Paulding.com

My little Girl just turned 2 so I know I have awhile but what's the difference between lottery funded and private pre k? If Private is better and the way to go I'd like to move her to a private Day Care sooner than later! She is very brilliant for a 2 year old! She can count, knows all her colors, ABCs and even speaks some Spanish so I want to make sure I make the right decision! Thanks for your help!

They have to be five to be in pre-K.

My little Girl just turned 2 so I know I have awhile but what's the difference between lottery funded and private pre k? If Private is better and the way to go I'd like to move her to a private Day Care sooner than later! She is very brilliant for a 2 year old! She can count, knows all her colors, ABCs and even speaks some Spanish so I want to make sure I make the right decision! Thanks for your help!

yeah I thought it was 4 to! So if I moved her somewhere in the next year it would give her a year or 1 1/2 years she'd be able to be with her classmates for awhile before she started pre k. But like I said I have 0 idea how this works!

I'd really like to look into a Montessori but there really aren't any around here. There are a few in Cobb over but none in PC

Edited by Mommyof1

I thought they went to kindergarten when they were 5 and pre-k was 3 or 4?

You are correct.

And to the OP's question:

This last year, I had a pre-k kid. We did both: private and lottery-funded. My take? If you choose your lottery-funded pre-k carefully, you have no reason to pay $150 or so a week for a private program. Our pre-k kid went to a great school, and there was nothing in the lottery-funded program that he didn't get from the private pre-k at the same school.

I visited every program in our area before I chose though, so that's why I say...do your homework. Meet the teachers, tour the schools, and find what you are comfortable with. If they have a problem with giving you a tour at any time of the day when you drop by (don't schedule your visits--just drop by), then that is NOT a place you want your kid.

It's really common sense. Though I'm sure your muffin seems exceptional to you, they're really all in need of the same things at the pre-k level. And they're all geniuses when they're little and onlies. ;)

• Like 1

DS was I daycare, and they just transitioned them as they moved through the center. He went to Discovery Point (IMO the best daycare!!.) He started off in the infant room then just progressed. All the way through to Pre-K.

You are correct.

And to the OP's question:

This last year, I had a pre-k kid. We did both: private and lottery-funded. My take? If you choose your lottery-funded pre-k carefully, you have no reason to pay $150 or so a week for a private program. Our pre-k kid went to a great school, and there was nothing in the lottery-funded program that he didn't get from the private pre-k at the same school.

I visited every program in our area before I chose though, so that's why I say...do your homework. Meet the teachers, tour the schools, and find what you are comfortable with. If they have a problem with giving you a tour at any time of the day when you drop by (don't schedule your visits--just drop by), then that is NOT a place you want your kid.

It's really common sense. Though I'm sure your muffin seems exceptional to you, they're really all in need of the same things at the pre-k level. And they're all geniuses when they're little and onlies. ;)

I'm glad you found some lottery funded that were actually worth using. When I went through it with the princess a few years ago, I was told my one facility that I needed to "lower my standards," because they believed that pre-k was about socialization. And, when I visited facilities that offered both lottery funded and private pre-k, the teachers and directors show a lot of preference towards the private pre-k rooms. Overall, I wasn't impressed and we went with a Primrose school in Cobb and we absolutely LOVED it!!

yeah I thought it was 4 to! So if I moved her somewhere in the next year it would give her a year or 1 1/2 years she'd be able to be with her classmates for awhile before she started pre k. But like I said I have 0 idea how this works!

I'd really like to look into a Montessori but there really aren't any around here. There are a few in Cobb over but none in PC

My oldest, now 17, went to Rainbow Montessori. I was SO disappointed they had to close. He learned so much and really enjoyed going to school. My middle son went to Tallatoona Pre-K. He did well there, but did not learn as much as my oldest. My youngest went to Pre-K for one whole month and I had to take him out. He was NOT mentally ready at all. I taught him Pre-K stuff at home and when he went to Kindergarten, he was ready for school and already knew what he was being taught.

As my oldest sister told me, "Four years of age is not a magic number. Not all kids are ready for school at four." It was clear, my youngest was NOT ready at four. However, the next year he did GREAT in kindergarten. I was SO glad, because of the previous year I was really worried about kindergarten.

I'm glad you found some lottery funded that were actually worth using. When I went through it with the princess a few years ago, I was told my one facility that I needed to "lower my standards," because they believed that pre-k was about socialization. And, when I visited facilities that offered both lottery funded and private pre-k, the teachers and directors show a lot of preference towards the private pre-k rooms. Overall, I wasn't impressed and we went with a Primrose school in Cobb and we absolutely LOVED it!!

Thanks for the feedback Primrose Oregan Park is actually on my list to look at!!

I'd love to hear the ones that you weren't happy with you can PM me if you'd like!

Thanks for the feedback Primrose Oregan Park is actually on my list to look at!!

I'd love to hear the ones that you weren't happy with you can PM me if you'd like!

Sending you a PM

Our son had a wonderful kindergarten experience- I attribute that to the lottery Pre-K program at the Sunshine House by the Georgian neighborhood. Can I say wow? The teachers have masters degrees, the classrooms are decorated with interesting posters & class work. Centers- math, science, writing & reading. My son could write his full name, read on a kindergarten level, add, talk about weather, etc. We loved the school & attending costs $0. They're on the federal meal program so there were no lunch fees either. I can only say good things about our experience. I volunteered to read many times, could drop by within reason- it is PRE kindergarten & our classes thrived on schedules & routine. Go by & see for yourself once school starts this year. See Kathryn or Kim for a tour & I hope you'll feel as confident entrusting your child to them as I did. Save your money for elementary school supplies.... That's a tuition fee in itself & a whole nother thread!