Paulding.com

Parents buying "required" school supplies

I can guarantee you my mother spends far more than 250 bucks to educate your precious obnoxious little angels, and she doesn't require parents to turn in germ-x or any of that other stuff. She puts that on her dollar which is eating away at her retirement savings and she is 64. Thank god for parents that think everyone owes them absolutely every frigging little thing. If you are going to bring a child into the world BE PREPARED TO FRICKING PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are not, do the rest of us a fricking favor and don't have a damn kid.

BTW, why do I have to fricking pay school taxes when I have no kids?

Wow girl, we need some dip to go with that chip on your shoulder....

Honestly, this is nothing to get that ticked off about. Your mom made a choice to teach and she makes a choice not to ask for those things. If she wants families in her class to contribute, then she should ask. Of course there are parents that aren't happy about it, but it's not worth having an aneurism over - we have this same discussion every year.

And, if you don't want to pay school taxes, sell your house and rent an apartment - easy answer!

Edited by LisaC
  • Like 1
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It really ticks me off that the stuff that you buy for your own child will be taken from them and given to others. You should be able to buy stuff for your kid and then buy 'generic' stuff (voluntari

First get off your high horse. You don't know our children, and you need to back off the eff off. Your mother chose her profession, she has a choice to do exactly what every other teacher can do. Se

My opinion is that if the teacher needs it to help teach my princess, I will make sure she gets it. But, I don't understand why parents feel like they shouldn't be asked to provide their little angel

Wow girl, we need some dip to go with that chip on your shoulder....

Honestly, this is nothing to get that ticked off about. Your mom made a choice to teach and she makes a choice not to ask for those things. If she wants families in her class to contribute, then she should ask. Of course there are parents that aren't happy about it, but it's not worth having an aneurism over - we have this same discussion every year.

And, if you don't want to pay school taxes, sell your house and rent an apartment - easy answer!

Landlords still pay taxes, including school taxes. I used to feel the same way when we rented then I realized that my landlord was just paying the taxes for me, and I really did have a say in the way things were done.

I totally agree with the rest of your statement.

In that situation, driving them to school is what you gotta do. But when the bus literally stops in front of your house and you still drive them to school just doesn't make sense.

Have you rode a bus lately? It would take me a long time to tell you what all happens on these buses.

• Like 1

Landlords still pay taxes, including school taxes. I used to feel the same way when we rented then I realized that my landlord was just paying the taxes for me, and I really did have a say in the way things were done.

I totally agree with the rest of your statement.

True, but the responsibility of the taxes is taken away. On the bright side, senior citizens are exempt from school taxes at some point - she does have that to look forward to.

• Like 1

I can guarantee you my mother spends far more than 250 bucks to educate your precious obnoxious little angels, and she doesn't require parents to turn in germ-x or any of that other stuff. She puts that on her dollar which is eating away at her retirement savings and she is 64. Thank god for parents that think everyone owes them absolutely every frigging little thing. If you are going to bring a child into the world BE PREPARED TO FRICKING PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are not, do the rest of us a fricking favor and don't have a damn kid.

Dayum.

FYI I always volunteered , subbed, bought teachers supplies to share for the whole class , worked the fall festivals, etc. I sent in stuff when both of mine were in middle school as well. I will have two in high school this year and I will continue to do what I can to help. I am not the only parent who has done this and will continue to do so. The parents who help, be it their time, money, etc., far outweigh the ones who think the schools owe them. Sounds like you really don't like kids or the teaching profession. If you spent some time volunteering in the schools your perspective may change.

I thank your mother for teaching our precious, obnoxious little angels. It's sometimes a thankless job but so very rewarding when you change a child's life by being a great role model to them. Teaching gives you the chance to make a difference in a child's life. Sometimes, a great educator is the only positive role model they have and has changed many a child's path in life.

• Like 3

This thread depresses me.....because of the lack of support for teachers, not because of the supply list.

Two day into the 2013-14 contact year and I already have to pull this out..

It's not a lack of support for teachers, it's a lack of support for the parents who won't step up, and then it leads the teacher to be the one begging for supplies.

The list that is posted states a backpack, and lunch box. Why would I provide someone else's kid those two items? Is Cobb Co. going to start asking for all parents to start providing school clothes as well?

A couple of thoughts here.

I have heard parents say, about things like booster clubs, PTA type things "I don't want to deal with the drama." I totally understand that. Been there done that.

I have also let teachers know I will help with the class, or whatever just to get blown off. So either you want my help,or you don't.

I also get the feeling that once DS gets into high school it will basically "drop him off, and we'll call you if we want to tell you anything." Basically "don't call us, we'll call you." Boy are they in for a surprise.

For all you teachers, I do have a question when do you decide to let a parent know that their kid is failing a subject? When do you let the parent know that the kid is causing problems?

For my kid I want to know that he is struggling when his grade drops below a "B," I want to know the first time he gets into trouble, not the third time. So, while your bemoaning parents that don't care, how bout giving props to those of us that do? There are more of us that give a damn then ones that don't.

I haven't been inside a classroom in decades, nor had kids, so I will plead guilty to being clueless here on some stuff. :lol:

I think it is the part that a parent is not allowed to designate at least a portion of the supplies for their own child, with the remainder going to the general supply to help out kids who are themselves on the public assistance roll that bugs me. I also agree, that is not a child's fault, ever. I think my friend (and I) would have less of a problem with this if it were a matter of okay, your kid will need an estimated X-# of disinfectant wipes (any brand, NOT requiring name brand) and you may designate said supplies for your own child's personal use. If your child uses up his own supplies too early in the year, then it is your responsibility to purchase more. Not just use up the general supply other parents have paid for. Then ask for donations for the other children whose parents are unable to provide.

My fingers have grammar & geography issues today, sorry.

I'm pretty sure that if you get Great Value disinfecting wipes they will be ok with that. Also, I would think that a no-name brand of child scissors would do, not just Fiskars. When I read the list I immediately skip over the "name" brand and insert whatever the heck brand I want to buy. I was put off by having to provide dry erase markers AND the eraser. I know that the children now use these markers when going to the board to write out a problem, etc. But I personally do not remember having to provide chalk for the teacher or myself when I was in school.Or hand soap, or paper towels, or hand sanitizer, or wipes. The schools should still provide these necessities, but I guess they just don't anymore.

Edited by DawnofaNewDay

1) No, I will not get off my high horse, partly because I am not on one. I have seen how kids act these days and the only reason they act as such is because of their parents, the lack of guidance from their parents, and the lack of discipline from their parents.

2) My mother made that choice over 40 years ago, when schools did pay for supplies, when parents did give a crap, when parents were not their child's friend but a parent, when parents didn't think junior could do no wrong. I feel so much for my mother cause the parents these days running my mother into an early grave, and I will blame them when she dies early, as she has given her all to the education of children. She lives, breathes, eats, drinks education. This woman does not know the word quit or stop. She does everything in her power for her students and yes sometimes at the detriment to her own children (rare, but it has happened.), such as staying until 9pm at night to grade, or set up an experiment for the next day.

3) Ya, you might be a bit delusional. Even renting an apartment you are still paying school taxes through the landlord.

4) No one really has a say in how the schools are run.You can voice your displeasure and even have a whole group behind you, doesn't mean crap. Politicians are running the schools and they really really ought not to be because the majority of them are idiots.

5) If no one makes the parents stand up and do their share for their children, they won't. They think everyone else is going to do it, which leaves the teachers begging and spending hundreds out of pocket.

6) Many parents have no respect for teachers and look at them as glorified babysitters. If you want that find a high school drop out and pay them crap.

Parents have no idea, no clue what teachers of my mother's caliber do for their children and how much is put into teaching their children. They could learn a lot from her in how to educate their children, and how to be parents. If you think a teacher is a babysitter...if you think that a teacher should provide everything in a classroom for a student...if you think you have nothing to do with your child's education...YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE HAD A CHILD!!!!

If you do give a crap this post is not directed at you and I thank you for giving a crap about your kid.

Edited by Danaerys
  • Like 2

This thread depresses me.....because of the lack of support for teachers, not because of the supply list.

Two day into the 2013-14 contact year and I already have to pull this out..

I absolutely love this! Thanks so much for sharing.

BTW, thanks for all you do for your students. You are one of the ones who will impact a child's life in a positive manner. :)

1) No, I will not get off my high horse, partly because I am not on one. I have seen how kids act these days and the only reason they act as such is because of their parents, the lack of guidance from their parents, and the lack of discipline from their parents.

2) My mother made that choice over 40 years ago, when schools did pay for supplies, when parents did give a crap, when parents were not their child's friend but a parent, when parents didn't think junior could do no wrong. I feel so much for my mother cause the parents these days running my mother into an early grave, and I will blame them when she dies early, as she has given her all to the education of children. She lives, breathes, eats, drinks education. This woman does not know the word quit or stop. She does everything in her power for her students and yes sometimes at the detriment to her own children (rare, but it has happened.), such as staying until 9pm at night to grade, or set up an experiment for the next day.

3) Ya, you might be a bit delusional. Even renting an apartment you are still paying school taxes through the landlord.

4) No one really has a say in how the schools are run.You can voice your displeasure and even have a whole group behind you, doesn't mean crap. Politicians are running the schools and they really really ought not to be because the majority of them are idiots.

5) If no one makes the parents stand up and do their share for their children, they won't. They think everyone else is going to do it, which leaves the teachers begging and spending hundreds out of pocket.

6) Many parents have no respect for teachers and look at them as glorified babysitters. If you want that find a high school drop out and pay them crap.

Parents have no idea, no clue what teachers of my mother's caliber do for their children and how much is put into teaching their children. They could learn a lot from her in how to educate their children, and how to be parents. If you think a teacher is a babysitter...if you think that a teacher should provide everything in a classroom for a student...if you think you have nothing to do with your child's education...YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE HAD A CHILD!!!!

I'm seeing who you are now, interesting.

If you do give a crap this post is not directed at you and I thank you for giving a crap about your kid.

:clapping:

I knew that at McEachern the band and the athletics were not necessarily supported by tax dollars but by foundation money.

I am not sure but I thought that SPLOST money paid for the turf. Note to self: might want to research that one.

My objection to artificial turf is that it does not contribute to helping a kid learn how to do algebra or how to learn to read. That is where the majority of the school funds need to be spent, not on glitz and glitter.

DS hates artificial turf.

FYI folks (Not directed at you S&DN) your tax dollars do not pay for the athletics. Now, I can't say that for the counties that do have the artificial turf. Although I do understand it to be easier to care for therefore saving money in the long run. :pardon:

I know what you mean. My youngest graduated in 1999. From 1974, before I was married, until 2012 I paid school taxes on at least one piece of Cobb County property and some years on two. From 1978 until 2012 I paid taxes on two pieces of property.

Hubby turned 62 last month so if we had stayed up there, we would not have had to pay school taxes next year. Florida doesn't do that and we will always have to pay them here (unless the law gets changed).

No need to explain to me what happens on a bus because I have gotten details from bus drivers. I even know someone who drives a Greyhound bus. The stories he tells make the school bus drivers look like they really do haul nothing but angels.

Could NOT pay me enough to drive a school bus. My hats off to those who do.

Have you rode a bus lately? It would take me a long time to tell you what all happens on these buses.

I assure you, knowing my friend for nearly 9 years, that she gives way more than a crap about her child, her child's education and her child's teacher. As far as not having a kid if you can't afford it, it's about 5 years too late for her to terminate a pregnancy. Not that she would anyway. My friend got laid off. It happens. Things happen where a parent finds themselves in a serious financial bind, due to job loss, divorce (maybe an abusive spouse), widowhood, medical disability...the list goes on. So to tell them to cough up money for name brand supplies and to be unable to designate at least a portion specifically for her own child (especially the book bag & lunch box) is just bull. She'd be more than happy to help less fortunate kids if she herself were working. But in reality, she's the one who needs someone to help her & her kids this year, not the other way around. So don't assume she's a slacker or some welfare rat. Yes, there are some parents like that. My friend is a damn good parent. She's a fantastic parent. She'll buy everything on this list but feels like it's somewhat of a financial burden right now.

Question about the markers, don't they use chalkboards in schools anymore? We had to buy our own writing supplies and paper back in the day, but never cleaning or art supplies, unless there was some flat fee that I can't remember. Seems like we had to pay a deposit on textbooks, like a damage deposit when you rent an apartment.

• Like 2

1) No, I will not get off my high horse, partly because I am not on one. I have seen how kids act these days and the only reason they act as such is because of their parents, the lack of guidance from their parents, and the lack of discipline from their parents. You are still on a high horse, you don't have kids. JSYK, MOST of the parents I know will bust that behind in a heartbeat. Either literally or figuratively. Teachers can demand discipline in their classrooms.

2) My mother made that choice over 40 years ago, when schools did pay for supplies, when parents did give a crap, when parents were not their child's friend but a parent, when parents didn't think junior could do no wrong. I feel so much for my mother cause the parents these days running my mother into an early grave, and I will blame them when she dies early, as she has given her all to the education of children. She lives, breathes, eats, drinks education. This woman does not know the word quit or stop. She does everything in her power for her students and yes sometimes at the detriment to her own children (rare, but it has happened.), such as staying until 9pm at night to grade, or set up an experiment for the next day. Her CHOICE, she still has control in her classroom. That's one of the things I just don't get. If it is such a problem for the teacher to buy things that they shouldn't have then why do it? Send a note, e-mail, calling post stating hey would love to do X but I don't have the funds for it. So, if your kid doesn't have X then to bad so sad. Because if we keep allowing the moochers to mooch then the ones of us who do care will quickly stop caring.

3) Ya, you might be a bit delusional. Even renting an apartment you are still paying school taxes through the landlord. I covered that

4) No one really has a say in how the schools are run.You can voice your displeasure and even have a whole group behind you, doesn't mean crap. Politicians are running the schools and they really really ought not to be because the majority of them are idiots. Gooberment in general

5) If no one makes the parents stand up and do their share for their children, they won't. What? Stop enabling the behavior? No, no after all it's "for the children."

They think everyone else is going to do it, which leaves the teachers begging and spending hundreds out of pocket. Then stop spending money. Stop enabling the behavior.

6) Many ( A few ) parents have no respect for teachers and look at them as glorified babysitters. If you want that find a high school drop out and pay them crap.

Maybe this is up to the teachers. Maybe the teachers need to stand up, and say we will have control, we will not spend money out of our pockets just because it's become expected.

Back 30+ years ago parents made sure their kids had what they needed. Kids also knew that they would not get away with being disrespectful or anything even close. But, the truth the teachers EXPECTED you to behave, they didn't give excuses (like I have heard) Like the ones you gave in your first sentence.

There will always be poor kids, there will always be parents who don't give a damn. But they are not the majority, and the majority should not be punished for them.

Edited by gog8tors
  • Like 1

Actually, if memory serves me correctly, the elementary schools in Cobb do have as part of the supply list "a change of clothes". Wonder if you're supposed to put your child's name on them or not.

I remember vividly volunteering to help when the fundraiser order came in at school one year. I think my youngest was in either kindergarten or first grade because this was at the old Powder Springs Elementary and it closed when she was in second grade. Anyway, I volunteered to help sort the order. I showed up to work. Ready, willing and anxious to help only to be told, very coldly, "if you're not willing to join PTA, we don't need your help today" at which point the person who told me that turned around. I left and never volunteered again that year for anything. I don't think I even baked cookies. Heck fire, when I was room mother a couple of years later, I graciously accepted ANYONE'S help whether they were a member of PTA, the NRA or the CIA.

I'm not a teacher but I'd like to answer your question. We found out that our youngest was in danger of failing math, and not being able to graduate on time, one week before finals. I was livid! She actually did not know she would be able to graduate until practice had started. The really bad thing is she ended up with good enough grades to get the HOPE scholarship so I really had to wonder how close to failing she really was. But tell me as soon as the kid MIGHT be in danger of failing.

Our middle one was in the principals office so often she had her own chair. rolleyes.gif

It's not a lack of support for teachers, it's a lack of support for the parents who won't step up, and then it leads the teacher to be the one begging for supplies.

The list that is posted states a backpack, and lunch box. Why would I provide someone else's kid those two items? Is Cobb Co. going to start asking for all parents to start providing school clothes as well?

A couple of thoughts here.

I have heard parents say, about things like booster clubs, PTA type things "I don't want to deal with the drama." I totally understand that. Been there done that.

I have also let teachers know I will help with the class, or whatever just to get blown off. So either you want my help,or you don't.

I also get the feeling that once DS gets into high school it will basically "drop him off, and we'll call you if we want to tell you anything." Basically "don't call us, we'll call you." Boy are they in for a surprise.

For all you teachers, I do have a question when do you decide to let a parent know that their kid is failing a subject? When do you let the parent know that the kid is causing problems?

For my kid I want to know that he is struggling when his grade drops below a "B," I want to know the first time he gets into trouble, not the third time. So, while your bemoaning parents that don't care, how bout giving props to those of us that do? There are more of us that give a damn then ones that don't.

I assure you, knowing my friend for nearly 9 years, that she gives way more than a crap about her child, her child's education and her child's teacher. As far as not having a kid if you can't afford it, it's about 5 years too late for her to terminate a pregnancy. Not that she would anyway. My friend got laid off. It happens. Things happen where a parent finds themselves in a serious financial bind, due to job loss, divorce (maybe an abusive spouse), widowhood, medical disability...the list goes on. So to tell them to cough up money for name brand supplies and to be unable to designate at least a portion specifically for her own child (especially the book bag & lunch box) is just bull. She'd be more than happy to help less fortunate kids if she herself were working. But in reality, she's the one who needs someone to help her & her kids this year, not the other way around. So don't assume she's a slacker or some welfare rat. Yes, there are some parents like that. My friend is a damn good parent. She's a fantastic parent. She'll buy everything on this list but feels like it's somewhat of a financial burden right now.

Question about the markers, don't they use chalkboards in schools anymore? We had to buy our own writing supplies and paper back in the day, but never cleaning or art supplies, unless there was some flat fee that I can't remember. Seems like we had to pay a deposit on textbooks, like a damage deposit when you rent an apartment.

And, you friend is the person that most of us would bend over backwards to help. PM me, I might have some extra stuff (like the pencils) she can have.

They have gone to Dry-erase boards now.

• Like 1

1) Like I said if you actually give a crap THIS IS NOT FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!

2)Gog8tors: No I don't have kids, I physically can't trucking have them. If I do manage, it will be a god damn fricking miracle. (Thank you for fricking reminding me)

A)You obviously do not know any juvenile probation/parole officers and their case load. (I know several)

B) No she does not have control because all children must be treated equally...aka if someone doesn't have it the teach has to provide it. If not there would be a whole fricking inquisition about why this child was left out (It has been done before).

C) It is all for the children, that is why teachers give a crap. Many parents do not care about what happens to the "precious offspring" they burdened the world with.

D) Again, if the teacher does not provide it, there would be a fricking inquisition about why said child was left out...no child left behind. Ohs noes.

E) Again you obviously do not know any juvenile probation/parole officers and their case load. (I know several)

3) GACAt: Rarely if any classroom has chalkboards now. Most teachers do not care if you get name brand or not. Like I said if they actually give a crap THIS IS NOT FOR YOU!!!!

Actually, if memory serves me correctly, the elementary schools in Cobb do have as part of the supply list "a change of clothes". Wonder if you're supposed to put your child's name on them or not.

I remember vividly volunteering to help when the fundraiser order came in at school one year. I think my youngest was in either kindergarten or first grade because this was at the old Powder Springs Elementary and it closed when she was in second grade. Anyway, I volunteered to help sort the order. I showed up to work. Ready, willing and anxious to help only to be told, very coldly, "if you're not willing to join PTA, we don't need your help today" at which point the person who told me that turned around. I left and never volunteered again that year for anything. I don't think I even baked cookies. Heck fire, when I was room mother a couple of years later, I graciously accepted ANYONE'S help whether they were a member of PTA, the NRA or the CIA.

I'm not a teacher but I'd like to answer your question. We found out that our youngest was in danger of failing math, and not being able to graduate on time, one week before finals. I was livid! She actually did not know she would be able to graduate until practice had started. The really bad thing is she ended up with good enough grades to get the HOPE scholarship so I really had to wonder how close to failing she really was. But tell me as soon as the kid MIGHT be in danger of failing.

Our middle one was in the principals office so often she had her own chair. rolleyes.gif

My oldest spent his fair share in the principals office too. But, it was always because of a reaction to something. Well except for this one time.........ummm lets just say he is/was quite the entrepreneur. :lol:

I've had the same issue with the PTA. Now I have a friend that would love to have anyone help, she is the president of her child's PTA. But, I'm referring to teachers.

And, you friend is the person that most of us would bend over backwards to help. PM me, I might have some extra stuff (like the pencils) she can have.

They have gone to Dry-erase boards now.

I appreciate that, I'll let her know. She has local family support thankfully and her husband still works, so hopefully this is just a one-time burden. :good:

I'm going to ask another clueless, non-parent question. I'm a homeowner, pay property/school taxes. I have no problems doing so in theory, but is that tax money being distributed equally throughout the county's schools? Or are "better" neighborhoods getting more money for their schools because more tax money is collected? Percentage-wise, how much of my tax money is going for teacher salaries, school maintenance, textbooks, supplies? What about administrative salaries? For some reason, I thought teachers/administration were paid by the state, not the county.

Ours was always there for talking, and usually for talking back. She's 40 years old now and hasn't outgrown that either. Gets it from her dad. pardon.gif Seriously. I'm just her stepmom.

I don't remember if the person who told me that they didn't need my help was a PTA member or a teacher. I think a PTA member but the teachers there were PTA Nazis for a couple of years. One year they actually JOINED PTA FOR ME. All so the kids could have an ice cream party (never mind our daughter, the one who couldn't stop talking, wasn't allowed sweets or anything with an artificial anything, any dye or anything at all that wasn't all natural).

One of my favorite fellow room parents was a dad. He was the biggest help to all of us room mothers. He got all the booths for the fall festival set up in no time at all and then ran his own kid's class booth. We all adored him.

My oldest spent his fair share in the principals office too. But, it was always because of a reaction to something. Well except for this one time.........ummm lets just say he is/was quite the entrepreneur. :lol:

I've had the same issue with the PTA. Now I have a friend that would love to have anyone help, she is the president of her child's PTA. But, I'm referring to teachers.

1) Like I said if you actually give a crap THIS IS NOT FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!

2)Gog8tors: No I don't have kids, I physically can't trucking have them. If I do manage, it will be a god damn fricking miracle. (Thank you for fricking reminding me)

A)You obviously do not know any juvenile probation/parole officers and their case load. (I know several)

B) No she does not have control because all children must be treated equally...aka if someone doesn't have it the teach has to provide it. If not there would be a whole fricking inquisition about why this child was left out (It has been done before).

C) It is all for the children, that is why teachers give a crap. Many parents do not care about what happens to the "precious offspring" they burdened the world with.

D) Again, if the teacher does not provide it, there would be a fricking inquisition about why said child was left out...no child left behind. Ohs noes.

E) Again you obviously do not know any juvenile probation/parole officers and their case load. (I know several)

3) GACAt: Rarely if any classroom has chalkboards now. Most teachers do not care if you get name brand or not. Like I said if they actually give a crap THIS IS NOT FOR YOU!!!!

While you are stating that this is not for the parents that "give a crap." You have made some very broad accusations.

I'm sorry you can't have kids. That's not my fault. Your angry about that, and taking it out on those of us that can/have. There's this thing called adoption, it's a wonderful thing.

As far as B goes, yes, she can still expect discipline in her classroom. Just because a kid has an IEP that does not give them an excuse to misbehave.

C, D bullcheeze.

E, yeah I don't know any one in those professions. However how much lighter would their case loads be if we stopped making excuses, and started demanding responsibility?

• Like 1

I appreciate that, I'll let her know. She has local family support thankfully and her husband still works, so hopefully this is just a one-time burden. :good:

I'm going to ask another clueless, non-parent question. I'm a homeowner, pay property/school taxes. I have no problems doing so in theory, but is that tax money being distributed equally throughout the county's schools? Or are "better" neighborhoods getting more money for their schools because more tax money is collected? Percentage-wise, how much of my tax money is going for teacher salaries, school maintenance, textbooks, supplies? What about administrative salaries? For some reason, I thought teachers/administration were paid by the state, not the county.

You know, I think that the tax money is distributed all through the county. Not sure though. Might be some Kim Cobb can step in to answer.

About the driving your child to school vs. putting them on the bus. I had to leave for work before the bus came. No way was I leaving my daughter to stand on the corner or at the end of the driveway and wait alone for the bus. I wasn't about to leave her at home in grade school either and expect her to leave for the bus stop on time, and remember to lock the door behind her. I drove her to school until she was 12. She was safe & I knew she was ok. I didn't get any calls about missing the bus, got locked out, forgot my key, forgot my lunch money, etc. Parents have to do what's best for their situation even if it makes no sense to others. Sometimes there are reasons that are not apparent to the casual observer. Not all of our circumstances are the same.

• Like 1

While you are stating that this is not for the parents that "give a crap." You have made some very broad accusations.

I'm sorry you can't have kids. That's not my fault. Your angry about that, and taking it out on those of us that can/have. There's this thing called adoption, it's a wonderful thing.

As far as B goes, yes, she can still expect discipline in her classroom. Just because a kid has an IEP that does not give them an excuse to misbehave.

C, D bullcheeze.

E, yeah I don't know any one in those professions. However how much lighter would their case loads be if we stopped making excuses, and started demanding responsibility?

Many is not all. I refuse to proliferate adoption until they change laws (another topic). Those that can/have should not always necessarily do so.

There are many different forms of discipline. I was speaking on parents not children or IEPs. My mother is teacher of the year at her school, for your info,

C,D: I have personally seen it. Have you?

The case load would be my lighter. Good luck on getting parents to to be responsible or kids to be responsible.

Edited by Danaerys

And those are valid reasons for taking your child to school. I am referring to the parents who don't have valid reasons other than they want to sleep late.

About the driving your child to school vs. putting them on the bus. I had to leave for work before the bus came. No way was I leaving my daughter to stand on the corner or at the end of the driveway and wait alone for the bus. I wasn't about to leave her at home in grade school either and expect her to leave for the bus stop on time, and remember to lock the door behind her. I drove her to school until she was 12. She was safe & I knew she was ok. I didn't get any calls about missing the bus, got locked out, forgot my key, forgot my lunch money, etc. Parents have to do what's best for their situation even if it makes no sense to others. Sometimes there are reasons that are not apparent to the casual observer. Not all of our circumstances are the same.

It's just flat out unsafe to leave a child of any age, even a high school senior, alone at the end of a driveway or bus stop. Way too easy for a kid to get snatched up.

Edited by GACat

It's a shame that a child isn't given a home because of the laws surrounding adoption.

I wholeheartedly agree that some who have kids should not. My youngest daughter's brother in law comes to mind. He fathered two kids out of wedlock, the first at age 16 and left Baby Mama #1 to be with Baby Mama #2 and left Baby Mama #2 to be with someone else (while still married to Baby Mama #2). He only married Baby Mama #2 after Baby Mama #2s dad insisted he do so. I think that was when his was 19. Neither mom should have had kids.

No parent is going to be responsible for their child unless they are HELD responsible. As long as there are others to blame....

Many is not all. I refuse to proliferate adoption until they change laws (another topic). Those that can/have should not always necessarily do so.

There are many different forms of discipline. I was speaking on parents not children or IEPs. My mother is teacher of the year at her school, for your info,

The case load would be my lighter. Good luck on getting parents to to be responsible or kids to be responsible.

Oh, yeah your the one having trouble getting info on your biological father. Not a good reason (seeing as there is such a thing as open adoption) to not adopt.

Congratulations to your mom.

C, D: Let the inquisition begin. Teachers need to stand up, and state your kid is a brat. And, I will not tolerate misbehavior in my classroom.

Well until parents are made to be responsible, It will still be a problem. But, it does not nagate that a teacher sets up the behavior that is expected, and stands behind it.

...No parent is going to be responsible for their child unless they are HELD responsible. As long as there are others to blame....

I can't believe that I am allowing myself to get sucked into this but ...

No parent? Really? Surely you just worded that poorly, right?

• Like 1

And those are valid reasons for taking your child to school. I am referring to the parents who don't have valid reasons other than they want to sleep late.

But if you want to charge parents for dropping off their kids instead of putting them on the bus, how do you do that? To weed out the lazy parent, every parent that drops off a kid would have to be questioned by some poor school official and they would have the burden of determining if it was a for a valid reason. Then you'd have to keep a pages and pages long list that would have to be handed out to whomever was on car rider duty at the school each morning.

Or do you just charge everybody and make the responsible parents pay as well as the lazy, "I didn't want to get up" parents because it's too much of a hassle to keep up with? Is that fair?

It's just flat out unsafe to leave a child of any age, even a high school senior, alone at the end of a driveway or bus stop. Way to easy for a kid to get snatched up.

Exactly!

Seriously? Now sharing school supplies with kids whose parents can't afford them is teaching them to be communists? Do you feel this way about birthday treats for class, too? Have your kid just bring in a cake for himself and tell all the other little crumbcatchers to truck off because he's a zeusn capitalist!? Should toddlers be taught not to share their toys so they don't turn into commies?

I appreciate the rest of your point but your last sentence is taking it a little overboard. I don't think that sharing school supplies is akin to opening class with excerpts from Marx each morning.

ETA -- Why does pcom change GD to zeusn? :lol: Can we atleast get something that rhymes like cod-lamb or something?

mrnn

I agree with gadawg, I also feel it is a step towards communism.

But some are ok with stepping in that direction, you and my wife come to mind. :)

(oh, besides pubby, I think I need to make sure you and the wife never get together either)

:)

I always wait until open house to buy school supplies. Many times teachers don't require what is on the list or require something that isn't on the list. I can definitely see how the list posted by the OP could bee too much for some folks. I'm not sure I would have been able to afford all of that when my daughter started school. That said, I always contributed to my daughters teachers throughout the school year. Some can't contribute that much and some simply won't. All of the extras are making up for the cant's and wont's. Personally, I'm ok with it. Whether the parent is not financially able or just lazy, it's not the kids fault.

I always waited till open house also and the list did get somewhat smaller at that time.

I never minded the germ killing things, but I did not like that what I bought for my kid went into the general population.

(but I did not complain, I know, everyone is shocked, so was I)

I would however have been happy to buy two sets of supplies and donate one for some other kid, if they all got to keep their own stuff.

As an old fart, I am most always gonna say, "If it was good enough in my day, it should be good enough for today's kids!"

"Now you dang kids get off my lawn!"

I think for some parents, they choose to drive their kids because it makes the parents more comfortable in knowing where the kids are. For me, it's not an option, I have to drive the princess to school - her school doesn't have buses.

Is it a one room school house with a potbellied stove?

:)

Just kidding, I'm presuming it is a private school.

OMG--I cannot get over the selfishness of some of you parents (or grandparents). It is SCHOOL. It is your child's EDUCATION. So what if you buy some extra supplies. I always bought extra when my kids were in school and I am doing the same with my grandkids. It's not a big deal. Buy it all at the beginning of the year when notebook paper and pencils at 50 cents.

No wonder some folks sit and brag about everything else they have and can do--me and other folks are supplying their kids (and grandkids)their school supplies (and probably a whole lot more). And they say it is the younger generation that has the gimme gimme attitude--I think not.

And yes, I had 2 parents that worked in the school system. Neither were teachers-one was a parapro. But my dad was with Cobb County for almost 30 years and we went thru many budget sessions with him and you really learn alot.