Paulding.com

Here is a friendly reminder. Every summer we have children in the library that are dropped off and closing time comes and the parents are not there to get their child. This has happened 2 times already this year at New Georgia Library. It is against policy for the library staff to take your child home or for the staff to baby-sit until the parent come. If a child is left and the parents can not be reached by phone the policy is to call the Paulding County Sheriff's Dept. They can either sit with the child until you come or they take them home. So as a friendly reminder: please remember to come get your child at the library at closing time. Thanks!

Edited by librarygirl
  • Like 4

I'm sorry, but that is just PATHETIC. I can say with confidence that I would never forget one of my nephews, because I never leave them somewhere that I am not! I had my doubts about letting 16yo nephew and his friend walk around the aquarium without us, although I did do it...we did text a few times, though. He's a third-degree black belt in karate, so I wasn't as paranoid as I generally am, and we were in the same building. :blush:

Call me crazy, but when I have priceless treasures to look after, I do NOT go off and leave them.

• Like 5

Leaving a child at the Library, should NOT be an option!!! The rule should be all children must be accompanied by an adult, NO EXCEPTIONS!!! I'd be calling the Dept. Of Family & Children Services. This is kind of a no brainer. The Library staff are not BAYSITTERS!!

• Like 6

I'm sorry, but that is just PATHETIC. I can say with confidence that I would never forget one of my nephews, because I never leave them somewhere that I am not! I had my doubts about letting 16yo nephew and his friend walk around the aquarium without us, although I did do it...we did text a few times, though. He's a third-degree black belt in karate, so I wasn't as paranoid as I generally am, and we were in the same building. :blush:

Call me crazy, but when I have priceless treasures to look after, I do NOT go off and leave them.

really? He is 16 and you had doubts about it? Really? Is that because he is 16? Would you have felt the same way if he were 31? Just wondering. Is he unusually tiny? Or mute?

• Like 1

Leaving a child at the Library, should NOT be an option!!! The rule should be all children must be accompanied by an adult, NO EXCEPTIONS!!! I'd be calling the Dept. Of Family & Children Services. This is kind of a no brainer. The Library staff are not BAYSITTERS!!

Agreed.

really? He is 16 and you had doubts about it? Really? Is that because he is 16? Would you have felt the same way if he were 31? Just wondering. Is he unusually tiny? Or mute?

I would have the same concerns. That was just rude.

Wonder if the Library started charging for watching unaccompanied minors, how many would be left there?

I would have the same concerns. That was just rude.

Not really meant to be rude. Just expressing my surprise at the reluctance to allow a 16 year old to look around an aquarium with a friend. It is perfectly natural to wonder if there were extenuating circumstances to such reasoning. And the thread was about leaving one's child at the library. The implication was that she would be reluctant to leave a 16 year old. Furthermore, there was a malignant inference that parents who do leave their children at the library are lacking in judgement. In fact, if you're children are well-behaved and use good judgement, there is no reason why they can't be left alone at the library. Of course, you must pick them up on time. The librarians are not babysitters.

Naturally, of course, some children due to age or maturity can't be expected to use good judgement, so of course, you wouldn't drop him off and leave him.

Not really meant to be rude. Just expressing my surprise at the reluctance to allow a 16 year old to look around an aquarium with a friend. It is perfectly natural to wonder if there were extenuating circumstances to such reasoning. And the thread was about leaving one's child at the library. The implication was that she would be reluctant to leave a 16 year old. Furthermore, there was a malignant inference that parents who do leave their children at the library are lacking in judgement. In fact, if you're children are well-behaved and use good judgement, there is no reason why they can't be left alone at the library. Of course, you must pick them up on time. The librarians are not babysitters.

Naturally, of course, some children due to age or maturity can't be expected to use good judgement, so of course, you wouldn't drop him off and leave him.

Well if you had read her post she stated that the young man is her nephew. I can understand the reluctance to let him out of her site. He is not her child, but she has been entrusted with him. Therefore, a certain amount of hyper- vigilance is expected. When I have been entrusted with my nieces/nephews no matter their age, I too am hyper-vigilante.

My kids are 17, 13 and 12. I would not even consider leaving my 12 and 13 year olds alone anywhere except home for a bit. That's just me though. Mainly because I have trust issues with people I do not know. I would be worried someone would come in and take one of them or something like that.

At a library, I would not expect the liberian to babysit or watch my kids for 2 minutes. That's not their job.

Oh, and my 17 year old does not leave the house without his cell.

• Like 2

At one time, at Rome Middle School, if you did not pick up your child by a certain time the police was notified and the parents was charged with child neglect. It could have been the second instance of it but it was handled by the Rome Police Dept. and not the school.

DITTO, DITTO, DITTO to every word.........we really are the same person!!!!! :D

Are unusually rude? Or just stupid? Just wondering.

Using the Library as a babysitter?? Absurd!! They deserve the police to be called... why would people think that that would be ok??? I am wondering what the ages of the children left were, although there is no excuse!

I would never drop my 15 year old daughter off at the library. But I can see why people might. Perhaps the kid has schoolwork to do and there is no computer at home. Maybe mom has one or two other kids who need a ride to football practice and can't hang at the library while her kid does school work. There is never a good excuse to leave your kid at the library and not pick him up, but I can see why some parents leave their kids there to begin with. And I'm thinking older teenager when I say that, not little kids.

I would never drop my 15 year old daughter off at the library. But I can see why people might. Perhaps the kid has schoolwork to do and there is no computer at home. Maybe mom has one or two other kids who need a ride to football practice and can't hang at the library while her kid does school work. There is never a good excuse to leave your kid at the library and not pick him up, but I can see why some parents leave their kids there to begin with. And I'm thinking older teenager when I say that, not little kids.

This. When I was in school my Mom did drop me off at the library, but it was always to work on a paper and it was never for long. It was usually when she had to take my brother to Karate, but that was just across the street. Obviously this was before everyone had computers at home. And I was in 8th/9th grade.

No way should people drop their kids off as a babysitting tool.

Not really meant to be rude. Just expressing my surprise at the reluctance to allow a 16 year old to look around an aquarium with a friend. It is perfectly natural to wonder if there were extenuating circumstances to such reasoning. And the thread was about leaving one's child at the library. The implication was that she would be reluctant to leave a 16 year old. Furthermore, there was a malignant inference that parents who do leave their children at the library are lacking in judgement. In fact, if you're children are well-behaved and use good judgement, there is no reason why they can't be left alone at the library. Of course, you must pick them up on time. The librarians are not babysitters.Naturally, of course, some children due to age or maturity can't be expected to use good judgement, so of course, you wouldn't drop him off and leave him.

Well if you had read her post she stated that the young man is her nephew. I can understand the reluctance to let him out of her site. He is not her child, but she has been entrusted with him. Therefore, a certain amount of hyper- vigilance is expected. When I have been entrusted with my nieces/nephews no matter their age, I too am hyper-vigilante.

Exactly, gator. And curious, as I said...he's 16. That's a minor, and he's in my care. And he's a priceless treasure. Ergo, I do not go off and leave him somewhere. Evil does exist in this world, and Imma do my damnedest to make sure it does not adversely affect my nephews on my watch.

RE: malignant inference statement above - more a statement of different priorities than a comment about someone's judgment. You have a priceless treasure you wanna leave at the library alone, fine by me. I personally am not going to leave my priceless treasures anywhere I am not. If they were my children, I don't think I would be a helicopter parent. I'd allow them freedom commensurate with their sense of responsibility/maturity/abilities/etc. However, the fact remains that evil is in this world, and whatever is necessary and within my power to protect those in my care from it is what I will do. If other people feel differently about their children, that's their little red wagon.

Oh, and no, I would not feel the same way if he were 31. 31 is not a minor; 16 is.

Thanks for pointing out how rude I am. I am grateful that you all pointed out the error of my ways. "I am stupid and unusually rude." (my new mantra)

Were I to leave my child at the library, I would not expect the librarian to babysit him. Agreed, that is not her job. However, if you bothered to read my response, I would not leave a child who 'needed' babysitting. In other words, as I stated, the child should be mature enough to be left alone.

And it takes a quite irresponsible parent not to pick up their child by closing time. I would call DFACS. It is nobody's responsibility to babysit your child. Everyone agrees on that, too.

Interesting that some of you will leave your 12 year old home alone for a few minutes, but not in a library to study. Cant' quite get that. Let's see, priceless treasure alone or priceless treasure around other humans. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Well, I'm fully grown. Most generally speaking, I do feel a bit safer amongst others than alone.

Fortunately for me, my 16 year old is mature enough to be left alone. Hopefully, he'll make good choices when he is on his own. I have no qualms allowing him to enjoy the aquarium on his own. Heck, one time I even let him ride his bike around the block, BY HIMSELF and out of my sight!!!!! Okay, true confessions here. He actually has a job as a lifeguard and so . . . I actually let him go to work by himself.

I know, right! Someone should report me

Using the Library as a babysitter?? Absurd!! They deserve the police to be called... why would people think that that would be ok??? I am wondering what the ages of the children left were, although there is no excuse!

Nobody said they were using the librarian as a babysitter. Had you read the thread, you would see the issue is not picking up your child by closing time.

And, of COURSE, the age of the child matters. How can you think otherwise?

I always wandered why American teens were so much more immature and less independent than teens in other parts of the world to which I've traveled.....

And then I read this thread.

But, when the parents don't come to parent teacher conferences,provide them with school supplies, return paper work/phone calls, then it's a problem right? Either you as a teacher want those of us that give a damn about our kids around or you don't. Make up your mind. After all the gooberment wants our kids to rely on us for as long as possible. You know that whole kid on insurance till they are 26.

FTR I will be that parent that will be as involved when DS gets to high school as I have been all along. Just like I was with my other two. Funny how they are very independent, and much more mature then their peers.

Not many 27yr olds out there can state they own their own home, and have their own business. Oh, and also finishing up their college degree program.

As far as someone else's minor child being left in my care, you can bet your butt I'm going to know exactly where, and with whom that child is with. No different then with my own child.

Edited by gog8tors
  • Like 2

Thanks for pointing out how rude I am. I am grateful that you all pointed out the error of my ways. "I am stupid and unusually rude." (my new mantra)

Were I to leave my child at the library, I would not expect the librarian to babysit him. Agreed, that is not her job. However, if you bothered to read my response, I would not leave a child who 'needed' babysitting. In other words, as I stated, the child should be mature enough to be left alone.

And it takes a quite irresponsible parent not to pick up their child by closing time. I would call DFACS. It is nobody's responsibility to babysit your child. Everyone agrees on that, too.

Interesting that some of you will leave your 12 year old home alone for a few minutes, but not in a library to study. Cant' quite get that. Let's see, priceless treasure alone or priceless treasure around other humans. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Well, I'm fully grown. Most generally speaking, I do feel a bit safer amongst others than alone.

Fortunately for me, my 16 year old is mature enough to be left alone. Hopefully, he'll make good choices when he is on his own. I have no qualms allowing him to enjoy the aquarium on his own. Heck, one time I even let him ride his bike around the block, BY HIMSELF and out of my sight!!!!! Okay, true confessions here. He actually has a job as a lifeguard and so . . . I actually let him go to work by himself.

I'm pretty sure the op was talking about a "child" and it's lovely that you're not concerned. BTW, my sisters library had issues with pedophiles hanging there. I guess they were just waiting for some idiot to drop their kid off alone.

I'm pretty sure the op was talking about a "child" and it's lovely that you're not concerned. BTW, my sisters library had issues with pedophiles hanging there. I guess they were just waiting for some idiot to drop their kid off alone.

maybe so. but the whole thread talks about anyone being under 18 is a 'child' and a minor. In fact, I addressed that directly. furthermore, the post to which I was responding said that she had great trepidation in allowing the 16 year old to view the aquarium with a buddy.

There are pedophiles at your sister's library? There have been issues with 'them?" More than one? Do they congregate outside? How did she know they were pedophiles? This is alarming and I hope the authorities were notified? Are they locked up yet? Are their names on the pedophile list? Did they get away?

When someone leaves their 12-yr old at home for a short while, the doors to the home can be locked preventing others from just walking in. When one drops their 12-yr old off at the library, the doors are open for anyone to come in. The child is safer at home without parental supervision than they would be unattended at the library. That's the difference.

• Like 1

I think some of the "all included generalizations" are biased in this situation about leaving kids. I am confident that at the age of 13+ my kids will be able to make good choices for themselves based on their raising. I would leave my kids alone at the library at this age. BUT, I would also know when the library closed and who they are meeting at the library or what their purpose should be at the library. I have seen kids left of at far worse places and it all has to do with parental guidance. My neighbor leaves his middle school kid home alone all the time. Other parents in our subdivision let their early teen girls go visit him at all hours. No way!! The library at least offers culture that the camper in his driveway does not offer!