a few bottles of water

jar of peanut butter

plastic utensil pack

sandwich

banana

nylon tow strap

wool socks

flashlight

I also have insulated coveralls in the Jeep and a couple of extra jackets for other people if needed.

if you have medical issues that requires meds, please put extra meds in your car.. my husband is a diabetic, and he was prepared to be stuck in traffic yesterday, he took extra meds with him, good thing he did, while he was trying to get home (5 hours) his sugar dropped but he had meds with him. and snacks. and a full tank of gas. he had also let some air out of his tires, and loaded his truck down with wood to make it heavy in the back for better traction.

• Like 1

My son looked at me like I was crazy yesterday morning when I asked him to go crank my car and put my down blanket in the back seat!! I did leave work early and got home before things got bad, but you never know with something like this.

Phone chargers are very important also. My car charger has quit working, so I made sure to put mine on the bosses charger at the office to insure it was totally charged.

My kids always thought I was silly because I keep my emg. basket in the back of my car. It has a first aid kit, water, a sweat shirt jacket, a pair of socks (could be used as gloves) some energy bars, and a roll of duct tape. If I had to go to work and there was any change that bad weather might come in I took a overnight bag with a change of cloths. I always keep extra water in the car for me and my dogs. People can be stuck in traffic even in the summer time, so make sure you are ready for what ever happens. I do not understand the people who only have one or two days of food at home. I can say we can make it a week plus at our house. God help all of us if we ever have something really happen in this state. People need to be ready to take care of there self not wait for our govt. to come to our aid.

• Like 2

As part of your "welcome to Florida" information from the local Chamber of Commerce, you're given a disaster prep guide. ANY of the items listed for hurricane preparedness can be used for winter weather.

3 days worth of water per person

3 days worth of food per person, with a mixture of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, etc.

Blankets, candles, flashlights, battery powered radio, hand operated can opener and the items mentioned in the initial post.

Always a good idea to keep a kit in the car and that, too, could contain some of the same items as the home kit but with a thermal blanket of some kind, hat, gloves, bag of sand or kitty litter, jumper cables.

It's not rocket science. And a good idea to have these things and never, ever need them than to be stranded on the road and not have your car kit or to be at home with a power failure.

Snow boots and ski pants. I bought mine from Lands End in the spring/summer a couple of years ago when they were around 90% off. My husband laughed at me when I put them in my trunk at the time. They sat there for two years but they were still there yesterday when I had to ditch the car and walk home. I was warm and comfortable. I saw others with no coat and slick soled shoes trying to walk. Husband's not laughing anymore.

• Like 3

Fill up with gas.

Put together a survival kit. Mine has:

Ski mask

gloves

matches in zip loc bag

fire log (light and easy to start)

a few bottles of water

jar of peanut butter

plastic utensil pack

sandwich

banana

nylon tow strap

wool socks

flashlight

I also have insulated coveralls in the Jeep and a couple of extra jackets for other people if needed.

I went by Lowes before it started. I got 6 bags of sand. I put them in the back of my truck. Went and filled up my truck plus 2 5 gal cans and a 2 gal can as well. To be hinest I would have done that anyway. When you are at .40 cents per gal off you get as much of the 35 gal max as possible and it was the end of the month. Got home and added 6 bags of gravel chips and a good selection of lumber. About 1000 extra pounds now in the back of my truck. Most of which could be used in an emergency. I also got my tow rope and hooks. That and some of what you posted is what I did.

A few rolls of reflective Duct tape , nylon rope, pee pads ( don't laugh, can be used for many things) Vicks vapor rub, caffeine tablets, ibuprofen, many packs of Hand warmers ( Used in mittens for sporting events/hunting) Orange hunting vest or shell that goes over a jacket.)Mini flashlights as well as regular. Small packs of true granola, including nuts, dried fruit.Swiss army knife. waterproof writing paper and a neon, and a reflective, and a regular sharpie.....

a cup to pee in when you are stuck in traffic for hours as was alot of people I spoke with. The first thing they said was "I gotta pee". LOL

Why do yo need the cup? I know I'm a guy and all, but do you need the cup to go behind the bushes? My daughter insisted we stop on the side of 75 when she was about 5. She managed fine without a cup. Just asking.

My kids always thought I was silly because I keep my emg. basket in the back of my car. It has a first aid kit, water, a sweat shirt jacket, a pair of socks (could be used as gloves) some energy bars, and a roll of duct tape. If I had to go to work and there was any change that bad weather might come in I took a overnight bag with a change of cloths. I always keep extra water in the car for me and my dogs. People can be stuck in traffic even in the summer time, so make sure you are ready for what ever happens. I do not understand the people who only have one or two days of food at home. I can say we can make it a week plus at our house. God help all of us if we ever have something really happen in this state. People need to be ready to take care of there self not wait for our govt. to come to our aid.

Careful there Dr. Phil, some folks object to that common sense notion.

Preparedness and personal responsibility are now politically incorrect.

8)

• Like 1
<br />Why do yo need the cup? I know I'm a guy and all, but do you need the cup to go behind the bushes? My daughter insisted we stop on the side of 75 when she was about 5. She managed fine without a cup. Just asking.

Too damn cold out for our lady part to be hanging that close to the ice and snow. Easier to pee in a bucket or cup and then toss the liquid out the window.

Too damn cold out for our lady part to be hanging that close to the ice and snow. Easier to pee in a bucket or cup and then toss the liquid out the window.

Trust me when I say I understand the cold parts. But still tring to wrap my head around a lady using a cup in such a confined area. I'm thinking a lady in a dress / skirt can stip off undergarments while in a car, step out, squat an be done faster than any guy. But pants would greatly hinder said operation. That is a huge problem.

Trust me when I say I understand the cold parts. But still tring to wrap my head around a lady using a cup in such a confined area. I'm thinking a lady in a dress / skirt can stip off undergarments while in a car, step out, squat an be done faster than any guy. But pants would greatly hinder said operation. That is a huge problem.

It is easier than you think with pants. However, I would say make sure you have an extra blanket in the car so you can properly cover yourself. I learned my lesson the other day when I was stranded,cause I had no food or water in my car. I was a lucky one and made it to the same Quicktrip my husband was at and was able to get sustenance, but I came awfully damn close to not making it. When we can get back out, I am making an emergency pack for my car, having an gas can in my car (not full cause of fumes), but that way I can walk to get gas if need be, and my hubby is going to buy us chains anyway, just for these situations, I am also putting more than 2 blankets and a pillow in my car.

I luckily had an empty Dunkin Donuts coffee cup. I was stuck on Hwy 61. I had BabyB in the car, so me leAving him in the car when ppl were sliding every which way was not an option, and neither was getting him out into the cold an option.

So, there ya go. :lol:

I luckily had an empty Dunkin Donuts coffee cup. I was stuck on Hwy 61. I had BabyB in the car, so me leAving him in the car when ppl were sliding every which way was not an option, and neither was getting him out into the cold an option.

So, there ya go. :lol:

Ok ok... I get it. You ladies are far more flexible and talented with a cup than I EVER could have imagined. So this begs the question... next time she asks for a pit stop, I can hand my wife a cup and tell her most women don't have a problem with using this.

**** running for the door screaming now...C ya ****

• Like 2

Yes, but we live in a time when there are more people have camera phones than sense. If one of us popped a squat outside it would be posted on youtube before we finished.

Ok ok... I get it. You ladies are far more flexible and talented with a cup than I EVER could have imagined. So this begs the question... next time she asks for a pit stop, I can hand my wife a cup and tell her most women don't have a problem with using this.

**** running for the door screaming now...C ya ****

:rofl:

I'd think it'd be wise for you to NOT do that. LOL