Paulding.com

Driveway is GONE without warning!

Was busy making a special dinner for my husband, preparing to celebrate our 26 year anniversary, when we receive a call from our son who had just left the house. The call was to tell me "Mom, this is bad! This is really bad!" His next line is not what I expected at all..."Mom, our driveway has been washed away, and we cannot leave nor can anyone get in."

Oh my goodness, not the kind of thing that we expected at all. Our culvert washed away downstream,s sometime shortly after my son and I had driven across it earlier.

This is not good. Not good at all! Very stressful. The blessing is that it didn't wash out while we were crossing over.

Praying that insurance, FEMA, or someone will help us with this. It is going to be so costly to repair :(

I live off of 92 between Macland and hwy 278. No one hurt, but if it had happened earlier, my story could be much different.

The storms were nothing compared to what we have had over the past 18 years. Shocked that this storm took our culvert and washed it down along with the top.

I wanted to post a couple of pictures, but just tried to post one and it said the file was too large. If anyone has any suggestions on how to post one, let me know.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on what we should do. We have complained many years about the debris that washes down, but nothing has ever been done. We had to get assistance from FEMA in 2009 to help repair this same area, as we had a sinkhole then. But nothing compared to this!

This stuff is no fun at all. If the area you are in was hit hard chances are resources will be at hand. Call your insurance company.

Good luck. It will be OK. It's just a drive way......you'll figure it out. :)

I would lo e to see some pictures. Use Photobucket, you can't get pictures to load on here. Just copy and paste the IMG from Photobucket.

Sounds like you're in the low lying area where the creek is.

Again, good luck!!

I live off of 92 between Macland and hwy 278. No one hurt, but if it had happened earlier, my story could be much different.

The storms were nothing compared to what we have had over the past 18 years. Shocked that this storm took our culvert and washed it down along with the top.

I wanted to post a couple of pictures, but just tried to post one and it said the file was too large. If anyone has any suggestions on how to post one, let me know.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on what we should do. We have complained many years about the debris that washes down, but nothing has ever been done. We had to get assistance from FEMA in 2009 to help repair this same area, as we had a sinkhole then. But nothing compared to this!

I would call my county commissioner. You are somewhere close to the line between Tommy Graham and Dave Carmicheals post line. The county deals with state and federal agencies often. Also any chance this culvert is on the county right of way? Another approach to take is that emergency vehicles cannot get in now.

I wish I was there to lend a hand or two :wub:

971588_4551411722495_1716562159_n.jpg

We had to put the large black drain pipes in our yard to handle water. We are the lowest lot on the street. At one time we had a ditch for drainage, very ugly.

I am wondering if you could get 2 of the metal pipes about 10 ft. long then have gravel trucked in to fill and make a driveway.

The pipe is not that expensive, there is a junk yard on north 61 on the Bartow line that carries this pipe.

I bought my drain covers from them.

I can't believe it just washed away like that and hope you can get some help from the county and/or your insurance.

Where are you so we can all drive by and look?:ninja:

:lol:

Culvert Jumping Contest!

Seriously, glad no one was hurt.

I hope you're able to get some help soon.

REMEMBER , please replace the pipe with the biggest possible pipe back in there. Even if you have a slight humped area over it, it will be better.

It helps if part of it is below the creek bed. Leaving a more open area for the water flow. It also helps during low water times for fish, etc. to pass through.

There are also debris traps that would stop material befor it enters the pipe, but you have to keep the stuff cleaned off it.

Your pipe probably had debris get stuck inside it, and that caused the water to start going around it.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

Look at this website for some cool ideas.

www.conteches.com/

Edited by krwills

So sorry about this, but the commish wont help. We had the same problem after the big floods a few years back. FIMA said it was the county's problem, the county said it was FIMA's, and all our commish wanted was for us to PAY his company to fix it. Luckily, I still have a few friends left from my construction days and, with a little help, fixed it myself. Our drive is concrete, so it cost a little more than your's will, but it'll be an uphill battle just the same. Once again, sorry this happened to you, but at least no one was hurt.

I am really surprised the little rain over the past few days has done this. We have had much greater storms and rainfall over the last 13 years since I have been here. When FEMA came out , did they reinforce or divert or what?? I know our road has suffered many environmental disturbances due to construction, creek widening, pond reconstruction upstream (and just next to you) in very recent years. So sorry! If there is anything we can do, pleas let us know.

I LOVE the look of your driveway (sans the ridiculous washout!). Man, I'm sorry that happened. Would this be in the county's right-of-way, and would it be their responsibility to fix? How have y'all gotten out?