Paulding.com

who all has planted your garden?

I will be putting a few tomato plants and pepper plants out but i have not put them out yet, i did notice black berries are starting to bloom, so maybe later this week I will plant them

I will be putting a few tomato plants and pepper plants out but i have not put them out yet, i did notice black berries are starting to bloom, so maybe later this week I will plant them

It's supposed to be pretty cool next weekend, lows in the upper 30s so yes Blackberry Winter is upon us.

We have cool weather stuff in. Lettuces, arugula, radish, onions, etc.

But we have been holding back on the warm weather stuff. We stunted our 1st beans last year. They were up an inch or 2, and got hit by some mid 30s and had to struggle to come back. Beans planted 2-3 weeks later passed them bearing fruits.

So we are going to sit tight for another week and see what the weather decides to do.

Its just a feeling.

We had a super mild winter....never went into the teens. I think 22-23 was as cold as it got, and that was for a couple of hours. I don't think we had 24 hours below freezing all winter. Or if we did, it was just once.

April 10th is tecnhically our 50-50 frost date, so we are past there.

And Good Friday is the old traditional planting date for our area of the south, historically speaking. But Easter was super super early this year. Only off by a couple of days from being the earliest it can ever be.

But for what seeds and plants cost now a days, I would just rather wait another week, and be safe, although we can have a killing frost/freeze on into May, and had a terrible one the last Saturday night in April 3 or 4 years ago when it went to like 25 on April 29th.

So we will sit tight for the week, and get going on them next weekend. Beds are all tilled and ready.drinks.gif

Its just a feeling.

We had a super mild winter....never went into the teens. I think 22-23 was as cold as it got, and that was for a couple of hours. I don't think we had 24 hours below freezing all winter. Or if we did, it was just once.

April 10th is tecnhically our 50-50 frost date, so we are past there.

And Good Friday is the old traditional planting date for our area of the south, historically speaking. But Easter was super super early this year. Only off by a couple of days from being the earliest it can ever be.

But for what seeds and plants cost now a days, I would just rather wait another week, and be safe, although we can have a killing frost/freeze on into May, and had a terrible one the last Saturday night in April 3 or 4 years ago when it went to like 25 on April 29th.

So we will sit tight for the week, and get going on them next weekend. Beds are all tilled and ready.drinks.gif

Good Friday is when my grandparents would always plant their garden, but the weather has changed so much since then, Dogwoods use to bloom at Easter, this year they bloomed after Easter (because Easter was moved up) I am gonna give it another week or so. last year my garden just did not do to good.

I don't have a garden in the ground, but I do have my pots planted on the deck and the patio.

I have 3 kinds of tomatos, 2 kinds of peppers and cucumbers. I put them out a week ago Saturday and they have grown so much. I have 2 tomato plants with blooms and 2 pepper plants with blooms.

And they're easy to cover if we get a frost, hopefully we won't.

And speaking of a mild winter, I have two large planters on my front porch (covered) that I always put red geraniums in. Well, this year they made it. I cut all the dead off of them, watered and fertilized about 2 weeks ago and they have buds on them. Made it through the winter just fine.

Good luck everyone!

I, Have only planted Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage and Potatoes. I am waiting on blackberry winter for the tomatoes, squash and cucumbers etc.

Cuccumbers and squash seeds went in the ground last weekend and I bought tomato and pepper plants that'll go in probably this week. Son needs to grow cabbage for school, something about a scholarship. Got onions and I bet some pumpkins'll come up from last year, I had a ripe basketball sized pumpkin ready for the 4th of July.

I, Have only planted Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage and Potatoes. I am waiting on blackberry winter for the tomatoes, squash and cucumbers etc.

I was just about to ask were you were... see... I believe in that black berry winter I am glad you popped in...... I hope you are doing good. and I live closer to you now, so if you need any help with your garden let me know and i will be happy to help you...

I was just about to ask were you were... see... I believe in that black berry winter I am glad you popped in...... I hope you are doing good. and I live closer to you now, so if you need any help with your garden let me know and i will be happy to help you...

I never plant the tender plants before Black berry winter, I may need some help this year been ailing most of the year

I never plant the tender plants before Black berry winter, I may need some help this year been ailing most of the year

Just let me know whitey and i will be there.... I know your health has not been to good... and I will be more then happy to help you I love working out side.. and I do know how to weed a garden, dig holes, and pick up rocks lol

I have garlic and potatoes planted, and some lettuce. I bought some tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and will wait a bit to plant them outside. I also planted basil by seed and they are poking their little heads out now - so cute.

Yeah, the old-timers would say wait another week or two...some say first of May as a general rule. Too iffy before then. I hate wasted work.

My Daddy always said if you get it in the ground by May 1st, you are doing good.

My husbands Gran says never before the 30th so I'm holding off until next week at the earliest. I sure am antsy though!

me to

I planted everything about 2 weeks ago and have had tight cheeks since. I was going away and knew the husband would not water the stuff I had started inside. Was a little worried about this weekend, but they have raised the lows to the 40's now. Hope I am in the clear!

My parents always planted under the full moon, so according to The Farmers Almanac, it looks like April 25th at 3:59 pm is planting time for me.

Note to self *Do not be on pcom april 25 at 3:59 full moon alert* :D

I am thinking the end of april should be good to go the black berries have slowly started blooming

We had to re-do all our garden boxes. That was a 3 week process. We got stuff in the ground last week. We thought the cold weather was behind us....we were wrong!

That is one good looking box garden. I would like to see pictures when the garden when the plants come in.

We had to re-do all our garden boxes. That was a 3 week process. We got stuff in the ground last week. We thought the cold weather was behind us....we were wrong!

Did you have landscaping timbers from the Depot or elsewhere before?

We started our raised bed garden 20+ years ago. The oldest, original beds are still good. The ones we did 3, 5, 7 years ago have totally rotted and have had to be redone, and I know now they still will rot out in another year or 2. Why do they still call them landscaping timbers if there is not enough preservative to make them last more than a couple of years ?

My newest bed was even sprayed with a waterproofing preservative on the inside before we filled it, and it still was rotting away in 2 seasons.

From here on out I guess we will have to put some kind of plastic membrane waterproof liner on the inside first. Grrrrrrr!

Did you have landscaping timbers from the Depot or elsewhere before?

We started our raised bed garden 20+ years ago. The oldest, original beds are still good. The ones we did 3, 5, 7 years ago have totally rotted and have had to be redone, and I know now they still will rot out in another year or 2. Why do they still call them landscaping timbers if there is not enough preservative to make them last more than a couple of years ?

My newest bed was even sprayed with a waterproofing preservative on the inside before we filled it, and it still was rotting away in 2 seasons.

From here on out I guess we will have to put some kind of plastic membrane waterproof liner on the inside first. Grrrrrrr!

I forget what the name of what we used the first time. They were presure treated, but we found out that they were only dipped in the stuff not whatever needed to be. I don't understand it all. Anyway they lasted about 10 years. I'm posting a picture of what they looked like last year.

post-8317-0-36095400-1366539170_thumb.jpg