Paulding.com

Internet speed test

Yeah, that's pretty bad. Close to dial-up.

I average about 35 meg download at home on Comcast. But we stream a lot, so it comes in nice.

Best I can get at my office is DSL 6.0, which actually runs around 5-5.5 meg download. We run a VPN between offices though, so we tax that at times.

I had NO clue it was that bad. I knew it seemed to have slowed down recently but that's pretty slow.

I actually decided to do the speed test to determine if the 3.1 mbps would be as fast as what we have. Uh, yeah!

Yeah, that's pretty bad. Close to dial-up.

I average about 35 meg download at home on Comcast. But we stream a lot, so it comes in nice.

Best I can get at my office is DSL 6.0, which actually runs around 5-5.5 meg download. We run a VPN between offices though, so we tax that at times.

I had NO clue it was that bad. I knew it seemed to have slowed down recently but that's pretty slow.

I actually decided to do the speed test to determine if the 3.1 mbps would be as fast as what we have. Uh, yeah!

Have you tried rebooting your modem?

REPEATEDLY.

I had really started noticing the speed recently. It just seemed to crawl at times. We would also lose connection every day around 1 p.m. for a couple of weeks. That seems to have resolved. But the speed is noticeably slower than it used to be. I know they have been working in this area so I chalked it up to that.

We saw an AT&T ad a couple of weeks ago where they said they would soon have twice the speed. I looked at my husband and said "that's good to know. Now maybe it will be half the speed it was a year ago".

Have you tried rebooting your modem?

REPEATEDLY.

I had really started noticing the speed recently. It just seemed to crawl at times. We would also lose connection every day around 1 p.m. for a couple of weeks. That seems to have resolved. But the speed is noticeably slower than it used to be. I know they have been working in this area so I chalked it up to that.

You might want to call and report it, especially if they had been working in the area.

A buddy of mine used to be a Bellsouth/ATT tech and he said that a lot of techs would do the follow:

If a customer called up reporting a slow connect and the tech came out and found a less than par pair that was

causing problems... and there were no spare pairs left in the box, what they would do is disconnect your line and switch

it to another working pair. If the person they swapped you with didn't have DSL, they were golden and didn't have to troubleshoot

or fix anything... if they did have DSL, it was another service call to another address and it wouldn't show up on their

'fail to fix' list... so they would just swap pairs around until they ran out and were forced to actually fix the problem.

IE: The original problem you had would just get passed around to all the other residents who are on the same trunk as you ....

Mine is even suckier than yours. Only options are this and Comcast, and I refuse to go Comcast. :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

I have Comcast. Last week I was having trouble loading pages and my phone was getting a fast busy signal instead of a dial tone. I called Comcast (on my cell) and got a nice young lady. She reset my modem from the office, stayed online until I rebooted the PC and called my home phone to make sure it was OK. I have no complaints.

If I were going to be here past next week, I'd do that. As it is, as of April 8, which is our service month date, we will no longer be Bellsouth customers after 34 years, 3 months and a couple of weeks.

You might want to call and report it, especially if they had been working in the area.

A buddy of mine used to be a Bellsouth/ATT tech and he said that a lot of techs would do the follow:

If a customer called up reporting a slow connect and the tech came out and found a less than par pair that was

causing problems... and there were no spare pairs left in the box, what they would do is disconnect your line and switch

it to another working pair. If the person they swapped you with didn't have DSL, they were golden and didn't have to troubleshoot

or fix anything... if they did have DSL, it was another service call to another address and it wouldn't show up on their

'fail to fix' list... so they would just swap pairs around until they ran out and were forced to actually fix the problem.

IE: The original problem you had would just get passed around to all the other residents who are on the same trunk as you ....

I've worked for AT&T/Bellsouth for 15 years repairing POTS and ADSL and I think you're friend is full of sh*t...

There are established procedures for fixing defective pairs and I've never heard of a 'fail to fix' list. They've been known as 'repeats' for the entire time I've been at AT&T/Bellsouth. Where did your friend work, customer service, they haven't got the slightest idea of what their talking about either... dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif

I've worked for AT&T/Bellsouth for 15 years repairing POTS and ADSL and I think you're friend is full of sh*t...

There are established procedures for fixing defective pairs and I've never heard of a 'fail to fix' list. They've been known as 'repeats' for the entire time I've been at AT&T/Bellsouth. Where did your friend work, customer service, they haven't got the slightest idea of what their talking about either... dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif

OK, should I call to report my slowness?

Now I'm curious how much some of you pay for your internet. I'm cheap and cut the cable tv awhile ago and stream Roku instead. I've never had a problem streaming anything with my internet speed (up to 12Mbps), along with video chats, multiple users on the network at one time, two Roku devices going at one time.

Edited by justgettingby

Now I'm curious how much some of you pay for your internet. I'm cheap and cut the cable tv awhile ago and stream Roku instead. I've never had a problem streaming anything with my internet speed, along with video chats, multiple users on the network at one time, two Roku devices going at one time.

Since ours is through Verizon and is run off Cell towers we pay for usage, and ours runs between $80 to $100 a month.

$19.95 a month for AT&T DSL. And obviously paying way too much for what I'm getting.

Looking forward to the hotspot at 3.1 mbps and about $12 a month.

Now I'm curious how much some of you pay for your internet. I'm cheap and cut the cable tv awhile ago and stream Roku instead. I've never had a problem streaming anything with my internet speed (up to 12Mbps), along with video chats, multiple users on the network at one time, two Roku devices going at one time.

I showed 6.10 mbs download and .43mbs upload with FastAccess® DSL Xtreme 6.0 in the New Hope area within Paulding. Our upload has always been bad but I didn't realize how bad it was until just now when it showed a comparison to other U.S. areas. UGH!

I got a letter from ATT saying Uverse is available here, I'm looking into that.

Last year I got a tip from AT&T in the HIram location to go in there and speak with them about a quote for Uverse as they can usually go lower than what you can get from signing up online. We were given a very good quote at that time but we were going out of town and it wasn't going to be valid by the time we returned. I need to make the time to go back in there. Let me know what you find out and we can compare notes.

Edited by MsGaStorm

2607263303.png

Xfinity said the speeds would be doubling for free. My service was 20mb download which means that I should be at 40mb now.

I got my cable bill lowered when I called them about an offer I got from AT&T Uverse and Xfinity matched their price so I don't have to change anything.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2607311227.png

We switched from Bellsouth to Xfinity on 3/13 and I hadn't run a test since. This is 10x better than we were getting with BS.

It does go out several times a day which my husband thinks is because of the $10 yard sale Router we got 3 years ago. I meant to buy a Netgear 450? but got home and realized I bought a Belkin. I am now trying to find out before I open it, if it will be compatible with the Xfinity Modem or not. My son recently built his own gaming computer and I need to make sure I get enough of whatever he needs for that. Before Xfinity it would sometimes take more than a day for a game to download and now he says it is much faster.

Good gracious Media Man!! That's blazing fast.

BTW, how you doing??

2607263303.png

Xfinity said the speeds would be doubling for free. My service was 20mb download which means that I should be at 40mb now.

I got my cable bill lowered when I called them about an offer I got from AT&T Uverse and Xfinity matched their price so I don't have to change anything.

2600960957.png

Mine SUCKS, and I work from home, but my only internet option is Verizon JetPack

Verizon just sent us a replacement jet pack. I tested it after getting the new one. I guess it's somewhat of an improvement.

2608454429.png

So I rebooted again.

So, now it's slower than 98% of the US.

2612796538.png

For 19.95 a month with BS, you would have max rates of 0.768 mbs download and 0.128 mbs upload. You are meeting specification for upload, but still running pretty slow for the download service. If you are not really, really far from the roadside box (DSL rates drop as you get further and further from the box), there is an equipment fault somewhere.

A chart I found on distance vs Rates: Data Link

Distance in

Feet from Central office

or Roadside "Box"

Less than 5000 - You will have little trouble getting all speeds of DSL

5000-10600 - You may have trouble getting the highest speeds on offer

10600- 15000 - from national CLECs, speeds on offer are pinned back steadily until they reach 192k for 15,000 feet.

15000-18000 - In this range, Telco ADSL is normally still available, although it may be restricted to 192-500k speeds

For your issue to be distance related, you'd have to be over 2 miles (and more like 3 miles) from the CO or Box (DSLAM) providing the service. I am around 4000 ft from ours on Dabbs Bridge Rd and when the BS guy was testing our modem, the DSL link ran stable up to 10 mbs, but then they locked it to my service rate of 6 mbs to try to stabilize the line (I was having drop issues) which was my paid rate.

The "roadside box" has my street address on it, so I'm guessing I'm pretty close to it.pardon.gif

oh well, another 3 or 4 days and I can say adios to Bellsouth DSL.

For 19.95 a month with BS, you would have max rates of 0.768 mbs download and 0.128 mbs upload. You are meeting specification for upload, but still running pretty slow for the download service. If you are not really, really far from the roadside box (DSL rates drop as you get further and further from the box), there is an equipment fault somewhere.

A chart I found on distance vs Rates: Data Link

Distance in

Feet from Central office

or Roadside "Box"

Less than 5000 - You will have little trouble getting all speeds of DSL

5000-10600 - You may have trouble getting the highest speeds on offer

10600- 15000 - from national CLECs, speeds on offer are pinned back steadily until they reach 192k for 15,000 feet.

15000-18000 - In this range, Telco ADSL is normally still available, although it may be restricted to 192-500k speeds

For your issue to be distance related, you'd have to be over 2 miles (and more like 3 miles) from the CO or Box (DSLAM) providing the service. I am around 4000 ft from ours on Dabbs Bridge Rd and when the BS guy was testing our modem, the DSL link ran stable up to 10 mbs, but then they locked it to my service rate of 6 mbs to try to stabilize the line (I was having drop issues) which was my paid rate.

I'm getting this

2615141129.png

On one of these sitting in the windowsill of my office.

FreedomPop-Photon_zps96daac4a.jpg

www.freedompop.com I get 500 free MB a month then it's .02 per MB after that. Pretty good for just fooling around on the internet. As long as I don't download videos.

Edited by Papi