Paulding.com

"Ear plugs" just my bill-paying humble opinion

Soooo, ate at a restaurant ( who I will not name, though I let my opinion let known) where the server had these HUGE, gross ear plug things in their ears, like earrings - anyone else find these totally gross? Such a HUGE sign of stupidity to me, my kids and everyone else at the table recoiled in horror at their introduction. Seriously, what is wrong with kids that they think this is cool, so stupid! Beginning to question any restaurant who would hire these folks as front line servers...unemployment is at an all time high, right?. Where do they get the idea that we all want to see there adoloscent stupid mistakes during the dinner hour? When I started in the work force back in the 90's we were told to cover up or take out stupid piercings, thank god, these poor kids are going to have these HUGE holes in the droopy ears forever!!

• Like 1

Soooo, ate at a restaurant ( who I will not name, though I let my opinion let known) where the server had these HUGE, gross ear plug things in their ears, like earrings - anyone else find these totally gross? Such a HUGE sign of stupidity to me, my kids and everyone else at the table recoiled in horror at their introduction. Seriously, what is wrong with kids that they think this is cool, so stupid! Beginning to question any restaurant who would hire these folks as front line servers...unemployment is at an all time high, right?. Where do they get the idea that we all want to see there adoloscent stupid mistakes during the dinner hour? When I started in the work force back in the 90's we were told to cover up or take out stupid piercings, thank god, these poor kids are going to have these HUGE holes in the droopy ears forever!!

In the future I suggest you ask for a server without outlandish body piercings. The servers have a choice in how they wish to decorate their bodies and you have a choice to not be groced out while you eat. The manager has a choice in selecting servers that will appeal to the clientele he wishes to attract.

• Like 2

In the future I suggest you ask for a server without outlandish body piercings. The servers have a choice in how they wish to decorate their bodies and you have a choice to not be groced out while you eat. The manager has a choice in selecting servers that will appeal to the clientele he wishes to attract.

Right on all counts!!!

• Like 1

People get their panties in a wad over the dumbest things. If my kids ever recoil in horror while meeting a person because of the way they appear, I will be sure to give them a good talking to about not judging others afterward. I would be ashamed. I think they're stupid too, but to each Their own.

• Like 11

When I was a pre-teen back in the 70's I'd go round and round with my old man about the length of my hair, "When you gonna get it cut?", "It's too long!", etc. The older I get the more I find that I'm turning into my Dad (and it's not a bad thing) but one thing I won't do is become one of these old fuddy-duddies that sits around complaining about todays styles. To each his own. JMHO

• Like 1

I was talking with my doctor the other day and he says....

"You know it amazes me how people look when they are applying for a job. I had one young lady come in and she had piercings on her eyebrows, one in her nose, one in her tongue and one in her lip. She asked me if I was hiring, and I said 'Not anymore.'"

Appearance does matter in the work place. What you do on your own time is yours.

JMHO

• Like 5

Don't like piercings, don't get one. It's as simple as that.

There is nothing wrong with the gromments in the ears. They make it much easier to tie them on back of the truck, when there is no room inside for them to ride. :lol:

Besides, their ears will fall off before they get old enough to really look bad.

People get their panties in a wad over the dumbest things. If my kids ever recoil in horror while meeting a person because of the way they appear, I will be sure to give them a good talking to about not judging others afterward. I would be ashamed. I think they're stupid too, but to each Their own.

Exactly.

I guess I have more important things to worry about than what someone chooses to do with their earlobes.

• Like 2

Here is my opinion, which is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

I realize that these type of things are now the style among some people.

I also realize that looking as if you fell face first into a tackle box does not affect how well you do your job.

But I have always had a problem with someone who has facial piercings serving me food.

I understand that this is my issue and have never complained about it, but it still bothers me. I don't know why.

I guess the train has gone to far down the track to back up now, but I wish we had not relaxed out standards in the work place to where anything goes.

A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) when I worked in the grocery business, you had to wear dark pants, white shirt and a tie, even if you worked on the night stock crew.

I think it would not hurt to return to a few of those standards that have been let go over the past 25 years.

But then again, I could be wrong.....nah, I'm right. :)

• Like 2

Really? :wacko:

I think this is one of the most asinine things I've read on the internet all day...and that's saying something.

Your server wears gauges and you 'let your opinion be known'...I assume you appear to be 'normal' (by your standards) yet you are nitpicking over a person's appearance.

Nice.

• Like 2

Really? :wacko:

I think this is one of the most asinine things I've read on the internet all day...and that's saying something.

Your server wears gauges and you 'let your opinion be known'...I assume you appear to be 'normal' (by your standards) yet you are nitpicking over a person's appearance.

Nice.

Keep reading, I am sure I will post something that will take the number 1 spot before the day is out.

I have skills.

ETA: And natural talent :)

• Like 1

Funny, but as I have grown older, I have become less judgmental rather than the other way around. I truly do believe it is what is on the inside that counts. I am very concerned that every day there are children being abused (and probably by someone who looks "normal"); old people who are lonely; dogs who are being neglected; young men dying on a war front; etc.

I personally don't care for those ear things either and I see a future for reconstructive surgery coming our way, but it does not gross me out.

Again, IMHO.

• Like 1

I can't stand looking at it. I have a friend who has an education degree and is trying to get work as a middle school teacher. She has gauges in her ears, and she is covered in tats. She does cover her tats at interviews and when she works in a classroom, but she also lives in FL, and that has to be hot in the middle of the summer. She has ink from her wrists to her neck to her ankles.

She wonders why she has never had a full time teaching job since she graduated.....duh.

I don't like it, and when I see someone like that I immediately think less of them. I think it's short sighted to do things like that to yourself. I don't apologize for it. It bothers me to look at it.

• Like 1

Keep reading, I am sure I will post something that will take the number 1 spot before the day is out.

I have skills.

ETA: And natural talent :)

I am counting on that! Been a long week! lol

I can't stand looking at it. I have a friend who has an education degree and is trying to get work as a middle school teacher. She has gauges in her ears, and she is covered in tats. She does cover her tats at interviews and when she works in a classroom, but she also lives in FL, and that has to be hot in the middle of the summer. She has ink from her wrists to her neck to her ankles.

She wonders why she has never had a full time teaching job since she graduated.....duh.

I don't like it, and when I see someone like that I immediately think less of them. I think it's short sighted to do things like that to yourself. I don't apologize for it. It bothers me to look at it.

The way I handle my phobia regarding people like this, is to go somewhere else to eat. I leave the people with strange ideas to themselves. The world is not as small as the, "This Is Small World," thinkers think it is. drinks.gif

The way I handle my phobia regarding people like this, is to go somewhere else to eat. I leave the people with strange ideas to themselves. The world is not as small as the, "This Is Small World," thinkers think it is. drinks.gif

I do the same, but I think it's funny when someone does something like this to themselves and then gets mad that people judge them for it. It looks stupid, prepare to be judged when you do stupid things to yourself.

• Like 6

I do the same, but I think it's funny when someone does something like this to themselves and then gets mad that people judge them for it. It looks stupid, prepare to be judged when you do stupid things to yourself.

Agreed 100%

I won't be hiring them.

Agreed 100%

I won't be hiring them.

That's the part that is missing in society. We have the freedom to do A LOT of things. A LOT of things we have the freedom to do are REALLY DUMB things. Just because you CAN do many things, doesn't change the fact that what you do affects how people see you and how they treat you. If you don't want to be treated that way then don't do it. If you are ok with being looked at as different, and have no need to work a 9 to 5 job, then by all means, pierce yourself and tat yourself. Just don't come crying to me when you can't get hired or people would rather not look at you.

• Like 5

One of my best friends kids have tattoos (on the shoulders) and the boy has a earring and the girl has a nose piercing.

They both are great kids, the boy has a PHD in advanced mathmatics and the girl is starting a teaching job.

I keep telling my buddy, when it comes to the earring and piercing, I am not sure where he went wrong with raising them.

He wonders also.

The kids just laugh at us and call us "old fogeys".

I'm still really just shaking my head at this topic, and a good portion of the responses.

I could name a million and one seemingly 'normal' or abnormal yet apparently acceptable things that gross me out about folks.

If it doesn't hinder their ability to function in any given profession than it shouldn't have any bearing on it.

:blink:

529171_563137393708443_903910760_n.jpg

• Like 3

I'm still really just shaking my head at this topic, and a good portion of the responses.

I could name a million and one seemingly 'normal' or abnormal yet apparently acceptable things that gross me out about folks.

If it doesn't hinder their ability to function in any given profession than it shouldn't have any bearing on it.

:blink:

529171_563137393708443_903910760_n.jpg

My father had a thing about men with beards, his thinking was that they had beards because they were to lazy to shave.

In my case he was correct.

My father had a thing about men with beards, his thinking was that they had beards because they were to lazy to shave.

In my case he was correct.

My Papa says men wear beards to "cover up ugly"

For the record my husband is bearded...

lol

That's the part that is missing in society. We have the freedom to do A LOT of things. A LOT of things we have the freedom to do are REALLY DUMB things. Just because you CAN do many things, doesn't change the fact that what you do affects how people see you and how they treat you. If you don't want to be treated that way then don't do it. If you are ok with being looked at as different, and have no need to work a 9 to 5 job, then by all means, pierce yourself and tat yourself. Just don't come crying to me when you can't get hired or people would rather not look at you.

If you use Vich's Vapor Rub, STRAWMAN you can bring out big old crocodile tears, and get sympathy from a lot of sign carriers. You can fill; the White House lawn with sympathizers, if you wish. drinks.gif

I never argued with my kids about their hair. It grows back. I truly believe in picking my battles. However when it came to piercings, we did/do have a very intense talk about it. My advice to my kids is if you do this, think in the long term. It will affect your getting a job. It will affect how people see you, and yes all those people that claim they don't judge will be the harshest judges.

Now, this is the advise both of my grown children received, as well as how I approach things with my youngest. Do my oldest have tattoos, and piercings? Yes, my son does have tatoos, and one pierced ear, as well as his tongue but you can't see them. My daughter has the normal ear piercing, and a belly piercing. She has talked about getting a tatoo. However they are both in their late 20s and early 30s.

When they decide to remove the gauge from their ears, they end up with a saggy ear lobe..now what? Do you cut it off, let it sag??

When getting that or a neck tattoo, you have to realize that you ARE cutting out certain opportunities. Like it or not, people ARE judging and it IS going to keep you from landing certain jobs.

• Like 2

May I take your order? Yeah, that isn't going to happen. Show me one kid who wouldn't respond with wide eyes, an open mouth, or a stand off look and I'll show you a blind kid. Heck, most adults would be the same way and rightfully so. this isn't normal.

post-21309-0-16261500-1365194265_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blazing Saddles
  • Like 1

I don't understand what is so disgusting about it.

The only problem I would have is if someone had an offensive image or statement tattooed on them and not covered up... like a naked body or something like that. Something you obviously wouldn't want shown around a child.

I'm sure that person was hired because they are capable at doing their job. There are plenty of non-pierced and non-tattooed people that deter me from going to some businesses based on their poor customer service/bad attitudes....not the way they look.

• Like 1

May I take your order? Yeah, that isn't going to happen. Show me one kid who wouldn't respond with wide eyes, an open mouth, or a stand off look and I'll show you a blind kid. Heck, most adults would be the same way and rightfully so. this isn't normal.

I promise I'm not making fun of this guy and I will admit I am way out of touch when it comes to tattoos, piercings, etc. And, I am not passing judgment on the guy in the picture but what are the knots on his head? Does he have some sort of growths or did he somehow put those there on purpose?

I promise.....just a honest, sincere question - not passing judgment.

I promise I'm not making fun of this guy and I will admit I am way out of touch when it comes to tattoos, piercings, etc. And, I am not passing judgment on the guy in the picture but what are the knots on his head? Does he have some sort of growths or did he somehow put those there on purpose?

I promise.....just a honest, sincere question - not passing judgment.

Nothing wrong with asking an honest question. They are dermal implants... :)

The picture of this guy is an extreme, and BS knows that. Anyone who takes the piercing, ink culture to that level likely makes a living in that industry or any of it's various subsets.

It was his/her (BS) ridiculous way of trying to make a point.

Edited by RhondaW
  • Like 2