• NO
    • SOMETIMES
    • N/A
  3. 3. DO YOU GET THE PNEUMONIA SHOT?

• YES
    • NO
    • SOMETIMES
    • N/A
  4. 4. HAS THE PNEUMONIA SHOT EVER MADE YOU SICK?

• YES
    • NO
    • SOMETIMES
    • N/A

Well, they're saying get them before they run out, but then the strains change mid-stream so do I get one now or wait until later when it starts and they actually see what strain they're dealing with? The flu season started early last year and they think it will this year.

My doctor recommended the pneumonia shot last year because I get bronchitis easily.

And I had my shingles vaccine a couple of years ago and thank goodness, my insurance paid for it. It's about $300.

Won't matter. Either is a toss of the coin. They do the best they can to guess whats going to be the flavor of choice this year.

But it takes 5-6 months to develope and produce the vaccines, so there will be no Dead On matches for what is popping up in time to do any one on one.

But, all Type A Influenza vaccines will help your body produce the necessary antibodies to take what would have been an 8 or a 9 on a scale of severity of 1 to 10, and make it a 3 or a 4, drastically lessening the severity and longevity.

Then, depending on luck, if what you get is geared for an H5N1, and whats going around is an H5N5 you will get even better coverage and not catch it at all.

If you get the shot every year, you will build a library of antibodies that will continue to help your body not catch those strains.

• Like 1

Some who strongly feel they are getting a reaction from the flu shot, may indeed have issues with eggs. You can have some egg intolerance issues and still be able to eat them and not see a 1 to 1 correlation.

But, if injected, can indeed cause some tissue challenges within the allergy and immune systems.

You are NOT catching a true case or anything even close from a non-living virus. What is there is suffiencient to stimulate your immune system to produce the necessary antibodies. But the inactivated virus cannot actually cause a case of the influenza.

I have always gotten my flu shots, and I keep a standing script for Relenze because of the work I do with chickens. Chickens, Pigs, and humans all have similar Type A Influenza receptors. That is, any influenza a pig or a chicken were to have, can be transmitted to people.

• Like 1

Growing up my Mother always got the flu shot and every year said it gave her the flu. But, she continued to get it bc the doctor said it was was lighter version of what she would have gotten without the flu. As a result I never intended to get one. Several years ago when I told my doctor I didn't want it he said "ok, but, IF you get the flu you will die." Needless to say I get the flu shot every year. The year they ran out I went to Anniston, AL to get one as it was the closest I could find it. After my kidney transplant I basically do not have an immune system. I have never had any type of reaction to a flu shot.

I got my flu shot a couple of weeks at a routine appointment with my kidney doctor. I also get the pneumonia shot but it isn't due for another couple of years.

Let me add that last year I did get C Strain of the flu even after getting the flu shot. I was hospitalized but with my medical history that always happens with any illness. But, the doctor said although I tested positive for the flu it was a mild case and wasn't near as bad as it would have been without the shot. I know for a fact of two friends who had it and they were extremely sick for 3 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I personally believe it's a cash cow scam by the Pharmacutical Industry and takes advantage of people with fear mongering and fact twisting. It's supported by the Federal Government because of lobbyist from drug manufacturer that have convinced public health officials to perpetuate the scam with misinformation programs. :glare::glare::glare:

• Like 3

Looks like the people who have never had the flu are the ones who don't want to get a flu shot. Those of us who have had the flu, can't wait to get the shot.

Hopefully next week at this time I'll take my shingles shot and then in about two weeks, get the flu shot.

Looks like the people who have never had the flu are the ones who don't want to get a flu shot. Those of us who have had the flu, can't wait to get the shot.

Hopefully next week at this time I'll take my shingles shot and then in about two weeks, get the flu shot.

Be sure you check. I think it is four weeks between the two.

I'll be sure to ask how soon I can have the flu shot. Definitely want the shingles shot first as they already have it ready for me when I am ready.

I did not know that the shingles shot required a prescription.

Be sure you check. I think it is four weeks between the two.

I'll be sure to ask how soon I can have the flu shot. Definitely want the shingles shot first as they already have it ready for me when I am ready.

I did not know that the shingles shot required a prescription.

Prescription and it costs $250. And our insurance says they don't pay for it.

And very few places have it because it has to be frozen.

I've only had the flu once, and I never got the shot. Last year my mother got a sever case of the flu, and my youngest daughter tested positive for it after being around my mom, but it wasn't as bad. I never get the shot and don't give it to my kids.

I'm going to find out if my insurance will pay for it before I have it. Pretty sure Medicare covers it, so hubby should be fine.

Prescription and it costs $250. And our insurance says they don't pay for it.

And very few places have it because it has to be frozen.

I've only had the flu once, and I never got the shot. Last year my mother got a sever case of the flu, and my youngest daughter tested positive for it after being around my mom, but it wasn't as bad. I never get the shot and don't give it to my kids.

Same here. The first and only time the kiddos had the flu was a few years ago. They contracted the swine flu. First and last time they ever received the shot. Coincidence, maybe, but I don't really believe it was. :pardon:

Edited by Dana

Sorry, I personally believe it's a cash cow scam by the Pharmacutical Industry and takes advantage of people with fear mongering and fact twisting. It's supported by the Federal Government because of lobbyist from drug manufacturer that have convinced public health officials to perpetuate the scam with misinformation programs. :glare::glare::glare:

Agreed. I have no intention of taking any flu shots and prefer to do what I can to keep my immune system healthy. The gov't and pharma industry seem to want to create a nation of sick people dependent on drugs. Oh wait....they already have.

• Like 2

Ok, the flu last year is but a memory and since I only get it every decade or so, I'm thinking I will forgo the flu shot. And the pneumonia shot, sounds like it hurts to dang bad.

I think I'm still undecided, but as of today, no flu shot for me. I really don't want to get unnecessarily sick from a shot.

• 3 months later...

Ok, the flu last year is but a memory and since I only get it every decade or so, I'm thinking I will forgo the flu shot. And the pneumonia shot, sounds like it hurts to dang bad.

I think I'm still undecided, but as of today, no flu shot for me. I really don't want to get unnecessarily sick from a shot.

I just saw this. I did get the flu shot last year, and I was feeling great before I got it, later that night around 8PM I felt bad and felt bad all the next day. First time I remember this happening.

I didn't get it and I'm not going to get it.

I've had something since November thru December, went to the doctor and they said RSV. A viral upper respitory infection. Two rounds of antibiotics and a dose pack of prednisone.

I just don't feel like being sick again from a flu shot.

If I get it, they can just put me in the hospital.

I've had them in the past, but I don't really trust them now. Too much of a gamble injecting my weak immune system, with asthma, with something that I may never even come into contact with - every single year. Used to it took years of testing to get anything out to the public. Now, things get rolled out way too quickly. I've had my own close calls with some of these new medicines, one of which almost left me crippled. I recovered after a few months, but others did not. I just don't trust getting stuck with some bacteria/virus every year from China along with whatever else is in there.

My Dad had a reaction to the flu shot twice. Once the reaction was so bad he was delirious and didn't know where he was. The other time, his temperature went way up and he did not feel well at all.

One of the doctors on "The Doctors" said she got the flu after getting the shot and said that it was only 60% effective.

I'm scared of the flu, but I'm scared of the shot too. We (hubby and I) have been debating about it for about a month now. I have such weird reactions to medications, I kind of worry about what might happen if I do have the shot.

I got my flu shot about two weeks ago. A day later our area lost an EMT to the flu. Last I heard his wife was fighting for her life in Birmingham where she was flown by our version of LifeFlight (ironically the air version of the ambulance service for which her husband worked). Doctors were not sure she was going to survive and at the time his death was announced, she was in a coma so she did not know about his death.Even if the flu shot is only 60% effective, that is 60% better odds than not getting the shot at all.I've had the flu. Twice. I'll get the shot from now on, thank you very much.

<br />I got my flu shot about two weeks ago.  A day later our area lost an EMT to the flu.  Last I heard his wife was fighting for her life in Birmingham where she was flown by our version of LifeFlight (ironically the air version of the ambulance service for which her husband worked).  Doctors were not sure she was going to survive and at the time his death was announced, she was in a coma so she did not know about his death.Even if the flu shot is only 60% effective, that is 60% better odds than not getting the shot at all.I've had the flu.  Twice.  I'll get the shot from now on, thank you very much.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Good Lord, that's terrible. I didn't have the shot and I had the flu, I can't imagine the shot making me nearly as sick as the flu did. So, if I've had the flu, do I still need the shot?

I was sick a few years ago, not sure if it had anythng to do with the flu shot, probably not, since I had Pneumonia and Bronchitis. But, I was in the hospital for 10 days. I had to come home with a nebulizer and only had to use it a few times.

We ALWAYS get the Flu Shot and we have never had any issues, afterwards. However, my children refuses to get the flu shot!!!

Flu shot looks different this year. Maybe that is the reason I didn't feel so hot after it. I had the muscle aches and just not having any energy that started the night after the shot and the following day. Not sure which one they gave me.

"Two flu vaccines available this season, Flucelvax® and Flublok®, are manufactured using new production techniques: Flucelvax is the first seasonal influenza vaccine licensed in the US that is produced using cultured animal cells instead of fertilized chicken eggs. Flublok is the first seasonal influenza vaccine made using recombinant techniques and does not use eggs at all in its production. Flublok also does not use the influenza virus in its production. The safety profile of these two new vaccines in clinical trials was similar to other IIVs. Common reactions included pain and redness at the injection site, headache, fatigue, muscle aches and malaise."

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/general.htm

Doctors will tell you that you do still need to get the shot. I did when I had it in 1989/1990. I had the flu sometime around Thanksgiving and the minute my doctor said I was well enough to have a shot, I did. I wasn't taking a chance on getting the flu again especially since I had it so early in the season.

The EMTs death has been a shock to this area. People seem to ignore a flu death until it hits home. This hit home. The man was very well thought of by co-workers and the citizens he served.

Edited to add: like I said earlier, I had the flu shot about two weeks ago. I didn't even have a sore arm afterwards. As always when I get an injection or give blood, I had a mild headache that afternoon, but that's standard for me. I can't remember which flu shot version I had and I threw away the paperwork last week or else I could look and see.

Good Lord, that's terrible. I didn't have the shot and I had the flu, I can't imagine the shot making me nearly as sick as the flu did. So, if I've had the flu, do I still need the shot?

<br />Doctors will tell you that you do still need to get the shot.  I did when I had it in 1989/1990.  I had the flu sometime around Thanksgiving and the minute my doctor said I was well enough to have a shot, I did.  I wasn't taking a chance on getting the flu again especially since I had it so early in the season.<br /><br />The EMTs death has been a shock to this area.  People seem to ignore a flu death until it hits home.  This hit home.  The man was very well thought of by co-workers and the citizens he served.  <br /><br />Edited to add:  like I said earlier, I had the flu shot about two weeks ago.  I didn't even have a sore arm afterwards.  As always when I get an injection or give blood, I had a mild headache that afternoon, but that's standard for me.  I can't remember which flu shot version I had and I threw away the paperwork last week or else I could look and see.<br /><br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

It's easy to see why this can kill people. I realize that while I felt REALLY bad and ended up at the hospital, if you ignore the symptoms and you have it way worse that I did, the dehydration in itself will put you in the ground. So many people tend to 'poo poo' feeling bad thinking that they aren't really sick or they hate dr's, etc., but I don't know what may have happened if I had continued to lay in bed and not go get the help I needed.

There have been famous people who have died ignoring severe symptoms, Jim Henson died of bacterial pneumonia and had been sick and refused to go to the dr., Conway Twitty died of a stomach aneurism after being in severe pain for several days. I don't prefer dr's, and I am P-H-O-B-I-C about needles and IV's, but they could have put an IV in my eye a few Saturdays ago at the hospital and I wouldn't have cared.

I ensure my family and myself has a flu shot each and every year. In the past when I was in the military the Flu shot would make me sick but that was long ago and times have changed quite a bit concerning the flu shot. Since I have been getting the flu shot and my family has gotten the flu shot none of of has suffered from the Flu for more than a couple days. My opinion is the Flu shot is well worth the effort.

• Like 1

When my daughter and her family moved down here, I decided to get my flu shot because I knew Starr would be bringing home all kinds of stuff and I would be around here. Now, they have moved out so they don't live with me. But all four of them have the flu. Even though they don't live here with us, I'm still glad I had the flu shot. It's pretty bad around here.

I ensure my family and myself has a flu shot each and every year.  In the past when I was in the military the Flu shot would make me sick but that was long ago and times have changed quite a bit concerning the flu shot.  Since I have been getting the flu shot and my family has gotten the flu shot none of of has suffered from the Flu for more than a couple days. My opinion is the Flu shot is well worth the effort.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Lowrider, I get the flu shot each year and have for about the last 10 or so years. It is typically given here at my job in October of each year through December being December when the outbreak typically occurs in the community. I take it in November toward the end of the month. This allows the vaccine to stay in my system until March of the following year. If you take it too early in the year you may see its effects wear off early. It is offered at my job and is mandatory. I took it years before it became mandatory. I wouldn't go a year without it as i had the flu once so bad i didn't think i would make it. Also the pnumonia vaccine is offered once after your 65 or you can take it earlier, which i did, and then once more after your 65. Neither of these vaccines have ever made me sick. I take the free tylenol offered with the vaccine just to ward off any soreness from the vaccine site. Hope this helps you in your decision.