Paulding.com

Watching this forum yesterday was telling...........

I watched what was happening here yesterday. There was panic on paulding.com over some snow. Kids were stuck on buses and spouses were trying to get home etc. It really was pathetic when I think about the people in Leyte Gulf and Tacloban, Philippines this past few months and how they handled themselves. The people in the Philippines do not count on their government to help them, they know they wont. They do not count on the government to support them over every little crisis or large crisis in their lives because they only have each other. What I saw here was what I believe to be dependence on the government school system and the government police department etc, over a little snow. Geeeez.

• Like 8

While in principle, I agree with you, the real failure was accurate forecasting...although even that is reliance on others. While sounding critical of the meteorologists, it is actually a back-handed compliment. They are usually so accurate, we don't question the forecasts. Definitely a HUGE mess due to the timing of the storm moving into such a densely populated area. Some of us actually ended up spending the night at the office. Better than on the road and needing someone to "rescue" me. :)

• Like 1

I watched what was happening here yesterday. There was panic on paulding.com over some snow. Kids were stuck on buses and spouses were trying to get home etc. It really was pathetic when I think about the people in Leyte Gulf and Tacloban, Philippines this past few months and how they handled themselves. The people in the Philippines do not count on their government to help them, they know they wont. They do not count on the government to support them over every little crisis or large crisis in their lives because they only have each other. What I saw here was what I believe to be dependence on the government school system and the government police department etc, over a little snow. Geeeez.

I am proud to say that I have never been stuck in the snow. I drive well in it. I have been known to get behind the wheel and get others out.

I decided to go to the the GD at the top of my subdivision for some things.

I had a hard time getting out of my steep driveway. I simply backed around, down shifted to first and made it out.

there was a little slipping, no problem.

Until the last hill I lost momentum. No big deal, just back down and start again. Nope went sideways and was in danger of hitting a parked car.

I had some reusable grocery bags, rocked the car on them and got straightened out. I should have turned around but I was 1000 feet from the store so I was going to make that small hill.

This was what I found while putting the bags under my tires.

It was a very wet snow out of the gulf and our temps were steadily dropping.

Usually the tire paths will begin to clear with traffic.

Not with this, any weight even with stepping on it compacted it to ice not slush. So if a car had rolled over a spot those tracks were a sheet of ice.

My husband took 6 hours to get home and stopped to help push many people.

We don't pay taxes to have a perfect government, it is comprised of thousands of imperfect human beings like you and I.

They save millions of lives by warning of hurricanes and tornadoes every year. They save millions of lives through safety nets that we want in place to do just that.

We don't accept people dying and suffering for lack of these things and constantly seek to improve what we do.

Turn off Fox news you are a very angry man.

Most of the time people are doing their best.

sheeze happens, And because American for the most have their needs met they reach out to help others instead of everyone for himself.

You didn't hear a single story of anyone preying on those trapped and desperate.

I doubt you could say that about many other societies.

• Like 1

Us Northerners can drive in this stuff 'cause we're used to it.

It's the cars in front and in back of you that will make it not worth going out.

<br /><br /><br />

I am proud to say that I have never been stuck in the snow. I drive well in it. I have been known to get behind the wheel and get others out.

• Like 1
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />I am proud to say that I have never been stuck in the snow. I drive well in it. I have been known to get behind the wheel and get others out.<br />I decided to go to the the GD at the top of my subdivision for some things.<br />I had a hard time getting out of my steep driveway. I simply backed around, down shifted to first and made it out.<br />there was a little slipping, no problem.<br />Until the last hill I lost momentum. No big deal, just back down and start again. Nope went sideways and was in danger of hitting a parked car.<br />I had some reusable grocery bags, rocked the car on them and got straightened out. I should have turned around but I was 1000 feet from the store so I was going to make that small hill.<br /><br />This was what I found while putting the bags under my tires.<br />It was a very wet snow out of the gulf and our temps were steadily dropping.<br />Usually the tire paths will begin to clear with traffic.<br />Not with this, any weight even with stepping on it compacted it to ice not slush. So if a car had rolled over a spot those tracks were a sheet of ice.<br />My husband took 6 hours to get home and stopped to help push many people.<br /><br />We don't pay taxes to have a perfect government, it is comprised of thousands of imperfect human beings like you and I.<br /><br />They save millions of lives by warning of hurricanes and tornadoes every year. They save millions of lives through safety nets that we want in place to do just that.<br />We don't accept people dying and suffering for lack of these things and constantly seek to improve what we do.<br />Turn off Fox news you are a very angry man.<br />Most of the time people are doing their best.<br />sheeze happens, And because American for the most have their needs met they reach out to help others instead of everyone for himself.<br /><br />You didn't hear a single story of anyone preying on those trapped and desperate. <br />I doubt you could say that about many other societies.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

What does Fox News have to do with dependency? You dont know what I watch or listen to. I am not an angry man nor am I a overly happy man. But when you listen to the state of the union and then see how people reacted yesterday I cannot help but think that we have become spoiled children of our societies.

<br /><br /><br />

What does Fox News have to do with dependency?  You dont know what I watch or listen to.  I am not an angry man nor am I a overly happy man.  But when you listen to the state of the union and then see how people reacted yesterday I cannot help but think that we have become spoiled children of our societies.

No sir we are trying to create the best country in the world with the best standard of living and we have come close.

Our glass is more than 1/2 full and yet we nit pick and criticize.

I agree that folks have become too dependent and most are unprepared for any sort of emergency.

Total reliance on government, technology, and modern distribution systems is truly frightening.

Less than 24 hours into this and some people lack even a modest 1 or 2 days of food and supplies.

I saw many walking in frostbite conditions yesterday without a basic coat, hat, boots, or gloves.

Please prepare your family for unexpected emergencies... do not depend on external help that may never arrive:

100 Items That Will Disappear First In An Emergency

8)

Edited by mrshoward
  • Like 5
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />No sir we are trying to create the best country in the world with the best standard of living and we have come close.<br />Our glass is more than 1/2 full and yet we nit pick and criticize.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I believe you missed my point. I will try again. The south does not have salt trucks like we do here in the north, understood. Many misunderstood the warnings or did not get the warnings at all, understood. The south are not accustomed to driving in snow, understood.

My point is probably more about comparing reaction. When I was a kid I watched my Dad and Uncles react to crisis by acting, they did not complain about "where are the police"...."why did the school not close", etc. They nutted up and found the best solution to the problem at the time and helped others along the way. I also saw much of that in the posts yesterday, but I also saw the blame game and the dependency. This has become our way of life in America, we depend too much and blame too much.

When I compare to the Philippines and how those people react, it really brings it home. I think about the mother who slept near her dead children to protect them while waiting on someone to help her bury them. She was not complaining, she was doing what needed to be done at the moment. She was not blaming or pointing a finger, she was acting the best she could.

And last night when I heard the state of union it was more promises of dependency, we have to reject dependency and become our Dads, Uncles and Mothers and Aunts etc. We have become weak.

• Like 7

<br /><br /><br />

I believe you missed my point.  I will try again.  The south does not have salt trucks like we do here in the north, understood.  Many misunderstood the warnings or did not get the warnings at all, understood.  The south are not accustomed to driving in snow, understood.  

My point is probably more about comparing reaction.  When I was a kid I watched my Dad and Uncles react to crisis by acting, they did not complain about "where are the police"...."why did the school not close", etc.  They nutted up and found the best solution to the problem at the time and helped others along the way.  I also saw much of that in the posts yesterday, but I also saw the blame game and the dependency.  This has become our way of life in America, we depend too much and blame too much.

When I compare to the Philippines and how those people react, it really brings it home.  I think about the mother who slept near her dead children to protect them while waiting on someone to help her bury them.  She was not complaining, she was doing what needed to be done at the moment.  She was not blaming or pointing a finger, she was acting the best she could.  

And last night when I heard the state of union it was more promises of dependency, we have to reject dependency and become our Dads, Uncles and Mothers and Aunts etc.  We have become weak.

I am going to bow out of the discussion and keep my little high over how generous and giving the people of our community were during an emergency.

This needs to go into the political forum.

The bottom line it is a vent about our president.

<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />I am going to bow out of the discussion and keep my little high over how generous and giving the people of our community were during an emergency.<br />This needs to go into the political forum.<br />The bottom line it is a vent about our president.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Translation: You are correct but I have to find another way to shift this and going to tell on you.

• Like 2

While I have very little faith in our local TV weather teleprompter readers and generally consider them to be at best 50-50 accurate. Ignoring them as I generally do, if you did not see this one coming you are the responsible party. Every single radar shot on any given channel or internet site showed a huge band of moisture colliding with an artic blast of frigid air. You did not have to be Nostradomus (sp) to figure this one out. It is blind dependence on others to do your thinking for you that causes you to make dumb life choices.I shut down my jobsites Monday night and told everyone to stay home. Guess what, not one of my employees got stranded, had a wreck, ran out of gas or any of the consequences of not being prepared. I do not have children in school but at the first sign this stuff was going to stick they would have been picked up and back home regardless of what the dumb*ss govt. school system said. If you were caught with your pants down, look in the mirror and have a deep one on one with yourself. My point is be self sufficient think for yourself, be bold in your actions, do not be like the other sheep in the flock. If you are not employed in the emergency medical field, utility distribution, public safety keep you butt at home.

• Like 3

What in the He!! does being stuck in traffic in the ice and snow in GA, where that normally NEVER happens, have to do with dependency on the government? The government had nothing to do with the 11 hours that my SIL and thousands of other people stuck who were trying to get home. And yes, people were worried about their kids, who wouldn't be? You're a real piece of work and I hope PUBBY ends up banning you from Pcom all together. For anyone to make this fiasco about the government is questionable at best and a real idiot at the worst.

• Like 4
<br />What in the He!! does being stuck in traffic in the ice and snow in GA, where that normally NEVER happens, have to do with dependency on the government? The government had nothing to do with the 11 hours that my SIL and thousands of other people stuck who were trying to get home. And yes, people were worried about their kids, who wouldn't be? You're a real piece of work and I hope PUBBY ends up banning you from Pcom all together. For anyone to make this fiasco about the government is questionable at best and a real idiot at the worst.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I refer you to Stonewall's post, I couldn't have said it better.

• Like 1
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />I believe you missed my point.  My point is probably more about comparing reaction.  When I was a kid I watched my Dad and Uncles react to crisis by acting, they did not complain about "where are the police"...."why did the school not close", etc.  They nutted up and found the best solution to the problem at the time and helped others along the way.  I also saw much of that in the posts yesterday, but I also saw the blame game and the dependency.  This has become our way of life in America, we depend too much and blame too much.<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Read the above. This isn't a post about the government at all. I believe he is trying to make this point: Be prepared to do what you need to do to TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF and not blame or depend on others.

It's the cars in front and in back of you that will make it not worth going out.

Awesome. Please bring your northern behind over to Abbington subdivision and drive all of our cars up the sheet of ice on the big hill in the entrance. They are getting banged up while they are lined up in the front of the s/d. It would be very neighborly of you.

• Like 2
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />I don't need to read anyone elses post, I read yours.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The purpose of my post is not to infuriate you. The purpose of my post is to use the crisis to make you see where we have become too dependent. Its an exercise of self reflection. You can throw all the daggers you want but it doesn't change how we have become as a society.

<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Read the above.   This isn't a post about the government at all.  I believe he is trying to make this point:  Be prepared to do what you need to do to TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF and not blame or depend on others.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I agree. That's why we went to get our kids at 11:00 and didn't wait for the school to get the home. And if we didn't live 2 minutes from the school, they wouldn't have gone at all. People seem to forget that they can make that call themselves and not rely on anyone else to keep their own kids safe.

And to the person in the other topic pi$$ed because buses aren't running, go get you're own kid, you should have PLANNED better to take care of your own.

• Like 1

I left work early yesterday, because I could mainly, but also because I knew better.

After getting home I spent the rest of the daylight hours rescuing neighbors' kids from school and daycare. I wuzza he-row.

I didn't get stuck in the chaos; I used the tunnels.

• Like 1

I'm from the north and when it's icy like this you can't do anything.

We also know when not to go out in this weather --- Up North we had a very steep driveway too.

Here, we were going to go out yesterday, because they said we wouldn't be part of the snow & ice, but we were smart enough to wait until 10:30am just to make sure.

P.S. We didn't go out. We feel your pain. Heck, the 3 foot snowfalls up North are no match for the one inch ones down here.

Awesome. Please bring your northern behind over to Abbington subdivision and drive all of our cars up the sheet of ice on the big hill in the entrance. They are getting banged up while they are lined up in the front of the s/d. It would be very neighborly of you.

<br /><br /><br />

I am going to bow out of the discussion and keep my little high over how generous and giving the people of our community were during an emergency.

This needs to go into the political forum.

The bottom line it is a vent about our president.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the OP has a valid point about preparedness and dependency.

One good ice storm could leave folks in this area without power or food supplies for a couple of weeks.

Better to be safe than sorry.

8)

Edited by mrshoward
<br />We also know when not to go out in this weather --- Up North we had a very steep driveway too.<br /><br />Here, we were going to go out yesterday, because they said we wouldn't be part of the snow & ice, but we were smart enough to wait until 10:30am just to make sure.<br /><br />P.S. We didn't go out. We feel your pain. Heck, the 3 foot snowfalls up North are no match for the one inch ones down here.<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Our driveway up here is steep too. We shovel our driveway when it snows and then we salt it down with rock salt....imagine that? But that is the way of living up here. I have never called the police because I couldnt get out of my driveway. I have never called the police because McDonald's didnt get my order right (yes this has been done more than once in the past year). I have never blamed my daughter's school for not calling off school. I watch the weather and also look out my window time to time.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the OP has a valid point about preparedness and dependency.

One good ice storm could leave folks in this area without power or food supplies for a couple of weeks.

Better to be safe than sorry.

8)' />

Let me tell you how I really feel.

This happens over and over in the Atlanta Metro and there is zero excuse for it.

I was at my dad's in Memphis after Christmas.

Their metro area gets no more snow and ice than ours.

They had predicted the possibility of sleet and snow.

We went out to grocery shop well ahead of time.

Guess what we saw on the roads, they had already been coated with salt and other chemicals.

If Atlanta ever did this the heavy traffic would prevent what happens every time it snows here.

I have said over and over the feds need to come down on them hard. Thy get federal money to keep that interstate clear in this situation.

That snow was not so fast and deep that this could not be prevented.

Our county should do the same thing.

Those trucks should have been running Monday night and non stop.

If this had been a storm with a lot of snow and extended low temps we could have had dead people.

If they don't smarten up it may actually happen.

OH and the snow and sleet didn't happen, there was no criticism about money wasted to treat the roads.

<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Let me tell you how I really feel.<br />This happens over and over in the Atlanta Metro and there is zero excuse for it.<br />I was at my dad's in Memphis after Christmas.<br />Their metro area gets no more snow and ice than ours.<br />They had predicted the possibility of sleet and snow.<br />We went out to grocery shop well ahead of time.<br />Guess what we saw on the roads, they had already been coated with salt and other chemicals.<br />If Atlanta ever did this the heavy traffic would prevent what happens every time it snows here.<br /><br />I have said over and over the feds need to come down on them hard. Thy get federal money to keep that interstate clear in this situation.<br /><br />That snow was not so fast and deep that this could not be prevented.<br />Our county should do the same thing.<br />Those trucks should have been running Monday night and non stop.<br /><br />If this had been a storm with a lot of snow and extended low temps we could have had dead people.<br />If they don't smarten up it may actually happen.<br /><br /><br />OH and the snow and sleet didn't happen, there was no criticism about money wasted to treat the roads.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

My point has been made, thank you for your post.

&lt;br /&gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;Let me tell you how I really feel.&lt;br /&gt;This happens over and over in the Atlanta Metro and there is zero excuse for it.&lt;br /&gt;I was at my dad's in Memphis after Christmas.&lt;br /&gt;Their metro area gets no more snow and ice than ours.&lt;br /&gt;They had predicted the possibility of sleet and snow.&lt;br /&gt;We went out to grocery shop well ahead of time.&lt;br /&gt;Guess what we saw on the roads, they had already been coated with salt and other chemicals.&lt;br /&gt;If Atlanta ever did this the heavy traffic would prevent what happens every time it snows here.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;I have said over and over the feds need to come down on them hard. Thy get federal money to keep that interstate clear in this situation.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;That snow was not so fast and deep that this could not be prevented.&lt;br /&gt;Our county should do the same thing.&lt;br /&gt;Those trucks should have been running Monday night and non stop.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;If this had been a storm with a lot of snow and extended low temps we could have had dead people.&lt;br /&gt;If they don't smarten up it may actually happen.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;OH and the snow and sleet didn't happen, there was no criticism about money wasted to treat the roads.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br /><br /><br />The Atlanta plan seems to be to wait too long to do anything. The roads could have been being salted early yesterday morning instead of waiting until it got too bad to do any good. This wait and see attitude doesn't seem to work too well. But being that most of don't own a salt truck of our own, we do have to rely on the evil government for some things, now don't we? Of course DHK was out salting his own way, not relying on the governments salt or manpower. Edited by momof 3

Hey Kentucky, Do you have a fever? No one was depending on the govt. to do anything other than to make the decision to let everyone go EARLIER rather than LATER (which we have recently learned, is possibly the result of an ulterior motive concerning the govt. not wanting to spend the extra money and the schools holding the kids until noon, so they would not have to make up the day!). Deciding even and hour earlier, may have made all the difference and possibly curbed many of the problems that occurred. That being said, if you don't like our mode of complaining, GET OFF PCOM or GO WHERE YOU FIT IN! Regards! =)

<br />Hey Kentucky, Do you have a fever? No one was depending on the govt. to do anything other than to make the decision to let everyone go EARLIER rather than LATER (which we have recently learned, is possibly the result of an ulterior motive concerning the govt. not wanting to spend the extra money and the schools holding the kids until noon, so they would not have to make up the day!). Deciding even and hour earlier, may have made all the difference and possibly curbed many of the problems that occurred. That being said, if you don't like our mode of complaining, GET OFF PCOM or GO WHERE YOU FIT IN!   Regards! =)<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I am going to ignore your school conspiracy theory but I will translate what you are trying to say to me personally.....

Translation: I dont like your opinion so I want you to shut up. I dont listen to anyone who does not agree with me.

<br /><br /><br />

I am going to ignore your school conspiracy theory but I will translate what you are trying to say to me personally.....

Translation: I dont like your opinion so I want you to shut up. I dont listen to anyone who does not agree with me.

Heck man, you're smarter than I thought! Just love it when people think they Know why I'm complaining!

For those who want limited government/no government - Who, if not the government, is supposed to assist citizens in situations of need? Private enterprise? Who is supposed to do welfare checks on stranded vehicles? Who salts/sands the roads? What private enterprise puts out the fires yesterday? What private enterprise ensured the safety of school children who couldn't get home to their homes yesterday? Kudos to any private enterprise entity that opened its doors, but the truth is that private enterprise will only go so far in what it can or will do to assist people in need. The bulk of that duty/responsibility rightly goes to government which uses public funds from taxation to do what is necessary to help people in need. Anyone opposed to government helping people is opposed to helping people.

Yesterday morning I was watching TV & internet weather forecast. My conclusion was that we might get a little snow starting about noon and we had a good chance of not getting any because the storm was south of us. I arrived at the Court House at 9:10 early for the 10am BOC meeting. As I pulled in my thought was that we might not get any snow. When I came out about 11 I was shocked with the amount of snow that had fallen and with the amount that was coming down. Traffic was heavy coming home and I saw the results of a wreck at the new hospital. I got home just before the traffic got bad. My youngest son traveled 4 hours to get from Hiram to South Paulding and my oldest son traveled 14 hours from Marietta to East Paulding. After spending over 30 years in concrete construction and pumping I consider myself a fairly good judge of analyzing weather forecast... This time I blew it.

I've been listening to the scanner, reading Facebook and Pcom. The local police and DOT have been putting their resources and attention into covering schools first.

I have read of many friends helping others. I have watched neighbors pulling vehicles up our street. I've had friends call and ask if we need anything. We are warm and have plenty of food and supplies.

All said... I can't see any services that I could have provided better.

Disagree diehard:

Ronk just doesn't have time for disagreeable people ... or is that anarchists.

What you don't seem to understand is that complaining is their exercise of free speech ... and yes, they're complaining about the government for not being prepared. The real point is that when it comes to natural disasters, there is little one can do other than not be stupid. Some of the things that government did, while not really stupid, was not exceptionally smart. But then again, most everyone by definition in the south is unprepared for snowmeggeddon ... pubby

<br />For those who want limited government/no government - Who, if not the government, is supposed to assist citizens in situations of need? Private enterprise? Who is supposed to do welfare checks on stranded vehicles? Who salts/sands the roads? What private enterprise puts out the fires yesterday? What private enterprise ensured the safety of school children who couldn't get home to their homes yesterday? Kudos to any private enterprise entity that opened its doors, but the truth is that private enterprise will only go so far in what it can or will do to assist people in need. The bulk of that duty/responsibility rightly goes to government which uses public funds from taxation to do what is necessary to help people in need. Anyone opposed to government helping people is opposed to helping people.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Limited Government is clearly stated in the Constitution of the United States. Most Federal Spending we see today is not constitutional. For example: President Grover Cleveland during his presidency (a Democrat) was asked to give federal money to the state of Texas for its wind fires that were spreading across the state of Texas. President Cleveland denied the money due to the constitution does not allow this kind of spending for a state in need, nor should it. I hear complaints about the Feds not doing this or not doing that with their tax money but they have no complaints about funding the Nevada Cowboy Poetry Festival (yes this is real, funded with help of Harry Reid).

No one said we do not need fire departments and police or utilities for all. When your government cannot handle it, then what do you do? Why do you depend on buses? I do not agree that the duty/responsibility rightly goes to the government. Its individual responsibility above all. By the way, my kid goes to a private school by my own choice and personal responsibility where there are no buses.

A couple of y'all have proven the OP's point without even realizing it...

One should not DEPEND on the government in the event of an emergency.

I cannot believe any logical rational adult would argue against this premise.

:rolleyes:

Edited by mrshoward
  • Like 1

Again -- Anyone opposed to the government helping people is opposed to helping people. If people, for whatever reason, require transportation to get their kid to school - then that transportation needs to be provided or else some of our young people will not have an education and then will be a bigger burden on society, due to lost potential and higher crime rates.

<br />Disagree diehard: <br /><br />Ronk just doesn't have time for disagreeable people ... or is that anarchists. <br /><br />What you don't seem to understand is that complaining is their exercise of free speech ... and yes, they're complaining about the government for not being prepared.  The real point is that when it comes to natural disasters, there is little one can do other than not be stupid.  Some of the things that government did, while not really stupid, was not exceptionally smart.  But then again, most everyone by definition in the south is unprepared for snowmeggeddon ... pubby<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Pubby,

Your definition of disagreeable people would not match my definition, that I am certain. A disagreable person would shift their opinion just to disagree, you have never known me to be other than conservative and adamant about those opinions. What you find disagreeable is that I disagree with you about 95% of the time. You are far left, I am far right. I find you agreeable with those who agree with you and I find you biased and harsh toward people who are on the right. Matter of fact your passive agressiveness is noted in your post.

Your interpretation of the Bill of Rights is also different than mine. The 1st Amendment allows for free speech, no doubt. Ronkin has all the rights protecting him to take aggressive personal shots at me in his post, especially on this site where anyone attacking me is protected by the owner of this site as attacking me is quite agreeable with you Pubby.

I understand your dependency on Government is far more than mine, that is a given. What I dont like is paying for it.

PS: The reason I will always be a guest on your site and a none paying member, as I previously have been in the past, is the reasons stated above

<br />Again -- Anyone opposed to the government helping people is opposed to helping people. If people, for whatever reason, require transportation to get their kid to school - then that transportation needs to be provided or else some of our young people will not have an education and then will be a bigger burden on society, due to lost potential and higher crime rates.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You are wrong in your premise about "Anyone opposed to the government helping people is opposed to helping people"..... I am a member of a few organizations that help people and are not affiliated with the government. I am opposed to the government helping people where it hurts those people in the long run but not opposed to government programs that lift folks up in the long run. See the difference?

• Like 1

Again -- Anyone opposed to the government helping people is opposed to helping people. If people, for whatever reason, require transportation to get their kid to school - then that transportation needs to be provided or else some of our young people will not have an education and then will be a bigger burden on society, due to lost potential and higher crime rates.

Nice straw man... not one single poster in this thread is "opposed to the government helping people."

:rolleyes:

<br /><br /><br />

I agree. That's why we went to get our kids at 11:00 and didn't wait for the school to get the home. And if we didn't live 2 minutes from the school, they wouldn't have gone at all. People seem to forget that they can make that call themselves and not rely on anyone else to keep their own kids safe.

And to the person in the other topic pi$$ed because buses aren't running, go get you're own kid, you should have PLANNED better to take care of your own.

Amen, Thank you.

<br />&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />The Atlanta plan seems to be to wait too long to do anything. The roads could have been being salted early yesterday morning instead of waiting until it got too bad to do any good. This wait and see attitude doesn't seem to work too well. But being that most of don't own a salt truck of our own, we do have to rely on the evil government for some things, now don't we? Of course DHK was out salting his own way, not relying on the governments salt or manpower.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

No I do not salt my own roads to get to work. If the local government has the salt that we pay for and salts the roads then I go to work. If the roads are not salted I call my boss and say "Hey Boss, the roads are not salted, I will be in when the roads are taken care of" As for my kids stuck at school. I would walk to get them, and if I cannot get them they are with people that I have personally paid and trust and have known all my life. I take my personal responsibility serious but do not depend on the government to solve my problems.