Paulding.com

Who grew up in Smyrna?

I've been craving a Chuckwagon Steak Sandwich from Fat Boy in Smyrna. Those were the best...

I was bummed out to find out they are no longer there. I've been spending some time over in Smyrna since my GF moved there a couple of months ago. We were both CHS class of 83 home bodies.

True story. Also, McEntyre's Bakery in Jonquil Plaza (till they moved). Mmmmmmmmmmm. :)

I used to go by there every week or two and pick up some pies......YUM

I used to work at the Central Office there across the tracks.

All those places are part of my memories.

I ate at the Fat Boy the last week they were open.

Had many a dog at the Dogs N Suds.

I used to be a bag boy at JD's Big Boy (Red Dot) grocery store in Jonquil Plaza, so I had something from McEntyre's every Saturday.

I also had many a meal at the Dunaway Drugs Store's luncheonette counter.

I grew up in Kennwood back in the 60's. I remember fatboys, the hotdogs were my moms favorite. I remember Sandy's Hamburgers, across from Cobb Center. I loved shopping there and then going to the Rexall Drugstore lunch counter. Brothers attended Nash and Pebblebrook.

Class of 82. Don't remember Dogs and Suds. But I do remember Fat Boys and miss McIntyre's!! Those who said to try Come 'n Get It are correct. and they make a mean meatloaf (I have only ever liked mine). I miss those days at times. So free and innocent!!!!!!

graduated from Wills.....I used to be a bagboy at the A & P grocery store in Belmont Hills

I used to love Lums hot dogs on South Cobb Dr.

The fountain at Dunaway Drug Store where I'd order a Coke Float.

Bill's Family Restaurant on Concord Road

Campbell's Restaurant

Aunt Fanny's Cabin

the list could go on... Things have changed a lot in the last 40 years or so

• Like 1

graduated from Wills.....I used to be a bagboy at the A & P grocery store in Belmont Hills

Campbell's Restaurant

Aunt Fanny's Cabin

They had some cold beer at Lums.

I grew up in Kennwood back in the 60's. I remember fatboys, the hotdogs were my moms favorite. I remember Sandy's Hamburgers, across from Cobb Center. I loved shopping there and then going to the Rexall Drugstore lunch counter. Brothers attended Nash and Pebblebrook.

I didn't go to either, but if your brother that went to Pebblebrook was there in the early to mid seventies, I bet I know him.

I was supposed to be at South Cobb but logged more hours at Pebblebrook.

My wife went to Kenwood Elementary and Pebblebrook.

Oh, and if you lived there you probably knew or at least knew of the Hembee brothers. I just heard that Dennis passed away a few days ago.

I didn't go to either, but if your brother that went to Pebblebrook was there in the early to mid seventies, I bet I know him.

Oh, and if you lived there you probably knew or at least knew of the Hembee brothers. I just heard that Dennis passed away a few days ago.

Did they have electricity at Pebblebrook back then?

I knew the Hembree brothers. I am sad to hear of Dennis passing. My brothers as well as the Hembree brothers are older than myself. PM on the way to see if you know any of my kin.

Campbell's Restaurant

Aunt Fanny's Cabin

I went to McEachern but frequented Cobb Center....I worked at Steak n Shake on South Cobb Drive and cruised there and South Cobb Drive many times.

I also remember Campbell's, Miracle Theatre, Belmont Hills Theatre (saw Jaws there when it first came out), Fat Boy's, Ol' South BBQ, got my class ring from Harris Jewelry, bought my wedding cake from McEntyre's Bakery. Those were the days!

My wife said she would pay big bucks for a Sany's Hi-Lo right now.

I was a telephone man in Smyrna.i put the phones in fat boys when it was built that was in the late 60s. was from oakdale

I was a telephone man in Smyrna.i put the phones in fat boys when it was built that was in the late 60s. was from oakdale

Didn't grow up in Smyrna, but came of age there from the mid 70's thru the 80's.

Those of you with the more questionable pasts in Smyrna around then, I'm the one you pass in Hiram and think to yourself "hey I know that guy."

Nobody has mentioned Howard's Deli. Great food and beer.

And I know it's not in Smyrna, but when I was in high school it just wasn't the week-end if you didn't go to Shoney's on 41 and ride around and around and around with your glasspacks sounding off.

My dad was a Pastor at a Church in Smyrna when I was young.

He would always go to Fat Boys after the service. If someone needed him they would just call the restaurant (this was before cell phones of course).

The person that stated Come and Get it are the same people that ran Fat Boys, is correct.

Come and Get it is awesome.

As far as Smyrna goes......I went there a few weeks ago and never plan on going back. :blush:

Edited by mysterious

I'm new to Smyrna, but one of my favorite places here is Vittles. I know it's been around forever, but has changed it's location once or twice.

My grandfather started going to Vittles probably about 25-30 years ago and was a regular up until he died in 96. It used to be in a building right next door to where it is now, that burnt down I think in the early 90s. I remember that place being much bigger than the current one too. Of course if Mace (the owner) didn't have all that stuff in there it would look bigger anyway. There also used to be a couple other locations but they closed.

It's a modest place that serves good cheap southern food and the people are nice. That's why my family has gone there for years.

I've been craving a Chuckwagon Steak Sandwich from Fat Boy in Smyrna. Those were the best...

The only thing I ever ate there was a chili dog and onion rings........and I ate a lot of those!!! Where did you go to school? I went to Wills and so did Hubby.

Go to Come and Get It on 41 by Cobb EMC. This place is owned the same family. Has all the old favorites.

Holy moly!! Are you serious?? I know where I'm headed this weekend!!!

True story. Also, McEntyre's Bakery in Jonquil Plaza (till they moved). Mmmmmmmmmmm. :)

Yummy, yum yum yum!!! They moved just up Concord rd, we had lunch there a couple of months ago.

Campbell's Restaurant

Aunt Fanny's Cabin

I have a square cast iron cornbread pan and 3 table cloths from there, I got them at the auction after they closed up.

How about Kesslers, Milton Bradley, Johnny Walker, Bakers and Woolworth at Cobb Canter????

Camping out at Turtle's for Journey tickets, good times! :drinks:

OMG.....Turtles. I spent many a night sitting on that sidewalk waiting for concert tickets. And I met Hubby at JC Penney Outlet in the same strip, so I definitely have fond memories of Belmont Hills.

Nobody has mentioned Howard's Deli. Great food and beer.

And I know it's not in Smyrna, but when I was in high school it just wasn't the week-end if you didn't go to Shoney's on 41 and ride around and around and around with your glasspacks sounding off.

Love Howards!!!!

Edited by momof 3

There is a F/B page called SmyrnaVille - there are some wonderful pictures and lots of memories discussed - have come across several folks I grew up with on that page - I was CHS 75

I dont go back there much anymore either....I want to remember it with the places mentioned - and they are just about all now just memories.....

There is a F/B page called SmyrnaVille - there are some wonderful pictures and lots of memories discussed - have come across several folks I grew up with on that page - I was CHS 75

I dont go back there much anymore either....I want to remember it with the places mentioned - and they are just about all now just memories.....

I hate that name.

I bet we know each other, CHS 76.

I went to Belmont Hills Elementary in 66. I was in the first grade. My parents had a problem with the principal at Kennwood elementary, Mr.Livingston. I attended Kenwood later on after my brothers went to Nash.

Speaking of Howards, that was the last place my dad and I had lunch before he passed in October.

post-5399-0-52824200-1386684749_thumb.jpg This is the house I grew up in until we moved to PC in 1970.