Paulding.com

Leash Law

As I understand it, Paulding County does have a leash law. When you allow your dog to roam and he chases my son on his bike and he in turn kicks the dog in order not to be bitten or crash..........don't come crying to me. I know there are responsible dog owners in this county and I commend you. But allowing your dog to terrorize my kid is not acceptable. Animal Control has been called and I hope they pick up your dog, you do not deserve to own it.

Edited by ssnora
  • Like 2

What for? Because the dog is behaving like an untrained dog? Why not spray it in the owner's eyes instead? They are the irresponsible party, not the dog.

I agree, but alas, that is illegal. My son protecting himself is legal. I even went to their house to speak to them, and they would not answer the door....but the dang dog is still running around.

My neighbors dog is about to get pepper sprayed. We live in a rural area, so I'm aware that dogs are running wild, but one dog (who runs in a pack of 3) is gradually gettting more aggressive each time I go for a morning walk. On Monday he actually bit me (didn't break skin). When I came back by on the way to my house he tried to bite again but only got my shirt and put a hole in it.

My neighbors dog is about to get pepper sprayed. We live in a rural area, so I'm aware that dogs are running wild, but one dog (who runs in a pack of 3) is gradually gettting more aggressive each time I go for a morning walk. On Monday he actually bit me (didn't break skin). When I came back by on the way to my house he tried to bite again but only got my shirt and put a hole in it.

Get a carry permit and shoot it.

• Like 1

WHAT? I love animals but this would fall into the hell no category. I would call SOMEONE. I'm not sure that would work because you live in Alabama. Any laws to protect you?

WHAT? I love animals but this would fall into the hell no category. I would call SOMEONE. I'm not sure that would work because you live in Alabama. Any laws to protect you?

I don't know what the law is here in this county. I'm leery to approach the neighbor about it because I don't want to start something in a community that is very deeply rooted and we are the new comers. But if he bites me again there are going to be words. I have the right to walk down a street without getting attacked. And I like dogs. For the past month the dogs will run out to the road when I walk by, and I've been smiling, saying "good boy" in a nice attitude hoping he would see me as friendly, but he's getting more and more aggressive. Started by just barking, then it was barking and bumping against me, and now its biting.

I understand a dog's nature to protect what he considers 'his' yard and expect him/them to come to the edge of the yard when I walk by to "warn" me off. However, coming out of the yard into the street (or worse yet, coming in to my yard) to attack me would cross the line.

Understand that when you keep going while he's barking, the dog thinks he's won and is chasing you off. I doubt the behavior will get better without action and as you've seen may get worse.

Get some pepper spray first, then mace if the attacks continue. Firearms would be my last resort (and not an option for those under 18). I wish there was a "skunk" type spray you could get. That would give both the dog and the owner reason to make sure it left you alone.

I don't know what the law is here in this county. I'm leery to approach the neighbor about it because I don't want to start something in a community that is very deeply rooted and we are the new comers. But if he bites me again there are going to be words. I have the right to walk down a street without getting attacked. And I like dogs. For the past month the dogs will run out to the road when I walk by, and I've been smiling, saying "good boy" in a nice attitude hoping he would see me as friendly, but he's getting more and more aggressive. Started by just barking, then it was barking and bumping against me, and now its biting.

I mean this in the nicest possible way: You're an idiot. Bless your heart. Report the bite. How do you know the dog doesn't have rabies? And you do have the right to not be attacked by roaming dogs. Pepper spray it or just shoot it.

The leash law doesn't apply in my subdivision. The worst offender (until their dog died) was our neighbor across the street. Never on a leash and then they would beat the dog for leaving the yard or running away from them while walking. They know better, too. He's a cop. We have a ton of dogs roaming the neighborhood. We called animal control once and they told us to go get the animal and put it in our back yard and they would come and get it when they had time. :blink:

I understand a dog's nature to protect what he considers 'his' yard and expect him/them to come to the edge of the yard when I walk by to "warn" me off. However, coming out of the yard into the street (or worse yet, coming in to my yard) to attack me would cross the line.

Understand that when you keep going while he's barking, the dog thinks he's won and is chasing you off. I doubt the behavior will get better without action and as you've seen may get worse.

Get some pepper spray first, then mace if the attacks continue. Firearms would be my last resort (and not an option for those under 18). I wish there was a "skunk" type spray you could get. That would give both the dog and the owner reason to make sure it left you alone.

Surely you can buy a form of skunk spray. That might be a fun idea

I mean this in the nicest possible way: You're an idiot. Bless your heart. Report the bite. How do you know the dog doesn't have rabies? And you do have the right to not be attacked by roaming dogs. Pepper spray it or just shoot it.

There's nothing to report. He nipped me. It didn't leave a mark. I have worked with abused and aggressive animals when I was in college. I don't feel that this dog will visciously attack me. I believe he is a dog that is used to playing rough with someone and is trying to protect what he thinks is his area. I don't want the dog picked up by animal control I just would like the owner to think about restraining it or keeping him inside.

Down here everybody has yard dogs, and that is what these three are. I'd considered bringing dog treats with me when I walk to see if I could just bribe him to leave me alone.