Paulding.com

Question about car title

Happy Thanksgiving,

I have a question that I hope someone can help me answer. I am looking for a pickup truck. My preference is a mid 2000s Toyota Tacoma with a V6, automatic. Doesnt really matter if it has 4WD or not. Anyway, I found one on AutoTrader in Spartanburg, SC. The distance isnt a problem and I would rive up there and get it. The truck is perfect in that it has everything that I want. What is concerning to me is that the guy said it had been in a minor wreck. He said the front bumper, drvers headlight, drvers fender and hood were replaced.He said it still had the original radiator in it and the radiator supports did not beed to be replaced. I can live with that if the repairs were done right.

When I ran a Carfax on it last night, and got the following warnings: Total loss reported on 8/23/2013. Accident damage DMV title problems reported. Total loss vehicle. Dalvage Title Certificate Issued.

However, the report also says No airbag deployment and no structural damage.

What would you suggest I do. If the damage was minor and fixed properly I would like to have it but I also dont want to buy someone elses problems. The car is three hours away. Any suggestions?

Stay home.

When I ran a Carfax on it last night, and got the following warnings: Total loss reported on 8/23/2013. Accident damage DMV title problems reported. Total loss vehicle. Dalvage Title Certificate Issued.

What would you suggest I do.

http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/salvaged-vehicles.php

Here's info on what's required to title & tag a car that has been issued a salvage title after being totaled.

I've got friends who bought a repaired VW with a salvage title. The Craig's List seller told them they only had to have the DOT sign off on the tag. The car looks and drives great . There are no photographs, invoices for parts or record of an approved shop making the repairs. They have been working 2 years to tag it with no success towards receiving a tag.

Once the guy said that the vehicle had been in a "minor accident," I would have passed, even if Carfax had not listed any such thing. That is a standard CYA-type statement to make when trying to unload an undesirable vehicle. But the Carfax listing just confirms it even more. RUN, do not walk, away.

There are way too many vehicles in America to settle for one you have questions about.

The last car I bought I drove 5 hours to Savannah to get it...absolute "clean Car Fax"!

After getting it, we had a minor accident in it ourselves...turns out the car had been wrecked before per the body shop.

I guess there is know way of really knowing, but in your case, I think I'd walk away.

I bought a van for my daughter. I got a Carfax on it. Didn't show anything major being wrong with it but it did show lapses in registration that shouldn't have happened. Son in law went to test drive it. It ran fine, looked decent so I sent them the money to buy it. They got it, cleaned it up, he took it to get the emission done which it passed with flying colors. They decided to come to our house, driving from Smyrna to Powder Springs. They got IN the Covered Bridge and it broke down. Van never ran right after that. Never. But it did run part of the time. A few months later, my son in law saw the seller at the store. He acted very surprised to see the van in the parking lot. In fact, he said "you're still driving the van?" Turned out the transmission was shot and apparently once it got too warm, which it was prone to do, it would stop working correctly. The last time it quit as my son in law was driving across the railroad track in Austell and he had to get it towed literally 1/4 mile, he said "screw it" and sold it as scrap. I even had worked out a deal with a mechanic to pay for repair and he said he did the best he could but had he known the shape it was he would have advised against doing the repair. BUT they needed a vehicle so what do you do.

I will never again buy a used vehicle without a Carfax. And I will never again buy a used vehicle that has a questionable Carfax report.

Listen to the Carfax report and not to the owner who might be trying to unload a worthless vehicle.

Just because a vehicle has a salvaged titled doesn't mean it has any kind of inherent problems.

The main reason that cars have salvage titles is when an cost of a repair exceeds (usually 80%) a certain value of the car.

I have a small car that I was involved in an accident where a lady dented my fender.

The insurance company totaled the car.

The value of the car was about $900 but to replace the fender, paint it, blend it, stripe it, and get the emblems was going to be

about $1200... so they totaled the car. They payed me what the car was worth and I bought the car back from them for scrap value of the car ($125).

I fixed replaced the fender from another car that I had been parting out and got the inspection done and got a salvaged title on it.

I took the salvaged title on it to the tag office with my bill of sale from the insurance company and they reissued me a new title.

It was a PIA to get the inspection done because they only do inspections once a month and only do 150 vehicles that day, per station and there are FEW stations around the state.

But as far as anything being wrong with the car, not a thing.. It's in perfect mechanic condition.

With that said, being the vehicle you are talking about is a 2000.

Depending on what model of truck it is and blue book value, it could have been salvaged for the same reasons I posted above.

Simple repair value meets or exceeds 80% of the value of the vehicle.

I would tend to lean with the majority here, however... UNLESS you know a very good mechanic that you could trust to take with you.

A good mechanic can tell if it's going to be a nightmare vehicle or not.

If you don't have a mechanic to go with you, then I would definitely pass on it.

I'll agree with Nitro on this one.

Fairly common to have a car "totaled" out by the insurance based on "their" prices to fix it, yet they'll turn around and sell it back to the owner for a discounted price.

If the car was closer it wouldn't be much of a problem to have a private mechanic of your choosing check it out and tell you if it's worth getting.

IMO I'd stay away because of the distances involved.

And yes, unfortunately, when buying/selling privately it can be a crap shoot since all sales are considered AS IS, and it's up to the buyer to exercise due diligence in those situations.

You also will have a problem when you decide to sell it with a totaled title...if you are going to borrow money that is another problem with a salvage title...the value is Considerably less on a vehicle with a salvage/totaled title ...and it is impossible to get a clean title EVER on this car...

Happy Thanksgiving,

I have a question that I hope someone can help me answer. I am looking for a pickup truck. My preference is a mid 2000s Toyota Tacoma with a V6, automatic. Doesnt really matter if it has 4WD or not. Anyway, I found one on AutoTrader in Spartanburg, SC. The distance isnt a problem and I would rive up there and get it. The truck is perfect in that it has everything that I want. What is concerning to me is that the guy said it had been in a minor wreck. He said the front bumper, drvers headlight, drvers fender and hood were replaced.He said it still had the original radiator in it and the radiator supports did not beed to be replaced. I can live with that if the repairs were done right.

However, the report also says No airbag deployment and no structural damage.

What would you suggest I do. If the damage was minor and fixed properly I would like to have it but I also dont want to buy someone elses problems. The car is three hours away. Any suggestions?

Skipping right to the end with my 2 cents. In the end a car is only a machine. As it ages its value decreases. In that moderate damage as what you describe can cost a great deal to repair and exceed the value given by the insurance company. Those valurs are averages for all similar vehicles. My truck might bring $7000 at sell. I have had it since day 1. A total loss would be at around $4200 the last time I replaced the BUMPER AND SUPPORTS ONLY was in excess of $2500. Thow in a hood and fender and I might be over that amount. Absolutely nothing mechanical would be wrong. Only that repairs cost more than the 60% of value needed to total it. I would likely take the settlement issued by my insurance company. Get my salvage title and make the repairs as they are all cosmetic. Then I would continue driving it. I am unsure about insuring a vehicle with a salvage title. But I know my value just nosedived but the real value to me is still there in that nothing has changed mechanically with the vehicle. In the end whatvyou nees to do is assess your willingness to believe the seller, have it checked by a reputable mechanic, check into what your insurance will and will not do in regards to a salvage title.

Good luck

I worked as a tag & title agent for years. If a " salvaged title " was issued, the car had to be inspected by state patrol. A salvaged title means the car was totaled by insurance, for what ever reason, but has been repaired properly. Some states require the salvage title to follow the car, some will issue new title because of state inspection. Depends on state. Still not sure I would puchase vehicle if I had this information.

If a " salvaged title " was issued, the car had to be inspected by state patrol.

In Georgia, GSP does not do this.

You have to go to a privately owned state licensed salvage-rebuild inspection station.

They collect the state fees associated with the inspection, as well as their own inspection fee.

In Georgia, GSP does not do this.

You have to go to a privately owned state licensed salvage-rebuild inspection station.

They collect the state fees associated with the inspection, as well as their own inspection fee.

I have 2 questions for you guys.

How do salvage titles get transfered or are they. How does that affect taxes?

Do you guys have any idea about how it affects insurance if it is even available.

This whole topic got me thinkin, which is a very bad thing, I need to call my agent and ask him of I can buy up my auto coverage. As I stated earlier. My truck is worth about $7000 on the market. It is worth much more to me as I had it since day one and have taken great care of it. I would like to insure it for more against a total loss than they would likely give me. I wonder if I can add a rider for extra.

I do not think you can add $$$$ to your insurance for what the value you think it is worth....Never heard of it ...Does not matter WHO inspects the vehicle IT IS ALWAYS A SALVAGE TITLE...the laws changed and you can not CLEAN UP a title now...and if you try to go to another state and get a non salvage title it will still show up in the Ga database as Salvage

How do salvage titles get transfered or are they. How does that affect taxes?

They are transferred just like any other title.

The title is the same piece of paper, it just says "salvaged" on it.

BTW, once I got the salvaged title on it from the insurance company and had

the car inspected, the inspection station sent their report and my salvaged title off to the state.

The title I received a couple of weeks later is a standard title and says "Salvage" no where on it.

Do you guys have any idea about how it affects insurance if it is even available.

I didn't notice any difference in my insurance at all.

However, my car is a '91 and isn't worth much on blue book value.

This whole topic got me thinkin, which is a very bad thing, I need to call my agent and ask him of I can buy up my auto coverage. As I stated earlier. My truck is worth about $7000 on the market. It is worth much more to me as I had it since day one and have taken great care of it. I would like to insure it for more against a total loss than they would likely give me. I wonder if I can add a rider for extra.

I don't think they would let you do that, but if they did, I'm sure the premium would be ridiculous.

The only thing I've ever heard of is being able to pay for full replacement cost (which obviously doesn't cover sentimental value).

Edited by NITR0