Paulding.com

Spin off of panhandling thread...

There is a very young wife who stands near her husband who is wheelchair bound and holds up signs asking for donations. The first time I saw her was as Food Depot and 61.

I know her name, I know his. First names, not last. I stopped to read the sign one day and they are younger then me. (I found out later he is 28 years old) The husband has had 3 strokes since March 21, 2013. He did not have insurance and was the sole income for his family. The day I stopped to talk with her, she hit me hard in my heart...NOT LITERALLY. It was the desperation in her eyes, the tears in her voice. I did donate that day, even though I was feeling very cynical and very grouchy from having a very bad day. As I watched her and her husband, as I watched the pain in her face, I knew it was legit. I went home and posted about her on FB, talked about her with some friends, put her on prayer lists, but I can't shake that face, the look in her eyes. They are SUFFERING.

A week later, at the gas station at Hiram Suide and 92, there was a collection jar and a paragraph telling their story. I asked the employee if they knew her, they did not, but a man in line behind me did. He was the paramedic who picked the husband up after the first and last strokes. He confirmed this is legit, that they're a desperate family. I've been donating to that jar almost daily since. I went in on Thursday and the jar was gone, no one knew if they would be bringing it back or not. My husband saw them later that night at Food Depot and donated then. We haven't told her how much she's touched us, that we think of them every single day, that we're racking our brains to come up with some sort of viable fundraiser to help these people.

So, any ideas? Anyone know them? Anyone want to help me find a way to spread a little hope to some people who desperately need it?

Thanks in advance.

They should come to Helping Hands. Please pass this info on to this family. I will try to look for them in the future. We pass by there every Tuesday & Wednesday

Did anyone see the pregnant young lady in Hiram, behind one of those shopping strips that are up front, in front of Kohls and Target area, last Wednesday afternoon??? Her sign said something like pregnant with 2 or 3 children, need to feed them, so on and so on????? I gave her Helping Hands name and number. I wasn't sure if she spoke good english or not but, I told her to go to Helping Hands for free food. I just hope she went.

They should come to Helping Hands. Please pass this info on to this family. I will try to look for them in the future. We pass by there every Tuesday & Wednesday

Did anyone see the pregnant young lady in Hiram, behind one of those shopping strips that are up front, in front of Kohls and Target area, last Wednesday afternoon??? Her sign said something like pregnant with 2 or 3 children, need to feed them, so on and so on????? I gave her Helping Hands name and number. I wasn't sure if she spoke good english or not but, I told her to go to Helping Hands for free food. I just hope she went.

Yes, I saw her, I just don't recall the day. Hopefully, if she is really in need, she did find her way Helping Hands or somewhere that can give her some assistance. Still, I can't just give a handout to someone not knowing if they are legit or not.

I now have a phone number for the wife. I plan on calling her, just not sure what to say. I'll tell her about your suggestions about seeking help at churches (which didn't help me when I was in need) and Helping Hands (which did).

I don't have a lot of money to spare, which is why I donated to the jar. But I figured I could offer to help with any house work or errands, if they have children and she grows to trust me (and my kids), maybe I can help her with that while she's taking care of the medical needs for her husband.

I don't know, I can't explain. She touched my heart in such a way that I think of her every single day.

Contact Warehouse of Hope in Douglasville. Good people there.

Still, I can't just give a handout to someone not knowing if they are legit or not.

And this^^ attitude is why leaving the needy to rely on the charity of others will not work in this country. Who wants to have to substantiate or verify that they are at a low point in their life and struggling in addition to the mental stress they already endure in return for a dollar or two from someone who has it to spare?

• Like 3

And this^^ attitude is why leaving the needy to rely on the charity of others will not work in this country. Who wants to have to substantiate or verify that they are at a low point in their life and struggling in addition to the mental stress they already endure in return for a dollar or two from someone who has it to spare?

Not only that but it is incredibly expensive to sustain a single person or small family. It would mean an offering taken up every Sunday for an open ended time frame. Without medical insurance it is doubtful that any congregation could help with medical care.

My husband and I realized as our parents became elderly that their medical needs would have bankrupted us in a matter of months.

I hope we can find help for this couple that has fallen through the cracks. I am sure that he is deserving of disability and the medical care that comes with it, more important than the small stipend from SS. Unfortunately lawyers have made a profitable racket of out of disability making it almost impossible for those that it was created to assist.

Unfortunately there are scammers out there, not our fault o r their fault. We have to be cautious, it is what it is.

• Like 1

Oh good grief - you realize we are talking about someone on the street begging for spare change, right?

Even those who take what little they get and buy a pint of liquor instead of an artery-clogging hamburger or pack of peanut butter crackers aren't scamming. They're doing what they have to in order to get by...not everybody needs the same things.

If you had to sleep on the ground in the same clothes you wore yesterday & the day before, you'd probably rather have booze for instead of in addition to dinner, too.

How pro-life can someone be who cites "scammers' as a reason to withhold the cost of a cup of coffee or soda when confronted by someone in need?

• Like 2

Oh good grief - you realize we are talking about someone on the street begging for spare change, right?

Even those who take what little they get and buy a pint of liquor instead of an artery-clogging hamburger or pack of peanut butter crackers aren't scamming. They're doing what they have to in order to get by...not everybody needs the same things.

If you had to sleep on the ground in the same clothes you wore yesterday & the day before, you'd probably rather have booze for instead of in addition to dinner, too.

How pro-life can someone be who cites "scammers' as a reason to withhold the cost of a cup of coffee or soda when confronted by someone in need?

If this was true, all of us should be begging for change on the corner. There are people who truly are in need and there are those that need things they want. Need and want are 2 different things. You do not need booze. You need food. You do not need Starbucks. You want it and to ask people for your want is just wrong. In the last thread (that this was spun off from), someone witnessed this very thing. Someone begging to be in need but they really just wanted a coffee and were seen buying one with the change they just begged for. I want a top notch education to Yale for my kids. Instead, they need clothing and love and will get it. That is the difference and why so many people hesitate to give to those that beg.

• Like 3

I have seen this same girl at Target in Acworth and DSW in Kennesaw. She gets around quite well apparently.

Edited by justgettingby

You mean like Welfare?

If you are asking me for something - to give up something of mine - then yes - there needs to be a certain amount of trust. This is part of the problem in this country. No one thinks they need to substantiate walking up to their neighbor and asking them for money. Every welfare check, every medicaid payment, every disability check, etc. is walking up to your neighbor and asking them for money. Most folks would never ask their neighbor to help pay for their medical bills or their food or whatever, but they have no problem asking the federal government to do it. And, it's the same thing - the federal government takes that money with the threat of a gun.

So, yes, I do feel like we can ask those questions.

I now have a phone number for the wife. I plan on calling her, just not sure what to say. I'll tell her about your suggestions about seeking help at churches (which didn't help me when I was in need) and Helping Hands (which did).

I don't have a lot of money to spare, which is why I donated to the jar. But I figured I could offer to help with any house work or errands, if they have children and she grows to trust me (and my kids), maybe I can help her with that while she's taking care of the medical needs for her husband.

I don't know, I can't explain. She touched my heart in such a way that I think of her every single day.

you.are.amazing. :wub:

If you are asking me for something - to give up something of mine - then yes - there needs to be a certain amount of trust. This is part of the problem in this country. No one thinks they need to substantiate walking up to their neighbor and asking them for money. Every welfare check, every medicaid payment, every disability check, etc. is walking up to your neighbor and asking them for money. Most folks would never ask their neighbor to help pay for their medical bills or their food or whatever, but they have no problem asking the federal government to do it. And, it's the same thing - the federal government takes that money with the threat of a gun.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I agree with you. At the same time I have to wonder if all this government assistance is available, why is she begging on the street? Scam? Ignorance?

I agree with you. At the same time I have to wonder if all this government assistance is available, why is she begging on the street? Scam? Ignorance?

I have a question about government assistance. I have no problem with people getting TEMPORARY assistance when needed and a lot of the time it is really needed. But of course you have those who work and manipulate the system to get something for nothing just because they can and don't want to better themselves because it's easier to cash a check that someone just gives you.

This is my question.......I know 2 different people, both with 4 year college degrees, that purposely CHOSE jobs making less than $14,000.00 a year, when other much more lucrative jobs were offered, just to go to work for a non-profit that supposedly helps people to get out from under the thumb of welfare. But in doing so, they themselves are taking food stamps to make ends meet. These people had a choice of making $50,000-$60,000 a year and being self sufficient, but chose not to be. Is this OK? It doesn't fly with me, sorry.

They have the ability AND opportunity to NOT be on the govt role and opt to be. I don't get it, their educations cost upwards of $100,000 each and to take a super low paying job makes no sense to me, especially when you then stick your hand out to the govt for help.

And once again, I have no problem with these programs if people really need them and have no choice. These people had a choice IMO.

Love this! And agree with momof3!

I also would pay someone who is begging and in need to come work around my house for a day to make some money. I do not believe in money for nothing. It is a sad thing that this cannot be done like in years past. Too many issues to face. If they get hurt, they will surely sue. Cannot pay someone to work and not "employ" them and take taxes. Cannot trust people to work unsupervised. Etc....

Actually you are being quite naive. Do some research on panhandling and then get back to me. Here is a good start.

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/21088705/investigation-the-panhandler-scam

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/23/shane-warren-speegle-says_n_1694577.html

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130311/OPINION/303110057/Shabazz-Panhandlers-running-scam

http://www.kivitv.com/news/local/161172875.html

Edited by DiehardKy

There was a news show (20/20?) about this a few years ago. The panhandlers were pulling in about $1000 a week (no taxes paid of course)from a busy street intersection. When questioned - one of the guys (it was a two person team) said that they could make more money standing around asking for money than working at an actual job.

From what I've been told, Most all of the Churches are now, referring all of their callers to go to Helping Hands because the churches give everything they collect (food and money) to helping hands. St Vincent DePaul still helps with funds and some food but, the majority of the churches in Paulding don't help, anymore. The needs of this county is growing and the churches just can't keep up.

There was a news show (20/20?) about this a few years ago. The panhandlers were pulling in about $1000 a week (no taxes paid of course)from a busy street intersection. When questioned - one of the guys (it was a two person team) said that they could make more money standing around asking for money than working at an actual job.

Yep, notice I didnt get a reply from the low information voter?