Paulding.com

Consider this fair warning.....

I have woods behind my house.... and a subdivision behind them... We shoot into OUR part of the woods all the time... not at kids or dogs or anything like that... The SO has been called... they can't do anything... oh and 50 yds isn't that far just so you know... and I live RIGHT on Hwy 61.

I don't think he was shooting "at" your kids or anyone elses... if so one would have been hit by now...a house, dog, vehicle... something. He could have been shooting at the ground, squirrels, beavers, snakes....who knows..even into the trees.

I'm not trying to be nasty...I'm just saying that he has every right to shoot on his property as you do to tell someone they can collect rocks on yours.

• Like 1
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

President??? We don't have a PRESIDENT, we have a Vacationing Social Butterfly pretending to be President. He's a JOKE!!!

Original post: "While it is perfectly acceptable to use a firearm to protect your property, it is NOT acceptable to fire that shotgun at a group of small children playing on THEIR OWN property"   Po

I am astounded that the Sheriff's dept urged you to arm yourself and take the law into your own hands. Is that what the County has come down to, neighbors shooting at each other ? Has anarchy finall

Welcome to The New Paulding County......Two men enter one man leaves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHU6K47qgc8

CC You may be underestimating the power of a magic mom, protecting children she loves. ;) I hope she gets a hold of this guy and goes crazy! Ever encountered a momma bear in the woods, protecting a few cubs?! This isn't between two men. ;) I am thinking this is between a crazy old man and a mad, momma bear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27IW08mC3zE

Edited by ivylove
  • Like 1

Hell my neighbor walks outside with a handgun and shoots, but he shoots into the field behind his house, and his house is at least 2 acres away from ours. It makes me uncomfortable, but that's the price I pay for living in the sticks. It's not uncommon to hear gunfire at our house on a daily basis. There are a lot of gun toting rednecks down here.

• Like 2

My family target shoots on our property all the time. We go behind our house into the woods and shoot. We practice safe procedures such as sitting our targets up so as we shoot in the direction of a bank. My grandkids shoot with us also.

He was physically standing at the property marker and he was shooting into the air, not actually pointing at the kids. BUT, I'm the type that remembers freak accidents and I remember about 8 years ago, a man shot a gun into the air somewhere in Fayette County (I think) and the bullet came down a mile and half away, through the roof of a house and into the brain of a stay at home mom with three small kids. I've never forgotten that because she was my age and her kids were my age. For this reason, when ANYone shoots, we just go inside.

We have plenty of people all around us who target shoot. That's not an issue. We also know that other landowners actively hunt on their own land during the legal hunting season. Those of us that play in the woods stay on our side, within the property markers. The kids actually asked me before they entered my property, though they don't always ask first. We live in an established neighborhood and those on the back side own larger lots that boarder WMA land. On each side of my street, private owners. The places I have gone have always been with permission of and accompanies by the land owner (I love taking pictures in the woods, especially the birds). We have wild turkeys, foxes, deer, racoons, and recently, coyotes. OF COURSE there are people with guns around. I have absolutely NO ISSUE with target practice, with someone hunting legally, or even with someone just walking through (NOT shooting, of course). It's a beautiful area and a lovely trail. We even cleared a spot for camping out this summer back toward the water. But we don't feel safe even when we're inside the fence, so until the man is actually caught, no camping out for us!

What happened yesterday was a first because he was actually seen. In the past, we weren't really sure WHO it was and what their intentions were. When the incident happened last fall, we were convinced it was someone from outside our area and worried over a crazy stalker out there. The neighbor kids have had many more experiences with it then we have, because with MINE, mom and/or dad HAS to be within arm's reach, so we mainly stay within our little fenced in area. But yesterday, right before the first shot, I heard the kids start screaming "Don't! No!" And I actually called one of the mom's and was asking her where her kids were when the first shot happened. The kids started really screaming then and he fired a second shot. That's when I started screaming, hung up on the other lady and called 911. The kids came running out the woods and told me what they saw as I was on the phone with dispatch. I told them all to go home and get their parents and within minutes, we all met the Deputies out front. When they tracked the guy to his house and he had fled, that's when we realized how crazy this guy must be. Obviously, he KNEW he'd be in trouble, that's why he took off. And his wife just sat there raving about how we (the neighborhood) ruined her land. If she wanted the land, she should've bought it 20 years ago before the neighborhood was built!

Ok, sorry about the ranting. Its just that yesterday, we were able to confirm it wasn't someone minding their own business, or accidently hunting in the wrong spot (at the wrong time of year), it wasn't innocent. Those kids are YOUNG. Not much older then mine! They're good kids, not always in line but definately not vandels or thugs in the making. All of us parents were home, and I was even in the yard watching them when they went into the woods! We should be able to go outside and play without fearing the stalker with the shotgun who is just waiting for a CHILD to step over the boundry. That's absolutely nuts!!

I have woods behind my house.... and a subdivision behind them... We shoot into OUR part of the woods all the time... not at kids or dogs or anything like that... The SO has been called... they can't do anything... oh and 50 yds isn't that far just so you know... and I live RIGHT on Hwy 61.

I don't think he was shooting "at" your kids or anyone elses... if so one would have been hit by now...a house, dog, vehicle... something. He could have been shooting at the ground, squirrels, beavers, snakes....who knows..even into the trees.

I'm not trying to be nasty...I'm just saying that he has every right to shoot on his property as you do to tell someone they can collect rocks on yours.

But likewise, her children should have the RIGHT to collect rocks, on their property, WITHOUT having the fear that they will be shot.....even by accident!

And yes!! I'm a mama bear....but I am not the only one in this neighborhood, that's for sure. There's one woman I have literally taken notes from. Her parenting has left me in awe at moments. It takes a real gift to command a group of teenagers without once threatening or raising your voice. That mom has skills!

I fully agree, but this wasn't a homeowner being innocent....and the kids WERE innocent.

Would you be willing to take this "chance" with your kids? :unsure:

Edited by ivylove

Original post: "While it is perfectly acceptable to use a firearm to protect your property, it is NOT acceptable to fire that shotgun at a group of small children playing on THEIR OWN property"

Post #44: "He was physically standing at the property marker and he was shooting into the air, not actually pointing at the kids."

Which is it, was he firing it at them or not? This is why people are confused from the start of the thread.

Edited by arsenas
  • Like 3

So, It's okay to shoot at people as long as you're standing in your own yard? I read all the responses and I still don't get why this guy was not arrested.

Yeah, I'm a little confused also.

If this guy was shooting AT children with the intent to harm them, then there is no reason this guy should not be in jail right now. As long as this guy isn't running from the law, the police should have picked him up and taken him in, especially if they know who he is. If this is the case, I'd say the police department is negligible.

If this guy was just shooting on his property, for whatever reason other than what i stated above, then I don't see a huge problem with it. If he's close to your property line where your children happen to be playing then I'd just suggest to send them inside during his shooting session for extra precaution, that's what I'd do. This of course does not include subdivisions where it would be illegal anyway.

I agree with Magic Mommy that our children should be safe on our own property and we shouldn't have to keep them inside because of stupid idiots like that.

If this guy is trying to harm children, I would hope he gets arrested soon. God forbid a child is injured or killed because the police neglected to arrest him.

Oh well, I apologize.....let me be clear: He wasn't pointing at the kids....but yeah, approching five small children in the woods while firing a shotgun, even into the air, IS shooting at the kids.

Nothing happens in a vacuum, has there been issues between this man, the neighbors or the neighborhood kids in the past ?

And I don't know what happened after I went into to put my kids to bed. I don't know if the police came back to get him, or if they plan to ride by today. The police did say they will be actively patrolling the streets in and around the neighborhood in the hours of our complaints (again, there is a history here) to see if they can hear the shooter themselves. That makes me feel much better. As for the incident yesterday, I was just a witness. The parents of the five children involved are the ones who will follow up with the SO. Technically, it's not even my fight. But I do feel anxious and frustrated about it. Thank you to those who understand and I apologize to the semantics nazis who feel the need to pick me apart.

Yeah, I'm a little confused also.

If this guy was shooting AT children with the intent to harm them, then there is no reason this guy should not be in jail right now. As long as this guy isn't running from the law, the police should have picked him up and taken him in, especially if they know who he is. If this is the case, I'd say the police department is negligible.

If this guy was just shooting on his property, for whatever reason other than what i stated above, then I don't see a huge problem with it. If he's close to your property line where your children happen to be playing then I'd just suggest to send them inside during his shooting session for extra precaution, that's what I'd do. This of course does not include subdivisions where it would be illegal anyway.

I agree with Magic Mommy that our children should be safe on our own property and we shouldn't have to keep them inside because of stupid idiots like that.

If this guy is trying to harm children, I would hope he gets arrested soon. God forbid a child is injured or killed because the police neglected to arrest him.

What if a stray bullet hits one of the children, at the start of his shooting session, before they have time to round up the children and force them to come in, making them give up their "rights", so he can excercise his?

Edited by ivylove

I'm not going to get into semantics and try to break it down.......

I think the man should be in jail.

If you need to "catch" him in the act on camera to bring charges I hope you DO.

Obviously the man is a loon trying to "scare" everyone with his guns and shooting and he needs to go to jail.

Good luck Magic Mommy and soon.

JMHO

Nothing happens in a vacuum, has there been issues between this man, the neighbors or the neighborhood kids in the past ?

We didn't know it was him that was shooting all along...when it's happened and we've called it in, it wasn't always when kids were playing in the woods. Sometimes they play basketball in the dead end, or ride their bikes up and down the street, or jump on their own tampolines. Sometimes, they go play in the woods. They're KIDS! They play! Most of the time, it happens after school hours so we didn't know if it was a kid learning to shoot or what it exactly it was until yesterday. We also couldn't confirm it was directed at anyone in particular until yesterday. As far as confrontations with this person in the past, he has a lot of dogs who bark constantly and other then an odd complaint over several years about the barking, nothing that I know of set him off this time. I've never heard of the kids riding bikes in lawns, ruining flowerbeds or torturing animals, or any other reason I can think of to chase off a group of little kids.

But I can play devil's advocate, too. We've had two home invasions (that I know about) in the last year. One of them was just before Spring Break and was an older teen from another part of the county. IF I were to defend him, it would be over THAT issue. Maybe he heard someone in the woods and fear sent him out to investigate. At the point he physically saw the children, he had no right to fire. Even into the air. And IF, that's a huge IF, he was innocently trying to protect his home from intruders, he was not even in sight of his home, he WAS in sight of MY home, however.

What if a stray bullet hits one of the children, at the start of his shooting session, before they have time to round up the children and force them to come in, making them give up their "rights", so he can excercise his?

If this happens then the guy was not taking the proper safety precautions and should be carted off to jail, or at least cited. Careless idiots with guns are never a good mix.

And unless they have the power to read minds, how are they ever to know, when he will randomly decide to start one of his shooting session? What if they decide to grill out some hamburgers and he decides to start one of his shooting sessions? Whose rights take priority? The right of some old man to shoot on his property, or the right of a family to enjoy a pretty day and grill out? Should they have to stop something like an outside birthday party, in order to remain safe from a potential stray bullet, just so this guy can exercise his right to shoot up in the air?

I thought it was illegal to be shooting a gun in a residential area, anyway? You mean it is not? Can I get out in my backyard and start shooting? :unsure:

I have some woods behind my house.

Nothing in state law makes shooting a gun illegal in a 'residential area'. There are a few specific laws such as shooting near a roadway, while intoxicated and on anothers property but the rest is covered under simple reckless conduct laws which require a deliberate and knowing unsafe act.

That being said....if a person is shooting a gun on their own land in a safe direction or with a proper backstop it is not illegal even of you are in or near a subdivision or 'residential area'. It is a common complaint made to LE that simply isn't illegal in most cases.

• Like 2

If this happens then the guy was not taking the proper safety precautions and should be carted off to jail, or at least cited. Careless idiots with guns are never a good mix.

So, they should just not complain, until an accident "actually" happens and perhaps a child is injured or killed, and at THAT point we can all assume that he wasn't taking the "proper safety precautions", and he can be carted off to jail and we will KNOW for sure that he was a careless idiot with a gun. In the meantime, the children should just be content to play inside, or run for their lives, as fast as the can inside to safety if he starts one of his shooting sessions. :unsure:

If this happens as you say, might I suggest calling a senior law enforcement officer and Fox 5? I'm sorry but if someone shot amt (or even near) children, they would be going to jail. I would call the Sherriff, the mayor, the governor - te president if I had to - seems odd that the police tell you to resort to vigilante law.

They didn't say to resort to vigilante law, I'm the one who used that term and as a figure of speech. Think about it, if a child were shot in the woods in a subdivision, the entire community would rise up.

What the police actually told us is: If we own a gun, to accompany the kids while armed. They didn't tell us to shoot back, and they didn't advise us to threaten to shoot back. They said to call 911 if and when we saw him. Otherwise, try to catch the guy on camera, either actually shooting or in possession of the gun while on our land. THAT'S within my own power, to try to catch him on camera and prosecute. I already have a handheld cam by the back door, fully charged with a new tape. I need new footage of my kids anyway, so now the camera's going out with me every time I step outside. I also placed trap cams with video along the edge of my property at first light this morning.

This is not about gun control, this about an adult intimitading and threatening children. We have as much a right to be safe in our homes and yards as my neighbor does to protect HIS home. There was a father down there with the kids, too. And HE was yelling and screaming before the guy shot the first time. This wasn't an accident. It was not an innocent situation AT ALL and no matter what the excuse, no one can convince me he had a right to shoot at those kids yesterday.

And with that, I'm totally off my soapbox. I've got too much else to do before carpool to continue to defend myself online. I have to defend my yard and family first.

***And I don't think any comments in this thread are offensive or anything, I understand y'all are just trying to figure out what happened. I am ranting because I'm upset at the stituaiton. I aboslutely appreciate your opinions and advice, as well as those playing my devil's advocate. I wouldn't have brought it up if I didn't appreciate your insights. For now,

I will do everything I legally and morally can to protect my children and my neighbor's kids. That's just who I am. I will NOT let this keep me from enjoying this beautiful weather. I will just take the kids to the park after school and not eat on the back porch in the evenings for a while.

• Like 2

So, they should just not complain, until an accident "actually" happens and perhaps a child is injured or killed, and at THAT point we can all assume that he wasn't taking the "proper safety precautions", and he can be carted off to jail and we will KNOW for sure that he was a careless idiot with a gun. In the meantime, the children should just be content to play inside, or run for their lives, as fast as the can inside to safety if he starts one of his shooting sessions. :unsure:

Nope. If this is the case, then Magic Mommy did the right thing to call the police. If this guy is being a careless idiot and shooting into the air, the smart thing to do would be to contact the proper authorities so they can make sure this guy doesn't do it again, by either going to jail or being cited. Nowhere did I say he should continue to act recklessly until an accident occurs, not sure where you got that from.

why are you warning us?

I was mainly venting, letting the mama bear growl...However....There is a GA law, (it usually pertains to recordings INSIDE private property) that requires public notice of video and audio recordings on private propery. I don't have the time to look it up to quote it speficially, so I don't know if it applies to the outdoors, but I consider this as much public notice as the sign by my doorbell warning of audio and video recording on the propery, which is a legal notice according to that statute I didn't look up to quote for you.

I was mainly venting, letting the mama bear growl...However....There is a GA law, (it usually pertains to recordings INSIDE private property) that requires public notice of video and audio recordings on private propery. I don't have the time to look it up to quote it speficially, so I don't know if it applies to the outdoors, but I consider this as much public notice as the sign by my doorbell warning of audio and video recording on the propery, which is a legal notice according to that statute I didn't look up to quote for you.

You are fighting a losing battle coming here and I'm sorry! You should have known better, nothing ever comes good out of it. Even when you are trying to protect. I hope what you are trying to do with your neighbors works and they get him. He is a mence to society and will eventually hurt someone if not himself.

• Like 2

I understand them telling you to get him on camera on your property but you said he did not come on your property and you said he did not shoot at the kids. You say he shot at the kids, then no he shot in the air. Can you honestly say anyone even saw him shoot. If my family was that concerned about this man my husband would not have let me go out into the woods and put cameras out. Hope you get this solved but there is always two sides to every story.

Edited by ProudMawMawof5

Original post: "While it is perfectly acceptable to use a firearm to protect your property, it is NOT acceptable to fire that shotgun at a group of small children playing on THEIR OWN property"

Post #44: "He was physically standing at the property marker and he was shooting into the air, not actually pointing at the kids."

Which is it, was he firing it at them or not? This is why people are confused from the start of the thread.

Still confused.

I understand them telling you to get him on camera on your property but you said he did not come on your property and you said he did not shoot at the kids. You say he shot at the kids, then no he shot in the air. Can you honestly say anyone even saw him shoot. If my family was that concerned about this man my husband would not have let me go out into the woods and put cameras out. Hope you get this solved but there is always two sides to every story.

So.....she should just relax and not worry about this, right? After all he is just a crazy old man with a gun. Nothing to see here....just move along.

I think the whole point of putting up the cameras is so she can "prove" that he is shooting! Once on camera then a lot of people can "honestly" say they saw him shooting.

And by the way......then, what would your husband do if this was your family that was concerned about this man?

What if he was shooting in the air.....and a bullet ricocheted, say off a tree or tree branch, and hit a kid, not in his yard? Is this reckless conduct? Even if he didn't mean for it to hit a kid? Say he was just on one of his scary "shooting sessions" and was just trying to scare some kids?

Now......let's just say that was YOUR kid, he hit?

Edited by ivylove

the house on the corner of my street has a new sign in their yard about closed circuit TV monitoring.

mostly because their son is a piece of shiit dirtbag drug dealer and sex offender.....

i either wave or pretend to pick my nose when at the stop sign in front of their house.

So.....she should just relax and not worry about this, right? After all he is just a crazy old man with a gun. Nothing to see here....just move along.

I think the whole point of putting up the cameras is so she can "prove" that he is shooting! Once on camera then a lot of people can "honestly" say they saw him shooting.

And by the way......then, what would your husband do if this was your family that was concerned about this man?

What if he was shooting in the air.....and a bullet ricocheted, say off a tree or tree branch, and hit a kid, not in his yard? Is this reckless conduct? Even if he didn't mean for it to hit a kid? Say he was just on one of his scary "shooting sessions" and was just trying to scare some kids?

Now......let's just say that was YOUR kid, he hit?

shotguns don't shoot bullets. but yeah, i guess a pellet could ricochet and might sting about as bad as a bb....

I thought it was illegal to be shooting a gun in a residential area, anyway? You mean it is not? Can I get out in my backyard and start shooting? :unsure:I have some woods behind my house.

It is.

It is indeed legal in the county, subject to the code momof3 posted about being at least 150'/50 yds. from the road/street and having a proper backstop. I live in a subdivision where most of the lots are 500' deep or longer. We have lots of target practice going on in the neighborhood.

If he is on his property he has the right to shoot his gun. If he is shooting it in the air then something needs to be done but if you haven't seen him shoot it then he possibly could be shooting into the ground and he has that right.

shotguns don't shoot bullets. but yeah, i guess a pellet could ricochet and might sting about as bad as a bb....

That was my thought as well.

Also - I get he was at the property line, but how far off the road was he? 150'/50 yds. is about 50 paces (by a man). Not real far. Which means (according to my reading of the law) if he was shooting into the air and was 150' off the road, it wasn't illegal. Not saying I wouldn't be upset if there were kids nearby...just reading the law and trying to discern what the situation is.

Not hard to figure out who is and who is not a fan of Red-Neck Fireworks in this discussion is it ? bomb.gif

Have you heard any of the stories of people getting wounded and even killed here in Ga. because some Yaa hoo decided it would be cool to shoot his guns into the air on the 4th of July ? Ever hear the saying "What goes up must come down" ?

* What do you Folks think this is little Baghdad !

Edited by CitizenCain

That was my thought as well.

Also - I get he was at the property line, but how far off the road was he? 150'/50 yds. is about 50 paces (by a man). Not real far. Which means (according to my reading of the law) if he was shooting into the air and was 150' off the road, it wasn't illegal. Not saying I wouldn't be upset if there were kids nearby...just reading the law and trying to discern what the situation is.

Well, the closest road was our street or his driveway. He was pretty far away from both, more then 100 yards. What I saw was the old man IN the woods. This was just before the third shot when I was on my deck herding my children inside. The kids were shouting before the first shot and I saw them running out just as he fired the third shot.

To answer the other questions...according to the five kids and adult that actually SAW him shoot the gun, he was shooting into the air, standing ON the property line that divides his yard from our neighbor's yard, who was the father who was actually there. He was facing the children and one final time, typing slowly and in bold letters for the "slow folks".... he shot into the air, four total times. So yes, there were witnesses who visibly saw him shoot.

Once again, for the semantics nazi's. I am the one who said he shot "at" the kids. To ME, shooting a gun into the air in front of the kids was aggressive enough behavior to indicate he would in fact shoot the children. THIS IS MY OPINION OF THE SITUATION AS I OBSERVED IT. A warning shot (meaning ONE) to scare off the kids is NOT what I personally would consider threatening. When the kids and the dad start screaming BEFORE any shots are fired, then a total of four shots fired WHILE the kids are screaming and running away, YES, that's threatening.

You are fighting a losing battle coming here and I'm sorry! You should have known better, nothing ever comes good out of it. Even when you are trying to protect. I hope what you are trying to do with your neighbors works and they get him. He is a mence to society and will eventually hurt someone if not himself.

LOL!! I do know better, I was still ticked off when I woke up this morning and just wanted to mainly complain! Thank you for the support, Lucky....and everyone else.

First, I hope that this situation gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction and that all stay safe. And that if someone needs to be arrested, they do get arrested and convicted.

Second, and nothing to do with the OP's specific situation, which I only know from what I understand in reading the posts.

When I was growing up, a block from "downtown" Smyrna back in the 60's and 70's, it was very common to have people shooting in their own yards.

The man across the street kept his (and ours) squirrel population down by shooting them with his .410 shotgun, almost weekly.

I would shoot in my backyard and many of the other people in the neighborhood would occasionally take some target practice in their own yards.

Because we grew up with it, no one thought much, if anything, about it.

I find that, in general, those who did not grow up around people who had guns or who were used to people shooting guns, tend to have a different reaction to people shooting on their own property than those who did grow up around guns.

Not making a judgment either way, just my observation.

Again, this observation is not about the original poster's current situation, as I do not know the facts in this case, but just a general observation.

We shoot cats, rats, and rabbits on the property in Smyrna. The chipmunks are too damn sneaky to hit, so I quit aiming for them.

With as much blood and food bits that are in and around the impounded cars behind the house, we have to do something to keep the rodent population down...

We shoot cats, rats, and rabbits on the property in Smyrna. The chipmunks are too damn sneaky to hit, so I quit aiming for them.

With as much blood and food bits that are in and around the impounded cars behind the house, we have to do something to keep the rodent population down...

Don't shoot the cats and they will handle the chipmunks. (and maybe a few rats)

I just don't get the obsession with guns - but to each his own. Why not go to specified target practice places? I don't understand target practice in a residential area. Children should feel safe in their neighborhoods and people should be able to walk through the woods without the fear of being shot.

• Like 1

I just don't get the obsession with guns - but to each his own. Why not go to specified target practice places? I don't understand target practice in a residential area. Children should feel safe in their neighborhoods and people should be able to walk through the woods without the fear of being shot.

We have lots of guns and the only time one has been discharged on our property was to shoot the bird that was damaging our siding. Hubby shot it with rat shot, which if fired at a human would probably bounce off. But owning a gun doesn't equal having a brain and using it responsibly.

Edited by momof 3