Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
surepip

Turkey Pot Pie and salad

Quart of diced thanksgiving fried turkey, frozen in gravy. Julienned blanched carrots, diced onion and celery, cooked with a can of baby green peas.

Add the turkey and gravy and some stock, and bring to simmer.

Flaky pie crust using duck fat. Line the pie pan, pour in the pot pie mixture, roll out the top crust and cover after seasoning a bit with salt, pepper, garlic.

Stab some vent holes in the top crust, and into a hot 425F oven for 40-45 minutes.

Nice for a cold evening such as this.

Side salad and some left over baguette. Too damn cold to get bread dough to rise properly.

Bon Apetite' Y'all !!!drinks.gif

Whjat y'all having for supper ?

Diet Dinner for me.

Turkey Ribs

Mac and Cheese

Collard Greens

Rest of the family had Lasagna.

Beef stew w/ red wine, peas, carrots, potatoes and onions. Seasoned with thyme and bay leaves. I made some bread but had to heat the oven, turn off and let the bread rise in the warm oven....

Homemade chicken and dumplings from the Wheat Belly website. It was surprisingly delicious. The dumplings were ground flaxseed, almond meal, butter, baking powder, egg whites.

I browned free range chicken thighs in a little butter in my cast iron Dutch oven, removed them, then sautéed onions, carrots, celery until soft. Added chicken broth, chicken, thyme and then baked in the oven. Then added the dumplings in top and baked a little longer. Nom nom nom

Free Range chickens, Beef in Red Wine sauce, Greek lemon potatoes ? Ok so how many of you made everything up from the Food Network and really had pizza and chicken wings from Dominos. rofl.gif

Free Range chickens, Beef in Red Wine sauce, Greek lemon potatoes ? Ok so how many of you made everything up from the Food Network and really had pizza and chicken wings from Dominos. rofl.gif

Where did you get a free range bird around here, and what'd you pay for it ?

Label rouge or what?

How large?

Label rouge or what?

How large?

Me ? I wouldn't know a free range chicken if I saw one. Pay attention.

:D

I really did make Greek lemon potatoes. I had them at the crossroads grill and loved them so I looked up the recipe on Pinterest. When I wake up in the morning, I think about what I'm going to make for dinner. It's what I do. Makes me happy.

Label rouge or what?

How large?

I got it at Kroger, I forgot how much per pound, but I had 5 thighs for about $6.70 something. Getting it at Kroger is touch and go; I usually have better luck at Ingles but got lucky this morning.

I normally do not buy chicken "parts" anymore, but I buy a whole free range bird. I usually pay $11-$13 for it. Unless its marked down then I can get it for $8-$10.

Edited by MrsB

I got it at Kroger, I forgot how much per pound, but I had 5 thighs for about $6.70 something. Getting it at Kroger is touch and go; I usually have better luck at Ingles but got lucky this morning.

I normally do not buy chicken "parts" anymore, but I buy a whole free range bird. I usually pay $11-$13 for it. Unless its marked down then I can get it for $8-$10.

What's the difference, taste wise, between free range & non-free range?

What brand? I've seen no free range at Kroger.

Springer Mountain?

I know, right?

These supper threads make me jealous.

We had spaghetti and cheddar biscuits.

Because a free range bird is 12-16 weeks old there is more flavor.

Grocery store birds are 6 weeks old.l

Generally because they run around more they have less fat.

And as the are processed in small killing plants they are air chilled instead of water chilled.

And as the are processed in small killing plants they are air chilled instead of water chilled.

What brand? I've seen no free range at Kroger.

Springer Mountain?

They are Kroger's new Simple Truth Organic Free Range bird. Like I said, they don't always have them. Ingles does, though, petty regularly. I think they have Harvest ........ Something. I can't remember... There is another brand they have, too, I think migh be the brand you mentioned.

This. They are leaner, have better flavor, and (IMO, and MrB's) they have a better texture. I stopped buying regular chicken when I came home with a 4.3lb pack of breasts and there were only three in it when I opened it. It grossed me out and that was the end.

They are Kroger's new Simple Truth Organic Free Range bird. Like I said, they don't always have them. Ingles does, though, petty regularly. I think they have Harvest ........ Something. I can't remember... There is another brand they have, too, I think migh be the brand you mentioned.

This. They are leaner, have better flavor, and (IMO, and MrB's) they have a better texture. I stopped buying regular chicken when I came home with a 4.3lb pack of breasts and there were only three in it when I opened it. It grossed me out and that was the end.

Next time you get some, look for the USDA plant # on the label and I'll tell you where they came from and if the are free range. The "cage free" term is a come on. All meat chickens and turkey are cage free.

"Organic" is a still somewhat undefined mystical term per USDA. That is, it can be used even though the animal was fed other than organic feed.

Next time you get some, look for the USDA plant # on the label and I'll tell you where they came from and if the are free range. The "cage free" term is a come on. All meat chickens and turkey are cage free.

"Organic" is a still somewhat undefined mystical term per USDA. That is, it can be used even though the animal was fed other than organic feed.

I do not buy anything labeled as "cage free". It is misleading. I have been buying eggs from with Bray Farms or Vineyard Farms. But just before Christmas the birds stopped laying. I have yet to check back with Bray because of the holidays and now weather.

But the way I understood it, chicken cannot be labeled as organic if it was not fed organic feed.

At Kroger, the free range stuff isn't with the other chicken. It's in the cooler case against the wall, nearest to the "butcher", where the lobsters are. NOT the "natural" stuff - I don't buy "natural", either.

I have a whole bird defrosting in the fridge now. Where is the plant number?

We were so cool back in the day. All our chickens were free range until my grandmother cut off their heads.

:lol:

That's how it was with my mom and her family, too.

Quart of diced thanksgiving fried turkey, frozen in gravy. Julienned blanched carrots, diced onion and celery, cooked with a can of baby green peas.

Add the turkey and gravy and some stock, and bring to simmer.

Flaky pie crust using duck fat. Line the pie pan, pour in the pot pie mixture, roll out the top crust and cover after seasoning a bit with salt, pepper, garlic.

Stab some vent holes in the top crust, and into a hot 425F oven for 40-45 minutes.

Nice for a cold evening such as this.

Side salad and some left over baguette. Too damn cold to get bread dough to rise properly.

Bon Apetite' Y'all !!!drinks.gif

Whjat y'all having for supper ?

Chili

Actually it says plant number is in the closure. The metal band at the top is stamped "P" on the top, and "318" on the bottom.

There's a tiny USDA logo with a plant number, like P1150. The numbers make no sense as they have followed 8-10 different systems in the past 50 years for designating a plant.

It's p-1318, I think. By the label you mentioned, it says"Plant No. On Bag Closure".

The actual sticker label says P-1318, as does the closure. (I didn't see the one the first time I looked).

It's Perdue. They claim to have free range. P1318 is Perdue in DE, where the company is incorporated. Can you tell where the actual bird actually came from?

I grew up that way - that's a big reason why I can't eat meat with bones in it. I can smell the smell of mom cleaning chickens in the kitchen sink. Blah.

I learned at an early age not to get too used to the animals.

We didn't name any animals that were going on our dinner plate. That was a valuable lesson Dad taught us.

It's Perdue. They claim to have free range. P1318 is Perdue in DE, where the company is incorporated. Can you tell where the actual bird actually came from?

The bird would have been grown on a farm within 30-40 miles of the plant.

The marketing people have cleared that label with USDA. This is what I was getting at......there are only a handful of actual free range, "Organic" chicken operations around, and most are out west or in New England.

Cage Free is a term generally used to refer to egg laying chickens not living in cages. 100% of meat chickens are cage free.

Antibiotic and growth hormone free is another catch phrase. We cannot afford to feed chickens growth hormones for what they sell for.

If a meat flock of chickens came down sick with a disease which antibiotics could control, they MIGHT use them if it was in the first 2-3 weeks. USDA mandates a withdrawal time from antibiotics before the bird can be processed.

If they treat a flock with antibiotics, then they would divert that flock to a different killing plant to process them. As an industry, MAYBE half of 1% get antibiotics.

Perdue, like all the other processors have their own feed mills, and farmers growing corn, soy, etc. for their feed. Animal by products that have enough soluble protein are more valuable as pet food. Now the corn, soy, etc. fed to the birds is not necessarily grown with only organic fertilizer and no herbicides or insecticides. That's part of where the Organic labels get confusing.

There are some Organic organizations that will provide their seal of approval if the birds are indeed fed only manure fertilized corn, etc.

But that's why I was asking what brand. Fieldale Farms in Baldwin, Ga. has the Springer Mountain Label much the same as the Kroger label the Perdue bird has.

Perdue runs several different breeds, including their Oven Stuffer, which is a proprietary breed well suited to grow to a larger size that develops less body fat. They are sold whole instead of cut up, and are typically a yellow skin bird.

I can tell you Perdue is NOT growing any Free Range. As an industry these scare the hell out of us for the fear of the diseases they can contract from wild birds, ducks, geese, pigeons, etc. for which there are no cures except to kill the flocks and bury them. And, chickens as a rule don't like to be free range as they are instinctively wary of predators and feel safer inside.

For a 5# store bird, they would be 6 weeks old, or less. And then as the weight goes up, so does the age. A 9-10 pound oven stuffer would be in the 10-12 week range, and definitely have more flavor than its 5-6 week old counterpart.

The bird would have been grown on a farm within 30-40 miles of the plant.

The marketing people have cleared that label with USDA. This is what I was getting at......there are only a handful of actual free range, "Organic" chicken operations around, and most are out west or in New England.

Cage Free is a term generally used to refer to egg laying chickens not living in cages. 100% of meat chickens are cage free.

Antibiotic and growth hormone free is another catch phrase. We cannot afford to feed chickens growth hormones for what they sell for.

I can tell you Perdue is NOT growing any Free Range. As an industry these scare the hell out of us for the fear of the diseases they can contract from wild birds, ducks, geese, pigeons, etc. for which there are no cures except to kill the flocks and bury them. And, chickens as a rule don't like to be free range as they are instinctively wary of predators and feel safer inside.

So basic they're selling the same bird for 4 dollars a lb that's in another case with a different label for 99 cents a lb ?

So basic they're selling the same bird for 4 dollars a lb that's in another case with a different label for 99 cents a lb ?

It's not $4/lb. more like $2.89/lb. .10 or more less than what you'd pay per lb for a pack of regular breasts.

I don't normally buy free range from Kroger. But I have a hard time believing that Kroger would go along with slapping their label on a free range bird that reat wasn't free range.

Edited by MrsB

It's not $4/lb. more like $2.89/lb. .10 or more less than what you'd pay per lb for a pack of regular breasts.

I don't normally buy free range from Kroger. But I have a hard time believing that Kroger would go along with slapping their label on a free range bird that reat wasn't free range.

You wouldn't think so would you ?

Did the label say "Free Range" or just organic and the other terms?

Yes and no. Their Oven Stuffer whole birds are generally $1.50 a pound

But yes you are paying more for a bird that is certified to have no adulterants.

Again,99% have no antibiotics etc.

It is indeed a marketing ploy to sell the birds for more.

Perdue, Fieldale etc are providing what Kroger is asking for to meet their label requirements.

Organic is still not a clearly defined term.

All of our USDA meats do indeed meet the standards as laid out on the labels.

Did the label say "Free Range" or just organic and the other terms?

Yes. It says "Free Range". It's Kroger's new Simple Truth Organic brand. But it says Free Range and has the certified stamp on it.