Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Mrs G

Do you know of someone who did NOT,

I am hearing that people are having a hard time getting their food stamps. They have turned in ALL of their documents that were requested of them, had their papers stamped that the info WAS TURNED IN and was told that they did NOT turn it in AND they still did NOT get their food stamps. I called the Governors Office and basically got the run around, someone passing the buck, call this person or that person and so on. I'm just curious to know how widespread this problem is.

I am hearing that people are having a hard time getting their food stamps. They have turned in ALL of their documents that were requested of them, had their papers stamped that the info WAS TURNED IN and was told that they did NOT turn it in AND they still did NOT get their food stamps. I called the Governors Office and basically got the run around, someone passing the buck, call this person or that person and so on. I'm just curious to know how widespread this problem is.

I commend you for opening this thread considering all the outrage on here about 'entitlement attitudes', 'deadbeats on the govt take', etc. I know and realize that people do need help and I know that you do so much toward that end. And not that you need it, but I've got your back when the mud slinging starts. :)

• Like 1

Cobb County has a caseworker who seems to have problems keeping up with things. And she's a liar, to boot. If my daughter says she sent the stuff in, I have no reason to believe she didn't. I know for a fact that I faxed things THREE times one month because the *&*&$(_! caseworker kept telling her that she never received it. It was mailed return receipt requested because she has had problems with the county saying they didn't have the information that she sent. The third time I faxed it, I also sent the fax report showing when it was sent and an "OK" report. Amazingly, THAT time she got it. dry.gif

All of that said, it might be a problem at the county level and not due to anything having to do with the state or the federal non-shut down. Not sure if all reviews are done at the same time but it does seem like every October we go through this.

1381366128[/url]' post='3847560']

I commend you for opening this thread considering all the outrage on here about 'entitlement attitudes', 'deadbeats on the govt take', etc. I know and realize that people do need help and I know that you do so much toward that end. And not that you need it, but I've got your back when the mud slinging starts. :)

Hand outs vs. hand ups.

I'm not opposed to TEMPORARY assistance, but not assistance as a lifestyle choice.

• Like 9

Hand outs vs. hand ups.

I'm not opposed to TEMPORARY assistance, but not assistance as a lifestyle choice.

This ^^ not that hard to understand really.

Cobb County has a caseworker who seems to have problems keeping up with things. And she's a liar, to boot. If my daughter says she sent the stuff in, I have no reason to believe she didn't. I know for a fact that I faxed things THREE times one month because the *&*&$(_! caseworker kept telling her that she never received it. It was mailed return receipt requested because she has had problems with the county saying they didn't have the information that she sent. The third time I faxed it, I also sent the fax report showing when it was sent and an "OK" report. Amazingly, THAT time she got it. dry.gif

All of that said, it might be a problem at the county level and not due to anything having to do with the state or the federal non-shut down. Not sure if all reviews are done at the same time but it does seem like every October we go through this.

No kidding!! When it come to eating and not eating, most people send in whatever is needed, on time, to get what they need. Why would anyone lie about that? Sounds like a cover your a$$ answer from the caseworker to me.

Hand outs vs. hand ups.

I absolutely agree, but there are those who are opposed to ANY kind of assistance, regardless of the circumstances.

Edited by momof 3

No kidding!! When it come to eating and not eating, most people send in whatever is needed, on time, to get what they need. Why would anyone lie about that? Sounds like a cover your a$$ answer from the caseworker to me.

I absolutely agree, but there are those who are opposed to ANY kind of assistance, regardless of the circumstances.

I am all for assistance, within reason. (who's reason, mine) :)

Like I and others said in another thread, I wish we would give more help to those who are working and trying to do better and less help for those who haven't had any job in years.

I truly believe that if we were able to leave all the assistance money in the pockets of those who earned it, more actual assistance would get to the people who need it, through community programs, family helping family, friends helping friends, etc.

But we are too far down the road for this to ever happen.

I would love to see something like the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) come back.

If you don't know what that is, it was a program during the depression which helped people who didn't have jobs, while at the same time those people helped build things.

Most of the lakes at the GA State Parks were built by the CCC.

I am baffled as to why we couldn't do something like this again.

I am all for assistance, within reason. (who's reason, mine) :)

Like I and others said in another thread, I wish we would give more help to those who are working and trying to do better and less help for those who haven't had any job in years.

I truly believe that if we were able to leave all the assistance money in the pockets of those who earned it, more actual assistance would get to the people who need it, through community programs, family helping family, friends helping friends, etc.

But we are too far down the road for this to ever happen.

I would love to see something like the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) come back.

If you don't know what that is, it was a program during the depression which helped people who didn't have jobs, while at the same time those people helped build things.

Most of the lakes at the GA State Parks were built by the CCC.I am baffled

as to why we couldn't do something like this again.

I agree, it's horrible when you are trying and you're turned down because you make $11.00 to much for any help and the broad down the road keeps having kid after kid just to get a bigger check every month.

And as far as family helping family, we're in that boat now. My daughters husband lost his job, we tried to keep them in their house, but after several months, they had to move in with us because we couldn't keep 2 households going. He was out of work for 7 months, he worked several days on jobs the labor board sent him on, but there was no steady income. And after that long, it takes a while to get re-established. They have saved money and are now looking for a house.

I know that there are plenty of deadbeats who ABUSE the system, but just as many who need it, don't abuse it. And it makes me sick to hear people lump anyone who gets assistance of any kind into the same boat and then to feel free to call them names. It's people like that, that karma tends to bite on the behind and rightly so.

• Like 1

I agree, it's horrible when you are trying and you're turned down because you make $11.00 to much for any help and the broad down the road keeps having kid after kid just to get a bigger check every month.

And as far as family helping family, we're in that boat now. My daughters husband lost his job, we tried to keep them in their house, but after several months, they had to move in with us because we couldn't keep 2 households going. He was out of work for 7 months, he worked several days on jobs the labor board sent him on, but there was no steady income. And after that long, it takes a while to get re-established. They have saved money and are now looking for a house.

I know that there are plenty of deadbeats who ABUSE the system, but just as many who need it, don't abuse it. And it makes me sick to hear people lump anyone who gets assistance of any kind into the same boat and then to feel free to call them names. It's people like that, that karma tends to bite on the behind and rightly so.

I have a very good, long term friend and his daughter, who has had some major health issues, is renting my (our) other house.

She just got a job teaching in Rome and her rent is next to nothing, literally.

(heck the water bill is almost as much as the rent)

BUT, she is a friend (well, the daughter of a friend, I am kinda like the crazy uncle no one wants to admit is in the family, except around family) and we are trying to help her and having her in the house helps us also.

Also, a shout out to Citizen Cain, who when I was in a jam, rented me a room back in the early 90's at a very reasonable cost. Friends helping friends. (well....co-workers helping co-workers :) )

• Like 1

I agree totally. Especially the part I highlighted.

I agree totally. Especially the part I highlighted.

:good: I feel like that if I have it to give or whatever means to help now, that's my chance, because tomorrow it could be me who needs something.

• Like 1

VERY WIDESPREAD. It happens very often and usually due to the fact that paperwork gets "misfiled" frequently. However, the local food stamps are overseen by the individual states, who use some money granted from the feds. Many times, people turn in paperwork at the reception desk but do not wait to have it scanned for their case worker or fail to put their case number or social security number on the actual paperwork. Even faxes have been misfiled. Sometimes, it just gets lost. This is a "normal" issue and despite the inconvience, is usually handled quickly. The problem is that even if the issue is fixed, they only do the deposits once a month. Then, on the deposit date on the next month, the corrected amount from the previous month goes in, as well as the current month. For people living paycheck to paycheck, this is a major issue, but it IS due to human error, not the Federal shutdown.

Hand outs vs. hand ups.

Preach.

I don't know of anyone who is opposed to ALL assistance. What we are opposed to is paying for handouts for political purposes and for those who are allergic to hard work. And for myself I would not accept a handout while I am able to work. Other than a physical problem I cannot see why someone would need a handout....just how I see it.

• Like 1

Hand outs vs. hand ups.

:wub:

Yes this is happening everywhere. My Aunt lives 3 hours from here. Has a job but gets paid very little. Single mother trying to raise her daughter. Applied turned in EVERYTHING. Nothing, Went back said she need this and that she showed them where she had already turned it in and all she got was we have to put it in the computer then the food stamp place has to do there part. So she scaned them again to make sure. Still nothing. Went back up there and was told well you need to turn the paper in. Showed where she did got well I don't know let me go look. Waited 30 mins. came back and was told it didn't take. Turned them in AGAIN... A month and a half later still NOTHING.

all I can say is that I personally see people who are in serious need. After 12 years in the business I still have problems telling who is telling the truth and who is not. But one thing I can see is that there is a lot of very sad situations in this community. I am thankful for Helping Hands and all that they do for this community and our people.

Please remember that they need food to help feed.

I pray that God Bless our food ministries!!