Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
logansmom

Canned pumpkin

I just went to the "I" store to buy Libby canned pumpkin and it was priced $1.98 a can!! YIKES!! The "I" brand was .89 a can and at the "K" store their brand was 1.00 a can. Has anyone ever used the private label pumpkin and what is you take on it?

I've used the Kroger,Ingles,and Walmart brand canned pumpkin and never had an issue with them.They're just as good as the brand name pumpkin.

You could always go with real pumpkins and make your own filling. I understand that the results are pretty good but it takes a little more work to dice the pumpkin, peel it and boil it to softness.

You could always go with real pumpkins and make your own filling. I understand that the results are pretty good but it takes a little more work to dice the pumpkin, peel it and boil it to softness.

This is what I do. I usually cut up small pie pumpkins into quarters, roast it in the oven until soft, and then take a spoon and just scoop it of the skin. Then I purée it in a food processor to get it smooth. When your making pumpkin pies from a pumpkin and not cans you usually have to add more sugar. I've also heard that using half puréed pumpkin and half puréed butternut squash makes a good pumpkin pie, but I haven't tried it yet.

Anyway, as far as canned pumpkin, I've always used Libby and I like it. I haven't used and of the store brands before so I couldn't vouch for those.

I love pumpkin pie!