Paulding.com

Sheriff called to unlock car?

Is it really the duty of our Sheriff's Department to unlock a car with the keys locked in while it is parked in the owner's driveway? No one was in danger or inside the car. Is this really what my tax dollars are going to support? I think they should bill this service! If I lock myself out of my house, can I call them? If I forget where I put my number 7 knitting needles, should I call 911 to come find them?

So, the officer was in the driveway....Who cares, they were helping someone. Why are you finding fault with someone doing a nice gesture? What gives? You know, they do nice things all the time, they aren't bad people!

• Like 5

Well sheeze, I should have just called the Sheriff's Department instead of AAA. Then again, I'd rather my tax dollars go to fighting crime than fighting idiocy.

That is my exact thought. I agree with public service. I do it. But there is a difference between public service and doing things that there should be a charge for. Going to schools and talking with kids = public service. Being at Touch-A-Truck (along with me) = public service. Directing traffic out of churches = public service. Unlocking a guys car in his own driveway is not a public service if you ask me!

• Like 1

That is my exact thought. I agree with public service. I do it. But there is a difference between public service and doing things that there should be a charge for. Going to schools and talking with kids = public service. Being at Touch-A-Truck (along with me) = public service. Directing traffic out of churches = public service. Unlocking a guys car in his own driveway is not a public service if you ask me!

I go to a large church in Cobb County and we pay for law enforcement to direct traffic in and out. Not sure about this county.

Is it really the duty of our Sheriff's Department to unlock a car with the keys locked in while it is parked in the owner's driveway? No one was in danger or inside the car. Is this really what my tax dollars are going to support? I think they should bill this service! If I lock myself out of my house, can I call them? If I forget where I put my number 7 knitting needles, should I call 911 to come find them?

You're whiny.

• Like 8

Roadside Assistance is on a lot of Automobile Insurance Polocies. It might be a good idea to check with your Insurance Co. I know when my cars transmission went out, I called my Insuracne company and I had Roadside Assistance. They towed my car back to the dealer, which was close to closing time, they waited on us and the tow truck to get there before they closed.

Being at Touch-A-Truck (along with me) = public service.

And just how is this a public service?

Because YOU enjoy it? That's what makes it ok.

This is EXACLY what you stated about someone using them as a locksmith.

"Your tax dollars" that have the fire trucks, fire fighters, police cars, and police officers not being available... blah blah blah...

You can't have it both ways. You get your jollies by them being at a touch a truck is NOT a public service.

"Lockouts" are the lowest priority call they take. If the officer is not busy on a call and has the minute and a half that it takes to assist

someone with their locked vehicle... so what?

I'll tell you what... I'll pay you back for your portion of the tax bill that is responsible for the time he spent doing that...

It probably comes out to about $0.0000001

Edited by NITR0
  • Like 6

I do not see a problem with it. They are only dispatched to help it there is nothing to do in their zone. They prob don't mind going somewhere with no drama!

• Like 1

Yesterday at the end of the Downtown Dallas Yard Sale a lady locked her keys in her car with it running. She asked the City Policeman standing near us if he could help her get in her car. He told he the City couldn't do it anymore because of the liability but the County could. He called a friend of his that works for the County and he came to open her car. Of course the car was sitting in the middle of Main Street and they were going to soon open the street back up.

• Like 1

Their duty is to protect AND SERVE.

IF there is nothing else going on I would rather them help someone out rather than just sitting around twiddling their thumbs or driving around aimlessly wasting gas.

They get paid the SAME amount no matter what they are doing.

This act of service did not cost us tax-payers one penny.

• Like 10

"Your tax dollars" that have the fire trucks, fire fighters, police cars, and police officers not being available... blah blah blah...

You can't have it both ways. You get your jollies by them being at a touch a truck is NOT a public service.

"Lockouts" are the lowest priority call they take. If the officer is not busy on a call and has the minute and a half that it takes to assist

I'll tell you what... I'll pay you back for your portion of the tax bill that is responsible for the time he spent doing that...

You're just rude. I agree with you but you're just rude in how you say it.

It is a public service because I do it on my own time as do many of the officers that are there. That is public service. I also did two career events at schools this year that actually COST me money because I had to pay someone to watch my children.

The county is tapped. Maybe they should charge for serving people for such idiotic things. Too many people just expect things and it is never questioned. I am questioning!

• Like 1

IF there is nothing else going on I would rather them help someone out rather than just sitting around twiddling their thumbs or driving around aimlessly wasting gas.

Cheap public relations.

• Like 2

So, guessing that the OP KNOWS that the police officer was called to come out, and unlock the door.

There is no way that the officer could've been driving by, and seen a CITIZEN in distress b/c of the locked car.

The neighbor who witnessed the whole thing (keep in mind that the OP is a third party in this) asked the officer what s/he was doing. I'm sure the neighbor also offered to help.

I'm thinking that the neighbor also knows that the officer is not a relative/friend of the citizen.

Just sayin.

It also makes for good PR......JMHO

I say thank you to the deputy that tried and tried to unlock my jeep. Then he was called to pick up a shoplifter at Wally World. He said he would be back to help me and he did. He never made it into the jeep, but, not for the lack of trying. This man was the nicest cop I have ever met.

So thank you PCSO deputy who tried to unlock my vehicle.

From the stranded woman at Sams.

• Like 1

I am against LE helping someone get their keys out of a locked car.

That is unless that someone is me, then it is their duty.

Did I cover both sides?

:)

You nailed it.

And they should direct traffic in front of your church but not another church.

Cheap public relations.

I have no association with the department at all.

However, thank you for the compliment.

I may just print this off and attach it as an endorsement to a resume.

There may be a new job in my future. :blush:

It is a public service because I do it on my own time as do many of the officers that are there. That is public service.

Sorry, but the officers that are there do NOT do it on their own time.

They are either getting paid over time or comp time, either way, it comes out of the tax payers pocket.

And even if they were doing it on their own time, they are still using county resources to be there. (IE: Vehicles, gas, wear and tear, etc...).

Now, I bet you're going to tell me that the cost for doing that is negligible, right?

Well, that's my whole point. You're complaining about an officer spending a minute and a half to unlock a car for someone

but you don't complain when their 'service' benefits YOU.

The county is tapped. Maybe they should charge for serving people for such idiotic things. Too many people just expect things and it is never questioned. I am questioning!

You mean like having a movie night at the parks that is free to the county residents that cost thousands of dollars to put on?

Nobody wants to see waste in government, but really... there's a hell of a lot more things going on

worth complaining about than an officer opening someones car for them....

You're just rude. I agree with you but you're just rude in how you say it.

Whaaa....

And one other thing... the "It's their duty to protect and SERVE" comments.

#1. That is a MOTTO of some police departments.

#2. A Deputy is from the Sheriff's department. That is NOT the Sheriff's department motto.

Edited by NITR0

I have locked my keys in my car a handful of times in my life. I never once thought to call the cops for help. It never occurred to me, even if it had, I would think to myself they probably have more important things to

It's part of their job to help the community. I don't know why people are so surprised. Do firemen not get kittens out of trees? :)

We don't have to worry about this issue, I have OnStar on my vehicle and hubby has the touchpad on his vehicle. When I was cleaning apartments, many, many moons ago, I locked my keys in my car on a regular basis. I had to get spare keys made and kept one in my cleaning basket, one in the dash (no one knew it was there but, me) This way, if I locked the keys in the trunk (back in the OLD days, hehe) I was still able to get it open, again. This was when you have to have a key for the ignition AND a key for the trunk.

I guess what really bothers me is it was in his driveway. He was not stranded. He was at home!! I have 2 sets of keys to every car we own. One set is always on the key rack unless we are on a long road trip. Then, I tuck the spare set in my purse, just in case. Always take my purse into a rest stop or gas stop when traveling.