Paulding.com

Chickens for eggs

Does anyone know off hand the law about having chickens? I am wondering if I could have a couple of chickens in a coup in my backyard for eggs. I live in a non covenant subdivision outside of city limits on approx 1/2 acre lot. I am putting in my garden now and I do know that you can have gardens in not only the back yard but the front (I am planning an herb garden for the front yard) and am trying to get us a self sustaining as is reasonably possible. I want to help out with our food bills as much as I can.

By ordinance you cannot. I learned this the hard way when an idiot neighbor not at all effected by my chickens turned me in. I had to pay a lot of money to have a variance granted to keep my backyard flock. I believe it is something this county is uneducated on. The is a difference between a chicken house and a backyard flock.

• Like 1

By ordinance you cannot. I learned this the hard way when an idiot neighbor not at all effected by my chickens turned me in. I had to pay a lot of money to have a variance granted to keep my backyard flock. I believe it is something this county is uneducated on. The is a difference between a chicken house and a backyard flock.

Is this true for the whole county? I know several people with chickens in the county, are they all illegal? What is the difference between a chicken house and a backyard flock? Is there somewhere online we can go to look at the ordinances?

Municode.com will show you the local ordinances for most things. One thing when looking at these, is they mostly address the "chicken house" that you typically think of with hundreds of chickens in them. There's not much in them about having a couple of chickens on residential lot, but there is crazy setbacks which are great for a 100' long chicken house, don't work too well for someone wanting a small pen in their backyard.

TBH the best thing might be to get a local law passed to cover having chickens in a residential lot. There's plenty of examples of them out there. Douglas, Fulton, Carrollton, few other places I can't think of right now have code on the books covering it. Most say something to the extent that it needs to be in the backyard, no roosters, max of 4-10 hens, have to be penned up in some manner, need 1/3 acre or more, and don't annoy your neighbors with smell or noise (i.e. keep them clean/no roosters). You could probably get support and present something similar with plenty of support, and push for it.

Course, this is one reason I'm looking to move out to a more rural location myself to property zoned agriculture, so that I won't have any restrictions on keeping livestock or growing my own food. Not much I can do where I am at now.

• Like 3

Hope this link works:

My link

Page 44 has the zoning laws.

I am all for helping the County to realize that there is a difference in chicken houses and backyard flocks. I just do not have the time to commit to spearheading this effort.

The City of Atlanta allows chickens, but Paulding County does not. Go figure!

• Like 1

I have 5 chickens in my back yard. We love our chicks. The mom is sitting on 5 eggs right now. As long as the neighbors dont complain, we are alright. We dont live in a subdivision and they are fenced in so they dont run to the neighbors yard.

I have 5 chickens in my back yard. We love our chicks. The mom is sitting on 5 eggs right now. As long as the neighbors dont complain, we are alright. We dont live in a subdivision and they are fenced in so they dont run to the neighbors yard.

Do you have a rooster?

Do what I did....tell your neighbors what you are wanting to do and ask them if they have any problems with it. I'm on about 3/4 of an acre in a non covenant subdivision well outside city limits. I told my neighbors and they said as long as I didn't get a rooster they didn't care.

Which they shouldn't anyway since they beyond break the law but you know how that goes. :wacko:

We don't have our coop or chickens yet but we are planning on keeping it small.....4 chickens. It can't possibly stink any worse than my neighbors multitude of dogs and them not cleaning the crap up.

If you have a fenced yard, all you need to build is a coop, up off the ground, which can be heated in the winter and well ventilated in the summer, with a ramp outside and a door.

Open the door in the mornings, and the birds will go out on their own and "scratch" during the day. At sun down they will head for the coop all on their own. Hence, they will do most of their pooping scattered around where they "scratch". You can throw out some rye seed in places and rake it in, and when it germinates they will eat it.

If your yard is a decent size, you can gets some plastic fencing 2-3 feet tall and just fence off an area with some simple 1x2 stakes and attach the fencing to them with cable ties to keep them in a certain area. 10 days later move it to the other side of the coop and this will scatter the poop enough so it is not collecting in one spot and stinking.

Do what I did....tell your neighbors what you are wanting to do and ask them if they have any problems with it. I'm on about 3/4 of an acre in a non covenant subdivision well outside city limits. I told my neighbors and they said as long as I didn't get a rooster they didn't care.

Which they shouldn't anyway since they beyond break the law but you know how that goes. :wacko:

We don't have our coop or chickens yet but we are planning on keeping it small.....4 chickens. It can't possibly stink any worse than my neighbors multitude of dogs and them not cleaning the crap up.

Just a warning, even with direct neighbors saying it is OK, those not right next to you (across or far behind) can still complain. Even neighbors that act OK with it today can change their mind and turn you in. Had it not been for 2 children that loved the chickens, I would not have fought the issue and had soup.

I know surepip is a chicken guru, but I do not heat our coop or use artificial light in the winter. I let nature be nature and let our girls decide if they want to molt or keep laying.

Just a warning, even with direct neighbors saying it is OK, those not right next to you (across or far behind) can still complain. Even neighbors that act OK with it today can change their mind and turn you in. Had it not been for 2 children that loved the chickens, I would not have fought the issue and had soup.

I know surepip is a chicken guru, but I do not heat our coop or use artificial light in the winter. I let nature be nature and let our girls decide if they want to molt or keep laying.

No one can see our yard except for the people on the one side of us....if the dare to turn me in I'll be forced to reciprocate. With all the criminals err relatives coming and going I'm sure they have drugs somewhere.

I called the Marshall's office who the. Sent me to code enforcement for the City of Dallas. You can have them and I can't remember the exact allowable numbers. However you can have them

One of my neighbors had chickens and roosters. I did not mind the chickens but was sick of the roosters, as they would start going off at 4am every morning. We asked the owners a number of times if he could please get rid of the roosters...he never did. Code enforcement said they are NOT allowed to have chickens/roosters and told them to remove them. The eventually did. Code enforcement said you had to have 4.2 acres of land in order to have them.