Paulding.com

1980's? Anyone remember?

It was probably the snow jam of Jan. 1982. Everything frozen and the temps did go up much for a week.

I was a supervisor for an insurance co. at the time. The office was closed; but, I was, of course, in the rotation for answering service calls. I got so many calls that I had to take my phone off the hook to go to the bathroom. Frozen pipes are not covered by insurance, so there was not much I could tell them.

It was likely either the winter of '83-'84 or '84-'85.

They were the coldest and most damaging. Those were also the record breaking successive two winters of damage from freezing pipes, crops, etc.

The town of Frostproof Florida had its oranges freeze. Locales in Florida that never needed non-freeze hydrants before had frozen fire hydrants both those years.

1993 had the biggest snow storm here in many decades at least... maybe a hundred years or more. There was thunder and lightening during that snowstorm. I saw jacked up 4 wheel-drive trucks with big tires unable to drive down the road. Drifts were over six feet deep in places in PAULDING COUNTY.

Edited by Well Read

We had the following storms basically 10 years apart.

1973 - The Great Ice Storm, electricity was out in Smyrna for over a week

1982 - Snow Jam 82 (or The Great Surprise Blizzard), many were stuck where they were for at least one night, some for two nights. This storm is one reason the schools now close because they say a storm is coming.

1993 - The Great Snow Storm - this was the deepest snow that the metro ATL area has received in my lifetime and it was the deepest that my parents remembered.

1982 - Snow Jam 1982 (or The Great Surprise Blizzard), many were stuck where they were for at least one night, some for two nights. This storm is one reason the schools now close because they say a storm is closing.

1993 - The Great Snow Storm - this was the deepest snow that the metro ATL area has received in my lifetime and it was the deepest that my parents remembered.

There was another super cold blast in 1985 when the temp reached -8 degrees. I was rebuilding a parking deck at Ashford Dunwoody and 285 where a laborer had cut a dozen post tension cables with a concrete saw and it was just before collapsing. We had to wrap the entire deck with tarps and we had 40 kerosene torpedoes running 24/7 to keep the materials above freezing. I had two guys that did nothing but pump kerosene into heaters 24 hours a day. We burned between 8 and 10 drums of fuel every 24 hours. That was some cold weather.

Yeap! January 1985.

The mains in downtown Atlanta froze. It was the weekend before, and of the International Poultry Exposition with 25000 chicken people in town. The hotels had to use bottled water to flush the toilets, and of curse there were no showers. It was getting kind of rank in the convention hall by Thursday.ninja.gif

We had machines to unload that Sunday/Monday from flat bed trailers. When the forkligts went to pick up the machine, the trailers would lift up with them.....they were frozen to the decks of the trailers. We had to send back to the shop to get acetylene gas and torch to heat the metal to thaw the ice so we could unload. We were lucky in that it only took an hour or so for one of our guys to bring the gear from our shop in Dallas to the Congress Center.

One of my guys then spent most of the rest of that afternoon helping thaw out equipment on other trucks so they could unload.

IThat Saturday, had left an outdoor spigot running at home, kind of a barely visible mist shooting out. MrsS calls me Tuesday morning I think it was to tell me even with that spigot spraying, the pipes had frozen. Thank God none broke.

But by Friday we had a glacier in the back yard, about 2 feet thick, 5-6 feet wide at the blocks at the house, and then fanning out in a delta about 60-70 feet down hill, and it was mid February before it thawed.

That below zero overloads all heating systems here. Our technical "Design" temperature for Metro Atlanta is 30F. When it goes 40 degrees below that the heating systems just can produce enought btu to keep everything at 65F.

Oh what a joy that week was.ninja.gif

• Like 1

1982 - Snow Jam 82 (or The Great Surprise Blizzard), many were stuck where they were for at least one night, some for two nights. This storm is one reason the schools now close because they say a storm is coming.

I remember all those storms. I also remember one morning in 1977 when the alarm clock radio went off & the

weather guy said it was 1 degree outside. I did not want to get up out of my nice warm bed to go to work

It took forever to warm the car. Some things you just never forget.

I have fond memories from all of these. Growing from a child to a parent from '73 to '93 makes the memories even more wonderful. :wub:

BUT IT WAS COLD HAS H3LL!!! :)

I have fond memories from all of these. Growing from a child to a parent from '73 to '93 makes the memories even more wonderful. :wub:

BUT IT WAS COLD HAS H3LL!!! :)

In 1993, we had drifts up to 4 feet in my yard.