Paulding.com

Parents buying "required" school supplies

Let me ask a question. EXACTLY where is a teacher going to store all those paper towels, ziploc bags, coffee filters, markers, crayons, pencils, tissues, disinfectant wipes, baby wipes, hand sanitizers, Post It notes, etc? Assuming even half of the kids bring these items, that is still a lot of stuff to store.

FYI, there is nowhere on the elementary school supply list up there that says these items are optional or not mandatory. The elementary school HERE has on the supply list on EACH PAGE "These supplies are NOT required or collection of fees mandatory according to Santa Rosa County Board policy No. 4.19.". That is strangely missing from a Cobb County school supply list--the words NOT REQUIRED.

The schools that my grandkids go to have never been asked for these things. You know it is only asking, wherever it is. It don't say your child can't come to school you don't. And lawd knows there is a lot of people that don't.I am so tired of people bitching about thins like this. If you don't want your child to furnish these things, maybe some other parent will,

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It really ticks me off that the stuff that you buy for your own child will be taken from them and given to others. You should be able to buy stuff for your kid and then buy 'generic' stuff (voluntari

First get off your high horse. You don't know our children, and you need to back off the eff off. Your mother chose her profession, she has a choice to do exactly what every other teacher can do. Se

My opinion is that if the teacher needs it to help teach my princess, I will make sure she gets it. But, I don't understand why parents feel like they shouldn't be asked to provide their little angel

If the cyber academy can do that, no reason other public schools can't do the same (the cyber academy provides everything needed).

I know in another thread I said that Georgia Cyber Academy provided everything except paper and pencil when one of my kids was enrolled. I guess I should clarify. They sent us all the stuff we needed education wise. Please don't think for one second I didn't supply my son with binders, folders, tab dividers, a dry erase board with markers, etc... anything he needed to help him be organized and do his best. Actually I didn't need to buy much of everything because we already had this stuff in the extra supply stash I keep for my kids and teachers thanks to those supply lists you have so much against.

And I at no time said that personal supplies should be provided by the school. It's just that schools are asking students and their parents to supply "classroom supplies" which SHOULD be provided by the school and not the student. I have NO, ZERO problem with the binders, the folders, the paper, the pencils or anything the student needs for THEIR OWN PERSONAL USE being purchased by the parent. Never said I had a problem with it. It's the communal items and the classroom supplies that I DO have a problem with.

As I asked someone else earlier, were kids in our day expected to bring chalk, chalkboard erasers or other classroom supplies? No, they were not. We were expected to be on time, prepared. I always had my stuff and enough pencils or paper or whatever someone else needed in case they needed to borrow something. I didn't bring something to clean the desks (the custodian did that) nor did I have to bring anything to clean the chalkboard (the school provided that). Then again, they school also provided textbooks in every subject. I understand that is not common now. I guess most teaching is on the computer now.

I know in another thread I said that Georgia Cyber Academy provided everything except paper and pencil when one of my kids was enrolled. I guess I should clarify. They sent us all the stuff we needed education wise. Please don't think for one second I didn't supply my son with binders, folders, tab dividers, a dry erase board with markers, etc... anything he needed to help him be organized and do his best. Actually I didn't need to buy much of everything because we already had this stuff in the extra supply stash I keep for my kids and teachers thanks to those supply lists you have so much against.

Certain men, or men in general????

I was going to start with certain men, like my ex-boyfriend. He lives out in the country in NC and a couple of weeks ago posted a picture of himself on facebook with a goat. I wasn't sure what to think at first, but then I was relieved. He's finally moved on.

Edited by GACat
  • Like 1

I was going to start with certain men, like my ex-boyfriend. He lives out in the country in NC and a couple of weeks ago posted a picture of himself on facebook with a goat. I wasn't sure what to think at first, but then I was relieved. He's finally moved on.

:rofl::rofl:

I am amazed every year how much people complain about having to buy school supplies. My sisters in Illinois not only have to buy the supply list they are given, but each kid has to pay a registration fee and buy books. That's elementary school, Jr. High and high school. They pay about $300 in registration fees per kid, higher in high school. They have to go buy their books in high school just like in college. One of my sisters has 3 kids in high school band. IN addition to paying the fees and books for school, they all had to go to band camp and pay the band fees in order to be in marching band - that was over $1,000 per kid. So don't complain. Georgian's have it easy with the taxes paying for school.

• Like 1

How do school taxes compare?

I am amazed every year how much people complain about having to buy school supplies. My sisters in Illinois not only have to buy the supply list they are given, but each kid has to pay a registration fee and buy books. That's elementary school, Jr. High and high school. They pay about $300 in registration fees per kid, higher in high school. They have to go buy their books in high school just like in college. One of my sisters has 3 kids in high school band. IN addition to paying the fees and books for school, they all had to go to band camp and pay the band fees in order to be in marching band - that was over $1,000 per kid. So don't complain. Georgian's have it easy with the taxes paying for school.

I am so glad I no longer have to deal with this :clapping:

I still have to deal with it, but it's not a big deal to me. I get the list, buy everything on it plus extra so I don't have to pay a fortune for stuff when I get a note home saying that the princess needs more whatever. Whenever I got to Wal-Mart or Target, I generally grab an extra box of crayons, pencils, watercolor paint, folders, etc. so I can add to the stash (and I will keep doing this for the next few weeks). And, I also have the clorox wipes, baby wipes, hand sanitizer and paper towels ready to take with me to school too.

I still have to deal with it, but it's not a big deal to me. I get the list, buy everything on it plus extra so I don't have to pay a fortune for stuff when I get a note home saying that the princess needs more whatever. Whenever I got to Wal-Mart or Target, I generally grab an extra box of crayons, pencils, watercolor paint, folders, etc. so I can add to the stash (and I will keep doing this for the next few weeks). And, I also have the clorox wipes, baby wipes, hand sanitizer and paper towels ready to take with me to school too.

Exactly!!! :drinks:

So, What happens if a kid can't pay?

So, What happens if a kid can't pay?

Well, for one thing, they can't be in band or play sports if they can't pay. They do have a "scholarship" and a few kids can get that for band. But if they don't go to band camp, they are not allowed to be in marching band. I'm not sure what the deal is if they can't pay for the school registration fees and books. I guess they are just expected to save up because they know it's going to have to be paid every year. Not sure really. I remember my mom making us buy all the used, beat up books because they were cheaper. We had six kids in our family.

Let me ask a question. EXACTLY where is a teacher going to store all those paper towels, ziploc bags, coffee filters, markers, crayons, pencils, tissues, disinfectant wipes, baby wipes, hand sanitizers, Post It notes, etc? Assuming even half of the kids bring these items, that is still a lot of stuff to store.

FYI, there is nowhere on the elementary school supply list up there that says these items are optional or not mandatory. The elementary school HERE has on the supply list on EACH PAGE "These supplies are NOT required or collection of fees mandatory according to Santa Rosa County Board policy No. 4.19.". That is strangely missing from a Cobb County school supply list--the words NOT REQUIRED.

What does it matter where? I know last year in my kids class they were given a huge amount of paper in various colors, I am talking boxes and boxes and the teacher put them in the room and took up wall space and didn't care one bit that it was taking up floor space because it was so helpful to her... They have the tops of shelves, cabinets in the sink area, under tables, etc. Plenty of room if needed.

I had one in marching band. If you couldn't pay for band camp, you couldn't march. But that's an extracurricular activity and not required.

I, too, was wondering what happened if a student couldn't pay that $300 or so to attend school.

Well, for one thing, they can't be in band or play sports if they can't pay. They do have a "scholarship" and a few kids can get that for band. But if they don't go to band camp, they are not allowed to be in marching band. I'm not sure what the deal is if they can't pay for the school registration fees and books. I guess they are just expected to save up because they know it's going to have to be paid every year. Not sure really. I remember my mom making us buy all the used, beat up books because they were cheaper. We had six kids in our family.

It could be a logistical nightmare for the teacher. Seems like it would be a much better solution to ask for half of the items at the beginning of the school year and the other half after Christmas break.

I hate walking around boxes and dealing with clutter. I can't imagine it would be conducive to a good learning environment to have to deal with all those boxes of things either.

What does it matter where? I know last year in my kids class they were given a huge amount of paper in various colors, I am talking boxes and boxes and the teacher put them in the room and took up wall space and didn't care one bit that it was taking up floor space because it was so helpful to her... They have the tops of shelves, cabinets in the sink area, under tables, etc. Plenty of room if needed.

The extra curriclures (sp,) I understand. I would expect that, but regular school stuff?

I think most of y'all missing the FACT that we don't mind getting extra. What we mind is the "required" "mandatory" thing. I can truly say that most of the folks I know will go out of their way to help some one truly in need, but when folks won't help themselves that's where the issue starts.

Edited by gog8tors

I had one in marching band. If you couldn't pay for band camp, you couldn't march. But that's an extracurricular activity and not required.

I, too, was wondering what happened if a student couldn't pay that $300 or so to attend school.

It could be a logistical nightmare for the teacher. Seems like it would be a much better solution to ask for half of the items at the beginning of the school year and the other half after Christmas break.

I hate walking around boxes and dealing with clutter. I can't imagine it would be conducive to a good learning environment to have to deal with all those boxes of things either.

Have you actually saw an elementary school classroom? Clutter free is not exactly how I would describe a classroom, boxes or not... All I remember my kids comments revolving around how extremely happy his teacher was to see them which made him happy too. Kids don't stress over clutter.... If it bothered the teacher she could have easily made it something attractive with posters, class assignments, etc. Clutter... sheesh.... :wacko:

I have a 1st grader. List seemed reasonable enough---- crayons, pencils, markers, box, glue, scissors, pack of paper, kleenex, erasers, baby and clorox wipes. folder. I think I spent $35-40 and got name brand crayons (Crayola), glue (Elmers), pencil (Ticonderoga), etc. I sent in 5-6 extra each of the consumable items like pencils, glue and crayons, markers. I'll probably go back and buy some extras just in case a request comes home later in the year.

I don't get the angst. Little me went to private pre-k at a private school. Guess what I spend $400 a month and still had to send much of the above plus we were always being asked for extra this and that- like clorox wipes. Every couple of months it was my turn to provide weekly snacks for the class-- another $30 or so. Kiddo never got sick while there-- so I have no problem sending in clorox wipes, hand sanitizer and kleenex. Its not any different at private schools.

I asked mini me about the availability of toilet paper. He said that several classes at once would go to the bathroom and the TP would quickly get gone. His school has a good custodian staff that comes around constantly cleaning, emptying and replenishing, but really-- after reading this and asking him about this-- a pack of flushable wipes is going in his pack. Additionally, after thinking about, I'll send in a 4 pack of TP to the teacher.

WE do the best we can to equip our child with what he needs to succeed. He takes music lessons and will be involved in other extra curricula activities that I pay for. I have no problem sending in extra stuff for children whose parents who are truly needy or whose parents are pieces of sh*t. We know all about the pieces of **** as we have one of those narcissistic types in our family who runs up thousands of $$ in CC debt buying stuff for himself but laments the fact he has to pay $160 a month for diapers, new shoes, clothes, toys, etc. Its unfortunate that so many children are the products of these type parents or the unfortunate circumstances of the bad economy. We all have to ask ourselves how our child could succeed in a classroom if the other children in the classroom didn't have the same materials also to participate in the lessons? It seems to me some of you are just short of saying well just round 'em up and put them in the trash and be d*mned with 'em..

Kids cost money. If you won't spend your money on your kids, stop b****ing on the forum, and look into placing your child for adoption...

Edited by Rose Luxemburg
  • Like 1

EXACTLY!! I never have minded getting extra and sharing with anyone in need. It's being told that I HAVE to get extra and share that rubs me the wrong way. I'd give someone the shirt off my back if they ask for it. If they tell me I'm giving them the shirt off my back, they better come with back up.

I don't even mind the school supplies. It's the fact that parents are having to provide them as well as classroom supplies which regardless of how you feel about getting these items and giving to the teacher, the SCHOOL SYSTEM should provide supplies for the teachers to use in class. The teachers shouldn't even have to pay for those. That should come out of the school budget. It's part of providing an education.

I think most of y'all missing the FACT that we don't mind getting extra. What we mind is the "required" "mandatory" thing. I can truly say that most of the folks I know will go out of their way to help some one truly in need, but when folks won't help themselves that's where the issue starts.

A friend of mine who lives in Cobb County posted a list of supplies that her child's public kindergarten is requiring parents to buy. Granted I'm not a parent, but to me this seems pretty ridiculous. And apparently this is required for the parents, not just a pretty-please donations list. Add all this stuff up, especially if brand names are required, and it looks like it can really add up. Notice the sentence near the end of this (I cropped off the specific school's name."

kindertwo.jpg

"Please do not label individual items with your child's name."

Excuse me? So a parent has to buy all this stuff with no guarantee that it will be used for their child only? What about the backpack and lunch box? Do you get that back at the end of the year?

My friend really can't afford all of this crap, she has 2 kids and she got laid off when I did. What happens if a parent genuinely can't afford all of this stuff? Do these schools supply anything besides the desk? Pre-sharpened pencils? Did they ban pencil sharpeners in school now or something?

Sorry, I'm just floored. Gawd, I'm glad my reproductive system was defective and I could only have Cats. I'm too much of a cheapskate to have human kids. :blink:

There would probably be more replies if the title was, "Grandparents buying required school supplies".

I have a 1st grader. List seemed reasonable enough---- crayons, pencils, markers, box, glue, scissors, pack of paper, kleenex, erasers, baby and clorox wipes. folder. I think I spent $35-40 and got name brand crayons (Crayola), glue (Elmers), pencil (Ticonderoga), etc. I sent in 5-6 extra each of the consumable items like pencils, glue and crayons, markers. I'll probably go back and buy some extras just in case a request comes home later in the year.

I don't get the angst. Little me went to private pre-k at a private school. Guess what I spend $400 a month and still had to send much of the above plus we were always being asked for extra this and that- like clorox wipes. Every couple of months it was my turn to provide weekly snacks for the class-- another $30 or so. Kiddo never got sick while there-- so I have no problem sending in clorox wipes, hand sanitizer and kleenex. Its not any different at private schools. My son went to a private pre-k, all we paid for was lunch.

I asked mini me about the availability of toilet paper. He said that several classes at once would go to the bathroom and the TP would quickly get gone. His school has a good custodian staff that comes around constantly cleaning, emptying and replenishing, but really-- after reading this and asking him about this-- a pack of flushable wipes is going in his pack. Additionally, after thinking about, I'll send in a 4 pack of TP to the teacher.

WE do the best we can to equip our child with what he needs to succeed. He takes music lessons and will be involved in other extra curricula activities that I pay for. I have no problem sending in extra stuff for children whose parents who are truly needy or whose parents are pieces of sh*t. We know all about the pieces of **** as we have one of those narcissistic types in our family who runs up thousands of $ in CC debt buying stuff for himself but laments the fact he has to pay $160 a month for diapers, new shoes, clothes, toys, etc. Its unfortunate that so many children are the products of these type parents or the unfortunate circumstances of the bad economy. We all have to ask ourselves how our child could succeed in a classroom if the other children in the classroom didn't have the same materials also to participate in the lessons? It seems to me some of you are just short of saying well just round 'em up and put them in the trash and be d*mned with 'em..

Kids cost money. If you won't spend your money on your kids, stop b****ing on the forum, and look into placing your child for adoption... Again you totally missed the point..

The extra curriclures (sp,) I understand. I would expect that, but regular school stuff?

Where did it say required within the body of the notice other than the OP saying it? I see these lists all the time and never notice required on any of them.... I know of one person with a list almost identical to this and theirs doesn't have required on it anywhere.... :pardon:

ETA - How would anyone have gotten a required list already from a teacher? Even if they did they shouldn't bitch about it, they should explain to the teacher it isn't a possibility right now and I bet you the teacher would be completely fine with it....

Edited by All I Hear is Blah Blah Blah

Where did it say required within the body of the notice other than the OP saying it? I see these lists all the time and never notice required on any of them.... I know of one person with a list almost identical to this and theirs doesn't have required on it anywhere.... :pardon:

ETA - How would anyone have gotten a required list already from a teacher? Even if they did they shouldn't bitch about it, they should explain to the teacher it isn't a possibility right now and I bet you the teacher would be completely fine with it....

My friend was told verbally it was required by someone at the school.

It will be interesting to hear how the face to face goes with the teacher because I suspect the verbal person is wrong.... I know Over the Moon is sometimes wrong but I on the hand... not yet, possibly in the future but not likely! :D

:p

I do know this came from central office, Teachers can take away, but they cannot add anything. They were talking about the list that was on the website. I don't ever buy from that list, because most teachers do not use half that is on it. The best thing is to wait until you go to open house, then the teacher will tell you. Just have paper and pencils the first 2 or three day, then get whatever the teacher says.

It will be interesting to hear how the face to face goes with the teacher because I suspect the verbal person is wrong.... I know Over the Moon is sometimes wrong but I on the hand... not yet, possibly in the future but not likely! :D

That could be true, it could have been a secretary or aide who told my friend that, and not the teacher herself. The whole "required" business didn't make sense to her or to me. :lol:

1375133287[/url]' post='3824285']

I've never been wrong in my life. I thought I was once, but...... blum.gif

Wow. We had to bring pencils and paper.

If you didn't bring it and couldn't borrow it off another kid, they sold both in the school office for cheap. Sometimes they had used pencils they would even let you have for free if you didn't have money to buy one.

I realize now I was lucky to have gone to school when it was an enjoyable experience, in classrooms with windows and recess on a red-dirt playground with swings and a slide. Seems like a stressful environment these days for everyone involved...

• Like 4

If you didn't bring it and couldn't borrow it off another kid, they sold both in the school office for cheap. Sometimes they had used pencils they would even let you have for free if you didn't have money to buy one.

I realize now I was lucky to have gone to school when it was an enjoyable experience, in classrooms with windows and recess on a red-dirt playground with swings and a slide. Seems like a stressful environment these days for everyone involved...

It is and I don't think kids learn as much.

That's the age level where I subbed.

Have you actually saw an elementary school classroom? Clutter free is not exactly how I would describe a classroom, boxes or not... All I remember my kids comments revolving around how extremely happy his teacher was to see them which made him happy too. Kids don't stress over clutter.... If it bothered the teacher she could have easily made it something attractive with posters, class assignments, etc. Clutter... sheesh.... :wacko:

My youngest went to private pre-k. There was nothing else to buy unless you wanted to.

I was co-room mother and spent two days a week in the classroom helping (I worked the other days school was in). I chaperoned field trips. I cut out hearts, Pilgrims, whatever the teachers needed help with. We were only expected to supply the basic necessities for our child--paper, folders (if needed), etc. We were never asked to bring cleaning supplies.

I don't get the angst. Little me went to private pre-k at a private school. Guess what I spend $400 a month and still had to send much of the above plus we were always being asked for extra this and that- like clorox wipes. Every couple of months it was my turn to provide weekly snacks for the class-- another $30 or so. Kiddo never got sick while there-- so I have no problem sending in clorox wipes, hand sanitizer and kleenex. Its not any different at private schools.

WE do the best we can to equip our child with what he needs to succeed. He takes music lessons and will be involved in other extra curricula activities that I pay for. I have no problem sending in extra stuff for children whose parents who are truly needy or whose parents are pieces of sh*t. We know all about the pieces of **** as we have one of those narcissistic types in our family who runs up thousands of $ in CC debt buying stuff for himself but laments the fact he has to pay $160 a month for diapers, new shoes, clothes, toys, etc. Its unfortunate that so many children are the products of these type parents or the unfortunate circumstances of the bad economy. We all have to ask ourselves how our child could succeed in a classroom if the other children in the classroom didn't have the same materials also to participate in the lessons? It seems to me some of you are just short of saying well just round 'em up and put them in the trash and be d*mned with 'em..

Kids cost money. If you won't spend your money on your kids, stop b****ing on the forum, and look into placing your child for adoption...

The lists, at least the one I saw, did not say anywhere that those items were optional or that they were merely "suggested" items. The one I saw, for Hendricks Elementary in Austell, said "bring items to Sneak-a-Peak". It read as though they were required and you darn well better have them before the first day of school.

At least here, the supply list states that none of the items are mandatory and that everything is asked for. That being the case, I think I'll go pick up enough for one kid's list and donate it to the school. After all, they are ASKING for these items. I'm a whole heck of a lot more generous when I'm asked for something than when you tell me I'll give it to you.

Since my sister was an upperclassman, being in the 8th grade, she worked in the school store where they did indeed sell paper, pencils, whatever you might need. And it was reasonable in price. Most teachers also had pencils you could use if another student didn't have one.

I loved going to that elementary school. I have wonderful memories of those years and the teachers, all of whom had a tremendous impact on my young life.

That could be true, it could have been a secretary or aide who told my friend that, and not the teacher herself. The whole "required" business didn't make sense to her or to me. :lol:

Or, she could have been told something like, "we are asking ALL parent to provide..." Asking all parents to provide and requiring them may sound the same to some.

My youngest went to private pre-k. There was nothing else to buy unless you wanted to.

I was co-room mother and spent two days a week in the classroom helping (I worked the other days school was in). I chaperoned field trips. I cut out hearts, Pilgrims, whatever the teachers needed help with. We were only expected to supply the basic necessities for our child--paper, folders (if needed), etc. We were never asked to bring cleaning supplies.

What we saw provided in a private pre-k was required of all parents when the princess started going to a private school. But, even if it were optional, I would still provide it. And did donate it for years to various teachers before the princess.

Edited by LisaC

The only issue I had with this year's supply list is the portable 3-hole punch the teacher wants every student to have. Really? The teacher doesn't have a 3-hole punch the students can use? It's bad enough that there's no textbooks at all in one class, but a hole punch?

I have five kids, I buy what is needed, not what they want them to have....they suggested index cards on a chain, or different colors....yeah thats cool but twice as much, mine got the old fashioned white index cards lol. I didnt buy highlighters or dry erase markers, my kids dont have dry erase boards so not sure why they need that.....and if the teacher needs it then shouldnt that be a supply the school gives? I just cant afford 50$ a child, I buy the folders, n ot the special folders, I buy the crayons, not the twistable crayons, etc, etc, etc....as for germx, copy paper, color copy paper, candy and the other 'supplies' the teachers ask for, I start buying those about a month after school and send in here and there throughout the year. But dang, when I was younger we had to have pen/pencil/paper/notebook...now they need flash drives and all the bells and whistles, and they arent even smarter then we were hahahaha

• Like 1
1375660311[/url]' post='3826618']

I have five kids, I buy what is needed, not what they want them to have....they suggested index cards on a chain, or different colors....yeah thats cool but twice as much, mine got the old fashioned white index cards lol. I didnt buy highlighters or dry erase markers, my kids dont have dry erase boards so not sure why they need that.....and if the teacher needs it then shouldnt that be a supply the school gives? I just cant afford 50$ a child, I buy the folders, n ot the special folders, I buy the crayons, not the twistable crayons, etc, etc, etc....as for germx, copy paper, color copy paper, candy and the other 'supplies' the teachers ask for, I start buying those about a month after school and send in here and there throughout the year. But dang, when I was younger we had to have pen/pencil/paper/notebook...now they need flash drives and all the bells and whistles, and they arent even smarter then we were hahahaha

I feel so completely different from this.... I want my kid to succeed and if a flash drive is a tool they need to do that, then I am getting them one. These are not the same times as when we went to school and the tools to succeed are different as well. In my opinion $5 a month is a bargain and a half for supplies.... I understand your feelings are different but in the grand scheme of things we are getting a deal!

• Like 4