Paulding.com

Buses not even trying to run today?

My daughter is one of the students stuck at N. Paulding HS, and she texted to tell us that the school is telling them that they aren't even going to run buses today to get them home. If the parents can't get them, they are stuck.

WTH?

If the main roads get treated, the buses could at least get the kids to subdivision entrances. Most of the subdivisions are iced in, as ours is, so parents can't get out. But the buses could get them to within walking distance.

This is ridiculous.

-PM

<br />My daughter is one of the students stuck at N. Paulding HS, and she texted to tell us that the school is telling them that they aren't even going to run buses today to get them home. If the parents can't get them, they are stuck.<br />WTH? <br />If the main roads get treated, the buses could at least get the kids to subdivision entrances. Most of the subdivisions are iced in, as ours is, so parents can't get out. But the buses could get them to within walking distance.<br />This is ridiculous.<br />-PM<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You've got to be kidding me?

• Like 1

My daughter is one of the students stuck at N. Paulding HS, and she texted to tell us that the school is telling them that they aren't even going to run buses today to get them home. If the parents can't get them, they are stuck.

WTH?

If the main roads get treated, the buses could at least get the kids to subdivision entrances. Most of the subdivisions are iced in, as ours is, so parents can't get out. But the buses could get them to within walking distance.

This is ridiculous.

-PM

Have you seen Cedarcrest and that area? How do you think a bus would get thru that mess?

<br />How many are still at the school?<br /><br />Is the sheriff's department or someone trying to get them home?<br /><br />Are there still kids at other schools?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The National Guard, PCSD and GADOT have been and are getting kids and teachers home or to some place close that they know and that is safe.

<br />My daughter is one of the students stuck at N. Paulding HS, and she texted to tell us that the school is telling them that they aren't even going to run buses today to get them home. If the parents can't get them, they are stuck.<br />WTH? <br />If the main roads get treated, the buses could at least get the kids to subdivision entrances. Most of the subdivisions are iced in, as ours is, so parents can't get out. But the buses could get them to within walking distance.<br />This is ridiculous.<br />-PM<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You can't be serious,stop and think.The buses are not the places to be on,next safety so what if your darling is stuck.Now take those panties out of the wad.Then think with common sense.

• Like 1

You and every parent with a child at school needs to find a way to go get them.  The buses can't get through this mess any better than you can.  But if it were my child at school, I would find a way to get to them.

A very valuable lesson was learned yesterday, I hope.  The BOE made a bad and ]costly mistake. By trying to save a snow day, dozens of buses have been wrecked and damaged.  How much is that going to cost?  And then the outcry from the parents?  And children stuck at schools?

It's a costly mess.

I checked my grandson out at 10:00 yesterday.  No problem.

FOX5 just interviewed a Paulding senior that spent the night at school.  Her name was Emma.  They said the roads are so bad no one can get in or out.  They may spend the night again.

WTH?

This is ridiculous.

-PM

I have been listening to the scanner. Sheriff Gulledge and deputies are trying every way to get these kids home. They are saying

some roads still are not passable with a 4 wheeler. THEY ARE DOING EVERYTHING THEY CAN DO.

WTH?

This is ridiculous.

-PM

If it was mine, I would be finding someway to get her myself.

Paulding County Sheriff

The Sheriff's Office and other Emergency personnel are assisting with the evacuation of children from the North Paulding Campus. Parents, please be patient

The roads are very slick. Please do not get out on the roads unless you have to.

Like · · Share · 16120 · 3 minutes ago ·

I saw a story about a father who walked 6 miles to be with his 6 year old daughter at the school. I'd do that before I'd asked her to be put on a school bus with these road conditions. They are safe, warm, and fed at the schools. No, I'm sure it's not the most comfortable of situations, but they have electricity and running water. Kudos to the school administration and staff for doing what they have. I agree that school should have been cancelled but it wasn't. When I saw that elementary schools were not being released until 12:45 and I looked outside at 11 and saw the roads, I went and checked my daughter out early.

• Like 4

How stupid are you?

They are safer in a warm building than on an ice road on a bus.

• Like 2
<br />I saw a story about a father who walked 6 miles to be with his 6 year old daughter at the school. I'd do that before I'd asked her to be put on a school bus with these road conditions. They are safe, warm, and fed at the schools. No, I'm sure it's not the most comfortable of situations, but they have electricity and running water.   Kudos to the school administration and staff for doing what they have. I agree that school should have been cancelled but it wasn't. When I saw that elementary schools were not being released until 12:45 and I looked outside at 11 and saw the roads, I went and checked my daughter out early.<br />

Couldn't get home last night, every road was backed up and decided to walk to my sister's house. It was almost 8 miles, made it in 2.5 hours. It took her 2 hours to go 3 miles, then another hour to go another 2 miles. They walked the rest of the way.

Everyone who is bitching about the buses not running and the schools keeping kids over night. You better be thanking them for the decisions, there were people who had to sleep in their cars on 75, the highways, and other areas all over the place.

• Like 1

For all you wonderful geniuses that are telling me I am stupid, or should get off my A$$ and go pick up my daughter, please re-read my post, and use your language skills.

I clearly said in my post that the school was telling the children that the roads were passable, and that parents can get to the school.

My point was that IF the main roads are passable, it would make more sense to send a bus to the main entrances of subdivisions. If the main roads are NOT passable, then of course I want her to stay at the school where it is safe and warm. If you think I want her in a bus on unsafe roads, you are an idiot.

I CANNOT drive out of my subdivision. It is solid ice. If I could, I would. If I had someone close by, I would have them help. If I could walk that far, I would. Don't assume that I'm not doing everything I freakin' can to get my kid. I simply can't get there, and it was killing me.

Now I know the Sheriff's office is there getting the kids out, so hopefully it will be okay.

Now you trolls can go back to your caves. And while you are there, work on your reading comprehension.

-PM

<br />For all you wonderful geniuses that are telling me I am stupid, or should get off my A$$ and go pick up my daughter, please re-read my post, and use your language skills.<br /><br />I clearly said in my post that the school was telling the children that the roads were passable, and that parents can get to the school. <br /><br />My point was that IF the main roads are passable, it would make more sense to send a bus to the main entrances of subdivisions. If the main roads are NOT passable, then of course I want her to stay at the school where it is safe and warm. If you think I want her in a bus on unsafe roads, you are an idiot.<br /><br />I CANNOT drive out of my subdivision. It is solid ice. If I could, I would. If I had someone close by, I would have them help. If I could walk that far, I would. Don't assume that I'm not doing everything I freakin' can to get my kid. I simply can't get there, and it was killing me. <br /><br />Now I know the Sheriff's office is there getting the kids out, so hopefully it will be okay. <br /><br />Now you trolls can go back to your caves. And while you are there, work on your reading comprehension.<br /><br /><br />-PM<br />

You're stupid, you just said you can't get out. Just because some roads are passable, not all are. The decision was made for safety. You can find a clear stretch, then hit an spot where you'll end up getting stuck. If a bus gets to spot where it has to stop, or even while stopping to drop off a kid. It may get stuck on the ICE and not be able to get moving again.

I walked almost miles to my sister's house yesterday. It took 2.5 hours, there were main roads where I walked a mile, and the cars moved maybe 100 feet. And the roads are worse today.

So take your head out off your ass and be thankful that your kids are where they are safe.

You're stupid, you just said you can't get out. Just because some roads are passable, not all are. The decision was made for safety. You can find a clear stretch, then hit an spot where you'll end up getting stuck. If a bus gets to spot where it has to stop, or even while stopping to drop off a kid. It may get stuck on the ICE and not be able to get moving again.

I walked almost miles to my sister's house yesterday. It took 2.5 hours, there were main roads where I walked a mile, and the cars moved maybe 100 feet. And the roads are worse today.

So take your head out off your ass and be thankful that your kids are where they are safe.

I see you didn't bother to improve your reading comprehension and decided instead to make incorrect inferences from my statements.

Whatever. Go back under your bridge.

I remember now why I stopped spending any time on this forum.

-PM

Edited by politicalmonster
  • Like 1

If I had kids in school, my #1 desire would be that they be safe whether they were with me at home or in the care of people who are entrusted with their care. It is DANGEROUS to be on the roads right now. I don't know about up there but we have had a fatality on the icy roads here in Florida. Likely an experienced drive as well (tractor tractor driver). Roads that have NEVER been closed, not even during hurricanes, are closed due to ice. Drivers are stranded here as they are there (though not as many here apparently).

Part of the problem is people getting out thinking they HAD to be on the roads.

I personally would like to slap a few parents upside the head for their comments on here. If a bus driver or a teacher who put their lives on hold, and even in danger, to take care of these kids and then got chewed out by a parent, IMO it would be justifiable to slap that parent. Slap them into next week. The teachers, administrators and office staff have gone above and beyond. The bus drivers have risked their lives to make sure their kids (and yes, they consider them their "kids") were safe. NOBODY has a right to ask that others do more than that.

• Like 4

Are there alternatives? If the roads are driveable, then how about taking a taxi to pick up your kid? Not sure why anyone would need for their kids to be at home, as long as they're safe. But for those who think that government shouldn't be the answer - utilize private enterprise solutions, walk to the school and walk back with your child -- or wait for the government school bus to bring your child home, whenever that is.

<br />For all you wonderful geniuses that are telling me I am stupid, or should get off my A$$ and go pick up my daughter, please re-read my post, and use your language skills.<br /><br />I clearly said in my post that the school was telling the children that the roads were passable, and that parents can get to the school. <br /><br />My point was that IF the main roads are passable, it would make more sense to send a bus to the main entrances of subdivisions. If the main roads are NOT passable, then of course I want her to stay at the school where it is safe and warm. If you think I want her in a bus on unsafe roads, you are an idiot.<br /><br />I CANNOT drive out of my subdivision. It is solid ice. If I could, I would. If I had someone close by, I would have them help. If I could walk that far, I would. Don't assume that I'm not doing everything I freakin' can to get my kid. I simply can't get there, and it was killing me. <br /><br />Now I know the Sheriff's office is there getting the kids out, so hopefully it will be okay. <br /><br />Now you trolls can go back to your caves. And while you are there, work on your reading comprehension.<br /><br /><br />-PM<br />
<br /><br /><br />

We will work on our skills,at the same time work on your common sense and then we all can do better

WTH?

This is ridiculous.

-PM

Post 1....Original

For all you wonderful geniuses that are telling me I am stupid, or should get off my A$ and go pick up my daughter, please re-read my post, and use your language skills.

I clearly said in my post that the school was telling the children that the roads were passable, and that parents can get to the school.

My point was that IF the main roads are passable, it would make more sense to send a bus to the main entrances of subdivisions. If the main roads are NOT passable, then of course I want her to stay at the school where it is safe and warm. If you think I want her in a bus on unsafe roads, you are an idiot.

I CANNOT drive out of my subdivision. It is solid ice. If I could, I would. If I had someone close by, I would have them help. If I could walk that far, I would. Don't assume that I'm not doing everything I freakin' can to get my kid. I simply can't get there, and it was killing me.

Now I know the Sheriff's office is there getting the kids out, so hopefully it will be okay.

Now you trolls can go back to your caves. And while you are there, work on your reading comprehension.

-PM

Post two.....

UM, NO YOU DIDN'T SAY THIS IN YOUR ORGINAL POST.

LOL....do people think school buses are magical? I don't see how anyone with common sense could look out their window, at the roads, at the news and then in the next breath ask why the schools aren't taking kids stuck at a warm school and putting them on a bus to take their chances on the roads.

<br />Post 1....Original<br /><br /><br /><br />Post two.....<br /><br />UM, NO YOU DIDN'T SAY THIS IN YOUR ORGINAL POST.  <br /><br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Well, dang! I thought it was my reading comprehension!

For all you wonderful geniuses that are telling me I am stupid, or should get off my A$$ and go pick up my daughter, please re-read my post, and use your language skills.

-PM

Most of the ones who to the opportunity to jump on you have no idea what it's like to be stranded or away from their children. This board is famous for doing that.

<br />Most of the ones who to the opportunity to jump on you have no idea what it's like to be stranded or away from their children.  This board is famous for doing that.<br />

Wrong.

Been there, done that in 1982.

I took responsibility for my grandchildren yesterday. The little one didn't go at all to PRE-K and I checked my oldest out at 10:00AM, when the snow started, which BTW, FOX5 said it would begin at 10:00AM.

The governor, the mayor and the school boards made a very bad and costly mistake.

But I made the decision for my grandkids.

• Like 5

Wrong.

I took responsibility for my grandchildren yesterday. The little one didn't go at all to PRE-K and I checked my oldest out at 10:00AM, when the snow started, which BTW, FOX5 said it would begin at 10:00AM.

The governor, the mayor and the school boards made a very bad and costly mistake.

Hubby and I decided to keep our kids home yesterday and we are VERY glad we did. It was the right decision.

• Like 1

Wrong.

Don't explain yourself to her Lo... Who is she? Just because she doesn't have a brain in her head on how to figure out how to safely get her kid home, it's everyone's fault but her own.

Get off your ass, and get your own child. You knew it was coming, you did nothing!

Now shut the hell up! (Not you Lo)

• Like 2

Really? Have you lost your 10 year old at Atlanta Airport? Have you ever been on top of a mountain all the way across the country from your home and have two flat tires and not see a soul pass by for HOURS, all the while the snow is piling up and the gas gauge is getting low? Have you ever had your kids bus be two hours late, it getting dark and not the first sign of them and the school knows nothing, in the days before every 8 year old had a cell phone with them?

BTW, not that it matters to anyone on here because after all, this doesn't impact YOUR lives but we have had three fatalities from this storm here. Two of them, search and rescue divers, went in the cold water of the bay to search for the other one who fell in the water following an accident. Being separated from your SAFE, WARM kids is inconvenient but losing your life in an effort to help others is more than inconvenient.

To make the ASSumption that others have not been stranded or away from their kids and have no idea what it is like is a bit out there. After all, didn't we go through this three years ago? And in 1996, 1993. And numerous other "snowjams".

Most of the ones who to the opportunity to jump on you have no idea what it's like to be stranded or away from their children.  This board is famous for doing that.

Most people don't know the difference. I can't tell you how many people through the years have said to me "what's the difference?" Timing. That's the difference.

Omg I just heard the superintendent from Decalb county on tv say he didn't know the difference between a winter storm watch and a warning!  These are the kind of people who at in charge of schools in a weather issue!

WOW, and my daughter walked most of the 13mi to get to her 4yr old yesterday from the daycare she was at. Then they walked to a friends house, and spent the night. All while her husband, and 10yr old were at home.

There is hope these parents are in their late 20's, and took responsibility for taking care of their own children.

We kept 14yr old home yesterday. But, if he had gone to school, he could've walked the 1mi home. Now if he had been in elementary school, his dad or I would've gone to get him. Either way we would've taken care of our own. With the high school being a bit further, I may have checked with some of my son's friends parents who live closer to the school to see if they could get him.

• Like 1
<br />If I had kids in school, my #1 desire would be that they be safe whether they were with me at home or in the care of people who are entrusted with their care.  It is DANGEROUS to be on the roads right now.  I don't know about up there but we have had a fatality on the icy roads here in Florida.  Likely an experienced drive as well (tractor tractor driver).  Roads that have NEVER been closed, not even during hurricanes, are closed due to ice.  Drivers are stranded here as they are there (though not as many here apparently).  <br /><br />Part of the problem is people getting out thinking they HAD to be on the roads.  <br /><br />I personally would like to slap a few parents upside the head for their comments on here.  If a bus driver or a teacher who put their lives on hold, and even in danger, to take care of these kids and then got chewed out by a parent, IMO it would be justifiable to slap that parent.  Slap them into next week.  The teachers, administrators and office staff have gone above and beyond.  The bus drivers have risked their lives to make sure their kids (and yes, they consider them their "kids") were safe.  NOBODY has a right to ask that others do more than that.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Shoooot, I'm right there with you. If I was a teacher or a bus driver who put every child in the county before themselves by staying at school or driving a bus in these conditions and a parent, any parent smarted off to me, they might just tote an a$$ whoopin'. Complaining about your kid being safe at school while you're stuck at home, frozen in, makes you a complete idiot. You should have gotten your kid home yesterday like many, many other people did instead of leaving it up to a complete stranger and then whining about it the next day.

• Like 2