Paulding.com

SEVERE WEATHER POSSIBLE TODAY........TORNADO WARNING

There is a storm system moving into Georgia expected to arrive with the first rains around 2-3 PM, the worst of the storm with winds expected to arrive around 6PM.

This storm will have lots of rain, high winds with straight-line winds up to 60 MPH and hail with the possibility of tornados. There were tornados in Missouri and Arkansas overnight.

Get your flashlights and candles ready in case you lose power. Make sure your cell phones and laptops are char.ged so you can stay in touch. And a weather band radio is always good to have.

Batten down the hatches and stay safe. I'm just praying it's not as bad as the one that came through on a Monday night about 3 weeks ago.

FROM FOX5

WEBSERADAR_NEW.gif

ATLANTA - A system moving in from the west could bring some severe weather to Georgia on Thursday.

According to FOX 5 Storm Team meteorologist Joanne Feldman, as the storm line moves in from the west, isolated storms could develop around 1 p.m. The main line will work its way into northwest Georgia between 5 and 7 p.m. and into the metro Atlanta area between 7 p.m. through midnight.

Some severe storms could be a part of that system. The main threat will come from strong winds, followed by hail, isolated tornadoes and flooding, says Feldman.

The rain and storms will clear out rapidly in the few hours before sunrise Friday, says Feldman.

Feldman says rainfall amounts will average 1 to 2 inches for many areas.

21937741_BG1.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Uh huh. Well when Katrina hit New Orleans, a Baptist preacher was forced to climb to the roof of his house to escape the flood waters. After a couple of hours a rescue boat pulls up and they yell fo

Where did you see the picture? Thank God we didn't have a microburst.   I bet Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah doesn't even know what a microburst is.        

Dear Paulding County: Perhaps you should read the story "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". Someday there will be some actual dangerous weather and we will all ignore your constant sirens. As for me, I trust m

Posted Images

THIS is what's headed this way.

BE PREPARED!

ST. LOUIS (AP) — Strong storms sweeping across the Midwest damaged homes and businesses in St. Louis, toppled mobile homes and ripped the roof off a Missouri church, while burying other areas in more than a foot of snow.

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon declared a state of emergency after the Wednesday night storms. By Thursday morning, crews were out to determine if tornadoes were to blame for damage in St. Louis' historic Hill area and other areas in eastern Missouri, according to the National Weather Service.

More than 24,000 utility customers are still without power in Missouri, mostly in the St. Louis area. There were scattered reports of injuries but no known fatalities.

To the north, ice and snow left thousands of homes and businesses in Minnesota and South Dakota without power on Wednesday — and more heavy wet snow was expected Thursday, forecasters said. A suspected tornado also caused damage in Arkansas.

OHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Do you have a basement?

Make sure you've got your phone charged!!

My phone is charged. Last storm, when I saw the tree's whipping around in a circle and couldn't see my neighbors house at all, the cable was going in and out, power was flickering on and off, then lost power. My cell phone wasn't working and it was fully charged. I couldn't call out at all.

The sad thing is, when I got the alert to take cover, it all ready passed. When it hit, I didn't know what the hell was going on. I was sitting on my bed smoking a cigarette, on the computer, watching TV, and looking out the window when all this was happening. It came that quick and left that quick. I was tripping.

My phone is charged. Last storm, when I saw the tree's whipping around in a circle and couldn't see my neighbors house at all, the cable was going in and out, power was flickering on and off, then lost power. My cell phone wasn't working and it was fully charged. I couldn't call out at all.

The sad thing is, when I got the alert to take cover, it all ready passed. When it hit, I didn't know what the hell was going on. I was sitting on my bed smoking a cigarette, on the computer, watching TV, and looking out the window when all this was happening. It came that quick and left that quick. I was tripping.

You and me both! I lost cable and was looking out the window when the microburst hit! It was scary as hell! and then it was over. And seriously, for that type of storm, a microburst, there's not much you can do. There's no warning and by the time it hits, it's over.

You and me both! I lost cable and was looking out the window when the microburst hit! It was scary as hell! and then it was over. And seriously, for that type of storm, a microburst, there's not much you can do. There's no warning and by the time it hits, it's over.

You know Lowrider, I appreciate you helping me with this storm coming, and helping me to calm down. I do have a neighbor that will be keeping in touch with me. She said if it does get bad enough, she will either come to my house or me to hers and we will sit through it together, so I won't be alone. When family is with me, I'm normally okay, I only freak when I'm alone.

You know Lowrider, I appreciate you helping me with this storm coming, and helping me to calm down. I do have a neighbor that will be keeping in touch with me. She said if it does get bad enough, she will either come to my house or me to hers and we will sit through it together, so I won't be alone. When family is with me, I'm normally okay, I only freak when I'm alone.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. As long as everybody is home, I'm fine. Just hope hubby gets home before it gets bad.

Last storm we had I was home with my 3 boys by myself through the first part when it started getting bad. I was scared to death. Luckily, I was only home with the kids by myself for a few minutes before hubby got home.

I'm glad you've got your neighbor. Just stay tuned to a local channel and keep an eye out on here, I'll be updating, especially once it gets into Birmingham. They're expecting it to be bad there, and once it hits Birmingham it's not that far from hitting us, depending on the speed of the storm.

Lowrider,

Does a Microburst have anything to do with a tornado forming, or is it actually some form of a tornado? That is one time, I missed my timing to have a nap. lol

Microburst

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A microburst is a very localized column of sinking air, producing damaging divergent and straight-line winds at the surface that are similar to, but distinguishable from, tornadoes, which generally have convergent damage. There are two types of microbursts: wet microbursts and dry microbursts. They go through three stages in their life cycle: the downburst, outburst, and cushion stages. The scale and suddenness of a microburst makes it a great danger to aircraft due to the low-level wind shear caused by its gust front, with several fatal crashes having been attributed to the phenomenon over the past several decades.

A microburst often has high winds that can knock over fully grown trees. They usually last for a duration of a couple of seconds to several minutes.

275px-Microburstnasa.JPG

Okay, for me to understand what you just posted: Basically from the picture, I saw a wall cloud, then the burst. Reading the description, the mircroburst, was a form of a tornado, or a beginning of a tornado??? Gee's I'm sorry Lowrider, laymen terms please!

Okay, for me to understand what you just posted: Basically from the picture, I saw a wall cloud, then the burst. Reading the description, the mircroburst, was a form of a tornado, or a beginning of a tornado??? Gee's I'm sorry Lowrider, laymen terms please!

No, nothing to do with a tornado. It's a storm all in its own.

I think we had a wet microburst with the last storm, and like I said earlier, these aren't predictable, and there's no preparing for it. The only thing you can do is go to the basement or whatever your safe place is. But like with the last one, by the time I looked out the window and saw my full grown trees bent over and the hail falling, it was over.

.This is a WET microburst.

250px-Wetmicroburst.jpg

I was left with asking "What the hell was that?" and Feelip suggested it was a microburst and after reading about it I tend to agree.

Thank you!!

I will never know how they tell the difference.

When I was reading the definition of a microburst, and they mentioned tornado, I thought it had something to do with it. I just learned something. Now, to remember this information. lol

First storms should arrive by 3PM.......the worst and largest storm with the cold front will arrive in NW GA about 8:00PM, later for us. According to FOX5

That means we will be in the dark for this storm. I hate being in the dark with tornados trying to form. I will be glued to the TV until it's over. I do not go to bed when this kind of storm is approaching.

Hang in there Lucky. I'll let you know when it starts getting bad LOL

First storms should arrive by 3PM.......the worst and largest storm with the cold front will arrive in NW GA about 8:00PM, later for us. According to FOX5

That means we will be in the dark for this storm. I hate being in the dark with tornados trying to form. I will be glued to the TV until it's over. I do not go to bed when this kind of storm is approaching.

Hang in there Lucky. I'll let you know when it starts getting bad LOL

LOL, I'm a wimp when it comes to bad storms when I'm by myself.

ugghhhh i hate this..... the last one got our power, we were not prepared, living here.... funny thing is, i had things prepared for mama here for storms. i guess i will turn the weather radio on, and get the regular phone out incase power goes out. and all the flash lights.... lawdy...

No, nothing to do with a tornado. It's a storm all in its own.

I think we had a wet microburst with the last storm, and like I said earlier, these aren't predictable, and there's no preparing for it. The only thing you can do is go to the basement or whatever your safe place is. But like with the last one, by the time I looked out the window and saw my full grown trees bent over and the hail falling, it was over.

.This is a WET microburst.

250px-Wetmicroburst.jpg

I was left with asking "What the hell was that?" and Feelip suggested it was a microburst and after reading about it I tend to agree.

If you remember the Delta L-1011 that crashed at DFW in 1985 it was caused by a microburst. For some reason this crash has always stuck with me. I think I know why. In 1975 I was hired by Delta. I wanted a job with them to work on airplanes and they wanted to hire me as a flight attendant. In 1975 there were very few male f/a and I was a macho, football player type that wasn't about to be a "stewardess" so I turned them down. Stupid? Maybe, maybe not. I have always thought that I would have likely been on that flight if I had taken the job. 10 years seniority would have been about right to have been working an L-10.

Here's a link: My link

Now back to your regular programming. ;)

Tornadoes suck air up.

Microbursts blow air down.

Both can have very high wind speeds.

Gosh--I have never seen so many folks freaked out by storms.

I love nothing better than a good storm--and yes, years ago a tornado come right thru my mothers front yard, so I have been around them.

I just don't like driving in storms--because of all the idiots around me.

I have lived in a mobile home and have never took cover. I guess I am just a believer of when it's your time--ther's not a damn thing you can do about it???

• Like 1

I love nothing better than a good storm--and yes, years ago a tornado come right thru my mothers front yard, so I have been around them.

I have lived in a mobile home and have never took cover. I guess I am just a believer of when it's your time--ther's not a damn thing you can do about it???

I just believe in being prepared, whether it's a thunder storm, rain storm, hail storm, snow storm or ice storm.

And I do believe being aware does save lives.

There are far fewer deaths today than 10 and especially 20 years ago because of being aware and sirens.

Whoops. I was out grocery shopping though luckily it didn't happen unless it did and we missed it. I've got to gather some stuff up in case it gets bad later. I usually have the kids pack a small backpack each with a change of clothes, some snacks, a flashlight etc. Then I pack another one with some first aid stuff, snacks, change of clothes for the husband and I and flashlights/batteries. I keep a 24 pack of bottled water in the basement.

Uh huh. Well when Katrina hit New Orleans, a Baptist preacher was forced to climb to the roof of his house to escape the flood waters. After a couple of hours a rescue boat pulls up and they yell for the preacher to jump in. "GOD will save me" the preacher yells.

An hour later a helicopter drops a basket down to him and a voice from the helicopter yells "Climb in the basket." "GOD will save me" yells the preacher once again.

By this time the water has all but covered the roof and the house is beginning to be washed from its foundation when yet another rescue boat pulls up. And yet again the preacher yells "GOD will save me."

Just then the house washes away and the preacher drowns. He gets to heaven and says "God, I thought you were going to save me" to which God answers "I sent two boats and a helicopter, whadya want?"

The moral of the story: You might not go before your time, but every now and then God sends an IQ test to see if He needs to shock the gene pool.

• Like 3

OMG, where on earth did this heat come from. It woke me up from my nap.

And to the poster about afraid from storms. I've been in 3 of them that caused severe damage. ENOUGH and 2 of them I was by myself. So, when there is a storm coming and it is a violent one, like the one coming, yes, I get scared, especially when I'm alone. Oh, one was a hurricane, and one was a tornado.

Uh huh. Well when Katrina hit New Orleans, a Baptist preacher was forced to climb to the roof of his house to escape the flood waters. After a couple of hours a rescue boat pulls up and they yell for the preacher to jump in. "GOD will save me" the preacher yells.

An hour later a helicopter drops a basket down to him and a voice from the helicopter yells "Climb in the basket." "GOD will save me" yells the preacher once again.

By this time the water has all but covered the roof and the house is beginning to be washed from its foundation when yet another rescue boat pulls up. And yet again the preacher yells "GOD will save me."

Just then the house washes away and the preacher drowns. He gets to heaven and says "God, I thought you were going to save me" to which God answers "I sent two boats and a helicopter, whadya want?"

The moral of the story: You might not go before your time, but every now and then God sends an IQ test to see if He needs to shock the gene pool.

Oh good Lord - you have a way with words feelip! :lol: :lol:

I hope everyone stays safe!