Paulding.com

White Mansion on Dallas Acworth Hwy.

Don't know if anyone has posted on this yet,but I heard yesterday that it has been sold.The plan is to bulldoze the building and build like a super Ace Hardware in it's place.The Ace Hardware on East Paulding will be closing and moving there.

yes there were photos on here of the home, in fact the owner at one time was a member on here.as far as it being turned in to a mega ace hardware... that is surprising

It's ugly... I saw the MLS photos a year or two ago, it was not even remotely nice looking....

Found it, prepare to be let down... :rofl:

Click Here

I believe the place had a lot of structural problems, water leaks etc. I always thought it was a beautiful place from the road view.

I believe the place had a lot of structural problems, water leaks etc. I always thought it was a beautiful place from the road view.

I thought there was also zoning and permit issues.

I would love to buy some of the stone in the front yard.

It's ugly... I saw the MLS photos a year or two ago, it was not even remotely nice looking....

Click Here

Well in it's unfinished state, yes it is ugly.

I wonder if they are truly tearing it down, if there is a way one could go in, and get the cabinets, counters, light fixtures, etc? It would be a shame to see that type of stuff go to waste.

I thought there was also zoning and permit issues.

I would love to buy some of the stone in the front yard.

I was just about to call first dibs on the rocks. ^_^

Off to brush up on my hanging around construction site etiquette.

• Like 3

Looks like a house ready for Vanilla Ice to come in and finish it. It has ALOT of potential. And, most of the demo is done. No wonder there are water leaks - it's wide open. I can see the vision they had - it could have been really, really nice if the market hadn't fallen out.

Disclaimer - I grew up in currently being remodeled houses - this kind of stuff doesn't scare me.

• Like 4

Looks like a house ready for Vanilla Ice to come in and finish it. It has ALOT of potential. And, most of the demo is done. No wonder there are water leaks - it's wide open. I can see the vision they had - it could have been really, really nice if the market hadn't fallen out.

Disclaimer - I grew up in currently being remodeled houses - this kind of stuff doesn't scare me.

Get outta my head. :lol: I see the potential too. It could be really spectacular.

Interesting, all that stud installation is new since I was in it several years ago. It appears they did sell it to a church that started work on it. I was part of a team from our church that was looking at it seriously as a new building. We found the building is an interesting mix of overkill and under built. Massive beams in some places, yet the wiring looked inadequate, at least for our needs. The bedroom upstairs was an "Open" plan... there were no walls between the bedroom and the bathroom, you just walked from carpet onto tile and there was the tub and water closet. Looks to have all been ripped out now. The downstairs tub was built up on a several foot high pedestal as I recall. In Picture 24, that stair in the main room had a little doggie room build in under it. Just interesting stuff.

However, We were looking at a *lot* of work to make it pass the commercial code. Another issue was with the lot. While big, there are major storm water flows across it in several places that would have had to be contained to do any additions and pushing the storm water control underground was going to be expensive if we ever wanted to expand. As I recall, upgrading the septic to handle a church load was problematic also. We ended up passing after spending 20K or so in architectural and engineering studies.

Looks like somebody spent a lot of money gutting it, then must have found some of the same issues.

Interesting, all that stud installation is new since I was in it several years ago. It appears they did sell it to a church that started work on it. I was part of a team from our church that was looking at it seriously as a new building. We found the building is an interesting mix of overkill and under built. Massive beams in some places, yet the wiring looked inadequate, at least for our needs. The bedroom upstairs was an "Open" plan... there were no walls between the bedroom and the bathroom, you just walked from carpet onto tile and there was the tub and water closet. Looks to have all been ripped out now. The downstairs tub was built up on a several foot high pedestal as I recall. In Picture 24, that stair in the main room had a little doggie room build in under it. Just interesting stuff.

However, We were looking at a *lot* of work to make it pass the commercial code. Another issue was with the lot. While big, there are major storm water flows across it in several places that would have had to be contained to do any additions and pushing the storm water control underground was going to be expensive if we ever wanted to expand. As I recall, upgrading the septic to handle a church load was problematic also. We ended up passing after spending 20K or so in architectural and engineering studies.

Looks like somebody spent a lot of money gutting it, then must have found some of the same issues.

Were/Are you with the methodist church at Cedarcrest (can't think of the exact name) - a mission church from Due West Methodist?

Well in it's unfinished state, yes it is ugly.

I wonder if they are truly tearing it down, if there is a way one could go in, and get the cabinets, counters, light fixtures, etc? It would be a shame to see that type of stuff go to waste.

Judging by the kitchen and finished areas it wasn't all that nice to begin with.... At least not what you would expect from a home of that size/appearance from the exterior.

Click Here

These are not the pictures I remember from few yrs ago.Ones I remember didn't have all work/remodel going on. It was all open & huge rooms

In my opinion, that would be a "bad area" for an Ace hardware.

I went in there years ago when they were having weekly yard sales. It wasn't anything spectacular even when it was finished. It was creepy, it echoed, and the layout was odd. The big marble horses were uhhhh, different.

Ditto. Creepy works for me. <_<

This is the place that use to always have a tour bus parked in front of it.

I'd like just once to get a look inside that place.

You would be disappointed. Or at least I was ~ it wasn't ANYTHING that I expected and far from a "mansion". The floor plan was ridiculous and not livable friendly. The price they were asking was WAY over what it was worth IMO. Not to say that much wasn't spent on it but it was money wasted. I imagine that is why it never sold for anything other than to be bulldozed.

I went in there years ago when they were having weekly yard sales. It wasn't anything spectacular even when it was finished. It was creepy, it echoed, and the layout was odd. The big marble horses were uhhhh, different.

What did they sell at yard sales?

Click Here

It says it was built in 1982.

There is a list of prices. So on 12/19/2008, it sold for $624,371?

09/09/2010 Sold ►view detail $245,000 Public records Public records

Recording Date 09/09/2010

Contract Date 09/07/2010

Sale Price $245,000

Price Type Full amount computed from Transfer Tax or Excise Tax.

Transaction Type Purchase/Resale Arm's Length Residential Transaction

Document Type Warranty Deed

11/30/2009 Sold ►view detail $168,000 Public records Public records

Recording Date 11/30/2009

Contract Date 11/23/2009

Sale Price $168,000

Price Type Full amount computed from Transfer Tax or Excise Tax.

Transaction Type Purchase/Resale Arm's Length Residential Transaction

Document Type REO Resale

12/19/2008 Sold ►view detail $624,371 Public records Public records

What did they sell at yard sales?

The couple that were renting it bought storage units. They sold a little bit of everything and I do mean EVERYTHING!!!

He had it listed on E-bay for a million :blink:

Yes and he really thought he was going to get it, too!!

Does anyone remember the original house before they remodeled? It was a very ordinary

cedar home that they turned into what it is now.

I think it was actually an "underground" style home. Where you saw the front, and the rest was backed into the hillside.

HAHA !! The yardsales were creepy, like they would have 10 used hair driers, 8 curling irons, clothing in all sizes, 6 treadmills, shoes in all sizes.

We thought it looked like they ran Bate's Motel.