Paulding.com

What appliance can you not do w/o?

Yeah I know "first world question."

For me it is a clothes dryer, especially during the winter.

When I was growing up in WPB we hung our laundry out on the line. Towels, and jeans were the worse, they were all stiff and rough. I do remember the smell of the sun with our other clothes.

I also grew up ironing clothes (mom took in laundry for other folks to help ends meet.) I actually enjoy ironing even now. I find it relaxing.

Hand washing dishes, isn't all that bad. My little sister, and I had many conversations while doing this mundane chore.

Well, so far we would all be lost back in the early pioneer days. :drinks:

Hot water? You can boil water to make it hot.

Stove? You know you can pile up rocks to make one of those.

Washer? Yeah that would suck to hand wash everything.

Edited by gog8tors

The only thing I would give up is my microwave. I would miss it, but I want to keep everything else.

Who the hell wants to scrub clothes on the washboard with lye, walk to the spring to get water and build a fire to heat it and cook?

Not me. My granny did that.

Refrigerator. I can and have lived without hot water recently. We don't have a dishwasher, they are very rare in Costa Rica. I don't need a dryer because everything can and does dry quite well on the line. We have dry cleaners and laundry places so I can get away without that. Don't need A/C since it's perfect weather. I can cook without a stove, even thought I wouldn't be happy about it. Hell, that's what restaurants are for. But I don't know what in the hell I'd do without a fridge/freezer.

If wifi were considered an appliance, it would get my vote for most needed.

• Like 1

The only thing I would give up is my microwave. I would miss it, but I want to keep everything else.

Who the hell wants to scrub clothes on the washboard with lye, walk to the spring to get water and build a fire to heat it and cook?

Not me. My granny did that.

What would you use to cook stuff with?

Nope a cold stream will do that. You ever walked thru a mountain stream?

I was hatched on a mountain stream. Actually, the house I grew up in got its water from a spring that came out of the base of a mountain. Cold enough for buttermilk but not cold enough for beer.

Oven. We use it maybe twice a year.

We warm things up on the stove top, microwave and toaster oven. Basically the oven is just a stand for the stove top. When we were first married our oven broke at some point and we never knew until we went to sell the house 4 years later.

I was hatched on a mountain stream. Actually, the house I grew up in got its water from a spring that came out of the base of a mountain. Cold enough for buttermilk but not cold enough for beer.

I guess there is a special temperature for beer. :pardon: So, I'll take your word for it.

1388199576[/url]' post='3869569']

Well, so far we would all be lost back in the early pioneer days. :drinks:

Hot water? You can boil water to make it hot.

Stove? You know you can pile up rocks to make one of those.

Washer? Yeah that would suck to hand wash everything.

Amen. Most people on here would not survive if they had to eat and prepare their food like they did 200 or more years ago. Depending on where you lived and what your occupation was, you most likely lived on or worked for a farm. Most of your existence revolved around the cultivation , processing, harvesting, preserving and prepping your food. Otherwise it was Salted provisions and dried goods with only the occasional fresh meat, fish or veggie dish to compliment your stored provisions. Even cooking was a major undertaking that the woman of the household usually dedicated her service well before dawn. If you were lucky you lived in a city or town with a market and you had money to buy daily necessities, but fresh veggies were usually only seasonal and limited because most had to be preserved quickly. Sausages, dried fish and cheeses were usually the staple for the lower middle classes along with root veggies.

I always laugh at people who insist of everything fresh, fresh, fresh that they eat, they would not have survived 200 years ago...

Amen. Most people on here would not survive if they had to eat and prepare their food like they did 200 or more years ago. Depending on where you lived and what your occupation was, you most likely lived on or worked for a farm. Most of you existence revolved the cultivation , processing, harvesting, preserving and prepping your food. Otherwise it was Salted provisions and dried goods with only the occasional fresh meat, fish or veggie dish to compliment your stored provisions. Even cooking was a major undertaking that the woman of the household usually dedicated her service well before dawn. If you were lucky you lived in a city or town with a market and you had money to buy daily necessities, but fresh veggies were usually only seasonal and limited because most had to be preserved quickly. Sausages, dried fish and cheeses were usually the staple for the lower middle classes along with root veggies.

I always laugh at people who insist of everything fresh, fresh, fresh that they eat, they would not have survived 200 years ago...

Heck, I can barely make it today.

I'm sure that back then I would have been one of the 1st ones gone.

If Darwin didn't get me, then someone would have done away with me, just to shut up my whining.

(on the wagon train west....are we there yet? can we stop for hamburgers? I need a Diet Coke. are we there yet? what, no motels? I need something sweet? are we there yet?)