Paulding.com

A Living Wage

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/18/walmart-food-drive_n_4296618.html

Why is it that a company like this cannot pay its employee's enough to afford a Thanksgiving meal? I know they are not the only ones. It saddens my heart to know that greed comes before a person being able to eat. I also know some of you will bash me for this, but its how I feel.

• Like 1
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is my contention that all of the government intervention - mandatory unemployment insurance, food stamps, welfare, medicaid, etc. - is a huge source of our problems.   1. No one deserves a job o

You should be grateful for the folks a Walmart, who else would give you a such a chance to strut your sense of superiority and success . But careful that your nose doesn't get so far into the clouds y

As a general rule; people who work in these low paying jobs do so because they either have no skills or else they are only interested in part-time or temporary work. This might sound harsh, but they g

The study, “Hidden Cost of Wal-Mart Jobs,” found that the average Wal-Mart worker required $730 in taxpayer-funded healthcare and $1,222 in other forms of assistance, such as food stamps and subsidized housing, to get by.

http://www.ilsr.org/new-study-finds-walmarts-miserly-wages-cost-taxpayers/

It apparently adds up to about $900,000 for each Walmart store that is open.

• Like 1

The study, "Hidden Cost of Wal-Mart Jobs," found that the average Wal-Mart worker required $730 in taxpayer-funded healthcare and $1,222 in other forms of assistance, such as food stamps and subsidized housing, to get by.

http://www.ilsr.org/...cost-taxpayers/

It apparently adds up to about $900,000 for each Walmart store that is open.

That was paper written by Arinjdrat Dube while he was a student at Berkeley, under his professor at the time. Half of the sources are articles, and it doesn't reference or use any that would contain actual pay, benefits, or anything else to indicate how much someone actually earned at the time it was written. In short, you're referencing a homework assignment.

• Like 2

I'm quoting the website. I guess they quoted a homework assignment.

By the way, here's a statement he made to Congress back in March. Impressive. Assistant Professor of Economics. I'll hold his opinion in higher esteem than I will almost anyone else who can't tell me what minimum wage is.

http://www.help.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Dube.pdf

That was paper written by Arinjdrat Dube while he was a student at Berkeley, under his professor at the time. Half of the sources are articles, and it doesn't reference or use any that would contain actual pay, benefits, or anything else to indicate how much someone actually earned at the time it was written. In short, you're referencing a homework assignment.

As a general rule; people who work in these low paying jobs do so because they either have no skills or else they are only interested in part-time or temporary work. This might sound harsh, but they get paid what they are worth in the labor market.

Anyone who wants to make a higher income needs to make them self more valuable. Get an education, learn some specialized skills or a trade and you can typically command higher pay. You're worth more in the job market, so you will get paid more.

• Like 6

If you're going to make a real, honest-to-gosh effort to start a business, you need a little bit of money. Business licenses, business cards, transportation. So, yes, I agree you can start a business but you have to be able to finance it, too. And some businesses take a lot more money to finance (you know that yourself).

And to be fair, some people who work in those jobs DO have skills just skills in fields where there are no jobs. My son in law is a great example. He has over a decade of experience in paving and smaller heavy equipment operation. Do you know how many paving jobs there are out there now? Virtually none unless it's with a large company like CW Matthews where it takes forever and a day to get hired.

I haven't said this much in the 13, almost 14 years that my daughter has been married, but my husband and I are very proud of our son in law right now. He's not making big bucks at work but he has stuck with the job and has gotten two promotions. He's now assistant store manager. With that experience, he can move to other retailers and make good money. He has found he enjoys retail and seems to have a knack for it. He's always been a hard worker but never had a chance for advancement. Now he does and he sees that he can advance. Everyone has a niche. Hopefully, this is his. It wouldn't surprise me at all if at some point in the next 3-5 years both my daughter and son in law are store managers.

As a general rule; people who work in these low paying jobs do so because they either have no skills or else they are only interested in part-time or temporary work. This might sound harsh, but they get paid what they are worth in the labor market.

Anyone who wants to make a higher income needs to make them self more valuable. Get an education, learn some specialized skills or a trade and you can typically command higher pay. You're worth more in the job market, so you will get paid more.

• Like 4

Regardless of what you think about these people in the end you are going to pay for those cheap Chinese blue jeans. You will just make up the difference on April 15th when you pay for the Food Stamps these people will have to get to feed their families. So in a very real sense you are subsidizing Walmart and it's muti billion dollar owners.

• Like 6

If you're going to make a real, honest-to-gosh effort to start a business, you need a little bit of money. Business licenses, business cards, transportation. So, yes, I agree you can start a business but you have to be able to finance it, too. And some businesses take a lot more money to finance (you know that yourself).

And to be fair, some people who work in those jobs DO have skills just skills in fields where there are no jobs. My son in law is a great example. He has over a decade of experience in paving and smaller heavy equipment operation. Do you know how many paving jobs there are out there now? Virtually none unless it's with a large company like CW Matthews where it takes forever and a day to get hired.

I haven't said this much in the 13, almost 14 years that my daughter has been married, but my husband and I are very proud of our son in law right now. He's not making big bucks at work but he has stuck with the job and has gotten two promotions. He's now assistant store manager. With that experience, he can move to other retailers and make good money. He has found he enjoys retail and seems to have a knack for it. He's always been a hard worker but never had a chance for advancement. Now he does and he sees that he can advance. Everyone has a niche. Hopefully, this is his. It wouldn't surprise me at all if at some point in the next 3-5 years both my daughter and son in law are store managers.

That's why I said "as a general rule". There are exceptions. But the majority of people working those jobs have no training to do any type of skilled work.

Much of my clientele is restaurant and fast food. It's sad how many of the employees in those industries are barely literate. Why is that in a day and time of "free" public education?

Regardless of what you think about these people in the end you are going to pay for those cheap Chinese blue jeans. You will just make up the difference on April 15th when you pay for the Food Stamps these people will have to get to feed their families. So in a very real sense you are subsidizing Walmart and it's muti billion dollar owners.

That isn't why these people work at WalMart for low wages. They work there because it's all they can get because of their lack of skills and/or training.

• Like 1

My daughter said the store where they work hired someone who couldn't make change. The person was basically a warm body and that qualified them to work there. They lasted a couple of days but that was it.

That's why I said "as a general rule". There are exceptions. But the majority of people working those jobs have no training to do any type of skilled work.

Much of my clientele is restaurant and fast food. It's sad how many of the employees in those industries are barely literate. Why is that in a day and time of "free" public education?

My daughter said the store where they work hired someone who couldn't make change. The person was basically a warm body and that qualified them to work there. They lasted a couple of days but that was it.

WalMart catches a lot or crap from the left; but the fact is, they hire people whom no one else will employ. Many of these people wouldn't have jobs at all if not for WalMart.

Maybe the former assistant manager at the store where my daughter and son in law work can go to Walmart next. Well, once she gets out of jail.

WalMart catches a lot or crap from the left; but the fact is, they hire people whom no one else will employ. Many of these people wouldn't have jobs at all if not for WalMart.

“That store has set up a bin for associates to help out other associates,” he told Yahoo Finance. “These are people that have had some unforeseen hardship in the last year. Maybe their spouse lost a job, or they experienced the death of a loved one, or a natural disaster impacted their home; things you just can’t plan for. It’s a chance for associates to look out for and help each other.”

The bins are kept in the employee break room, Lundberg says, adding that he is not aware of similar collections at other locations as these drives are done on a store-by-store basis. But the company does have a program in place to help associates dealing with particular hardships, he says. The Associates in Critical Need Trust allows Walmart employees to support those in need via payroll deduction, with hardship grants of up to $1,500 available to associates that need a little extra help. The program has distributed $80 million worth of these grants since 2001, according to the company.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/walmart-employees-organize-food-drive-----for-other-walmart-employees-191602622.html

Just sayin :pardon:

Not going to trust my math this late at night but that comes to something like help for 500,000 employees. Is that correct??? Someone check my math.

"That store has set up a bin for associates to help out other associates," he told Yahoo Finance. "These are people that have had some unforeseen hardship in the last year. Maybe their spouse lost a job, or they experienced the death of a loved one, or a natural disaster impacted their home; things you just can't plan for. It's a chance for associates to look out for and help each other."

The bins are kept in the employee break room, Lundberg says, adding that he is not aware of similar collections at other locations as these drives are done on a store-by-store basis. But the company does have a program in place to help associates dealing with particular hardships, he says. The Associates in Critical Need Trust allows Walmart employees to support those in need via payroll deduction, with hardship grants of up to $1,500 available to associates that need a little extra help. The program has distributed $80 million worth of these grants since 2001, according to the company.

http://finance.yahoo...-191602622.html

Just sayin :pardon:

Not going to trust my math this late at night but that comes to something like help for 500,000 employees. Is that correct??? Someone check my math.

Not even going to try the math. But it says since 2001. There have been numerous hurricanes, tornadoes and floods between 01, and now. I imagine that the numbers include any help given because of these disasters.

There will always be jobs at the bottom of the job market, they will pay less because the employee needs no specials skills or education to perform them. If an adult is trying to live solely on a job that can be and is easily performed by a HS student then it is obvious where the failure is.

Edited by Ugadawgs98
  • Like 6

Okay, fine!!! Get me started will ya?? For one thing...there's a GOOD chance Walmart WILL hire you when no one else will. That's reason enough to work for those a-holes who pioneered and honed the slave market abroad the USA. If you are starving (like me) you will take ANYTHING that offers a job, be it a crappy job.

Walmart has been brought up in congress more than a few times, along with many other large corps who no longer have to worry about paying taxes thanks to godforsaken loopholes in the system.

The ONLY way out I have found is to start your own business!!! You WILL almost certainly lose everything you have at first. And if you can't pander to the public in a fashion that keeps you busy but makes very little money (remember, you are competing against 3rd world countries since our great nation allows all the big guys to move their sheeze over there, hide the profits in off-shore accounts, etc.) you'll fall dead on your ass.

Think outside the box, Americans!!! If you are good at computers and hacking into systems, then by all means, hack into the CIA, NSA, or other....they will give you a choice to either go to jail forever, or make a deal with them so you can get paid over 100K a year hacking other companies that they are paranoid about.

I have had the less than happy opportunity to talk with a group of young people who are in jail now. They were incarcerated for minor drug offenses, and some major drug selling offenses. When they sit there and tell me how much money they made, and can continue once released, I thought I would throw up!! Most already have a high dollar attorney taking care of getting them out early. Folks....they know this system!! And after hearing all of this, I'll be a damned man if I judge them in a negative light! They pay NO TAXES, and they make over 100K a year, working less than 3 days a week, at 4 hours a day per week.

I know people who are penalized because they make a measly $200/wk take home. WTF will that buy anyone?? NOTHING!! Our system is so trucked up that I don't even know where to begin my bitching! Our government provides FREE everything for only those who have NOTHING....nothing!! If you show an attempt to make a scroungy amount of money, you'll be coupled in with people who are doing well, then denied any help. If you play dead and lazy, showing no money at all, then they'll roll out a red carpet for you. How trucked up is this, folks??? There is NO incentive to do better. The whole thing just makes me so sick that sometimes I wish the Chinese would drop a bomb on our sorry, lazy asses.....but it's not US who are lazy...it's a government that rewards the lazy and punishes the driven and ambitious people in this nation. It is no longer about progress. I have always held a certain amount of contempt for a total capitalist society, if that society would not provide for the common welfare of those less fortunate. However, with the latest status of how things are, sloth is given free reign, just as wealth is given free borders with no tax burdens. This all = the death of our nation.

I can still remember when high paid movie directors, and other wealthy folks paid about 50% of their income in taxes.....(AND WERE COMPLETELY OKAY WITH IT!!!)...You ask a billionaire to pay 5% now and all they do is bitch, then move their sheeze out of the nation.

GREED has all but destroyed us. Even OBAMA (yes, the man of compassion and integrity) is implementing and insuring the ongoing wars abroad just as Bush Jr. did. What little this country makes in profit is only by incarcerating our youth for drug offenses and funding rampant war abroad. We have a DEM in office now, and he's just as driven to keep War, Inc. as alive as any Republican ever thought of doing. Where is Dwight when we need him the most? Our country's policies suck ass, while they further widen the gap between rich and poor, lobbies pay off and OWN congress, and even our "dubiously democratic" president still hides the War Machine economics so he can show......what? The press doesn't parade his quick signing of "kill who you need to" crap in other countries as long as it pays money.

Folks....on short, our country is in shambles. It's just a matter of time before China calls us on our bill. And please don't be so swift to counter with things like, "we'll just whip their ass"....I mean come on!! They whipped us a decade ago. The now own us.

I'm open to suggestions, not just here to bitch. I bet no one has a good solution though. If your solution is TOO GOOD, then keep your mouth shut!! Otherwise you'll be sharing it with the deceased.

Thanks for letting me vent, and IF anyone can prove me wrong, then by all means, please do so!! I'm all ears!! (but I have a bullcheeze detector on me like you wouldn't believe!!) So, please make a GOOD point!!

• Like 3

Okay, fine!!! Get me started will ya?? For one thing...there's a GOOD chance Walmart WILL hire you when no one else will. That's reason enough to work for those a-holes who pioneered and honed the slave market abroad the USA. If you are starving (like me) you will take ANYTHING that offers a job, be it a crappy job.

Walmart has been brought up in congress more than a few times, along with many other large corps who no longer have to worry about paying taxes thanks to godforsaken loopholes in the system.

The ONLY way out I have found is to start your own business!!! You WILL almost certainly lose everything you have at first. And if you can't pander to the public in a fashion that keeps you busy but makes very little money (remember, you are competing against 3rd world countries since our great nation allows all the big guys to move their sheeze over there, hide the profits in off-shore accounts, etc.) you'll fall dead on your ass.

Think outside the box, Americans!!! If you are good at computers and hacking into systems, then by all means, hack into the CIA, NSA, or other....they will give you a choice to either go to jail forever, or make a deal with them so you can get paid over 100K a year hacking other companies that they are paranoid about.

I have had the less than happy opportunity to talk with a group of young people who are in jail now. They were incarcerated for minor drug offenses, and some major drug selling offenses. When they sit there and tell me how much money they made, and can continue once released, I thought I would throw up!! Most already have a high dollar attorney taking care of getting them out early. Folks....they know this system!! And after hearing all of this, I'll be a damned man if I judge them in a negative light! They pay NO TAXES, and they make over 100K a year, working less than 3 days a week, at 4 hours a day per week.

I know people who are penalized because they make a measly $200/wk take home. WTF will that buy anyone?? NOTHING!! Our system is so trucked up that I don't even know where to begin my bitching! Our government provides FREE everything for only those who have NOTHING....nothing!! If you show an attempt to make a scroungy amount of money, you'll be coupled in with people who are doing well, then denied any help. If you play dead and lazy, showing no money at all, then they'll roll out a red carpet for you. How trucked up is this, folks??? There is NO incentive to do better. The whole thing just makes me so sick that sometimes I wish the Chinese would drop a bomb on our sorry, lazy asses.....but it's not US who are lazy...it's a government that rewards the lazy and punishes the driven and ambitious people in this nation. It is no longer about progress. I have always held a certain amount of contempt for a total capitalist society, if that society would not provide for the common welfare of those less fortunate. However, with the latest status of how things are, sloth is given free reign, just as wealth is given free borders with no tax burdens. This all = the death of our nation.

I can still remember when high paid movie directors, and other wealthy folks paid about 50% of their income in taxes.....(AND WERE COMPLETELY OKAY WITH IT!!!)...You ask a billionaire to pay 5% now and all they do is bitch, then move their sheeze out of the nation.

GREED has all but destroyed us. Even OBAMA (yes, the man of compassion and integrity) is implementing and insuring the ongoing wars abroad just as Bush Jr. did. What little this country makes in profit is only by incarcerating our youth for drug offenses and funding rampant war abroad. We have a DEM in office now, and he's just as driven to keep War, Inc. as alive as any Republican ever thought of doing. Where is Dwight when we need him the most? Our country's policies suck ass, while they further widen the gap between rich and poor, lobbies pay off and OWN congress, and even our "dubiously democratic" president still hides the War Machine economics so he can show......what? The press doesn't parade his quick signing of "kill who you need to" crap in other countries as long as it pays money.

Folks....on short, our country is in shambles. It's just a matter of time before China calls us on our bill. And please don't be so swift to counter with things like, "we'll just whip their ass"....I mean come on!! They whipped us a decade ago. The now own us.

I'm open to suggestions, not just here to bitch. I bet no one has a good solution though. If your solution is TOO GOOD, then keep your mouth shut!! Otherwise you'll be sharing it with the deceased.

Thanks for letting me vent, and IF anyone can prove me wrong, then by all means, please do so!! I'm all ears!! (but I have a bullcheeze detector on me like you wouldn't believe!!) So, please make a GOOD point!!

In many ways, Obama is republican lite and hs treated the poor and middle class the same as other administrations.

• Like 1

http://www.huffingto..._n_4296618.html

Why is it that a company like this cannot pay its employee's enough to afford a Thanksgiving meal? I know they are not the only ones. It saddens my heart to know that greed comes before a person being able to eat. I also know some of you will bash me for this, but its how I feel.

Why is it people moan about Walmart? If someone thinks they deserve a job that pays more, they should darn well go find it. The last darn thing we need is more effing government interference and regulation.

• Like 3

I work as a project manager for a very large company. I'm hiring and firing people weekly. I'm firing people because they show up and won't work or they put very little effort into it and don't meet established standards. These are mostly entry level jobs. I'm authorized to give workers who meet or exceed standards pay raises, but so far I have fired more people than I have given raises.

• Like 2

I work as a project manager for a very large company. I'm hiring and firing people weekly. I'm firing people because they show up and won't work or they put very little effort into it and don't meet established standards. These are mostly entry level jobs. I'm authorized to give workers who meet or exceed standards pay raises, but so far I have fired more people than I have given raises.

Well then you aren't hiring the right ones. I show up and work very hard, put in 210%, and exceed established standards.

And yet there are people out there that can't even get hired at Walmart. My husband has been out of work for two months. Hasn't gotten one interview, and has applied to every retail establishment in the area. I'd jump for joy if he could get hired at our walmart.

Well then you aren't hiring the right ones. I show up and work very hard, put in 210%, and exceed established standards.

....and what does that have to do with the average adult working an unskilled job long term? If they haven't excelled out of that class of job then it is usually for a reason. Those who stand apart find they will be given more responsibility and will no longer be at the bottom.

I hate the "warm body" human resources management style. I've experienced it on both sides of the counter, as a customer and as a manager. The one that needs to be fired is the human resources officer that keeps hiring unqualified people.

• Like 3

A lot of employers feel everyone is so desperate to have a job that they can pay crappy wages.

I'm going today to talk to a prospective employer about pay. The preliminary discussion was this: "with base salary and bonuses, you will make what you quoted as pay". Well, wait a minute. What I quoted as what I wanted for pay was BASE pay, not to include bonuses or commissions and it's almost 50% less than I was making in Georgia AND it's a $1 an hour less than I can go two miles from the house and make for the same job. But these people seem to think I'm desperate for a job (which I'm not).

I really don't think these people expect me to turn down their "gracious" pay offer. If they aren't going to come up with more money, they won't be hiring me.

• Like 1

+100

The liberals are so busy trying to "Take care" of the poor that they condemn them to that state by not leaving any incentive to do better. I'm glad I'm not the only one to see this.

We have to get to a system without cutoff of services that build walls to advancement.

Things like taxing govt benefits so that wages and benefits are on an even footing. Then as your income rises, you lose a percentage of the benefit, but not enough to make the change negative, i.e. the person still has more spending money than they did before. Then, when they finally get off the support, they get to keep *all* their raises, (after taxes of course).

As long as people are penalized for working more, getting raises, etc, we are going to be in deep trouble.

• Like 2

A lot of employers feel everyone is so desperate to have a job that they can pay crappy wages.

I'm going today to talk to a prospective employer about pay. The preliminary discussion was this: "with base salary and bonuses, you will make what you quoted as pay". Well, wait a minute. What I quoted as what I wanted for pay was BASE pay, not to include bonuses or commissions and it's almost 50% less than I was making in Georgia AND it's a $1 an hour less than I can go two miles from the house and make for the same job. But these people seem to think I'm desperate for a job (which I'm not).

I really don't think these people expect me to turn down their "gracious" pay offer. If they aren't going to come up with more money, they won't be hiring me.

Good! That is your choice and if everyone turns it down, then indeed they will have to raise the offer.

But as to your first statement, go back and look at the Great Depression. We have an entire generation that has expected to have jobs begging for them when they go out to look. Ain't happening ever again unless we get rules changes and get the manufacturing jobs back here. A "global economy" just means everyone is dragged down to the lowest common denominator.

This is one point I break from the Republican party. Screw "Free Trade" We are big enough to build anything we want and we have the extra food the world wants (if we don't keep turning it into car fuel). Add a tariff on imports from countries like China that use their citizens like slave labor. Why should they get the profit to use for their war machine? Keep it here and use the tariff funds to encourage manufacturing HERE where we would have the good jobs and Walmart would be fighting for people again.

Wages will NOT rise as long as their is high unemployment.

You're right. Wages won't rise as long as we have high unemployment because employers think, sometimes mistakenly, that everyone is desperate for a job and will take what is offered.

Interesting that we're having this conversation because I've been involved in a conversation with my son in law and a friend of mine about this very same subject.

Good! That is your choice and if everyone turns it down, then indeed they will have to raise the offer.

But as to your first statement, go back and look at the Great Depression. We have an entire generation that has expected to have jobs begging for them when they go out to look. Ain't happening ever again unless we get rules changes and get the manufacturing jobs back here. A "global economy" just means everyone is dragged down to the lowest common denominator.

This is one point I break from the Republican party. Screw "Free Trade" We are big enough to build anything we want and we have the extra food the world wants (if we don't keep turning it into car fuel). Add a tariff on imports from countries like China that use their citizens like slave labor. Why should they get the profit to use for their war machine? Keep it here and use the tariff funds to encourage manufacturing HERE where we would have the good jobs and Walmart would be fighting for people again.

Wages will NOT rise as long as their is high unemployment.

I'm quoting the website. I guess they quoted a homework assignment.

By the way, here's a statement he made to Congress back in March. Impressive. Assistant Professor of Economics. I'll hold his opinion in higher esteem than I will almost anyone else who can't tell me what minimum wage is.

http://www.help.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Dube.pdf

The work of Dube and his co-authors received a devastating reply from a team of economists at the University of California-Irvine

and the Federal Reserve Board. Having analyzed and rechecked all the analysis in the original Berkeley studies, these economists

determined that “neither the conclusions … nor the methods they use are supported by the data.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/statistical-problem-of-minimum-wage-and-poverty-88824.html

8)

Why is this so hard for people to understand?

My husband works here and it has been the best career decision ever! It has been a very reliable company and we've never had to worry he wouldn't have a job. Dh doesn't work in the paving dept, but he said there are openings so tell your sil to apply!

He has found he absolutely loves retail. He had applied at CW Matthews about 18 months and never got a call back. That's when he got the job he has now--well, before the promotion anyway. He doesn't have to worry about the weather knocking him out of work or a fluctuating paycheck. It always seemed to be feast or famine. He'd work 60 or 70 hours a week or the minimum (either 3 or 4 hours) per day. It was never 40 steady hours a week.

He would have LOVED to have worked at Matthews. I'll tell him about it but I seriously doubt he would apply now simply because he was found what he likes and has a chance to move up in the company. Apparently they will help pay for additional education, too. They certainly aren't as large as Walmart, by any stretch of the imagination but he has caught the eye of the CEO, and in a good way. It's funny how this job chose him instead of him choosing the job,

My husband works here and it has been the best career decision ever! It has been a very reliable company and we've never had to worry he wouldn't have a job. Dh doesn't work in the paving dept, but he said there are openings so tell your sil to apply!

Americans need to decide if we want small government where people get paid and don't need assistance to get by or if we want a bigger gov't that has to administer all the subsidies full time workers need to make a living. There are many two income families that have trouble making a minimal living because the minimum wage is too low.

On a related subject, the Earned Income Tax Credit is in effect corporate welfare enabling mostly Red State employers to be subsidized by Blue State employers and citizens. I'm speaking in tendencies of course but incomes in inflation adjusted dollars has dropped steadily since 1971 or thereabouts.

Warren Buffett, who no doubt some yahoo will say doesn't know anything, said there definitely is class warfare in the US. It is being waged on the poor and the middle class by the very wealthy. And the very wealthy are not just winning. They have also succeeded in getting middle class and even poor voters to support their own destruction.

Edited by Well Read
  • Like 1

He has found he absolutely loves retail. He had applied at CW Matthews about 18 months and never got a call back. That's when he got the job he has now--well, before the promotion anyway. He doesn't have to worry about the weather knocking him out of work or a fluctuating paycheck. It always seemed to be feast or famine. He'd work 60 or 70 hours a week or the minimum (either 3 or 4 hours) per day. It was never 40 steady hours a week.

He would have LOVED to have worked at Matthews. I'll tell him about it but I seriously doubt he would apply now simply because he was found what he likes and has a chance to move up in the company. Apparently they will help pay for additional education, too. They certainly aren't as large as Walmart, by any stretch of the imagination but he has caught the eye of the CEO, and in a good way. It's funny how this job chose him instead of him choosing the job,

My husband has steady hours & works 60-70 every week no matter the weather. He is in the survey dept, so I'm sure that makes a big difference. They have consistently given him raises. It's defiantly different than any other construction company he has worked for! Like every job, it's who you know.

There. Fixed it for you.

doggone it I just gave you a "positive" and you do this to me....)

The EITC benefits corporations and small companies enormously and more predominantly in "conservative" states.

Edited by Well Read

....and what does that have to do with the average adult working an unskilled job long term? If they haven't excelled out of that class of job then it is usually for a reason. Those who stand apart find they will be given more responsibility and will no longer be at the bottom.

The problem is the ones that are skilled can't even get a job that is unskilled, stand out and get promoted. Hi, I am one of those people.