Paulding.com

A tick was crawling up my arm

Got it off and burned the hell out of it. Funny thou, I just went to the vet this morning and bought that pill for Ragdoll for flea and ticks. Then here is one crawling on me. I'm not in the mood to get Lyme Disease again.

Lyme disease is bad in Maryland. I was told that deer ticks not wood ticks give you Lyme disease. They are very tiny and hard to see. You should be OK.

I beg to differ. I had Lyme Disease a few years ago from a tick that was on my stomach. Nice little bull eye and the whole shebang. It wasn't fun. And the tick came from my yard.

I beg to differ. I had Lime Disease a few years ago from a tick that was on my stomach. Nice little bull eye and the whole shebang. It wasn't fun. And the tick came from my yard.

Geez I was just trying to make you feel better. You cant get Lyme from the ticks that are easy to see(example wood ticks). Also most cases are in the Northeast and North central states.

"Myth: All Ticks Carry Lyme Disease

Fact: There are a number of types of ticks, but only blacklegged ticks (commonly called deer ticks) carry the bacterium that causes Lyme disease, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Lone star ticks, the American dog tick, the Rocky Mountain wood tick and the brown dog tick do not transmit the disease."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/20/lyme-disease-myths-facts_n_3287872.html

Lyme disease is bad in Maryland. I was told that deer ticks not wood ticks give you Lyme disease. They are very tiny and hard to see. You should be OK.

DR, that is a myth, any tick can carry Lyme, all it has to do is bite an infected animal and breed.

There are many myth's about Lyme and people are being disabled and their lives ruined by stupid myths perpetuated by ignorant people. This is Lyme disease awareness month. Many of us are doing all we can to get the message out, the truth about Lyme. Any and all ticks can carry it. 50% of people that have Lyme disease never saw a tick or had a rash. Lyme is a highly evolved bacteria, the markers used to identify Lyme in northeastern states don't work on the slightly different southern ticks, many fail the test and are severely disabled. Educate yourselves about this disease, it is on the rise in Georgia, in 1989 we had more southern Lyme reported than Lyme Ct. It is simply called Lyme because that was were it became famous. Same bacteria different name.

I can't stress enough how horrible it is to go undiagnosed for years with this, blindness, crippling pain, a form of dementia called Lyme fog. Google it learn all you can and protect your family.

• Like 1

Geez I was just trying to make you feel better. You cant get Lyme from the ticks that are easy to see(example wood ticks). Also most cases are in the Northeast and North central states.

"Myth: All Ticks Carry Lyme Disease

Fact: There are a number of types of ticks, but only blacklegged ticks (commonly called deer ticks) carry the bacterium that causes Lyme disease, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Lone star ticks, the American dog tick, the Rocky Mountain wood tick and the brown dog tick do not transmit the disease."

http://www.huffingto..._n_3287872.html

I'm to freaked out to feel better right now. Those dang things give me the creeps. YUK!!!!:wacko: :crazy: 8P :bad:

Yes, there has been many discussions about the CDC and Lyme Disease and they really need to update their information. Because it's out dated. LPPT is still battling it as well. She at the moment is trying to get the information out about it as well. It is down here, here to stay.

But thank you for trying to make me feel better it is appreciated, but I'm to freaked out right now.

DR, that is a myth, any tick can carry Lyme, all it has to do is bite an infected animal and breed.

There are many myth's about Lyme and people are being disabled and their lives ruined by stupid myths perpetuated by ignorant people. This is Lyme disease awareness month. Many of us are doing all we can to get the message out, the truth about Lyme. Any and all ticks can carry it. 50% of people that have Lyme disease never saw a tick or had a rash. Lyme is a highly evolved bacteria, the markers used to identify Lyme in northeastern states don't work on the slightly different southern ticks, many fail the test and are severely disabled. Educate yourselves about this disease, it is on the rise in Georgia, in 1989 we had more southern Lyme reported than Lyme Ct. It is simply called Lyme because that was were it became famous. Same bacteria different name.

I can't stress enough how horrible it is to go undiagnosed for years with this, blindness, crippling pain, a form of dementia called Lyme fog. Google it learn all you can and protect your family.

Wow, my DR told me differently when I was worried about my son being bit by a tick. And when I look for articles on line about it, it pretty much says the same thing. Wood ticks do not give you Lyme.

I didn't know that LPPT posted, let alone here. We must have posted at the same time!!! Welcome back LPPT, I'm glad you came back to help me with this. I just can explain what happed to me. You know more about the in's and outs of the disease.

For Pete's sake, don't burn it or put Vaseline on it. Get the tweezers and yank the sucker out (on the first try, so get a good grip.) You want to avoid them vomiting toxins into your body.

Set it on fire afterwards if you like. :D

Wow, my DR told me differently when I was worried about my son being bit by a tick. And when I look for articles on line about it, it pretty much says the same thing. Wood ticks do not give you Lyme.

If he symptomatic pursue it. Doctors don't study this, they are given bits of information from health departments and pharmaceutical companies. If you think he is showing symptoms let me know I can find you an educated LLMD.

For Pete's sake, don't burn it or put Vaseline on it. Get the tweezers and yank the sucker out (on the first try, so get a good grip.) You want to avoid them vomiting toxins into your body.

Set it on fire afterwards if you like. :D

Actually save it, date it and put it in the freezer, it is no guarantee against misdiagnosis but it may be all you have in the face of negative test and an insurance company fighting you on treatment. My health system conveniently lost my blood test orders and recognized the error 2 weeks into antibiotic treatment. I am livid. It is guarenteed I will test negative after 2 weeks of doxy. Guess what? they could win a case against me if my treatment went into the 1000's of dollars for intravenous treatment for a year. Yeah it happens to thousands of people.

• Like 1

I didn't know that LPPT posted, let alone here. We must have posted at the same time!!! Welcome back LPPT, I'm glad you came back to help me with this. I just can explain what happed to me. You know more about the in's and outs of the disease.

This is important to me, the suffering that I am seeing from people undiagnosed is breaking my heart.

LPPT, what is a LLMD? :)

Lone star ticks most certainly do and can cause lyme. The CDC likes to call is STARI, but STARI is just lyme incognito. You have NO IDEA what lies and mistruths the CDC is guilty of. Please watch the movie UNDER OUR SKIN (free on netflix). You may be skeptical about it being a netflix movie but it is a documentary that was put together by lyme disease activists to shine the light on the CDC, improper reporting practices by health officials, the many conflicts of interest that the supposed expert panel of doctors at the CDC have.

Lyme can kill you. It is very serious. Lucky, consider yourself a LUCKY DUCK if you were able to stave it off one time. A friend of mine tested positive at her GP for lyme. I referred her to an infectious disease doctor in Austell who then told her that there is NO LYME IN GEORGIA. Really? My infectious disease doctor in Villa Rica told me that he treats 20 patients a week with lyme. 20 PATIENTS A WEEK!!! Why such different opinions? Because the reporting practices SUCK! They are not enforced and barely followed! My case did not get reported. Why? The regional supervisor at the Rome Health Department could not answer. He had no answer other than he agreed that the reporting needs to be more consistent. YA THINK?

Good Luck! Watch that area where you were bitten. Not everyone will get a bullseye rash. If you get to feeling a little run down, feverish or get even a cold, get checked. Keep the tick. It can be tested too.

I too found a tick on my stomach. It happened a few weeks ago and I was surprised it was a tick. I had been in class all day and had only been outside for a couple minutes when I took the dogs out to go to the bathroom. When I first noticed on my stomach I thought it was just something (not a bug) sticking to me and had no idea how it got there. When I couldn't wipe it off I looked closer and then noticed it was a tick. Creepy. Haven't found any on the dogs thank goodness!

CrownApp and LPPT......

I understand what you're saying about the doctors and the CDC denying the existence of Lyme, but why?

What is to be gained from denial?

I am not sure what the actual number of undiagnosed people in the U.S are. People that have had it for many years can cost an insurance company as much if not more than a cancer patient. Most end up on disability then the taxpayer you and I have to deal with the cost. Many are crippled and in wheel chairs. It has got to be caught early, the money has not been invested in the research for early detection through blood test. Conn. New york, NJ, Virg. are now dumping millions in to research and and prevention because the cost of disability and late stage treatment was astronomical. Georgia needs to take a page out of their book before it is too late. I was so educated by my years in Conn. I was educating my GP about the disease. Insurance companies need to go, I am tired of picking up the tab for them.

follow the almighty dollar and you will find the culprit. It's all in the money for testing, drugs and treatment. Lyme is the known as the big imitator. Those who have Fibromyalgia, MS, Parkinsons, heart disease, Alzheimers etc...they all need to be tested for lyme and lyme related diseases. There is a known cardiac doctor from up north who was only a cardiac doctor. He started noticing some similarities in his patients and then started routinely testing each patient for lyme. I can't remember his exact percentage but OVER 80% OF HIS CARDIAC PATIENTS, tested POSITIVE for lyme. He eventually switched his specialty over to lyme treatment.

I can give you more information that you would ever want to know about lyme. When I first started researching it (and was very, very sick while doing so), I also wondered WHY and HOW can they treat AMERICANS this way? I mean, really. I'm AMERICAN. I have insurance. I'm going to doctors who are sworn to help me and not hurt me. If the CDC takes their licenses away they cannot practice. If the CDC catches wind of people getting treatment outside of their guidelines, they punish the doctors. The doctor do exactly what the CDC will allow. Well, if their body of experts of multiple conflicts of interest with testing, drug and research funding, they will protect their interests at all cost.

The short of it is (LOL) that the CDC holds the key to the controversy.

Long term antibiotics saved me. They can save many people but they cannot get long term antibiotics due to the guidelines. People with severe acne can get long term antibiotics, like years worth. People with lyme get 30-60 days. Then you're cured...so they say. You're not. You get sicker, and sicker, and sicker. Then they tell you that you have fibromyalgia, then you need prozac because all of the sudden you're the one that's crazy and making all of this up in your head. But you're sick. Then you develop ticks, and your nerves all over your body start getting inflamed and you start hurting in places you didn't know existed. Oh, and I forgot all the arthritis and swelling that you're experiencing at this point. You can hardly move, but that's okay because you're too tired to get out of bed because of extreme fatigue. But....it's all in your head.

Not hardly. Because I'm not the only one this happened to. THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE all over the US are suffering.

Thanks to the kindness of an angel, I got long term antibiotics and thankfully got better.

follow the almighty dollar and you will find the culprit. It's all in the money for testing, drugs and treatment. Lyme is the known as the big imitator. Those who have Fibromyalgia, MS, Parkinsons, heart disease, Alzheimers etc...they all need to be tested for lyme and lyme related diseases. There is a known cardiac doctor from up north who was only a cardiac doctor. He started noticing some similarities in his patients and then started routinely testing each patient for lyme. I can't remember his exact percentage but OVER 80% OF HIS CARDIAC PATIENTS, tested POSITIVE for lyme. He eventually switched his specialty over to lyme treatment.

I can give you more information that you would ever want to know about lyme. When I first started researching it (and was very, very sick while doing so), I also wondered WHY and HOW can they treat AMERICANS this way? I mean, really. I'm AMERICAN. I have insurance. I'm going to doctors who are sworn to help me and not hurt me. If the CDC takes their licenses away they cannot practice. If the CDC catches wind of people getting treatment outside of their guidelines, they punish the doctors. The doctor do exactly what the CDC will allow. Well, if their body of experts of multiple conflicts of interest with testing, drug and research funding, they will protect their interests at all cost.

The short of it is (LOL) that the CDC holds the key to the controversy.

Long term antibiotics saved me. They can save many people but they cannot get long term antibiotics due to the guidelines. People with severe acne can get long term antibiotics, like years worth. People with lyme get 30-60 days. Then you're cured...so they say. You're not. You get sicker, and sicker, and sicker. Then they tell you that you have fibromyalgia, then you need prozac because all of the sudden you're the one that's crazy and making all of this up in your head. But you're sick. Then you develop ticks, and your nerves all over your body start getting inflamed and you start hurting in places you didn't know existed. Oh, and I forgot all the arthritis and swelling that you're experiencing at this point. You can hardly move, but that's okay because you're too tired to get out of bed because of extreme fatigue. But....it's all in your head.

Not hardly. Because I'm not the only one this happened to. THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE all over the US are suffering.

Thanks to the kindness of an angel, I got long term antibiotics and thankfully got better.

Thanks for the info, that is so sad and I'm sorry you've been so sick.

Why can't folks storm Washington and demand change? Has it been tried? How can the CDC have that much power? And I know they DO! I have a lot of doubts about the CDC, after all they are a government entity.

Can anything be done to create change?

Thanks for the info, that is so sad and I'm sorry you've been so sick.

Why can't folks storm Washington and demand change? Has it been tried? How can the CDC have that much power? And I know they DO! I have a lot of doubts about the CDC, after all they are a government entity.

Can anything be done to create change?

Georgia Lyme Disease Association works tirelessly for change. We are severely challenged for funds. Our protest base group is usually too sick to make public appearances. However, May is Lyme Disease Awareness month all over the world. They just sent a group to Washington May 25th. I have a gut feeling, the doors are about to blow off this mess. It's just a matter of time before it does. Some studies suggest that insurance companies will be spending far more money on lyme treatment that they will on cancer. Legislation has been passed in several states now that state that just because you have a negative lyme disease antibody test (which is the only way to test for it), doesn't mean that you do not have lyme and that it is still possible to have lyme and just not test positive for the antibodies that fight lyme in your system. If states have passed that legislation, then it may not be a law per se in GA, but the fact remains to be true. This just scratches the surface.

I've been at 4H camp all day and I am exhausted now and I have more information on what is going on with other legislation but I don't really have the time to devote to it right now. If you really want more info, I'll be very happy to pull it all up for you. It's all so sad that you have to demand them to do what is right. It's also sad that we are truly not as free as we like to think we are.

If he symptomatic pursue it. Doctors don't study this, they are given bits of information from health departments and pharmaceutical companies. If you think he is showing symptoms let me know I can find you an educated LLMD.

This was soon after we moved here, almost 4 years ago. It was a wood tick, so he was OK.

http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/transmission/index.html

CDC also says wood ticks don't cause Lyme.

"Ticks not known to transmit Lyme disease include Lone star ticks (Amblyomma americanum), the American dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis), the Rocky Mountain wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni), and the brown dog tick (Rhipicephalus sanguineus)"

This is important to me, the suffering that I am seeing from people undiagnosed is breaking my heart.

Sorry to read this : (

Wow...I have a friend whose mom has been suffering for 18 months with something that has got worse and worse. They've tested for MS, Parkinson's, and several other things.....and they can't get any real answers. Just this week someone suggested it could be Lyme. After reading up on the symptoms my friend is CONVINCED that is what her mom has. Now they have to find a Dr. that will listen to them and do the testing.

Wow...I have a friend whose mom has been suffering for 18 months with something that has got worse and worse. They've tested for MS, Parkinson's, and several other things.....and they can't get any real answers. Just this week someone suggested it could be Lyme. After reading up on the symptoms my friend is CONVINCED that is what her mom has. Now they have to find a Dr. that will listen to them and do the testing.

pray that you can. You can tell them to contact the Ga Lyme Disease Association to see if they can help you find someone who will test. Surely they can convince the doctor who has already tested for all of that, would at least humor them and try testing for lyme.

http://georgialymedisease.org/

If ya'll didn't know, Michael J Fox "had" lyme disease 2 years before his Parkinsons symptoms started. Google it. It's true.

Didn't know that about Micheal J Fox! Interesting ....I will definitely tell her to get with the, Lyme disease group. I never realized there was a group for that. Thank you for your awareness of this horrible sickness.

Didn't know that about Micheal J Fox! Interesting ....I will definitely tell her to get with the, Lyme disease group. I never realized there was a group for that. Thank you for your awareness of this horrible sickness.

You might have your friend print the article that this link has in it.

The published study is something a doctor will respect. I have printed one to take to my doctor.

I was lucky that he followed the official protocol which was to treat based on symptoms because the test so far are not very reliable. All the Lymies are hoping that more money will be spent to develop better testing procedures and stop the suffering from going long term without treatment.

http://paulding.com/forum/index.php/topic/301571-lyme-awareness-month-ends-today/page__view__findpost__p__3804725

Please watch the movie UNDER OUR SKIN (free on netflix). You may be skeptical about it being a netflix movie but it is a documentary that was put together by lyme disease activists to shine the light on the CDC, improper reporting practices by health officials, the many conflicts of interest that the supposed expert panel of doctors at the CDC have.

I don't currently have Netflix but I saw where Hulu has it free to watch. Here is the link: