Paulding.com

Dad charged with theft over a nickels worth of juice for his electric car

Dad charged with theft over a nickels worth of juice for his electric car

A Georgia electric car owner was charged with theft after plugging his vehicle into a school’s power supply.

Kaveh Kamooneh said he charged his Nissan Leaf for about 20 minutes one Saturday last month while his 11-year-old son played tennis.

While the car was plugged into an exterior outlet at Chamblee Middle School, Kamooneh said he looked over and noticed a police officer sitting inside his vehicle.

“He said that he was going to charge me with theft by taking because I was taking power, electricity from the school,” Kamooneh said.

Kamooneh said that he’d drawn only about a nickel’s worth of electricity from the school, and electric vehicle advocate Don Francis, of Clean Cities Atlanta, said that estimate was accurate. But police said the amount didn’t matter.

“I’m not sure how much electricity he stole,” said Sgt. Ernesto Ford, of Chamblee police. “He broke the law. He stole something that wasn’t his.”

Officers came to Kamooneh’s home about 10 days later and arrested him, but he thinks the charge is unwarranted, comparing his action to charging a cell phone in a public place without permission or drinking from a spigot without consent. “I do believe that theft is theft, but I don’t agree that every taking without permission is theft,” Kamooneh said.

Kamooneh said he intended to fight the charge and was talking with lawyers about other possible legal actions.

Click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS

Kroger installed those charging stations in two of their best parking spots, and I have yet to see anyone use them. Those electric car people are quick to put a flier on your car if you park there though. Next time I'd like to catch them in the act :ninja:

Edited by Happy Wife And Mom

Well I hope that "justice" is served across the board, and all the students and teachers which charge their cell phones pads and laptops get their day in court for theft. Oh yeah the county and city employees that do the same thing should should be charged also.

• Like 1

I don't think I have ever see, or noticed at least, a car plug in. I'm thinking it's fairly customized for that purpose. What's the difference between that and a water fountain?

Maybe you can use 120 by using an adapter. I'm not sure.

I apparently have a different take on this story. I saw it on the news and who's to say that charging his car with county electricity cost the tax payers only a nickel? Why is it OK for this guy to get free electricity to charge a car he chose to buy? Would any one of you let him drive into your driveway and plug in simply because he wanted or needed to? Would it be OK for 10 people to do this? 20? 100? No it wouldn't. If you buy an electric car, be prepared to charge it on your own 'nickel' or at a designated charging station.

And I don't believe for a second that it was only 5 cents worth of electricity, he charged it for 25-30 minutes. There are different rates for different times of the day, and different times of the year. He doesn't work for the power company so he actually has no clue how much that charge cost the county. It seems arrogant to me that he thought he could plug in his car where ever he wanted to, especially when he wasn't paying for it.

I don't think that he should have been arrested for it though.

• Like 2

It seems arrogant to me that he thought he could plug in his car where ever he wanted to, especially when he wasn't paying for it.

I think this is pretty much my take on it. No, he shouldn't have plugged it in. But a crime worth arresting for? Perhaps could be handled by fine? IDK.

Well all of you whom think that he was in the wrong probably have used electricity in an illicit manner yourself. But woe to the electric car owners for doing it.

Personally think that his taxes pay for the operation of his school district. Nobody is crying about the wasted money for the school systems, only about a man charging a battery.

Doesn't seem centsible to me.

The price is based on the general assumption that electricity is somewhere between 10-15 cents a kilowatt hour. It used to be cheaper.

A kilowatt, of course, is 1000 watts is the juice consumed by 10-100 watt light bulbs running continuously. He figured the time - 20 minutes and the watt rate, 1000/watt rated charger, and using the 'shorthand cost of electricity' of 10 cents a kwh/ and half-hour is a nickel. The charging rate for a 220 volt circuit is, BTW, significantly higher.

I think we do the officers no service in thinking they don't know the 'value' of the theft - I suspect they know it was about a nickels worth of juice - it was the principal of the thing that bothered them.

Too bad the local cops are not well versed in the value of electricity ... or maybe they were.

pubby

Considering the shape Chamblee is in, I'd think they have WAY more to be dealing with than a dude plugging in his car illegally, Write him a ticket already and be done with it.

the officer took the man's information and no doubt, after consultation with higher ups probably including at least an assistant DA, came back ten days after the incident with an arrest warrant.

After the delay, maybe a phone call saying there was an incident report filed and if we catch you doing that again, we will press charges for theft if you're that much of a hard ass.

I believe a fine would be more appropriate. I agree that stealing is stealing, but sometimes common sense needs to be taken into consideration. Can you imagine how angry jurors would be if they had to miss work to sit on a case such as this one?

It's not just the nickle's worth of juice.

The guy is obviously a liberal, as no conservative would be caught dead riding in an electric car, muchless own one. The real theft is the Imperial Federal Government's subsidy of those POS glorified golf carts, using tax credits and the like to force another bad idea down the throats of the American citizenry.

Unfortunately, this moron "motorist" has already bred and passed the stupid gene along to his son.

• Like 1

Let me first ask you folks a question. Hoe would you feel of some random person stopped i n front of your home and ran an extension cord to your outlet so they could charge their car? How many would it take to add up and affect your bill?

So with that question in mind, the officer was entirely correct. It is a theft of service. And it has a specific charge since it is a utility. I do not think the last parr comes into plsy here becsuse the person suffering the loss is the BOE and not the elect. Comp. So again the LEO was correct... tecnically. The law itself is blind. The judge is the God of the court and meets out punishment. In this case I would expect to se the judge take a VERY pragmatic approach. Give the BOE their nickel if they want it and do not do it again. Since the BOE did not have charging stations installed it should be obvious that they do not want you to charge your car there. That Is also plainly obvious. This guy made a simple error in judgement but if he had not had the entitlement attitude that is so prevalent today he would never have dreamed of taking someone else's electricity.

I had to go to the SS office years ago to get a replacent card. I lady walked in and plugged her cell phone into an outlet. The guard promptly walked over and told her to unplug it. She just could not understand that that electricity was not hers for thw taking. I thought they were going to get into a knock down drag out over it.

• Like 1

What difference does it make that he's a dad?

I see news reports all the time about mothers or fathers of however many children getting killed or arrested ....is that all they are? Even though I'm a mother of four, stepmother of four, I'd be pissed as hell if that's the only way the news could come up with to describe me.

I apparently have a different take on this story. I saw it on the news and who's to say that charging his car with county electricity cost the tax payers only a nickel? Why is it OK for this guy to get free electricity to charge a car he chose to buy? Would any one of you let him drive into your driveway and plug in simply because he wanted or needed to? Would it be OK for 10 people to do this? 20? 100? No it wouldn't. If you buy an electric car, be prepared to charge it on your own 'nickel' or at a designated charging station.

And I don't believe for a second that it was only 5 cents worth of electricity, he charged it for 25-30 minutes. There are different rates for different times of the day, and different times of the year. He doesn't work for the power company so he actually has no clue how much that charge cost the county. It seems arrogant to me that he thought he could plug in his car where ever he wanted to, especially when he wasn't paying for it.

Are you kidding me???

Edited by Tahoe

Let me first ask you folks a question. Hoe would you feel of some random person stopped i n front of your home and ran an extension cord to your outlet so they could charge their car? How many would it take to add up and affect your bill?

So with that question in mind, the officer was entirely correct. It is a theft of service. And it has a specific charge since it is a utility. I do not think the last parr comes into plsy here becsuse the person suffering the loss is the BOE and not the elect. Comp. So again the LEO was correct... tecnically. The law itself is blind. The judge is the God of the court and meets out punishment. In this case I would expect to se the judge take a VERY pragmatic approach. Give the BOE their nickel if they want it and do not do it again. Since the BOE did not have charging stations installed it should be obvious that they do not want you to charge your car there. That Is also plainly obvious. This guy made a simple error in judgement but if he had not had the entitlement attitude that is so prevalent today he would never have dreamed of taking someone else's electricity.

I had to go to the SS office years ago to get a replacent card. I lady walked in and plugged her cell phone into an outlet. The guard promptly walked over and told her to unplug it. She just could not understand that that electricity was not hers for thw taking. I thought they were going to get into a knock down drag out over it.

But what does everyone on this board scream all the time....I am a taxpaying citizen. My taxes pay government salaries and I pay to keep the power turned on it this place!!!

As far as my house, if it was going to determine whether he made it down the road or not, absoutley I would allow him to plug in to my house. Cause I'm just nice like that.... :pardon:

Edited by Tahoe

From the PD via 11 Alive News...11 Alive

"We received a 911 call advising that someone was plugged into the power outlet behind the middle school. The responding officer located the vehicle in the rear of the building at the kitchen loading dock up against the wall with a cord run to an outlet. The officer spent some time trying to determine whose vehicle it was. It was unlocked and he eventually began looking through the interior after verifying it did not belong to the school system.

The officer, his marked patrol vehicle and the electric vehicle were all in clear view of the tennis courts. Eventually, a man on the courts told the officer that the man playing tennis with him owned the vehicle. The officer went to the courts and interviewed the vehicle owner. The officer's initial incident report gives a good indication of how difficult and argumentative the individual was to deal with. He made no attempt to apologize or simply say oops and he wouldn't do it again. Instead he continued being argumentative, acknowledged he did not have permission and then accused the officer of having damaged his car door. The officer told him that was not true and that the vehicle and existing damage was already on his vehicles video camera from when he drove up.

Given the uncooperative attitude and accusations of damage to his vehicle, the officer chose to document the incident on an incident report. The report was listed as misdemeanor theft by taking. The officer had no way of knowing how much power had been consumed, how much it cost nor how long it had been charging.

The report made its way to Sgt Ford's desk for a follow up investigation. He contacted the middle school and inquired of several administrative personnel whether the individual had permission to use power. He was advised no. Sgt. Ford showed a photo to the school resource officer who recognized Mr. Kamooneh. Sgt Ford was further advised that Mr. Kamooneh had previously been advised he was not allowed on the school tennis courts without permission from the school . This was apparently due to his interfering with the use of the tennis courts previously during school hours."

It seems that he is not as innocent as he is leading us to believe.

Edited by chainshaw1
  • Like 1

From the PD via 11 Alive News...11 Alive

"We received a 911 call advising that someone was plugged into the power outlet behind the middle school. The responding officer located the vehicle in the rear of the building at the kitchen loading dock up against the wall with a cord run to an outlet. The officer spent some time trying to determine whose vehicle it was. It was unlocked and he eventually began looking through the interior after verifying it did not belong to the school system.

The officer, his marked patrol vehicle and the electric vehicle were all in clear view of the tennis courts. Eventually, a man on the courts told the officer that the man playing tennis with him owned the vehicle. The officer went to the courts and interviewed the vehicle owner. The officer's initial incident report gives a good indication of how difficult and argumentative the individual was to deal with. He made no attempt to apologize or simply say oops and he wouldn't do it again. Instead he continued being argumentative, acknowledged he did not have permission and then accused the officer of having damaged his car door. The officer told him that was not true and that the vehicle and existing damage was already on his vehicles video camera from when he drove up.

Given the uncooperative attitude and accusations of damage to his vehicle, the officer chose to document the incident on an incident report. The report was listed as misdemeanor theft by taking. The officer had no way of knowing how much power had been consumed, how much it cost nor how long it had been charging.

The report made its way to Sgt Ford's desk for a follow up investigation. He contacted the middle school and inquired of several administrative personnel whether the individual had permission to use power. He was advised no. Sgt. Ford showed a photo to the school resource officer who recognized Mr. Kamooneh. Sgt Ford was further advised that Mr. Kamooneh had previously been advised he was not allowed on the school tennis courts without permission from the school . This was apparently due to his interfering with the use of the tennis courts previously during school hours."

It seems that he is not as innocent as he is leading us to believe.

More proof he is an entitled liberal. :lol:

• Like 1

Say the school had a bus depot out back where they had a gas pump for fueling buses and other school vehicles. If the man had pulled up to the pump and started putting gas in his car would you think it wasn't a big deal?

Why thank you. All of these people are quick to run to the media feeling like they have been wronged and apparently forget how they brought these events about.

Your very welcome!

IKR, all he had to do was play nice and get along with the others! Sounds pretty simple to me. :pardon:

Edited by Dana

Say the school had a bus depot out back where they had a gas pump for fueling buses and other school vehicles. If the man had pulled up to the pump and started putting gas in his car would you think it wasn't a big deal?

I'm sure there are folks who would try to use the argument that since he's a taxpayer, he's entitled to do just that...

The guy was wrong and he's being punished. End of story.

• Like 1

It's a waste of taxpayers time and money. The man has said he is prepared to take this to court, and if he wants he has every right to demand a trial by jury. The arresting officer will have to spend his day in court instead of being out on the street doing his job.( Which is evidently arresting people for misdemeanors and petty crimes).

Over a nickel's worth of electricity, please !

* Having said that if reports are true the man does sound like he's a DH but being a DH is so far not against the law.

Edited by CitizenCain
  • Like 1

Yes there is the principal of the theft and I know we can't let even so much as the theft of a nickel go unpunished.

But as I understand it, the 2012 GOP presidential candidate favored zero capital gains taxes and the following, as I understand it, considered capital gain income that we shouldn't tax. With me?

Say you were an investment company and owned some credit default swaps that would pay you $15 million if a third company didn't pay a particular debt by a particular specific day.

Say you knew they were going to pay but you had an opportunity to buy the bond the credit default swap was written to insure.

Say you bought that debt and then instructed the company that owned the debt to delay payment for two days past the deadline, thus making a cool $15 million.

So the company that owed the debt delayed payment, tripping the payoff on the credit default swap instrument that you, as the debt holder told them to default on but didn't penalize them and collected your regular 'expected' payment two days later.

InLA, if you don't know, a credit default swap is a hedge or an insurance policy. So what they did was kind of like insurance fraud only it was legal because credit default swaps aren't - not by description or use but by legal definition a sophisticated investment instrument not regulated as an insurance product.

Of course this is perfectly legal and everyone on wall street is patting the perps in this case on the back. Here's the story on Bloomberg News

But yes, we definitely need to throw this guy in the clink for stealing a nickels worth of electricity ... but since he didn't steal that from wall street, we need to cut their taxes even more, don't you think! I mean that's fair, isn't it. We're supposed to grovel in the presence of such genius especially when it is carving out exceptions to laws like theft and fraud that makes the act of thievery and fraud not thievery or fraud.

Some how I think we've fallen into a rabbit hole.

pubby

Yes there is the principal of the theft and I know we can't let even so much as the theft of a nickel go unpunished.

But as I understand it, the 2012 GOP presidential candidate favored zero capital gains taxes and the following, as I understand it, considered capital gain income that we shouldn't tax. With me?

Say you were an investment company and owned some credit default swaps that would pay you $15 million if a third company didn't pay a particular debt by a particular specific day.

Say you knew they were going to pay but you had an opportunity to buy the bond the credit default swap was written to insure.

Say you bought that debt and then instructed the company that owned the debt to delay payment for two days past the deadline, thus making a cool $15 million.

So the company that owed the debt delayed payment, tripping the payoff on the credit default swap instrument that you, as the debt holder told them to default on but didn't penalize them and collected your regular 'expected' payment two days later.

InLA, if you don't know, a credit default swap is a hedge or an insurance policy. So what they did was kind of like insurance fraud only it was legal because credit default swaps aren't - not by description or use but by legal definition a sophisticated investment instrument not regulated as an insurance product.

Of course this is perfectly legal and everyone on wall street is patting the perps in this case on the back. Here's the story on Bloomberg News

But yes, we definitely need to throw this guy in the clink for stealing a nickels worth of electricity ... but since he didn't steal that from wall street, we need to cut their taxes even more, don't you think! I mean that's fair, isn't it. We're supposed to grovel in the presence of such genius especially when it is carving out exceptions to laws like theft and fraud that makes the act of thievery and fraud not thievery or fraud.

Some how I think we've fallen into a rabbit hole.

pubby

1 Peter 3:9

New Century Version (NCV)

9 Do not do wrong to repay a wrong, and do not insult to repay an insult. But repay with a blessing, because you yourselves were called to do this so that you might receive a blessing.

It does not justify this man "stealing" because some others steal (in your eyes) without being punished.

Jeez....this place is something else. One day LE is hammered because don't treat something minor like the Lindbergh kidnapping and the next they are hammered for doing their job.

Bottom line is this guy was a thief, what he did was wrong and any reasonable honest person knows that. The school showed it had no intention of donating the tax payers electricity by the absence of a charging station so he takes it upon himself to pull around back and use his own extension cord. He then goes and plays tennis on the same courts he was previously told not to return to. Responding to a citizen complain the officer is unable to correct the behavior by explaining the legal implications due to what appears to be an entitlement mentality displayed by the car owner.

My take is if you have exhausted all other measures of correction then it is time to take the next step. For those who say it is wrong because they didn't just 'fine him' or 'ticket him', the world does not work that way. The officer just can't make up a citation and fine for 'illegally charging you electric car'. What he did is a theft, the officer only choice is to charge appropriately and leave it up to the courts.

The CJ system is never a money maker and while value of a theft has is a mitigating factor is has little effect on prosecution, the intent is the key issue. If value was the key factor we would stop prosecuting lots of crimes including 90% of all shoplifting cases along with numerous other crimes that cause no damage or property loss.

Edited by Ugadawgs98
  • Like 1

It's a waste of taxpayers time and money. The man has said he is prepared to take this to court, and if he wants he has every right to demand a trial by jury. The arresting officer will have to spend his day in court instead of being out on the street doing his job.( Which is evidently arresting people for misdemeanors and petty crimes).

Over a nickel's worth of electricity, please !

* Having said that if reports are true the man does sound like he's a DH but being a DH is so far not against the law.

While I agree this is a total waste of money you do have to understand a few things.

1. A 911 call was made and an officer was dispat he'd to investigate. 911 can not say no we will not send an officer.

2. A CRIME WAS COMMITTED. Whether or not we think it warrants going to court is not the point.

3. Apparantly the officer TRIED TO BE NICE and understanding about what happened but the violator appears to have an entitled attitude and made no attempt to assist the officer in his attempt to DOWNPLAY this incident.

4. The school is a asset of the local government and generally speaking it is up to govwrnment employees to oversee what is best for that asset.

5. The courts have a SLAM DUNK CASE and this guy knows it. When he goes to court HE WILL LOSE. He is the one wasting taxpayer monies by forcing a court case. Therefore if I were the judge that ruled on this I would throw the book at him on principle. DO NOT WASTE GOVERNMENT TIME AND MONEY on frivilous court costs. In short looser pays.

And yes, given my view of this from the updated info I have decided the officer, the BOE and the courts are not the bad guys here.

This is a total waste of time but it os ALL BECAUSE of this one guy's attitude.

• Like 1

Nope. I would think he's a moron for putting gas in an electric vehicle. :rofl:

There is a difference between a "principle" and a "principal". 8)

I went back and corrected it... did I type it wrong a second time as well? I know full well the principal is my " pal".

Nope. I would think he's a moron for putting gas in an electric vehicle. :rofl:

DOOOH!!!

Almost as bas as putting diesel in your gasoline engine.