Paulding.com

The contract comes up I do believe October 15th or there about and all companies wishing to can bid for the job. The way it should be done, whoever gets the bid is the new provider. End of story. Not up to the county or any of your local politics all controlled by the board out of Rome.

That makes waaay too much sense, so I'm sure that's not how it will be handled. Once again, the cynic in me rears it's ugly head.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like Sam, he is a good man and has served the county well. Change never comes without some pain. I hope he can find peace and prosperity with less on his plate.

There has been a lot of criticism of Sam over the years. He holds a political position and it comes with the territory. There has been a lot of issue over the last few years over the amount of money

Just be the better person and give the benefit of the doubt. We (and what I mean by that, the people on this board) won't fall for it, if that is the case and it turns out to be. We'll just ignore t

So ... if Metro bought Clark Ambulance ... does that mean they automatically get to be the new ambulance provider?

Yes if Metro buys it then it is theres. Just like it you buy a store it is yours. I have a close friend that works for them that how I know.

The contract comes up I do believe October 15th or there about and all companies wishing to can bid for the job. The way it should be done, whoever gets the bid is the new provider. End of story. Not up to the county or any of your local politics all controlled by the board out of Rome.

The thing that is different is the 'subsidy' that the county provides. That subsidy is subject to negotiation between the county and the provider. While the state Region 1 folks in Rome recommend the counties provide aid to providers, they don't control the purse strings at the county level.

The challenge to anyone providing service in Paulding reverts down to population densities. The eastern third of the county has moderate 'suburban' density and on top of that you Dallas to that equation. Because demand tends to be higher in that part of the county - i.e. more runs (and there is a run whenever the FD is dispatched to an accident.)

The problems arise when you try to serve the less dense (lower demand) areas. The first notion is to serve the more rural areas from the locations you design to optimize service from the more densely populated areas. With the lower density, the distances traveled and response times tend to increase as a result.

If you placing units near those areas so response times are more reasonable is they aren't used often enough to generate enough revenue to make that part of the service self-supporting. Hence the subsidies.

Selecting and provisioning locations to provide the 'best' service is more an art than a science and with, as you point out, a low-bid process is the path to getting the business, the profit motive of a private ambulance service is at odds to with providing optimal service everywhere.

Monetarily, there are simply places in this county that it would be impossible to profit from providing even an adequate level of service. In essence, a private ambulance service would have to earn more money from the active areas to cover the losses. It makes more sense, rather than putting the cost of subsidizing the service on the small universe of ambulance users at a high cost per user in the profitable areas of the county (who don't benefit from the improved service in the rural parts) to have the county provide a subsidy so all citizens have an adequate level of service.

That is why the county subsidy is a critical component to providing adequate service throughout the county. And that is also why the county government has a dog in the hunt. They could deny a subsidy to one private provider and alternately, be generous with another. The players in the game are involved with the county powers that be and depending on the deal they have or think they will get, will be able to adjust their bids respectively.

None of this, BTW, changes the dynamic in regard to the Region one process.

pubby

Bottom line for me; if I need an ambulance, call 911 and a reliable, capable, prompt service shows up at my house to help, that's all I care about.

Amen to that .... isnt that the most important thing? I dont care about all the politics. What is in the best interest of the citizens? That is the $64,000 question. Why have we not heard anything from our county leaders? There is nothing on the county website that addresses this issue. No mention of what the citizens want. Will we be able to vote on what service we want? I have heard great thing about Puckett and great things about Metro. Why not have two providers providing coverage? Can the county do that or do they have to have an exclusive provider.

I know ... I know ... alot of questions for one post. I just think something smells "fishy" in our county government. Just sad!!!!

The thing that is different is the 'subsidy' that the county provides. That subsidy is subject to negotiation between the county and the provider. While the state Region 1 folks in Rome recommend the counties provide aid to providers, they don't control the purse strings at the county level.

The challenge to anyone providing service in Paulding reverts down to population densities. The eastern third of the county has moderate 'suburban' density and on top of that you Dallas to that equation. Because demand tends to be higher in that part of the county - i.e. more runs (and there is a run whenever the FD is dispatched to an accident.)

The problems arise when you try to serve the less dense (lower demand) areas. The first notion is to serve the more rural areas from the locations you design to optimize service from the more densely populated areas. With the lower density, the distances traveled and response times tend to increase as a result.

If you placing units near those areas so response times are more reasonable is they aren't used often enough to generate enough revenue to make that part of the service self-supporting. Hence the subsidies.

Selecting and provisioning locations to provide the 'best' service is more an art than a science and with, as you point out, a low-bid process is the path to getting the business, the profit motive of a private ambulance service is at odds to with providing optimal service everywhere.

Monetarily, there are simply places in this county that it would be impossible to profit from providing even an adequate level of service. In essence, a private ambulance service would have to earn more money from the active areas to cover the losses. It makes more sense, rather than putting the cost of subsidizing the service on the small universe of ambulance users at a high cost per user in the profitable areas of the county (who don't benefit from the improved service in the rural parts) to have the county provide a subsidy so all citizens have an adequate level of service.

That is why the county subsidy is a critical component to providing adequate service throughout the county. And that is also why the county government has a dog in the hunt. They could deny a subsidy to one private provider and alternately, be generous with another. The players in the game are involved with the county powers that be and depending on the deal they have or think they will get, will be able to adjust their bids respectively.

None of this, BTW, changes the dynamic in regard to the Region one process.

pubby

Great explanation Pubby .... so what has the county set aside as a "subsidy" for ambulance service? It has to be in the budget.

a) Something pretty much always smells fishy in the county government, IMHO. <_<

2) If the Dept. of Health folks in Rome have the final decision, I'm guessing getting all hot-and-bothered with county leaders wouldn't do much good. Although I'm sure they could register their opinions with the Dept. of Health.

Yes if Metro buys it then it is theres. Just like it you buy a store it is yours. I have a close friend that works for them that how I know.

Ya know I thought that too but apparently thats not the case. I called Region I EMS office and David Foster (Region I Director) said that the zone was in Sam Clarks name personnaly and not in Clark Ambulance Service. So ... he said the zone would have to go out to bid. Metro will not be able to "buy"it.

The plot thickens!!!!

I understand the decision will be made in October. From what I am hearing, if Puckett gets it a lot of people

will lose their jobs. I would sure hate to see this happen.

Why would'nt Puckett want to keep the employees ... are they that big they can just bring in new people? Seems to me they would want to keep people that were familiar with the area. Smart business to me.

1379035606[/url]' post='3839722']

I know $250K sounds like alot of money ... but with a county budget of over $50 million ... that don't seem like a whole lot of money to run an ambulance service. No wonder Clark was having fimamcial trouble.

Clark was a billing nightmare.... I know multiple people, myself included who requested to be billed for over a year. One person I know gave up after two years of asking! Clark only has their billing department to blame, not the county.

Clark was a billing nightmare.... I know multiple people, myself included who requested to be billed for over a year. One person I know gave up after two years of asking! Clark only has their billing department to blame, not the county.

Let's just say that "that billing department no longer exists"--if you get my drift. Not all of this is Sam's fault, unless you count trusting folks.

1379040181[/url]' post='3839732']

Let's just say that "that billing department no longer exists"--if you get my drift. Not all of this is Sam's fault, unless you count trusting folks.

Good to hear! Just imagine all the folks who never bothered to ask for a bill, I am sure that is a small fortune!

There has been a lot of criticism of Sam over the years.

He holds a political position and it comes with the territory.

There has been a lot of issue over the last few years over the amount of money he takes in.

He is the coroner and some folks feel there is some conflict being a coroner and having a funeral home, yet everyone that has run against him has been in the funeral business.

He is a very trusting man nobody will argue that.

He is a very decent and caring person.

Sam has helped a lot of folks over the years, I personally know more than a handful that he was there for when nobody else would help them.

Some of us have known the nature of Sam's problems the last few years.

If can't be easy to be coroner,funeral home director, and ambulance service.

He has helped many over the years, he stepped up to the plate when it came to the ambulance service when we were a backwoods town.

I can only wonder after years of serving us, if anyone offered to help Sam when he was having difficulty serving the people here.

It is so much easier just to find fault.

I hope that Sam will find a way to enjoy the time he has without running the ambulance service.

Some of us appreciate how hard he has worked and how much he gave this community.

• Like 3

Good to hear! Just imagine all the folks who never bothered to ask for a bill, I am sure that is a small fortune!

An ambulance service has to put in claims just like a doctor.

They have to get paid by the auto insurance company, medicare, medicaid, medical also.

You have no idea how hard it is to get this money. Sometimes you send in claim after claim for years. You have no idea how many people will take a settlement and blow it and you never see a dime.

They spend so much time trying to collect this money, they have claims on their books years old waiting on retroactive medicaid,and cases to be settled.

They have to get paid by the auto insurance company, medicare, medicaid, medical also.

You have no idea how hard it is to get this money. Sometimes you send in claim after claim for years. You have no idea how many people will take a settlement and blow it and you never see a dime.

They spend so much time trying to collect this money, they have claims on their books years old waiting on retroactive medicaid,and cases to be settled.

In our case, they kept billing us for a non-emergency trip (of a significant charge because it was to Rome) when we kept telling them AD NAUSEUM that Medicare would pay it and Daddy's secondary ins. would pay the rest. We even called Medicare and the secondary ins. to confirm, and they said yes, but they have to submit it before we'll pay.

From what I hear from people I trust, Sam is a good man. Sounds like he just didn't have good people working for him in some areas. Or maybe he was too nice or something. IDK. I hate it for him, because that surely would be a stressful enterprise.

You have no idea because that is completely wrong in their case... It wasn't a matter of the insurance not paying, it was a matter of it never being billed. I WANTED it billed because I had met my maximum out of pocket and that is why I stayed on their butts about it. And this situation was not a rare one. I understand there are cases where they get screwed but you would think those people who repetitively ask for a billing to be processed over a year later would get some kind of priority.

ETA - I am not criticizing Mr. Clark, rather his choice of accounting folks....

Edited by All I Hear is Blah Blah Blah

You have no idea because that is completely wrong in their case... It wasn't a matter of the insurance not paying, it was a matter of it never being billed. I WANTED it billed because I had met my maximum out of pocket and that is why I stayed on their butts about it. And this situation was not a rare one. I understand there are cases where they get screwed but you would think those people who repetitively ask for a billing to be processed over a year later would get some kind of priority.

ETA - I am not criticizing Mr. Clark, rather his choice of accounting folks....

I understand, I just wanted to point out how bogged down they were. I wish he could have been helped out rather than replaced.

I had my bill in about 30 days because we knew we would have some out of pocket. My husband wanted to make sure Sam got paid.

So, I have to say ... I have been really intrigued by this thread. Initially it was thought that this post had an alterior motive ... now it seems to have drawn some very interesting conversation. Because of that, I have been doing alot of "investigating". I am just that way I guess. Now, I am no Inspector Gadget ... but I do know a little about private investigation. I was in that field for many years. So here is how I see it from an outsider looking in:

Sam Clark has been a long standing pillar in the Paulding Community. He has gained alot of support through his many business adventures. He has alot of friends and supporters and a lot of enemies. A man with that diverse portfolio is sure to be missed interpreted and judge (often falsely). I see Sam Clark as being a man with a huge heart but little business sense. He has done the best he can do for many years but now the time has come for change.

There is Paulding County ... a community that is growing expodentially with alot of economic prowless. What used to be considered a "red-neck" nation ... now is becoming the premiere county in the state. A new hospital is coming soon and it has its own airport! Looks like all the makings of a new metropolis to me. That is what attracted me here in the first place.

Now ... enter the governing authority. The illustrious Board of Commissioners. From what I have been able to gather, you have a relatively new guy with great aspirations and a genuine "good" heart, then you have the "outcast" that has honorable intentions but has not been indoctrinized into the "clan". Then you have the guy that represents well and talks the talk but questionable as to walking the walk. Next you have the "rat". Plan and simple he can not be trusted.... would lie to your face and be in the front pue of church on Sunday morning. Finanlly, as in most examples of our nations government structure, you have the leader who is self serving, contentious and down right arrogant. He would sell his soul to the devil to make a buck. How can anyone win when you have that type of leadership.

Mr. Clark, you should hold your head up high and know that you have done the best you could. You must take responsibility for the things you have control over, but know there are those who geniunely appreciate your service to the community. Your legacy will live on and that can never be taken from you.

THE CHALLENGE: Who will continue the legacy Sam Clark has started. On one side you have a gentle giant that has established itself as an honorable company with years of integrity and professionalism. On the other, you have a mega company well established as an industry leader with lots of financial baking and political "connections". Who is the best fit for Paulding? If you leave it up to your Board of Commissioners you can see the writing on the wall. However, you do have a voice. As a citizen of Paulding and the ones who elected those count officials ... you have a say and need to be heard! There are many in the political arena that do not want this issue to be heard. The choice is yours ... be silent and take what the government gives you ... or speak up and be heard. The next commisiioners meeting is scheduled for September 24th. The work session is at 10 AM with the official meeting at 7 PM. Get on the agenda to have your voice heard.

Really, who cares? Everyone knows Clark Ambulance has problems with its staff, its billing, its everything. The staff at Clark is known as being "less than stellar" in their qualifications and their function. Their billing is, well, "questionable" and they are under investigation for it. This is nothing new. Everyone knows it. Who cares? Really. Who cares? The Feds will handle the Medicare Fraud and the state will handle the other billing problems. Regional will handle the rest of the stuff. Let the process work. Going over it and over it does nothing but keep people pissed off.

Really, who cares? Everyone knows Clark Ambulance has problems with its staff, its billing, its everything. The staff at Clark is known as being "less than stellar" in their qualifications and their function. Their billing is, well, "questionable" and they are under investigation for it. This is nothing new. Everyone knows it. Who cares? Really. Who cares? The Feds will handle the Medicare Fraud and the state will handle the other billing problems. Regional will handle the rest of the stuff. Let the process work. Going over it and over it does nothing but keep people pissed off.

I was told the investigation of Sam is over. The infractions were minor and along the line of mistakes rather than any effort to commit medicaid fraud.

So, I have to say ... I have been really intrigued by this thread. Initially it was thought that this post had an alterior motive ... now it seems to have drawn some very interesting conversation. Because of that, I have been doing alot of "investigating". I am just that way I guess. Now, I am no Inspector Gadget ... but I do know a little about private investigation. I was in that field for many years. So here is how I see it from an outsider looking in:

Sam Clark has been a long standing pillar in the Paulding Community. He has gained alot of support through his many business adventures. He has alot of friends and supporters and a lot of enemies. A man with that diverse portfolio is sure to be missed interpreted and judge (often falsely). I see Sam Clark as being a man with a huge heart but little business sense. He has done the best he can do for many years but now the time has come for change.

There is Paulding County ... a community that is growing expodentially with alot of economic prowless. What used to be considered a "red-neck" nation ... now is becoming the premiere county in the state. A new hospital is coming soon and it has its own airport! Looks like all the makings of a new metropolis to me. That is what attracted me here in the first place.

Now ... enter the governing authority. The illustrious Board of Commissioners. From what I have been able to gather, you have a relatively new guy with great aspirations and a genuine "good" heart, then you have the "outcast" that has honorable intentions but has not been indoctrinized into the "clan". Then you have the guy that represents well and talks the talk but questionable as to walking the walk. Next you have the "rat". Plan and simple he can not be trusted.... would lie to your face and be in the front pue of church on Sunday morning. Finanlly, as in most examples of our nations government structure, you have the leader who is self serving, contentious and down right arrogant. He would sell his soul to the devil to make a buck. How can anyone win when you have that type of leadership.

Mr. Clark, you should hold your head up high and know that you have done the best you could. You must take responsibility for the things you have control over, but know there are those who geniunely appreciate your service to the community. Your legacy will live on and that can never be taken from you.

THE CHALLENGE: Who will continue the legacy Sam Clark has started. On one side you have a gentle giant that has established itself as an honorable company with years of integrity and professionalism. On the other, you have a mega company well established as an industry leader with lots of financial baking and political "connections". Who is the best fit for Paulding? If you leave it up to your Board of Commissioners you can see the writing on the wall. However, you do have a voice. As a citizen of Paulding and the ones who elected those count officials ... you have a say and need to be heard! There are many in the political arena that do not want this issue to be heard. The choice is yours ... be silent and take what the government gives you ... or speak up and be heard. The next commisiioners meeting is scheduled for September 24th. The work session is at 10 AM with the official meeting at 7 PM. Get on the agenda to have your voice heard.

You had me at hello, now you have me at "can't bullcheeze a bullcheezeer" and we have lot's of those on here. Another words, we see inside your crystal ball, and we don't like what we are starting to see. Our stronger posters might have skipped or backed off from this thread....They have self restraint...Me, not so much, to blunt. But, not quiet enough to say, what might be on some minds. But, I could be wrong.

You see, I might not get along with all the people on here, but they are my people, my distant (way off the moon distant) family, and I don't like for them to be played, even thou, I'm sure some of them, caught on before I did. This topic has been ran into the ground, beaten by the horse, worn out, and any other saying you can think of....So, we can stop now, or we can wait for you, or another person to visit in another 6 months or so.

So, I might owe TBIRD an apology, he/she might have been right all along. This time, said person might have used more couth!

Now, on the other side of my face......WE STILL ON THIS???

If anyone of you had every stepped foot in the business office you would know that his office personnel had not done billing in over 3 years! I believe whent this was started over and over again a open invitation was given to come by any time to see for yourself BUT NO not one of you stepped through that door and asked questions to some one who could answer them correct so from someone who has been there done that. If you dont know what you are talking about when you talk ill of others you need to learn some manners! Didnt your mama ever tell you JUDGE YOURSELF before you JUDGE others. No one knows the truth but the ones who work/worked there.

1379126385[/url]' post='3840027']

If anyone of you had every stepped foot in the business office you would know that his office personnel had not done billing in over 3 years! I believe whent this was started over and over again a open invitation was given to come by any time to see for yourself BUT NO not one of you stepped through that door and asked questions to some one who could answer them correct so from someone who has been there done that. If you dont know what you are talking about when you talk ill of others you need to learn some manners! Didnt your mama ever tell you JUDGE YOURSELF before you JUDGE others. No one knows the truth but the ones who work/worked there.

What the heck are you talking about? Stepped through what door? Clark's? If so, why would we? unsure.gif

You expect a private citizen to walk through the doors and demand that they open their books? Really? Although you may have been told this is Mayberry. It really isn't.

• Like 1

That doesn't even make sense. Somebody's not biliing for something people owe - most folks aren't gonna go hunt them down to find out why. We went farther than most people would by calling both Medicare and secondary ins. to confirm for Clark's that they would pay if the claim were submitted, and we gave the information to Clark's. We didn't owe the money...Medicare and the secondary ins. did. Sorry, but if they didn't want to file the claims, that's not our problem.

Otherwise, I still don't understand your post.

• Like 1

So u would know the truth. Everyone goes by what the hear and each time a little more is added.

I wasn't going by what I heard. I was going by what we experienced with them. Period.

True story. I'm irked that I came back into the thread.

You had me at hello, now you have me at "can't bullcheeze a bullcheezeer" and we have lot's of those on here. Another words, we see inside your crystal ball, and we don't like what we are starting to see. Our stronger posters might have skipped or backed off from this thread....They have self restraint...Me, not so much, to blunt. But, not quiet enough to say, what might be on some minds. But, I could be wrong.

You see, I might not get along with all the people on here, but they are my people, my distant (way off the moon distant) family, and I don't like for them to be played, even thou, I'm sure some of them, caught on before I did. This topic has been ran into the ground, beaten by the horse, worn out, and any other saying you can think of....So, we can stop now, or we can wait for you, or another person to visit in another 6 months or so.

So, I might owe TBIRD an apology, he/she might have been right all along. This time, said person might have used more couth!

Now, on the other side of my face......WE STILL ON THIS???

And I will accept your apology. :good:

I won't say a lot on here about this. I do know someone that works there and they do need their job. Some of Sam's "former" employees helped run the business in the ground--period. Along with the goodness of his heart--which is just Sam.

I have heard from other sources that the "P" people are really trying to sway the County--in whatever way they can. But, then again, it isn't the first time.

For all of the employees--that do need their jobs, I am afraid if the "P" people get the service, there will be a lot of unemployed folks. These are folks that have been helping the people of PC for years. Is that fair?? And I feel that it would be done out of spite--period.

• Like 1

I've know Sam for 20+ years and am proud to call him friend.

Sam and his team have provided exceptional services to my family both through the ambulance service and funeral home.

Sam and his team have served my family during the darkest night of our lives when we suddenly lost our daughter and has stood with us when we celebrated my MaMa's home going. I'm one who has chased Sam for bills because he has always been too compassionate to send me a bill. I have told my friend Sam face to face he is too free hearted when it comes to billing.

I've seen Sam serve several families when they lost children to cancer when I know first hand the families had been financially wiped out caring for their children's long term medical care. To watch the funerals staffed with a fully staffed team and me knowing Sam would not get paid brought me to my knees when Sam worshiped in the back as these families grieved.

I came here over 25 years ago from South Carolina. That community has since gone to a county provided EMS system with a yearly budget that has grown to over $10,000,000.00 per year. And we complain about $250,000.00 a year and free fuel. According to my in-laws our county contribution brings us better service than the service provided in my hometown. Call 911 here and ask for grandma to be taken to the hospital and an ambulance will arrive and transport grandma. In SC call 911, an ambulance will arrive, once they determine she's old and its not an emergency, you will give them a check for $750.00, they will give you a receipt, they will transport grandma and then later you will file with Medicare. I talk to family in SC often and they will always ask about our friend "the undertaker". Ask them about their EMS and funeral services and they are jealous of our services. They have seen our ambulance and funeral services first hand and rank ours highly superior to theirs.

I've shared my opinions and observations with several commissioners (and now you) and my warning to them (and you) is "Be careful what you pray for, You might get it".

• Like 1

Ok ... Ok ... sorry I even brought up the subject. If it pisses you off so much, then why post anything. Just let the thread die. Obviously ... you know it is the most crucial decision that Paulding County is faced with. I have been a PC citizen for several years and have two children in the school system. So yes ... I have a say. You may not like what I have to say but that is the beauty of living in America. We all have the "freedom of speech".

Ok ... Ok ... sorry I even brought up the subject. If it pisses you off so much, then why post anything. Just let the thread die. Obviously ... you know it is the most crucial decision that Paulding County is faced with. I have been a PC citizen for several years and have two children in the school system. So yes ... I have a say. You may not like what I have to say but that is the beauty of living in America. We all have the "freedom of speech".

YOU LIED!!!! AND I STUCK UP FOR YOU AT FIRST. THERE FOR YOU LOST ALL CREDITIBILITY!!

AND WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE. IT JUST IRKS ME THAT YOU TRIED TO PLAY ME/SOME. DON'T MESS WITH THE FAMILY!

TO BAD YOU DON'T HAVE THE ^&%$#(*&&% TO COME OUT WITH YOUR REAL NAME/OR WHAT YOU REALLY POST UNDER.:angry: YOU CAME ON HERE TO START DRAMA, YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE DOING. :angry:

Sorry Icon ... didnt mean to offend. I had a family memeber transported by Clark ambulance and have no complaint. One of their employees told me that. I am new to Paulding and someone told me this was the forum to get some REAL answers!

HE IS WATCHING YOU AS YOU LIE!! START PRAYING FOR FORGIVENESS.

Who are you saying is pissed off??? I will support my friend Sam (and any other friend) when given the opportunity.