Paulding.com

Who grew up in Smyrna?

I hate that name.

I bet we know each other, CHS 76.

I see how many people on here were from Smyrna and I bet we all know each other in some way - I worked at McDonalds for a while - and I cruised South Cobb in my beautiful 66 Impala - hung out with kids from every high school at the various spots - I loved Smyrna and it breaks my heart that all the places talked about so fondly have been bull dozed - things seemed simpler then - kids didnt shoot each other over "turf" and the worse you did to a rival was roll their yard.

I'm new to Smyrna, but one of my favorite places here is Vittles. I know it's been around forever, but has changed it's location once or twice.

That's THE PLACE to go for a good deal on good food! You can even smoke in there. I'm going to my GF's this evening so she can buy me some supper. I know that's where we'll end up going too!! :)

Camping out for ANY tickets at Turtles was a good time held by all! Kids these days have ruined that for themselves. Morons.

I tell you, those were some of the most fun times of my life. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. :)

TRIVIA----

Does anyone know why it was named Gino's??

No, why was it named Ginos?

What about Dante's Pizza??? YUMMO!!! Spent many a Friday night there!

The best pizza ever! The Tomaselli family were such good, people. I went to high school with Dante Jr.

No. Why wa sit named Gino's?

Well, since you asked - - The folks who owned it, originally, had a Pizza King franchise. After they "dropped" the franchise they wanted to stay in the pizza business with as little change over expense as possible they realized they'd only need to change one letter [O] to re-do the signage. Thus KING became GINO...

Well, since you asked - - The folks who owned it, originally, had a Pizza King franchise. After they "dropped" the franchise they wanted to stay in the pizza business with as little change over expense as possible they realized they'd only need to change one letter [O] to re-do the signage. Thus KING became GINO...

That's funny. My parents knew the owners, the Alversons. They built their home near ours in the 70's. Mr.Alverson loved frog legs so, he had these huge type of frogs shipped from Texas. When he put them in the "frog pond" the snakes ate all of the frogs.

My grandfather started going to Vittles probably about 25-30 years ago and was a regular up until he died in 96. It used to be in a building right next door to where it is now, that burnt down I think in the early 90s. I remember that place being much bigger than the current one too. Of course if Mace (the owner) didn't have all that stuff in there it would look bigger anyway. There also used to be a couple other locations but they closed.

It's a modest place that serves good cheap southern food and the people are nice. That's why my family has gone there for years.

Vittle's must be good. My brother got food poisoning there 3 times! :lol: I guess he didn't learn after the first 2 times.

1387404129[/url]' post='3867238']

You got to admit, that is some good eating if you get sick twice and go back for more.

It must have been. :lol:

This was back in the late 90's. I'm sure they've cleaned since then.

bad.gif

Edited by Cranemec

Vittle's must be good. My brother got food poisoning there 3 times! :lol: I guess he didn't learn after the first 2 times.

I don't particularly like Vittles. They have a smoking section and non-smoking section. Even though there is a doorway between the two sections, smoke always comes over to the non-smoking side... It's so bad it gives me a headache.

Found a picture the other day of my best friend and me at a table in the old Vittles after the bars closed. They were 24/7 back then and long about 2:15 am the show started.

Smyrna was a big party back in the day. We'd slam that place and every person in there would be LIT UP. It was just like still being at the bar for another couple hours. Folks snuck in there own booze, questionable substances, you name it. Fights would break out every once in a while, not to mention just huge wrecks on South Cobb Dr. right out front. You just never new.

It wasn't just a meal, it was an experience AND possible poisoning!

I spent my teen years in Smyrna. As a younger child I would go to the Music Mart with my Daddy on Saturdays and hear some awesome country music, back when it was real country, not country pop. lol. Loved Old South BBq, and The Magnolia Room in Rich's-not to mention the Rich's bakery. McEntrye's is still awesome, and run by awesome people. My Mama used to love to eat at the Sizzler (I think that is the name of it.) Good times, growing up- driving up and down South Cobb drive. Anyone remember Grandma's Biscuits? We used to skip homeroom and go get breakfast there.

I spent my teen years in Smyrna. As a younger child I would go to the Music Mart with my Daddy on Saturdays and hear some awesome country music, back when it was real country, not country pop. lol. Loved Old South BBq, and The Magnolia Room in Rich's-not to mention the Rich's bakery. McEntrye's is still awesome, and run by awesome people. My Mama used to love to eat at the Sizzler (I think that is the name of it.) Good times, growing up- driving up and down South Cobb drive. Anyone remember Grandma's Biscuits? We used to skip homeroom and go get breakfast there.

Yes! I remember Grandma's Biscuits, we went there before school all of the time. The best biscuits ever. Well, besides my mama's! Do you or anyone else remember Sharp's records right next door? Hi Terri if your reading this by chance.

I grew up in Smyrna and remember every single one of the places mentioned!! Every day, I drive down Windy Hill road going to and from work, and It's had to forget that from Atlanta Road to South Cobb Drive was Cherokee Street and from South Cobb to Austell Road was Jones Shaw Road!!! Spent so much time at Belmont Hills Shopping Center, it was like home away from home!! I remember getting out of school early in 12th grade to go to work and eating at Burger King---cheese whopper, fries, and coke for $1.08!!!

I grew up in Smyrna and remember every single one of the places mentioned!! Every day, I drive down Windy Hill road going to and from work, and It's had to forget that from Atlanta Road to South Cobb Drive was Cherokee Street and from South Cobb to Austell Road was Jones Shaw Road!!! Spent so much time at Belmont Hills Shopping Center, it was like home away from home!! I remember getting out of school early in 12th grade to go to work and eating at Burger King---cheese whopper, fries, and coke for $1.08!!!

I still call then Cherokee St. and Jones Shaw Rd.

I'm to old to learn new names.

I still call then Cherokee St. and Jones Shaw Rd.

I'm to old to learn new names.

I don't remember this since it was before my time, but I thought you might.

Have you ever heard the story about a military jet crashing alose to Milford Elementary School?

My late father-in-law was an eye witness.

I don't remember this since it was before my time, but I thought you might.

Have you ever heard the story about a military jet crashing alose to Milford Elementary School?

My late father-in-law was an eye witness.

The only jet crash I remember was back around 1989 and it crashed into some apartments on Windy Hill Rd, near the Marine base.

In fact a good friend of mine used to live in those apartments a couple of years before the crash.

I asked my mother, who lived in Smyrna since the early 50's and she doesn't recall a crash at Milford either.

(of course she often calls me by my uncle's name, so.......)

ETA Staranddrusnana is from Smyrna and she is a hair older than me, so she may know something

The only jet crash I remember was back around 1989 and it crashed into some apartments on Windy Hill Rd, near the Marine base.

In fact a good friend of mine used to live in those apartments a couple of years before the crash.

I asked my mother, who lived in Smyrna since the early 50's and she doesn't recall a crash at Milford either.

(of course she often calls me by my uncle's name, so.......)

ETA Staranddrusnana is from Smyrna and she is a hair older than me, so she may know something

You're right. The jet crash was over near 41. There was some sort of catastrophe right at the Miford Baptist(?) Church. But for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

You're right. The jet crash was over near 41. There was some sort of catastrophe right at the Miford Baptist(?) Church. But for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

My hubby said he remembers a jet hitting a house with two old ladies inside. He doesn't remember if the ladies died.

I found this about The Hummingbird crashing in Fair Oakes.My link

Scroll down for eyewitness reports.

My hubby said he remembers a jet hitting a house with two old ladies inside. He doesn't remember if the ladies died.

I found this about The Hummingbird crashing in Fair Oakes.My link

Scroll down for eyewitness reports.

On the crash in '89, my memory says that at least two people died.

My Husband was born and raised in Smyrna. His Mom still lives in the house where he grew up. And Fat boys was an awesome place. Haven't tried there new restaurant, but hear it is just as good if not better