Paulding.com

Parents buying "required" school supplies

A friend of mine who lives in Cobb County posted a list of supplies that her child's public kindergarten is requiring parents to buy. Granted I'm not a parent, but to me this seems pretty ridiculous. And apparently this is required for the parents, not just a pretty-please donations list. Add all this stuff up, especially if brand names are required, and it looks like it can really add up. Notice the sentence near the end of this (I cropped off the specific school's name."

kindertwo.jpg

"Please do not label individual items with your child's name."

Excuse me? So a parent has to buy all this stuff with no guarantee that it will be used for their child only? What about the backpack and lunch box? Do you get that back at the end of the year?

My friend really can't afford all of this crap, she has 2 kids and she got laid off when I did. What happens if a parent genuinely can't afford all of this stuff? Do these schools supply anything besides the desk? Pre-sharpened pencils? Did they ban pencil sharpeners in school now or something?

Sorry, I'm just floored. Gawd, I'm glad my reproductive system was defective and I could only have Cats. I'm too much of a cheapskate to have human kids. :blink:

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It really ticks me off that the stuff that you buy for your own child will be taken from them and given to others. You should be able to buy stuff for your kid and then buy 'generic' stuff (voluntari

First get off your high horse. You don't know our children, and you need to back off the eff off. Your mother chose her profession, she has a choice to do exactly what every other teacher can do. Se

My opinion is that if the teacher needs it to help teach my princess, I will make sure she gets it. But, I don't understand why parents feel like they shouldn't be asked to provide their little angel

Yes, the items the parents send in are for the use of all students, whether or not their parents have contributed.

I actually wrote to the school board back in the early 1980s protesting having to buy school supplies for the classroom or having to pay a supply fee for elementary school. I refused to do either. I told the board that I was paying property taxes on two pieces of property within the county and in my opinion, I was paying enough without having to drop another $25 or so for classroom supplies that my children may or may not use. I can see the paper, pencils, etc but ZIPLOC BAGS, BABY WIPES, DRY ERASE MARKERS AND CLOROX WIPES is not necessary to a child's education. I've seen some supply lists that have paper plates, cups and coffee filters on them. Coffee filters??? unsure.gif Why not designate the boys to bring coffee and the girls to bring creamer?

Not only is there no guarantee that these items will be used by your child (not YOUR child but the parent's child) there IS a guarantee that it most likely will not be used by them. Especially the coffee filters. I'd be willing to bet they go straight to the teachers lounge.

A friend of mine who lives in Cobb County posted a list of supplies that her child's public kindergarten is requiring parents to buy. Granted I'm not a parent, but to me this seems pretty ridiculous. And apparently this is required for the parents, not just a pretty-please donations list. Add all this stuff up, especially if brand names are required, and it looks like it can really add up. Notice the sentence near the end of this (I cropped off the specific school's name."

kindertwo.jpg

"Please do not label individual items with your child's name."

Excuse me? So a parent has to buy all this stuff with no guarantee that it will be used for their child only? What about the backpack and lunch box? Do you get that back at the end of the year?

My friend really can't afford all of this crap, she has 2 kids and she got laid off when I did. What happens if a parent genuinely can't afford all of this stuff? Do these schools supply anything besides the desk? Pre-sharpened pencils? Did they ban pencil sharpeners in school now or something?

Sorry, I'm just floored. Gawd, I'm glad my reproductive system was defective and I could only have Cats. I'm too much of a cheapskate to have human kids. :blink:

Most any teacher will tell you at open house you don't need certain items, we always wait for open house. With that said, I gladly give whatever they ask for just because I know there are others who can't afford to or are just cheap asses... And I see the pre sharpened thing too, 20 kids standing in line to sharpen pencils has to be a time killer. Seems like an easy thing to do at home. :)

(I am very shocked this is the first post on this subject, kinda late in the season already, usually by now we have had thirty threads....) :lol:

• Like 4

Theoretically the extra supplies are for those that can't afford their own. Either that or they really do use 10 glue sticks in a year. The Clorox wipes are for cold/flu season to wipe off desks because parents send kids to school sick. Still trying to figure out the ziplock bags. . .

Theoretically the extra supplies are for those that can't afford their own. Either that or they really do use 10 glue sticks in a year. The Clorox wipes are for cold/flu season to wipe off desks because parents send kids to school sick. Still trying to figure out the ziplock bags. . .

Probably more for projects etc on the bags I would think.. And I can tell you my kids would go through one glue stick a month pretty easily I bet.

I did not understand all the supplies needed for the teacher until I was helping at an elementary school. The Clorox wipes really help keep germs down as the students desks can be wiped down with the wipes to prevent spreading illness. The baby wipes are because a lot of classrooms use small individual dry erase boards during class, one class I helped in had one of these boards for each student. Also, there are a lot of things laminated for reuse everyday and the baby wipes clean these items in a timely fashion. With the sandwich and freezer bags, you'd be surprised at what teachers have to put in those. The first grade class I helped in used these bags for weekly centers. The activities for each center went into its own baggie.

Like I said, I never understood why such items were needed until I saw it first hand.

If it is used in the classroom, it should be provided by the school system. Parents should not have to provide a way for the dry erase board to be cleaned unless they have provided their own child with a dry erase board.

I always felt this was just an attempt to get the parents to provide supplies that in all reality the school system should be supplying.

Besides, alcohol works much better to clean a dry erase board than anything else.

I did not understand all the supplies needed for the teacher until I was helping at an elementary school. The Clorox wipes really help keep germs down as the students desks can be wiped down with the wipes to prevent spreading illness. The baby wipes are because a lot of classrooms use small individual dry erase boards during class, one class I helped in had one of these boards for each student. Also, there are a lot of things laminated for reuse everyday and the baby wipes clean these items in a timely fashion. With the sandwich and freezer bags, you'd be surprised at what teachers have to put in those. The first grade class I helped in used these bags for weekly centers. The activities for each center went into its own baggie.

Like I said, I never understood why such items were needed until I saw it first hand.

• Like 1

If it is used in the classroom, it should be provided by the school system. Parents should not have to provide a way for the dry erase board to be cleaned unless they have provided their own child with a dry erase board.

I always felt this was just an attempt to get the parents to provide supplies that in all reality the school system should be supplying.

Besides, alcohol works much better to clean a dry erase board than anything else.

Should be, but supplies are no longer supplied by the school. It is supplied by the teacher out of their OWN POCKET. They do not get reimbursed for said items either. So they get paid even less.

Edited by Danaerys
  • Like 2

Hard to pay for classroom supplies and still pay paper pushers six figure salaries.

Teachers do get to deduct $250 in supplies on their tax return, whether or not they itemize. I've had non-teachers try to deduct it.

Should be, but supplies are no longer supplied by the school. It is supplied by the teacher out of their OWN POCKET. They do not get reimbursed for said items either. So they get paid even less.

Okay, I can see how certain items are needed, but it's the whole REQUIRED aspect to this as opposed to donations, along with the "do not mark individual items in your child's name." That part just kills me. But name brands? I don't buy them unless they're affordable and legitimately better than generic brands.

My opinion is that if the teacher needs it to help teach my princess, I will make sure she gets it. But, I don't understand why parents feel like they shouldn't be asked to provide their little angels with school supplies. Yes, we pay taxes, but if the schools can't afford books for all of the students, then they certainly can't afford paper, pencils, dry erase markers, wipes, etc.

• Like 7

Why the hell can't they? It's not like they don't get plenty of money.

My opinion is that if the teacher needs it to help teach my princess, I will make sure she gets it. But, I don't understand why parents feel like they shouldn't be asked to provide their little angels with school supplies. Yes, we pay taxes, but if the schools can't afford books for all of the students, then they certainly can't afford paper, pencils, dry erase markers, wipes, etc.

• Like 1

(I am very shocked this is the first post on this subject, kinda late in the season already, usually by now we have had thirty threads....) :lol:

Well I haven't started any trouble all day, so it's my turn. Unless you count how I can't tell Cleveland from Cincinnati. :lol:

Why the hell can't they? It's not like they don't get plenty of money.

Because they are trying to keep up with technology, they are trying to pay teachers enough to keep them, they are paying for building improvements so the kids have safe schools, they have to pay for buses to get kids to and from schools, people to drive the buses, people to cook and serve the lunches, and a zillion other things. So, when my princess's teacher tells me that she needs help with school supplies, I'm okay with it and I will gladly purchase it.

• Like 6

It really ticks me off that the stuff that you buy for your own child will be taken from them and given to others.

You should be able to buy stuff for your kid and then buy 'generic' stuff (voluntarily) that the entire class can use.

I hate how they start indoctrinating kids at this young age that everything should be shared, when that's not the way a non-communist world works.

• Like 9

It really ticks me off that the stuff that you buy for your own child will be taken from them and given to others.

You should be able to buy stuff for your kid and then buy 'generic' stuff (voluntarily) that the entire class can use.

I hate how they start indoctrinating kids at this young age that everything should be shared, when that's not the way a non-communist world works.

I know - I really don't want to teach my child that it's okay if we share are name-brand stuff with other people, it sends the wrong message...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 2

Seriously? Now sharing school supplies with kids whose parents can't afford them is teaching them to be communists? Do you feel this way about birthday treats for class, too? Have your kid just bring in a cake for himself and tell all the other little crumbcatchers to truck off because he's a zeusn capitalist!? Should toddlers be taught not to share their toys so they don't turn into commies?

I appreciate the rest of your point but your last sentence is taking it a little overboard. I don't think that sharing school supplies is akin to opening class with excerpts from Marx each morning.

ETA -- Why does pcom change GD to zeusn? :lol: Can we atleast get something that rhymes like cod-lamb or something?

mrnn

Edited by mrnn
  • Like 2

ETA -- Why does pcom change GD to zeusn? :lol: Can we atleast get something that rhymes like cod-lamb or something?

mrnn

Apparently the Poop Word censors out to "Cheese." So if I say I had a grilled cheese sandwich, y'all might assume I'm eating out of the litter box. :lol:

At least Paulding's list is a lot shorter and less specific.

Well you know that Cobb County's always trying to show us up. :lol:

The pencils are three sided. Much easier for the kids to hold. I still have a package that DS didn't get around to using.

As far as presharpened, well apparently a sharpener is to distracting.

I have mixed feelings on this. I'm going to stop right there.

I will wait (unfortunately) till open house to find out what my kids teachers want for him. I learned this with my oldest, after I bought all the recommended supplies, only for most of them not being needed for his teacher. Also the same teacher had her own list she wanted.

As far as name brand, my kid didn't wear name brand clothes, he sure as hell wasn't bringing in name brand supplies.

If I have any supplies left over from the previous year, I'll give them to someone I know or I might send them in to a specific teacher.

Apparently the Poop Word censors out to "Cheese." So if I say I had a grilled cheese sandwich, y'all might assume I'm eating out of the litter box. :lol:

Well you know that Cobb County's always trying to show us up. :lol:

That's why I live out here :D Enjoy your litter box sandwich :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Reminds me of this:

Edited by Happy Wife And Mom
  • Like 1

Yes, that's what they are teaching the kids.

Seriously? Now sharing school supplies with kids whose parents can't afford them is teaching them to be communists? Do you feel this way about birthday treats for class, too? Have your kid just bring in a cake for himself and tell all the other little crumbcatchers to truck off because he's a zeusn capitalist!? Should toddlers be taught not to share their toys so they don't turn into commies?

I appreciate the rest of your point but your last sentence is taking it a little overboard. I don't think that sharing school supplies is akin to opening class with excerpts from Marx each morning.

mrnn

IMO, if the school system pays that much for buses, mechanics, bus drivers, etc then those new lanes on the street to accommodate all the cars which come to pick up and drop off the kids shouldn't be necessary. Charge a fee to drop off the little princess instead of putting her on a bus. Seems wrong for the taxpayers to foot the bill for the buses AND the turn lane.

Never have figured out how a crystal chandelier, marble floors and artificial turf contribute to a child's quality basic education especially when the percentage of students going into college have to take remedial courses the first year (and which is why now a college education is obtained in five years instead of four). Maybe putting the money for those glitzy things toward teacher salaries and classroom supplies would be a better idea. Call me crazy. wacko.gif I do know that my family members who are or have been teachers and administrators are frustrated by it as well.

Because they are trying to keep up with technology, they are trying to pay teachers enough to keep them, they are paying for building improvements so the kids have safe schools, they have to pay for buses to get kids to and from schools, people to drive the buses, people to cook and serve the lunches, and a zillion other things. So, when my princess's teacher tells me that she needs help with school supplies, I'm okay with it and I will gladly purchase it.

• Like 1

We think alike.

My oldest informed me the first day of middle school that she HAD to have leather Nikes. I told her she didn't. It was NOT required that she have them. She had all that was required (and then some). She would never have had leather Nikes if her biological mom hadn't paid for them. Turned out to be the worst thing she could have worn on her feet, too.

The pencils are three sided. Much easier for the kids to hold. I still have a package that DS didn't get around to using.

As far as presharpened, well apparently a sharpener is to distracting.

I have mixed feelings on this. I'm going to stop right there.

I will wait (unfortunately) till open house to find out what my kids teachers want for him. I learned this with my oldest, after I bought all the recommended supplies, only for most of them not being needed for his teacher. Also the same teacher had her own list she wanted.

As far as name brand, my kid didn't wear name brand clothes, he sure as hell wasn't bringing in name brand supplies.

If I have any supplies left over from the previous year, I'll give them to someone I know or I might send them in to a specific teacher.

I always wait until open house to buy school supplies. Many times teachers don't require what is on the list or require something that isn't on the list. I can definitely see how the list posted by the OP could bee too much for some folks. I'm not sure I would have been able to afford all of that when my daughter started school. That said, I always contributed to my daughters teachers throughout the school year. Some can't contribute that much and some simply won't. All of the extras are making up for the cant's and wont's. Personally, I'm ok with it. Whether the parent is not financially able or just lazy, it's not the kids fault.

IMO, if the school system pays that much for buses, mechanics, bus drivers, etc then those new lanes on the street to accommodate all the cars which come to pick up and drop off the kids shouldn't be necessary. Charge a fee to drop off the little princess instead of putting her on a bus. Seems wrong for the taxpayers to foot the bill for the buses AND the turn lane.

Never have figured out how a crystal chandelier, marble floors and artificial turf contribute to a child's quality basic education especially when the percentage of students going into college have to take remedial courses the first year (and which is why now a college education is obtained in five years instead of four). Maybe putting the money for those glitzy things toward teacher salaries and classroom supplies would be a better idea. Call me crazy. wacko.gif I do know that my family members who are or have been teachers and administrators are frustrated by it as well.

Seriously, can you imagine the uproar on here if Paulding said that they were going to start charging families for either the buses or driving the kids to school. :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I buy just enough supplies for my kids to start school bc I can't afford everything that's on the list. When my kids run out I buy more if I have the money

What if you don't have the money? Who provides the school supplies? I'm curious about this because even when I was in school, parents were responsible for purchasing school supplies for their kids and if we showed up for class without them, we had better have them borrowed before the teacher noticed.

I always wait until open house to buy school supplies. Many times teachers don't require what is on the list or require something that isn't on the list. I can definitely see how the list posted by the OP could bee too much for some folks. I'm not sure I would have been able to afford all of that when my daughter started school. That said, I always contributed to my daughters teachers throughout the school year. Some can't contribute that much and some simply won't. All of the extras are making up for the cant's and wont's. Personally, I'm ok with it. Whether the parent is not financially able or just lazy, it's not the kids fault.

I haven't been inside a classroom in decades, nor had kids, so I will plead guilty to being clueless here on some stuff. :lol:

I think it is the part that a parent is not allowed to designate at least a portion of the supplies for their own child, with the remainder going to the general supply to help out kids who are themselves on the public assistance roll that bugs me. I also agree, that is not a child's fault, ever. I think my friend (and I) would have less of a problem with this if it were a matter of okay, your kid will need an estimated X-# of disinfectant wipes (any brand, NOT requiring name brand) and you may designate said supplies for your own child's personal use. If your child uses up his own supplies too early in the year, then it is your responsibility to purchase more. Not just use up the general supply other parents have paid for. Then ask for donations for the other children whose parents are unable to provide.

My fingers have grammar & geography issues today, sorry.

Edited by GACat
  • Like 1

Yeah, they would probably have to add buses. pardon.gif

In a lot of places the kids families DO have to pay for the privilege of riding the bus. And other places don't have buses at all. I just never got why anyone would drive their kid to school when the bus stops outside their house. Yeah, I understand that a lot of times it doesn't stop "right outside the house" but still why not drive the 1/10 mile to the bus stop instead of the 5 miles each way twice a day to the school. My kids went to the bus stop. The only time I ever took them to school was if the bus didn't come (and there were those times but they were few and far between). Naturally, if they had a doctor's appointment I would drop them off but routinely they rode the bus.

Can you imagine a START time for school being 7:15 a.m.? Not the time the bus picks up the student but the time of day school starts?

Seriously, can you imagine the uproar on here if Paulding said that they were going to start charging families for either the buses or driving the kids to school. :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

In a lot of places the kids families DO have to pay for the privilege of riding the bus. And other places don't have buses at all. I just never got why anyone would drive their kid to school when the bus stops outside their house. Yeah, I understand that a lot of times it doesn't stop "right outside the house" but still why not drive the 1/10 mile to the bus stop instead of the 5 miles each way twice a day to the school. My kids went to the bus stop. The only time I ever took them to school was if the bus didn't come (and there were those times but they were few and far between). Naturally, if they had a doctor's appointment I would drop them off but routinely they rode the bus.

I think for some parents, they choose to drive their kids because it makes the parents more comfortable in knowing where the kids are. For me, it's not an option, I have to drive the princess to school - her school doesn't have buses.

Can you imagine a START time for school being 7:15 a.m.? Not the time the bus picks up the student but the time of day school starts?

Three reasons -

1. my kids don't go to school that the bus that stops in front of the house takes them to.

2. when my youngest did go to his districted school, someone wore perfume that he was highly allergic to on a regular basis. The gas was way, way cheaper than the drugs and the doctors appointments.

3. when they were in elementary school - the bus came at 6:50 for a 8am start time. We could leave the house at 7:45 and be there one time.

In that situation, driving them to school is what you gotta do. But when the bus literally stops in front of your house and you still drive them to school just doesn't make sense.

I think for some parents, they choose to drive their kids because it makes the parents more comfortable in knowing where the kids are. For me, it's not an option, I have to drive the princess to school - her school doesn't have buses.

These are valid reasons for taking them. I'm talking about the parents who just drive their kids to school in spite of the bus (that goes to the school the kid does) stopping in front of the house.

I know about that allergy thing. Someone on my bus wore "Ambush" one day. To say I'm allergic to it would be an understatement. But for my parents to have driven me to school was not acceptable either. Also, not possible as my dad had to be at work at 6 a.m. and my mom worked 3-11 so my sister and I had to get ourselves up and ready for school. We had no choice but to ride the bus.

My kids bus generally came around 7:05 for an 8:00 start time. They were always the first to get on and the last to get off the bus.

Three reasons -

1. my kids don't go to school that the bus that stops in front of the house takes them to.

2. when my youngest did go to his districted school, someone wore perfume that he was highly allergic to on a regular basis. The gas was way, way cheaper than the drugs and the doctors appointments.

3. when they were in elementary school - the bus came at 6:50 for a 8am start time. We could leave the house at 7:45 and be there one time.

I'm sorry, I'm not picking on you, just want to understand. Is your child in public or private school?

I haven't been inside a classroom in decades, nor had kids, so I will plead guilty to being clueless here on some stuff. :lol:

I think it is the part that a parent is not allowed to designate at least a portion of the supplies for their own child, with the remainder going to the general supply to help out kids who are themselves on the public assistance roll that bugs me. I also agree, that is not a child's fault, ever. I think my friend (and I) would have less of a problem with this if it were a matter of okay, your kid will need an estimated X-# of disinfectant wipes (any brand, NOT requiring name brand) and you may designate said supplies for your own child's personal use. If your child uses up his own supplies too early in the year, then it is your responsibility to purchase more. Not just use up the general supply other parents have paid for. Then ask for donations for the other children whose parents are unable to provide.

My fingers have grammar & geography issues today, sorry.

I get it. I kind of felt the same way at first. But I've had a kid in school for 12 years now and I'm used to "sharing". I've never seen a list like the one you posted though. Honestly, I'm willing to bet teachers aren't that concerned with brand names. Considering how little help they actually get from parents these days. I'm assuming they will welcome any help they can get.

DS hates artificial turf.

FYI folks (Not directed at you S&DN) your tax dollars do not pay for the athletics. Now, I can't say that for the counties that do have the artificial turf. Although I do understand it to be easier to care for therefore saving money in the long run. :pardon:

Edited by gog8tors

I can guarantee you my mother spends far more than 250 bucks to educate your precious obnoxious little angels, and she doesn't require parents to turn in germ-x or any of that other stuff. She puts that on her dollar which is eating away at her retirement savings and she is 64. Thank god for parents that think everyone owes them absolutely every frigging little thing. If you are going to bring a child into the world BE PREPARED TO FRICKING PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are not, do the rest of us a fricking favor and don't have a damn kid.

BTW, why do I have to fricking pay school taxes when I have no kids?

• Like 2

I'm sorry, I'm not picking on you, just want to understand. Is your child in public or private school?

No worries - she's in private school. We made that decision when our area of Paulding was re-zoned.

I can guarantee you my mother spends far more than 250 bucks to educate your precious obnoxious little angels, and she doesn't require parents to turn in germ-x or any of that other stuff. She puts that on her dollar which is eating away at her retirement savings and she is 64. Thank god for parents that think everyone owes them absolutely every frigging little thing. If you are going to bring a child into the world BE PREPARED TO FRICKING PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are not, do the rest of us a fricking favor and don't have a damn kid.

BTW, why do I have to fricking pay school taxes when I have no kids?

First get off your high horse. You don't know our children, and you need to back off the eff off.

Your mother chose her profession, she has a choice to do exactly what every other teacher can do. Send home a if we don't get enough ________________ then we can't do _______________. How many notes are sent home from the 5th grade teachers that if they don't collect X then they can't go on the end of the year field trip.

Personally I think once the kids get past elementary school the the teacher should start charging the kid for the supplies. I also think that when the kid is in elementary school that the parents who didn't send in supplies get charged for them, or they can't get the last report card. But, that is my personal responsibility personality. I agree that there may be a FEW that can't afford supplies, but I don't think that there are as many as the schools would have you think.

Oh, and aren't you the professional student?

Edited by gog8tors
  • Like 7