you think diesel vehicles go in cold weather?

As for propane and NG, be advised that generators produce less wattage when running on these versus gasoline.

But the stabilizer won't keep the alcohol in the gas from ruining the carb after a year. I have a portable gas

generator, and I drain the gas and refill at least once a year. Have you every tried to start a diesel

in cold weather if it doesn't have a preheater. Yes I know they produce less power, you just have to take

that into count when you buy it. I like being able to flip a switch and have it start with out having to

mess with the gas.-

I have a 6100 Honda generator,real quiet and runs 8-10 hours on 5 gallons of fuel.I bought it at Vance mowers with a three year warranty.You pay for what you get I haven't used generators that were powered with propane or natural gas.I would think those would be harder to find and use.

Do some research,what you want it to do,how much power and price of the unit.

But the stabilizer won't keep the alcohol in the gas from ruining the carb after a year. I have a portable gas

generator, and I drain the gas and refill at least once a year. Have you every tried to start a diesel

in cold weather if it doesn't have a preheater. Yes I know they produce less power, you just have to take

that into count when you buy it. I like being able to flip a switch and have it start with out having to

mess with the gas.-

You should be closing the fuel cut off and running it out of gas when done with it. That way the gas doesn't sit in the carb.

I haven't cranked mine in over two years went out there this afternoon, turned the fuel on, choked it and she fired right up after 2 pulls. Runs like a top. Gotta love a Honda engine. Mine is a 5500 watt.

Whole house generators that run natural gas are fine. My smaller Honda is a gas burner. I just buy non-ethanol gas and don't have any issues.

I used to do a lot of data center work. If you want to see a generator, take a tour of one of these places sometime. They are powered by locomotive diesels.

my husband was just talking about the propane generators, he was talking to cobb emc worker yesterday and that is what they use for back up.

You should be closing the fuel cut off and running it out of gas when done with it. That way the gas doesn't sit in the carb.

It will still go bad, and also the alcohol will cause water in the tank. I have went to non alcohol gas to help.

If you don't let it run out like you say it will cause a honda to plug up in weeks. It has a small jet that

plugs up and is hard to get to.

Have a 6500 w Honda (12 years old) and a 2700w (15 years old) Honda both gas powered. Have never had a issue with either one. I run either ethanol free gas or add a stabilizer. I can let them sit for a year at the time and they will crank with two or three pulls. (Well actually the 6500 w is an electric start). I always turn off the gas valve and let them run out before I put them up. Bought both from Northern Tool.

my husband was just talking about the propane generators, he was talking to cobb emc worker yesterday and that is what they use for back up.

If you are using for a whole house generator the 200 gallon tanks like you get for your furnace last for several days

depending on the current used, and the size of the generator. The bigger the generator the more fuel it burns.

I sized mine without the electric heat, the dryer,the water heater, and the cooking stove. The main thing is to be able to

power the well pump, the freezer, the refrigerator, and the fans for the wood stove, also is nice to be able to watch tv and such.

Just an FYI on the diesel powered stuff...

You don't need to buy the high dollar "anti-gel" additives.

Mix 1 gallon of kerosene to 4 gallons of gasoline.

The anti-gel stuff is nothing but kerosene with a few extra fuel stabilizers

and lubricants which aren't really necessary for short duration cold spells.

If you are going to run the mix in higher concentrations or for extended periods of time,

go with the anti-gel additives or add in some Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil to the kerosene/diesel mix.

This will put the lubrication back in the fuel and it's cheaper than buying the bottled additives.

If you have an engine with no pre-warmers, adding the kerosene can make it harder to start because

it will lower the flash point slightly. If you have glow plugs or an intake heater, you have nothing to worry about.

But again, don't use the kerosene mix for extended long term use.

A couple of tanks fulls for the couple of weeks of excess cold we have here isn't a big deal.

You don't want to run it for long term use, especially in the newer vehicles that don't have rebuildable injectors.

Extensive use can eventually cause a wax build up... but using it for a short term and then going back to regular

diesel fuel will be perfectly fine.

Edited by NITR0

<br />If you are using for a whole house generator the 200 gallon tanks like you get for your furnace last for several days<br />depending on the current used, and the size of the generator. The bigger the generator the more fuel it burns.<br />I sized mine without the electric heat, the dryer,the water heater, and the cooking stove.  The main thing is to be able to <br />power the well pump, the freezer, the refrigerator, and the fans for the wood stove, also is nice to be able to watch tv and such.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The size of the generator doesn't affect how much fuel it uses as much as how much of a load is on it.

It's a balancing act...

A slightly bigger generator that works less can use less fuel than a smaller generator

that runs wide open all the time.

As you stated, you need to figure out what your draw is going to be and compensate for a little more

then compare fuel usage based on output.