Paulding.com

Lady begging for gas money?

So I run up to Dominoes to pick up dinner and get stopped in the parking lot by a lady with a story about her grandmother having a heart attack.

She claims she needs gas money to go visit her at Kennestone Hospital. I make it a rule to never give cash to these people because I never know if they are legit or not.

I really felt bad for this lady though so I told her after I picked up my pizza, they could follow me across the street to the Chevron and I would put some gas in her car for her. Well when I came out, she was nowhere to be found.

I don't know why this bothers me so much, but if are approached by a heavyset lady in a Hersheys T-shirt and multiple facial piercings, don't fall for her sob story

Older lady, blue Jeep? She could have changed vehicles by now but sounds like the same lady who has been begging for years. That story sounds very familiar.

Walked off.

yep!

On one of our many trips to Florida before we finally moved, we were approached, separately in fact, by a woman at a truck stop who gave a sob story about having to get back home to somewhere like Mississippi and could we please give her some money to buy gas. I just walked by her and pretended not to hear and hubby told her no. Another customer asked her why SHE was doing the asking when there were two men in the car with her. Why weren't they helping or why didn't they provide help. Last we saw them, they pulled out of the station not long before we did, even though nobody gave them anything (that we saw). The clerk inside said the woman came by pretty often to do that and she hated to see anyone give her anything. She said one person offered to fill up her car at which point she got in and drove off.

You feel bad about it because there's a little part of you that says she just might be telling the truth. 98% of you says it's a scam. Especially since you said you'd buy her some gas when you came out and she was gone. That right there tells the truth.

Hubby was at a station on North Ave a few months ago getting gas and a young girl walked up and told him that she needed gas to get to a job interview and didn't have the any money, would he please get her $5.00 worth. She didn't ask for money and I was shocked when he told me he got her $10.00 in gas simply because she hadn't asked for cash and she seemed straight forward. Hopefully she got the job.

And for the OP, I would have said no. A lady with a very similar description approached me at Town Center not too long ago with the same story. Sorry lady.

Edited by momof 3

Back in 1993 at the Big Star on S. Cobb Dr and Concord Rd, I came out and a lady with two kids in car seats asked me for money so she could feed her kids a Happy Meal at Micky D's.

I asked if she meant the Micky D's right down the road, she did.

I told her I would meet her there and buy her and her kids whatever they wanted to eat.

I was at that Micky D's a couple of weeks ago, she still hasn't showed.

Back in 1993 at the Big Star on S. Cobb Dr and Concord Rd, I came out and a lady with two kids in car seats asked me for money so she could feed her kids a Happy Meal at Micky D's.

I told her I would meet her there and buy her and her kids whatever they wanted to eat.

You always make me laugh, THANK YOU! :good:

I will help anyone in genuine need, that's what I thrive off of. Sometimes it's so very hard to tell, I'm torn a lot of the time. I will never, ever not help a kid out.

I'm wondering, in this case, if it's the same lady who has been doing this for years, the story sounds the same. Her family made a plea last year for no one to give her money, for her own good. People would offer to put gas in her tank but she would refuse, she was after cash. She apparently is addicted to playing the lottery. :unsure:

Crazy nut! :lol:

I have been approached by two different older women lately,

one at Buddy's wanting something to eat because her "check was late". I had $5.00 cash on me and gave it to her, she went right in Buddy's in front of me and bought cigarettes. She then begged the lady at Buddy's for left over breakfast. I left so I don't know what happened but she made her choice, smoking over eating.

Another day a lady gave me the needs gas story at the gas station / store at 61 & Nebo. Since she was already pumping gas and was already at $30 + dollars I told her I didn't have it to give her.

I'm sure the pumps are debit / credit or prepay so she already had $$ for gas. She was trying to get to Paulding Hospital to see a sick friend. I'm pretty sure $30.00+ was going to get her there and back since her tag was from Paulding county.

People are :wacko: I like dogs much more than I like people..

I've been on the law enforcement end of several professional beggars - $10k+ in their extended stay hotel rooms.

A friend was approached by a man and his son at Walmart asking for help paying for their extended stay room. She can be very tenderhearted, but she didn't give them any money.

I'm all about giving at Christmas. My family alone has supported almost 10 kids for Christmas through church, school, and private charities. But, i won't give a stranger money.

:snicker: My thought exactly.

Just sayin'. :D

That's what I thought too, but when the OP mentioned face piercings, I eliminated her. But maybe she's changing her MO. :lol:

She's going undercover, LOL!

So I run up to Dominoes to pick up dinner and get stopped in the parking lot by a lady with a story about her grandmother having a heart attack.

She claims she needs gas money to go visit her at Kennestone Hospital. I make it a rule to never give cash to these people because I never know if they are legit or not.

I really felt bad for this lady though so I told her after I picked up my pizza, they could follow me across the street to the Chevron and I would put some gas in her car for her. Well when I came out, she was nowhere to be found.

I don't know why this bothers me so much, but if are approached by a heavyset lady in a Hersheys T-shirt and multiple facial piercings, don't fall for her sob story

About a 1 1/2 or 2 weeks ago, this same woman with the same exact story was in the same shopping center and approached my husband for money. I was on the phone with him at the time and could hear her "sobbing" and telling him that she needed gas money to go see a relative who had a heart attack and was at Kennestone Hospital. He said she would turn her tears on and off. I don't mind helping people if they really need it but it really bothers me that people lie to get money like this!

There was a man and woman who looked to be in their 50's at the Walmart parking lot the other day with a sign saying something like "2 kids, no Xmas".

When they realized they weren't at the "prime" location to attract money, they relocated in the parking lot.

I didn't see anyone stopping to give them any money.

My husband and I were approached by a woman likethe one that you describe at Kroger on Ridge Road Friday evening. But her grandmother was at Piedmont. She cried buckets of tears. I was afraid we were about to be robbed or hijacked. We gave her five dollars and she disappeared. I reported it to the Kroger manager by phone.

Back before then, back when the MARTA tunnel was being blasted under downtown Atlanta, I was working as a union brick and stone mason. We were working on a high rise in downtown re-attaching the brick that the blasting for MARTA was shaking off the building. We spent our days cutting the brick, so needless to say we were covered in brick dust, nasty as could be. Believe it or not a bum came up to us while we were walking to lunch and asked us for a quarter. My buddy, without missing a beat, said "HEY! This is our side of the street." The guy said "oh sorry man, I'm sorry."

Ah, the good old days.

• Like 1

I get people like that every one in a while. Depending on my mood, I'll either offer to pay for gas (which they never ever take me up on). Never had the hospital one though, if do get one like that I'll ask for the name and say I'm calling the hospital to see if they are there.

A few years ago, while I was stationed at Ft. Gordon, a co-worker and I went to eat lunch off base. As we were walking to the entrance of the restaurant, a man in his 50s asked us if we could give him some gas money. He said he had a doctor's appointment in Atlanta and didn't have the gas to get there. Our senses told us it was a scam and we kept walking.

A couple of days later, we went to the Huddle House on base for breakfast and the guy was standing outside. As we approached told us the same thing he did before. I told him to leave or I would call the MPs. He drove across the street to Burger King and started approaching people there. I called the MPs. Some people have a lot of nerve.

About a 1 1/2 or 2 weeks ago, this same woman with the same exact story was in the same shopping center and approached my husband for money. I was on the phone with him at the time and could hear her "sobbing" and telling him that she needed gas money to go see a relative who had a heart attack and was at Kennestone Hospital. He said she would turn her tears on and off. I don't mind helping people if they really need it but it really bothers me that people lie to get money like this!

There was a man and woman who looked to be in their 50's at the Walmart parking lot the other day with a sign saying something like "2 kids, no Xmas".

When they realized they weren't at the "prime" location to attract money, they relocated in the parking lot.

I didn't see anyone stopping to give them any money.

We were at Walmart on Friday and there was a family, a dad, a Mom holding a little baby and one or two other kids with a sign asking for help. They were at the round about.

Older lady, blue Jeep? She could have changed vehicles by now but sounds like the same lady who has been begging for years. That story sounds very familiar.

yep!

No one has posted on here about that lady in quite some time!! I'm pretty sure that wasn't her!! But, anyone who walks up and asks for money like that, probably just wants cash for alcohol or drugs!!!

Being on the road locally every day I see some of the same ones in different areas.

There are two older men that carry a bag or back pack that look truly homeless, filthy clothes, bushy hair, etc.

One was at Steak & Shake and the other one was across the street on E/W Connector near Cobb Hospital.

I actually saw one of them again a different day getting off the bus and setting up his "need food" sign. This was on S. Cobb Dr.

This guy gratefully accepted a burger, fries and coke and didn't ask for money so I felt ok with that but he is getting money also, if he is able to ride the bus.

I have given a couple of dollars before here and there.

I figure if it is a scam, it's only a couple of bucks, plus maybe they won't shank me and steal my wallet.

You should always carry a little cash, or criminal money, as the late Freddie Prinz used to call it.

I had a lady ask me for gas money the other day! I told her I would put $5 in and went in a told the lady what I was doing I was going to just pay cash but she suggested I out it on my card in case they tried to come in and get the money it would just go back on my card! As I was leaving I thought $5 won't get then far maybe I should have done $10 but u guess $5 can get them to the next has station!

I had a lady come up to me the day we were leaving Hiram to come down here. At the last gas station on 278 leaving Hiram towards Atlanta, in front of what used to be Birdies. My husband was filling up his car and then was going to do mine so I was waiting by the pump. She gave me a story about needing to get her kids from school and asked if I could give her money for gas. I told her no, and she berated me saying I was heartless and obviously didn't have children if I wouldn't help a mother in need. It took all I had not to slap the woman.

I had a lady come up to me the day we were leaving Hiram to come down here. At the last gas station on 278 leaving Hiram towards Atlanta, in front of what used to be Birdies. My husband was filling up his car and then was going to do mine so I was waiting by the pump. She gave me a story about needing to get her kids from school and asked if I could give her money for gas. I told her no, and she berated me saying I was heartless and obviously didn't have children if I wouldn't help a mother in need. It took all I had not to slap the woman.

I love it when beggars have attitude.

I've never had anyone ask me for money like that. If they did I would just tell them to go inside and ask the manager of the gas station for the gas. That is what I did years ago when I ran out of money and couldn't make it home. He gave me $5.00 worth and I told him I needed the address to mail the money and he said don't worry about it.

I would have said "Yes, I'm heartless and hate helping someone who spread her legs and considers perfect strangers to be here second welfare. How much for a blow job though?".

• Like 2

I would have said "Yes, I'm heartless and hate helping someone who spread her legs and considers perfect strangers to be here second welfare. How much for a blow job though?".

I'm fairly certain she didn't need the money for her kids, if she even had any. I have kids, I've been pretty broke, I don't go to shops begging for money for gas from strangers.

I was approached by the same woman with the exact same story in the Kroger parking lot on Ridge rd on 12/17 and told her to meet me at the gas station. She quickly picked got into the passenger seat of an older brown 4 door civic rolled her window down and said her uncle mike was wiring her money. There was a young girl driving and a man with a hoodie on in the backseat :( made me so mad

Edited by bridgett318

We just spent the last week in Orlando for Christmas. 23 years living there I've seen it all. Anyway, got approached in that same manner at a walgreens there by the airport. On her way to a funeral and just ran out of gas. Umm no... It's 10:00 on Tuesday night so not believing this one.

Only time I helped a kid out was at a gas station asked for $2.00 he needed to get a meal to go and told me where he was riding his bike to which was quite a way away in Orlando. Gave him the money and when I was done pumping gas saw him on the sidewalk with the chicken meal he said he was going to get. Something just seemed sincere and straight up with him as I am usually skeptical of everybody.

One of my favorites was a guy at the Chevron on S. Cobb Drive near I-285, the one with a Micky D's.

The guy had this great story, full of details, about his car being out of gas on I-285.

So I did what I normally do, told him I would buy him a gallon of gas, take him to his car, follow him back to the gas station and fill his car up.

Uhhhhh, now he really was just needing the money to get something to eat.

Same deal, I will buy you anything you want to eat at Micky D's, in fact I will eat with you.

In we went and got our food.

I have never seen a man eat a meal and look so sad at the same time.

I said, what did you really want the money for?

A rock of coke.

Maybe you should have just told me that, I might just have gave you $5, just for the honesty.

Now he was really sad.

Back before then, back when the MARTA tunnel was being blasted under downtown Atlanta, I was working as a union brick and stone mason. We were working on a high rise in downtown re-attaching the brick that the blasting for MARTA was shaking off the building. We spent our days cutting the brick, so needless to say we were covered in brick dust, nasty as could be. Believe it or not a bum came up to us while we were walking to lunch and asked us for a quarter. My buddy, without missing a beat, said "HEY! This is our side of the street." The guy said "oh sorry man, I'm sorry."

Ah, the good old days.

:rofl:

I always give if I have it.

Giving isn't about what people do with it, it's about giving because that's what my Bible tells me to do.

There have been exceptions, and I won't be fooled.

I'll never forget someone on here crying about an uncle passing away. I gave her a plane ticket - and then she posted about her BF driving up the next day.

I've never given on pcom again. And never will.

Sad really, a bad apple and all...

:rofl: