Paulding.com

I need the BEST cut throat Family Law Attorney

How about the money goes into an acct that cant be touched until the child turns 18. I know 150 isn't much but the ex that gets the 1000 (an i no you don't) or more a month an vacations an new cars every 2 years an only wants the cash for themselves is ridiculous thats what drives most of us crazy. Unfortunately it can't be set that way an the parent getting a large sum that way uses it for themselves an at the end of 18 years an 350000 buks later nothing to sho for it

Oh my, how to answer this one. The money is to pay for the part of the childs support, not to give to the child themselves so requesting that the money is put in an account for the child is totally unrealistic. As far as the custodial parent being able to buy cars or take vacations, then if the non custodial parent is paying for part of the support of the child, then yes if the custodial parent has the money to do these things, then why not? It takes a lot to raise a child. Just the day to day alone. Add up your rent/mortgage, utilities, insurance, food, clothes, etc and divide it by how many are in the home to get how much is for each person. Then take the child's portion and divide it in half and if the non custodial parent is not paying that amount or more, then they are not paying their share. And if they are paying more, then they are increasing the lifestyle of their child by providing a little extra for things like gifts, shopping, school activities, etc. And if this frees up a little of the custodial parents money for a few extras like a newer car to drive the child around in, or a vacation from time to time then that is good. And nothing to show for it????? That comment alone.... wow.... you have a child that is raised in a good home to show for it!!

Oh yeah I forgot to add if their was cheating involved I say the one who cheated should get stuck paying the max amount. I don't like cheaters.

CHILD SUPPORT is not for the punnishment of the ex... it is for the SUPPORT of the CHILD. do not make the child suffer for the mistakes of the adults

• Like 3

Oh my, how to answer this one. The money is to pay for the part of the childs support, not to give to the child themselves so requesting that the money is put in an account for the child is totally unrealistic. As far as the custodial parent being able to buy cars or take vacations, then if the non custodial parent is paying for part of the support of the child, then yes if the custodial parent has the money to do these things, then why not? It takes a lot to raise a child. Just the day to day alone. Add up your rent/mortgage, utilities, insurance, food, clothes, etc and divide it by how many are in the home to get how much is for each person. Then take the child's portion and divide it in half and if the non custodial parent is not paying that amount or more, then they are not paying their share. And if they are paying more, then they are increasing the lifestyle of their child by providing a little extra for things like gifts, shopping, school activities, etc. And if this frees up a little of the custodial parents money for a few extras like a newer car to drive the child around in, or a vacation from time to time then that is good. And nothing to show for it????? That comment alone.... wow.... you have a child that is raised in a good home to show for it!!

CHILD SUPPORT is not for the punnishment of the ex... it is for the SUPPORT of the CHILD. do not make the child suffer for the mistakes of the adults

But wouldn't the parent be paying for a place to live if there was a kid or not, so does the kid factor into that? I'm not against child support at all, but just as an example, I watch Teen Mom 2. The one girl is divorced with twins. She has also remarried another man. Right after getting married to the 2nd husband, and buying a new home she takes her ex back to court to increase child support because things are getting expensive. And they tack on an ADDITIONAL $400 to the fathers child support. Now, to me in that case, the mother decided to increase her cost of living, and she took on a spouse who is paying part of her expenses. In that situation it looks like she's hitting the baby lottery. Got a new husband with his income, and got the baby daddy to cough up an additional $400.

^^ yea we did this with his ex... and she shut her mouth really quick.. .you see he was paying the childs entire portion. This doesn't include new clothes, school supplies, paying for sports and other activities.... that wasn't included in the child support...

Don't get me started on Health and Dental.... yeah... we pay that part too. But, he's a great dad. Then she wants 1/2 of the $20 co-pay.. lol

If I did not have kids I would not have a 4 bedroom house. Now that my last one has gone off to college, the hubby and I are looking to sell and move smaller as soon as the market changes. My monthly mortgage (if I had one) would lower significantly with being able to live in a much smaller house in an area where I do not have to worry about school districts. In addition my power bill is half what it was before the kids moved out. Not to mention the food bill. So yes, the kids DO figure into it.

Before I married my current hubby (my 2nd hubby) I was supporting my kids on my own with help from child support. $410/month. I chose to move us out of our cramped apartment and into a house where the kids could have their own rooms instead of a girl and 2 boys in the same room together. Are you saying that I should have stayed in a tiny apartment with 3 kids? Also, are you saying I should have stayed single instead of marrying the man I love because it would have been unfair to my ex?

I think child support should be capped at 500 unless daycare is involved, diapers or formula. I'm sorry but after a child reaches 10 the cost goes down. No daycare, diapers..... I hope food and clothes do not cost 1000 a month!

just wait until the teen years!! oh... and be ready to take out a mortgage for their senior year!!

I can't recommend anyone but I can tell you who NOT to use. If you are interested send me a PM. I'll not mention her name on here though when I was telling my friend about the "lawyer with the nasty dirty stinky home office complete with dogs running around, piles of dog hair and dog pee stained carpet" the lady behind me in line knew exactly who I was talking about :rofl:

If I did not have kids I would not have a 4 bedroom house. Now that my last one has gone off to college, the hubby and I are looking to sell and move smaller as soon as the market changes. My monthly mortgage (if I had one) would lower significantly with being able to live in a much smaller house in an area where I do not have to worry about school districts. In addition my power bill is half what it was before the kids moved out. Not to mention the food bill. So yes, the kids DO figure into it.

Before I married my current hubby (my 2nd hubby) I was supporting my kids on my own with help from child support. $410/month. I chose to move us out of our cramped apartment and into a house where the kids could have their own rooms instead of a girl and 2 boys in the same room together. Are you saying that I should have stayed in a tiny apartment with 3 kids? Also, are you saying I should have stayed single instead of marrying the man I love because it would have been unfair to my ex?

Is it fair that your ex should have to pay you the same if you are no longer paying the same for your housing because now a new spouse is paying? Again, I'm just talking about the situation I saw on TV. There didn't seem to be anything fair about that agreement for the dad. He only got to see his kids on weekends, had to pay $400 ADDITIONAL a month, and his ex wife had a whole new income from her new husband. I try to see things from all sides. A lot of people talk about men should support their kids, and I completely agree with that, but it shouldn't be where one parent is living in a shack paying more than they can afford while the other side is taking advantage of the situation. And in this particular case, that's what it looks like.

I'm not saying that is what the original poster is doing at all. I'm just fascinated how some can get thousands in child support and others are getting $150.

How about the money goes into an acct that cant be touched until the child turns 18. I know 150 isn't much but the ex that gets the 1000 (an i no you don't) or more a month an vacations an new cars every 2 years an only wants the cash for themselves is ridiculous thats what drives most of us crazy. Unfortunately it can't be set that way an the parent getting a large sum that way uses it for themselves an at the end of 18 years an 350000 buks later nothing to sho for it

That's what my ex & I do for our son :) He has a savings account that any child support goes into so when he is older he will have money towards college or a car or whatever.

But wouldn't the parent be paying for a place to live if there was a kid or not, so does the kid factor into that? I'm not against child support at all, but just as an example, I watch Teen Mom 2. The one girl is divorced with twins. She has also remarried another man. Right after getting married to the 2nd husband, and buying a new home she takes her ex back to court to increase child support because things are getting expensive. And they tack on an ADDITIONAL $400 to the fathers child support. Now, to me in that case, the mother decided to increase her cost of living, and she took on a spouse who is paying part of her expenses. In that situation it looks like she's hitting the baby lottery. Got a new husband with his income, and got the baby daddy to cough up an additional $400.

That's my theory too. I understand the money is to help support the child but truth is the custodial parent will need a home, utilities, food etc. I understand that some people can't make those payments on their own but on the other hand, if they are that bad off shouldn't the child be with the person that can best support them?

I'm just thankful that my ex and I are in agreement (so far...knock on wood and all) with all issues involving our son and child support.

Punishing kids for the imbecile behavior of the parents is horrible. Child support is not a payment for the mother, it's not payment for visitation, it's to support the child. You know, food clothing, activities, school, shoes.........I assure you if that child lived in the home with both parents it would cost Dad way more than $150.00 per month.

I feel so bad for the kids in these situations.

• Like 3

Is it fair that your ex should have to pay you the same if you are no longer paying the same for your housing because now a new spouse is paying? Again, I'm just talking about the situation I saw on TV. There didn't seem to be anything fair about that agreement for the dad. He only got to see his kids on weekends, had to pay $400 ADDITIONAL a month, and his ex wife had a whole new income from her new husband. I try to see things from all sides. A lot of people talk about men should support their kids, and I completely agree with that, but it shouldn't be where one parent is living in a shack paying more than they can afford while the other side is taking advantage of the situation. And in this particular case, that's what it looks like.

I'm not saying that is what the original poster is doing at all. I'm just fascinated how some can get thousands in child support and others are getting $150.

my new hubby does not have kids... at all. so how is it fair to him that now that we are married that the biological father be able to shirk his responsibilies? the ex is still the biological father. nothing changed there. and why should my hubby live in a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 kids? if we, with our incomes, can afford to live somewhere better, then why shouldnt we? so, we should give up a more comfortable home just because it hurts the feelings of my ex? it is none of his business.

There are a whole lot of people who don't know how support is calculated....

They also changed it a few years back and take into affect both parents incomes. So it the primary custody holder makes a boat load more then the other person they award them less child support.

I know you are looking for a cut throat attorney.

I encourage you to listen to attorneys as you interview them. I know from experiance the courts generally will be looking out for the benefit of the child more so than to allow one parent to win over the other.

If you encounter an attorney who wishes to base the case on your abilities to care for the child... Period... Please listen to this attorney's advice.

20 years from now the parent who chose to care for the child's well being over personal win's will be the real winner.

Edited by mojo413
  • Like 4

Ok all remarks aside I will just tell you from experience you have nothing to worry about. Their has to be an issue with the child (problem) For custody to be changed. Once those papers are signed that is it, to get a custody change is practically impossible unless their is a big issue, I went through it. An yes the judge will probly garnish an get you back pay. I would not worry alot about this issue. I know I prolly got you little irritated with a few comments but I was just throwing couple things out their cause so many parents look at CS as an extra paycheck (NOT YOU) i just wanted to see what remarks I would get. I will throw in also jsust from another comment on here not toward you because 150 is not much, but just because the ex an child need a place to live doesnt mean that other ex needs to pay for the whole thing then the other ex cant offord to live anywhere, but we can go on an on with this subject...but to the original poster I agree with you 150 isn't much to pay you should get it unless he had complete 50/50 custody. Unfortunately you have to respond to his suit but dont forget when he looses he will also pay for your attorney fee.

I am guessing she will get the same she is getting now, nothing... But usually losing your license or going to jail is a wake up call to do the right thing and take care of your kid.. Just a guess... :pardon:

I was talking to a guy once about his situation, and he was unable to keep a job because of not having a license and being put back in jail for no support. The ex finally said she would quit going after him if he would sign over his parental rights.

Unless he can prove you to be an unfit Mother he will not only lose the case if 150 was in the original divorce settlement he will also owe you for back support. The simple fact that he has not supported the child for five years will go against him. He may well be charged for court cost.

If you've been a good Mother you don't need any special hot-shot lawyer, this is a slam dunk.

* 150 a month child support is really low these days unless he's working for minimum wage. Your lawyer will ask the court to kick that up. He's going to end up to be really sorry he didn't try to work with you instead of starting a court battle.

I know this is a rare occurrence but I agree with you. Its a slam dunk unless she has been documented as fruit cake. :drinks:

I know this is a rare occurrence but I agree with you. Its a slam dunk unless she has been documented as fruit cake. :drinks:

Well, I am a little nutty J/K. I have always been kind to the ex. My Son begged to have him over for Xmas and thanksgiving dinners, Xmas morning brunch, lake trips, Christmas Eve services, dinner in Dec at west ridge ect. My son has always wanted my new husband and I to include his father. His father has not dated since we separated in 2005, and is all alone. I've always wanted my Son happy. So I was pretty freaked out to get served with court papers for full custody ( his reasoning is I beat my son daily and put his life at risk daily) ....the kid has never even been spanked by either us in his life.

I also work with 90 kids a day at work. And I've been employed there for 8 years. I'm a pretty darn stable person thank goodness. And thanks to everyone we found who we are hiring.

JSYK, Corey was ordered pay an additional $300. His support went from $500 to $800 because he got a raise and he wanted everything in writing. :D

Not hard to spot who on this thread has had to pay or is still paying child support is it ! laugh.gif

No need to complain about it guys, it's a waste of time trying to explain how unfairly you think the situation is your ex has you by the short hairs and rest assured she knows it.

As the saying goes " Hell has no fury like that of a scorned Women" good.gif

Hopefully you will also address the issue of ONLY $150/mo child support. Good Grief - Even 25 years ago $200 was the minimum I knew of!!! In this day and this economy $150 is nothing to support a child.

I received $175 per month, per child waay back in 1987 when I divorced my 1st husband. My son-in-law pays just under $800.00 per month for two children. Of course, that leaves almost nothing for my daughter and their son together after necessities - but his child support is deducted from his paycheck by his employer and paid directly to Child Support Services. Incidentally, he was not married to either of the other women when the children were born....so he had the child support set up through Child Support Services himself....just for his protection. And, if they get behind CSS will suspend their driver's license....IJS

• Like 1

Please tell me you are using birth control now......

That is really none of your business. She divorced this loser for a reason and is obviously married to someone else. If they choose to use birth control or not is their choice.

BTW - "Loser" played just as much a part of making the son as she did and has just as much responsibility in providing for that child as she does.

I don't understand why some people on this board feel that it is their right to bash someone whenever a person asks for help or advice.

• Like 1

When I got divorced in 1984, my son got $100.00 per mo. We lived in WPB at the time. When I stated the cost of living was much higher then KS. I was told that was where he lived so that's what they went by.

What I don't get is, there wasn't an issue up until now. Now all of a sudden the OP is now demanding the child support. Not only the back support, but an increase. What changed? If the original amount wasn't being paid, why would he pay an increased amount? As far as the whole I'm going to sue you for custody, yeah what ever. Unless there really is something that he has on the mom.......

I do hope that the child has been able to visit with his dad. I don't agree with using the child support as a pay to visit game.

When I got divorced in 1984, my son got $100.00 per mo. We lived in WPB at the time. When I stated the cost of living was much higher then KS. I was told that was where he lived so that's what they went by.

What I don't get is, there wasn't an issue up until now. Now all of a sudden the OP is now demanding the child support. Not only the back support, but an increase. What changed? If the original amount wasn't being paid, why would he pay an increased amount? As far as the whole I'm going to sue you for custody, yeah what ever. Unless there really is something that he has on the mom.......

I do hope that the child has been able to visit with his dad. I don't agree with using the child support as a pay to visit game.

I have never stated that I wanted to up the child support. I just wanted him to pay. So I filed for garnishment and that is when he hits with the custody case. I think the 150 is fair. This has never been about the money for me. I've never wanted drama with this Man and until now have covered my Son's health insurance on my own but it greatly increased so I have been forced to seek the child support that was ordered to help pay for medical almost 6 years ago.

I have never stated that I wanted to up the child support. I just wanted him to pay. So I filed for garnishment and that is when he hits with the custody case. I think the 150 is fair. This has never been about the money for me. I've never wanted drama with this Man and until now have covered my Son's health insurance on my own but it greatly increased so I have been forced to seek the child support that was ordered to help pay for medical almost 6 years ago.

OK, so your not seeking an increase. As far as drama.....well sounds like you already have it.

A man who files for custody of his child shouldn't automatically be labeled as someone who wants to avoid paying child support.

Maybe he just wants custody of his child, and maybe he's uncomfortable with the environment he sees his child being raised in.

That is all.

I think child support should be capped at 500 unless daycare is involved, diapers or formula. I'm sorry but after a child reaches 10 the cost goes down. No daycare, diapers..... I hope food and clothes do not cost 1000 a month!

Whoa - you must live in a different world than I do. We have a grown daughter and grown twin sons and I can tell you positively, as they grew older, expenses grew higher. There was football, cheerleading, baseball, softball, homecoming, school club activities, church activities, proms, automobile insurance when they started driving, senior year and graduation expenses, college expenses, just to mention a few. And the clothing....it got more expensive with each passing year!

I wish you the best of luck with your case but after years of working as a family law paralegal, I realize there are ALWAYS two sides to every story.

I am certainly not dispensing legal advice as I am not a licensed attorney nor do I claim to be but please research Georgia Child Support Guidelines - it truly is "black and white".

I just really hate it for the kids when one or the other party attempts to bring so much "drama" into it. This might possibly make the parent feel better but I can pretty much guarantee you that it does nothing but harm the child, confuses them, and makes it very uncomfortable for them.

If you don't question your parenting abilities and believe yourself to be a fit parent, simply want the correct amount of child support from the other parent in order to enable your child to have the appropriate food, clothing, shelter, etc., then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Worrying about anything other than what is just and appropriate for your child's health, education, welfare and well-being is simply a waste a time. The "best interests" of the child should ALWAYS be what is most important.

• Like 2

A man who files for custody of his child shouldn't automatically be labeled as someone who wants to avoid paying child support.

Maybe he just wants custody of his child, and maybe he's uncomfortable with the environment he sees his child being raised in.

That is all.

Well he has been comfortable and spent a lot of time in my home for the last 5 years with my new Husband, step Daughter and new Daughter so if he was that uncomfortable he prob should have spoken up. Instead he waited until I had him garnished what was court ordered. I have so many messages and texts telling me what an awesome Mother I am. And he has always kinda barged in in our life so seriously, he has been fine.

Well he has been comfortable and spent a lot of time in my home for the last 5 years with my new Husband, step Daughter and new Daughter so if he was that uncomfortable he prob should have spoken up. Instead he waited until I had him garnished what was court ordered. I have so many messages and texts telling me what an awesome Mother I am. And he has always kinda barged in in our life so seriously, he has been fine.

I'm sorry you felt the need to address me directly, because what I posted wasn't aimed directly at you.

I'm glad that all of your Internet friends think you're awesome.

I was speaking of a personal situation where a young man dear to me has filed for custody because the situation his son is being subjected to is intolerable. He has filed for custody, and immediately the mom's family started talking smack about why the only reason he'd filed was to avoid paying child support.

I know this is your topic, sweets, but it's not all always about you. ;)

• Like 1

I'm sorry you felt the need to address me directly, because what I posted wasn't aimed directly at you.

I'm glad that all of your Internet friends think you're awesome.

I was speaking of a personal situation where a young man dear to me has filed for custody because the situation his son is being subjected to is intolerable. He has filed for custody, and immediately the mom's family started talking smack about why the only reason he'd filed was to avoid paying child support.

I know this is your topic, sweets, but it's not all always about you. ;)

Thanks Tabby but I don't have Internet friends. I'm almost 40 and a little too old lol. I meant numerous recent emails and texts from my ex saying I'm a great and wonderful mother. Before he was garnished at least.

Thanks Tabby but I don't have Internet friends. I'm almost 40 and a little too old lol. I meant numerous recent emails and texts from my ex saying I'm a great and wonderful mother. Before he was garnished at least.

I don't doubt you care for your kids. I never questioned that, nor will I.

Chillax. I wish you well.

If he's trying to avoid paying support, he should be hog tied.

My ex never paid. $600 a month for three kids he was ordered to pay, of which he payed $600--one month. For years I did it all on my own...so I am not unsympathetic. In your situation? Maybe he filed to avoid CS payments. However, you have the ability to garnish his wages, so avoidance isn't really an issue, right?

And how, if you can garnish his wages now, has he avoided payment for the last five years?

Well never mind, I really don't need an answer. But that sure doesn't make any sense. They can garnish his wages now for the additional support but couldn't get the amount he is ordered to pay before this?

My point was that not every parent filing for custody files because they wish to avoid child support. Sometimes they think that their child is in a sucky situation. Good for you if your child isn't. :)

• Like 1