Paulding.com

fridge keeps freezing things

My fridge keeps freezing things. Lettuce, onions, salsa, eggs, you name it. Everything but milk which it seems to let sour. Even the salad dressing in the door froze!! But not the milk. blink.gif

I have adjusted the temperature to where it's not as cold and have stopped putting the more delicate things in the back. And it's STILL freezing things. A whole head of lettuce was frozen this evening as was a jar of salsa. Eggs were solid as rocks last week.

Any ideas of what to do? I can't adjust it any higher because then it won't keep things cold. I'm out of ideas.

Check the inside vents to make sure they are open and clear around them.

If the airflow gets blocked, it can cause the refrigerator to freeze up.

Outside of that, you might have a bad thermostat.

Edited by NITR0

Maybe I could put the milk in the freezer, too. good.gif

Turn the freezer temp way up and put your ice cream in the fridge

Vents are clear. I'll call the guy I bought it from and ask about the thermostat. I feel quite sure he put a new one in right before I bought it (I bought it used).

The frustrating thing is the milk sours but the eggs and lettuce freeze. wacko.gif

Check the inside vents to make sure they are open and clear around them.

If the airflow gets blocked, it can cause the refrigerator to freeze up.

Outside of that, you might have a bad thermostat.

If the vents are clear, the fan may not be running... that will also cause a 'fridge to freeze up.

The door seals not sealing correctly or the door not closing all the way can cause one to freeze over.

Those are the easy cheap things to check...

If none of those seem to be the problem, it could likely be the thermostat.

There is also a controller that tells the fan motors to kick on and off, which if bad, can cause one to run too much,

freezing up the stuff stored inside. Those don't go bad too often, but they aren't exempt from going bad.

Edited by NITR0

If the vents are clear, the fan may not be running... that will also cause a 'fridge to freeze up.

The door seals not sealing correctly or the door not closing all the way can cause one to freeze over.

Those are the easy cheap things to check...

If none of those seem to be the problem, it could likely be the thermostat.

There is also a controller that tells the fan motors to kick on and off, which if bad, can cause one to run too much,

freezing up the stuff stored inside. Those don't go bad too often, but they aren't exempt from going bad.

that would be my guess, the fan that blows freezer air into the refrig is not working / blocked duct

But the freezer works fine. No problems with it.

The fan controls the amount of cold freezer air coming into the refrigerator if yours has separate thermostats for the freezer and the refrig. The thermostats are dependent on the airflow to properly sense the temp in the refrig, so if the duct exit is blocked by food, etc or if the fan is dead, then the temp could be way off. Is your freezer on top, on the side or on the bottom of the unit?

Since your refrig is too cold, i would guess you have a top freezer?

No separate thermostat. One works both freezer and fridge. Airflow is fine. I've checked that. Fan works. Top freezer. Actually, it's not that old. About 3 years, maybe. Just picked it up used when we moved instead of bringing the one from the other house. It seems that most things that freeze are on the top shelf. Strangely enough, liquids usually don't freeze. It's just things like lettuce and eggs. Salsa got slushy but the soy sauce was fine and it was sitting next to the salsa. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason behind what does and what does not freeze.

The fan controls the amount of cold freezer air coming into the refrigerator if yours has separate thermostats for the freezer and the refrig. The thermostats are dependent on the airflow to properly sense the temp in the refrig, so if the duct exit is blocked by food, etc or if the fan is dead, then the temp could be way off. Is your freezer on top, on the side or on the bottom of the unit?

Since your refrig is too cold, i would guess you have a top freezer?