Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
ThirdSeason

To Serve and Protect

The primary role of government is to protect one person from another, from physical or financial harm.

The role of government is NOT to provide healthcare to anyone.

Having a law that says you HAVE to have basic insurance is protecting ME from YOU, in case an accident is YOUR fault.

That said 'basic' insurance, mandated by government, does not protect YOU in an accident... it protects the other party.

If YOU want to be protected by insurance in an accident that YOU caused, YOU pay for additional insurance that covers

YOUR vehicle for YOUR mistakes.

uninsured motorist coverage. That's what a responsible PERSON should do to protect themselves - not rely on the gov't. Be sure to call your government the next time your 401k takes a dive because of irresponsible money managers and remind them that's it's their responsibility to protect you. I''m sure they'll cut you a check. Oh, wait, maybe "financial harm" wasn't a primary role after all.

I have insurance that covers me being in an accident with someone who does not have insurance. I also had the same coverage before insurance was mandatory. I'm the one responsible for protecting my stuff, and so I do. Whether or not someone has a car insured does not affect me. I cannot imagine how you think that not having health insurance doesn't affect me financially (unless you are the 47%) - I have to pay income tax and a portion of that goes to support emergency rooms that treat those not responsible enough to have health insurance. If you are the 47% already contributing little or nothing while taking redistributed income, I can certainly see how you would take that position.

Did you seriously just say that someone not having car insurance doesn't affect you but someone not having health insurance does?

Sorry, but yes, someone not having car insurance DOES affect you.

Start making uninsured motorist claims against your policy and let's see how long you keep paying the same premiums

or keep the policy in effect before the insurance company cancels it.

uninsured motorist coverage. That's what a responsible PERSON should do to protect themselves - not rely on the gov't. Be sure to call your government the next time your 401k takes a dive because of irresponsible money managers and remind them that's it's their responsibility to protect you. I''m sure they'll cut you a check. Oh, wait, maybe "financial harm" wasn't a primary role after all.

Oh get of your snooty little poor poor pitiful me soap box, believe me as a long time now retired tax payer you may think you are carrying the World on your shoulders but your not. Stop winning it's embarrassing.

There's probably no point in explaining since

you can't see the difference in being taxed and redistributed wealth vs direct financial harm due to negligence.

If a financial planner loses my money, I took the risk by letting them manage my money.

It's my responsibility to do the research and pick a planner that will do the job I pay them to do.

If you hit me and the accident is your fault, it was due to negligence.

I have no say so in you getting your drivers license, how YOU maintain YOUR vehicle, nor how YOU operated said vehicle on a public roadway.

I have no responsibility to ensure that YOU are doing YOUR job in maintaining safe operation of YOUR vehicle.

• Like 2

I changed my auto insurance to a different company this month. I wanted to confirm my information was on the state database so I stopped by PCSO this afternoon. I went into the waiting room and asked the receptionist if they could verify it for me. She told me to go outside and wait next to my vehicle. Within 5 minutes a deputy came from around the corner of the building with a 2 way radio. He called in my tag number and it came back OK. I had no insurance card with me because all the insurance agent gave me was one piece of paper with both vehicles on it. I would have had to call my wife in Hiram to bring it to me as she had it with our other vehicle. I guess my vehicle would have been towed from the front door of the sheriff's office otherwise.

Oh get of your snooty little poor poor pitiful me soap box, believe me as a long time now retired tax payer you may think you are carrying the World on your shoulders but your not. Stop winning it's embarrassing.

This is where Obamacare came from. To suggest that you should be responsible for yourself and your stuff and people will go nuts - but what about you protecting ME and MY stuff! it's not fair for you to just take care of you!

This is where Obamacare came from. To suggest that you should be responsible for yourself and your stuff and people will go nuts - but what about you protecting ME and MY stuff! it's not fair for you to just take care of you!

What, I mean like WHAT ! Obama care requires everyone have health care insurance. You know like car liability insurance ???.... Kind of what this thread is all about. wacko.gif

I changed my auto insurance to a different company this month. I wanted to confirm my information was on the state database so I stopped by PCSO this afternoon. I went into the waiting room and asked the receptionist if they could verify it for me. She told me to go outside and wait next to my vehicle. Within 5 minutes a deputy came from around the corner of the building with a 2 way radio. He called in my tag number and it came back OK. I had no insurance card with me because all the insurance agent gave me was one piece of paper with both vehicles on it. I would have had to call my wife in Hiram to bring it to me as she had it with our other vehicle. I guess my vehicle would have been towed from the front door of the sheriff's office otherwise.

You should be able to go to this web site to confirm your insurance info..

http://onlinemvd.dor.ga.gov/vinstatuscheck/vinstatus.aspx

and this one for license...

https://online.dds.ga.gov/dlstatus/default.aspx

What, I mean like WHAT ! Obama care requires everyone have health care insurance. You know like car liability insurance ???.... Kind of what this thread is all about. wacko.gif

I can almost see the slurring in your typing -I hate to respond - but yes, the government has no business mandating insurance products - whether that be for cars or health. What to protect with insurance should be a personal choice. I like my car and if something happens to it, I'd like another one like it - therefore, I choose to insure. If I should cause an accident, I like my house and don't want someone to levy a claim against it to cover the damage that I caused - so I choose to insure. If I drove a 1979 chevette and lived in a rented trailer....no so much.

I can almost see the slurring in your typing -I hate to respond - but yes, the government has no business mandating insurance products - whether that be for cars or health. What to protect with insurance should be a personal choice. I like my car and if something happens to it, I'd like another one like it - therefore, I choose to insure. If I should cause an accident, I like my house and don't want someone to levy a claim against it to cover the damage that I caused - so I choose to insure. If I drove a 1979 chevette and lived in a rented trailer....no so much.

And when you check into the emergency room the hospital would like to know being the self absorbed jerk that you are will not file for bankruptcy leaving them and the rest of us libel for your bill.

Edited by CitizenCain
  • Like 1

And when you check into the emergency room the hospital would like to know being the self absorbed jerk that you are will not file for bankruptcy leaving them and the rest of us libel for your bill.

LOL...

me: maybe if I explain it differently he'll get that I believe in small government and personal responsibility.

you: K, so he says "day", I scream "NIGHT!' he says "night" I scream "DAY!" he says "night and day" I scream "SQUIRREL!"

LOL...

me: maybe if I explain it differently he'll get that I believe in small government and personal responsibility.

you: K, so he says "day", I scream "NIGHT!' he says "night" I scream "DAY!" he says "night and day" I scream "SQUIRREL!"

Ok, slowly..... back away from the keyboard and take you med's, we can talk about this in the morning. Everything is going to be all...right......, unsure.gif

Oh my, the comments on the FB page are too much. Now "Lindsay" was afraid of wild dogs. Yeah, because that's an issue, right?

https://www.facebook.com/PauldingSheriff

But he did have 2 rifles and a pistol (which his wife must not have known about else she wouldn't have worried about those wild dogs :blink: :blink: :blink: .

• Like 2

GGGGRRRRR!!!

I really hate it when I read a post and someone (OP) has deleted their content.

This thread makes no sense!!!

*add frustrated emoticon here* I'm posting from my phone and don't know how!!!

I also lost the IP's meaning as the thread unfolded, both with and without certain posts in between. All I can say is that over the past 6 years I have made good friends with a lot of Paulding's finest in uniform, as well as GSP, DCounty, etc. I wanted to be a cop when I was 30, (I'm almost 48 now) but it didn't sit well with the family. That said, I've always admired cops and have always harbored a thing in my soul about "getting the bad guys" in an effort to make my country a better place for my two young daughters to live in, as well as everyone one in our community, if not the whole nation.

WOW, I read some of the comments on the Paulding county FB page. I guess they think they are having the trial on FB instead of in a court of law.

I hope they decide to go to court. I would love to go watch this trial!!!

If "Lindsey" and her car wrecked your car and didn't have insurance, this story would be different. There are so many people driving without insurance that it really makes me mad.

If this person could take a cell phone picture, they could call for a ride. Just saying!!

Yes, and if they could afford a cell phone they could afford to pay insurance.

I also lost the IP's meaning as the thread unfolded, both with and without certain posts in between. All I can say is that over the past 6 years I have made good friends with a lot of Paulding's finest in uniform, as well as GSP, DCounty, etc. I wanted to be a cop when I was 30, (I'm almost 48 now) but it didn't sit well with the family. That said, I've always admired cops and have always harbored a thing in my soul about "getting the bad guys" in an effort to make my country a better place for my two young daughters to live in, as well as everyone one in our community, if not the whole nation.

I honestly don't think Gary would have anybody working for him that would do these things.

I just looked at my facebook page and saw where a family member in Tennessee shared this story and by the way, they did not get it from me. I read it and let it go because I knew there had to be more to the story. Can we say this story has really got out of hand?

• Like 1

No, it doesn't. You can get your tag today and stop paying your insurance next month. How would police know unless they ran your tag?

That's just it, N G!

Asking a driver for his/her insurance card means nothing. A paper chard like that is to easy to forge. Running the tag is what I've been stressing. LEO's should run the tag, and not wast time wondering about a driver's insurance card. drinks.gif

Edited by The Postman

TP, please keep up. The deputy DID run the tag and it came back with no insurance. Then the driver could not produce an insurance card. Had they had a card in the car with them, this whole ugly ordeal would likely have been avoided. Yes, that's true, a card is easy to forge. BUT the officer would have likely taken a card FROM THE INSURANCE COMPANY, written them a ticket and they would have been on their merry way. Then when the driver went to court, all they had to do was produce a statement from the insurance company that they had valid insurance on the day they were stopped. All charges would have been dropped and nothing more would have come of it. I know people this has happened to! No, the reporting system is not perfect which is why you should always carry the card the insurance company sends you. I have every single one of them we have ever received in the car JUST IN CASE.

That's just it, N G!

Asking a driver for his/her insurance card means nothing. A paper chard like that is to easy to forge. Running the tag is what I've been stressing. LEO's should run the tag, and not wast time wondering about a driver's insurance card. drinks.gif

I have every single one of them we have ever received in the car JUST IN CASE.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who did this!

Whether it helps or not, if I got pulled over without the current one, I could show the officer

where I have had insurance on the vehicle, steadily, for the past 10 years and that it's likely a mistake.

Maybe it would help, maybe not... But I would rather show a continuous insurance history than nothing at all.

Maybe Ugadawgs98 or Mr. Dis or someone else from the law enforcement community can post up as to whether

doing this would be beneficial or not.

I used to keep all the tag slips in the car, too. I stopped that a few years ago. But those insurance cards still go in there every six months.

We loaned our truck to our daughter while we were out of town for a month. I made a point of telling her that the insurance cards were in there just in case she ever needed them. And I made sure the current one was on top of the stack. Coming from the job backgrounds I do, I believe in documenting EVERYTHING. I am also a tactile person, so I don't trust electronic records and I want the paper record in my hand.

Besides, won't the insurance companies give you an insurance card anyway? Not all states have the same system as Georgia. I would think the insurance companies would have to provide them so you would have proof if you were in another state that didn't use Georgia's verification system. And how much trouble is it to toss them in the glove compartment or console?

Whether it helps or not, if I got pulled over without the current one, I could show the officer

where I have had insurance on the vehicle, steadily, for the past 10 years and that it's likely a mistake.

Maybe it would help, maybe not... But I would rather show a continuous insurance history than nothing at all.

Maybe Ugadawgs98 or Mr. Dis or someone else from the law enforcement community can post up as to whether

Lindsay must have done something to have been pulled over. Officers don't have time to look up insurance in their DB for the heck of it. I call BS on this. Kudos to Officer Dutton.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

And for the record , HE OFFERED AT LEAST 2 OR 3 TIMES TO TAKE THEM HOME and was refused his offer !!!!

Yup....I have given people a break in situations where I believed roadside that they had insurance. In those cases I notified the driver I would follow up with the insurance company during business hours and if there was no insurance they would be charged.

Besides, won't the insurance companies give you an insurance card anyway? Not all states have the same system as Georgia. I would think the insurance companies would have to provide them so you would have proof if you were in another state that didn't use Georgia's verification system. And how much trouble is it to toss them in the glove compartment or console?

....and each one of those companies who do that are causing a violation of GA law for their customers.

40-6-10. Insurance requirements for operation of motor vehicles generally

( B ) For any vehicle covered under a policy of motor vehicle liability insurance that is not a fleet policy as defined in Code Section 40-2-137, the insurer shall issue a policy information card which shall contain at least the name of the insurer, policy number, policy issue or effective date, policy expiration date, name of the insured, and year, make, model, and vehicle identification number of each vehicle insured; the owner or operator of the motor vehicle shall keep such policy information card in the vehicle at all times during operation of the vehiclefor purposes of Code Section 40-6-273.1, but any such policy information card shall not be sufficient proof of insurance for any purposes of this Code section except as otherwise provided in this Code section.

Edited by Ugadawgs98

Isn't what you posted the same thing I said? That the insurer WILL issue a card and the that drive WILL keep a copy of it in their vehicle? And that's even though the card isn't proof of insurance? unsure.gif

....and each one of those companies who do that are causing a violation of GA law for their customers.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

And for the record , HE OFFERED AT LEAST 2 OR 3 TIMES TO TAKE THEM HOME and was refused his offer !!!!

We need you on here more often Miss Tona. Pcom needs more level heads and smart responses like the ones that you add!!!!!

Isn't what you posted the same thing I said? That the insurer WILL issue a card and the that drive WILL keep a copy of it in their vehicle? And that's even though the card isn't proof of insurance? unsure.gif

I was commenting on the fact that many seem to be no longer mailing them out which is putting their customers at risk. GA law says you must have a copy of your card which includes the policy number in the event of a wreck. While the state database does show insurance status it does not list the policy number. On the same note, that card also has other contact information a LEO can use to determine if a vehicle is properly insured if the listing on the state database is disputed.

If the sheriff's dept wants to stop all of this then they should post the police video to the public. Problem solved.

Channel 2 will have this on thier 5 o"clock news.

Did anyone see this? On Facebook someone said Simmons aka Dirty Dan aka Third Season would not come to the door.

Did anyone see this? On Facebook someone said Simmons aka Dirty Dan aka Third Season would not come to the door.

I did. And you're right Dirty Dan aka Third Season aka dumba$$ pot stirrer wouldn't come to the door.

If you are driving a vehicle (or own one) that is involved in an accident involving others where financial liability is possible, liability insurance is mandated to protect OTHERS.

Health insurance is optional because it only affects you. And whether or not you have it affects nobody but you.

I wanted to elaborate on this a little.

Driving is an option and a priviledge bestowed upon an individual so long a they follow THE LAWS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS PRIVILEDGE. Again you do not have to drive nor own a car. Therefore you are just fine with not having auto insurance. There is no lw saying you must own auto insurance just because you are alive and reside in the US.

Obamacare does not deliniate between whether or not you need to own a policy for any optional reason. It only states that you MUST OWN INSURANCE JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE ALIVE AND RESIDE IN THE US.

There is a world of difference between those two concepts.

I wanted to elaborate on this a little.

Driving is an option and a priviledge bestowed upon an individual so long a they follow THE LAWS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS PRIVILEDGE. Again you do not have to drive nor own a car. Therefore you are just fine with not having auto insurance. There is no lw saying you must own auto insurance just because you are alive and reside in the US.

Obamacare does not deliniate between whether or not you need to own a policy for any optional reason. It only states that you MUST OWN INSURANCE JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE ALIVE AND RESIDE IN THE US.

There is a world of difference between those two concepts.

mandated auto insurance was part of a slippery slope that led us toward mandated health insurance which will lead to who knows what. I am not a sovereign citizen or whacko like that - but allowing any gov't to mandate the purchase of a product is a bad idea. The free-market was working just fine prior to mandated auto insurance. The only thing that was accomplished was that the insurance industry was guaranteed a profit afterward. I don't know if you remember but the insurance lobby was promising cheaper rates during their push for the mandate - "because everyone will be insured and so it'll be cheaper" ...sound familiar?

mandated auto insurance was part of a slippery slope that led us toward mandated health insurance which will lead to who knows what. I am not a sovereign citizen or whacko like that - but allowing any gov't to mandate the purchase of a product is a bad idea. The free-market was working just fine prior to mandated auto insurance. The only thing that was accomplished was that the insurance industry was guaranteed a profit afterward. I don't know if you remember but the insurance lobby was promising cheaper rates during their push for the mandate - "because everyone will be insured and so it'll be cheaper" ...sound familiar?

You are only mandated to have auto insurance if you CHOOSE to own and drive a car. There are MANY PEOPLE who fo not own a car and therefore are not mandated to have auto insurance. That is not the same as Obamacare. You are mandated to have it based solely upon the fact that you exist. That is a HUGE DIFFERENCE. According to your logic we should also not have to have a drivers licencense or tags for our vehicles. I eill not waste any more time debating this with you. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, auto insurance and obamacare are NOTHING alike.

And out of curiosity, so you choose not to have insurance, in your world, you then hit me with yor $500 vehicle and are at fault. My car was a $40, 000 truck and my entire family of 4 was in it and injured. My truck is totaled and my family has $100, 000 in medical bills. Let's assume you do not have the cash to pay these bills. So my insurance has to cover it because I know that there are bunches of @$$holes like you with no insurance and have wisely purchased uninsured motorists insurance. ( I use that descrition to describe those that choose to not have insurance and not you in particular). So when all this shakes out in court, ple ase explain exactly what should be done with / to you and to what limits? I truly wou ld like to hear your ideas on that.

• Like 1