Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
ThirdSeason

To Serve and Protect

If the picture that was posted on FB that went along with the story, it was NOT dark outside. It looked to be late afternoon.

I'm wondering if it was just one of those FB pictures/ posts that gets shared a hundred times over and this person felt the need to come on Pcom to share it because he thought it was legit and possibly local. Probably didn't even happen around here, if it even happened at all. When the OP realized this, he bailed.

That's what I'm thinkin.

• Like 1

What did the LEO do to keep the vehicle off the roadway?

He towed it.

You can drive a car without insurance.

Yes, you can. And if you get caught, you go to jail.

You cannot LEGALLY drive a car, on a public roadway, without insurance.

So calling in was what the LEO should have done. Having no insurance card means nothing.

Call what in? The information they get on the MDT's in their car is the same information

they get from dispatch. If the drive would have provided an insurance card with a valid

date on it showing valid insurance, he would have accepted that over the computer.

Even if[/color] you had insurance at one time and you let your policy expire the insurance company, by law, has to notify the division of licensing that you no longer have insurance and that if you do not show that you have new insurance, you can have your license suspended.

Sorry, that's not true.

If you let your insurance lapse, they notify the state and the state will suspend your registration (TAG),

not your drivers license.

If a person lets his/her insurance lapse they cannot get a new registration until they serve out the length of time they did without insurance.

Wrong again. If I let my insurance lapse and they suspend my registration,

I can call my insurer, get renewed insurance, get a copy of the policy and go right to the tag office and

get my registration renewed and tagged, if needed.

BTW, your link... it was for North Carolina.. not Georgia.

In case you forgot, we are in Georgia.

Edited by Nitro
  • Like 2

He towed it.

Yes, you can. And if you get caught, you go to jail.

You cannot LEGALLY drive a car, on a public roadway, without insurance.

Call what in? The information they get on the MDT's in their car is the same information

they get from dispatch. If the drive would have provided an insurance card with a valid

date on it showing valid insurance, he would have accepted that over the computer.

Sorry, that's not true.

If you let your insurance lapse, they notify the state and the state will suspend your registration (TAG),

not your drivers license.

Wrong again. If I let my insurance lapse and they suspend my registration,

I can call my insurer, get renewed insurance, get a copy of the policy and go right to the tag office and

get my registration renewed and tagged, if needed.

BTW, your link... it was for North Carolina.. not Georgia.

In case you forgot, we are in Georgia.

good.gif

Well the share finally made it to my FB news feed today. dry.gif Yeah, not the middle of the night at all. And, the comments are still just rolling in. The photo... who took the photo and can someone not post it here? There are two men standing behind the patrol car and then the woman and child... then someone took the pic.

If the picture that was posted on FB that went along with the story, it was NOT dark outside. It looked to be late afternoon.

What did the LEO do to keep the vehicle off the roadway? You can drive a car without insurance. So calling in was what the LEO should have done. Having no insurance card means nothing. Even if you had insurance at one time and you let your policy expire the insurance company, by law, has to notify the division of licensing that you no longer have insurance and that if you do not show that you have new insurance, you can have your license suspended.

If a person lets his/her insurance lapse they cannot get a new registration until they serve out the length of time they did without insurance.

case liink

WTF? :blink: :blink: :blink:

According to the post I read, it was a computer error, they did have insurance, and their insurance company is paying the towing/impound fees :pardon:

Well the share finally made it to my FB news feed today. dry.gif Yeah, not the middle of the night at all. And, the comments are still just rolling in. The photo... who took the photo and can someone not post it here? There are two men standing behind the patrol car and then the woman and child... then someone took the pic.

I went back on my fb and notice the page is back up again....and yes the comments are still rolling in.......LOL

Where's the OP with the update he posted to his FB page?unsure.gif

Coyotes? Man, they are more scared of YOU than you are of THEM. rofl.gif

Okay, I just want to state the obvious here people...whether this woman had her insurance properly updated or not is not what should be the issue...the issue should be that a 2 year old boy was left in 40 degree weather...despite her lack of insurance does not make her a serious criminal nor does it make her and her child criminals to be left on the side of the street...Officer Dutton couldn't offer them a ride home? You people who are applauding this officer and posting immature comments such as "Fail!" and ignoring the true fact-of-the-matter are seriously sick people. I understand following the law is important, it keeps order and prevents continuous murder and whatnot, but because of people's stubborn and undying devotion to a law that can at times be unjustifiable, the ones who get 'left out in the cold' (pun intended) are those who have no voice...the children. Namely, the 2-year-old little boy that suffered in one way or another because of an officer's need to fill a quota, not to mention his apparent lack of sympathy for a child or his pride. Next time you want to blame and scoff and hate, please make sure you consider those involved and circumstances that bring people to those points...Officer Dutton sure did not...I am not saying he did not have to do his job, but I am saying he could have been a bit more helpful to a family that happened to be in need at that moment, regardless of why.

• Like 1

Okay, I just want to state the obvious here people...whether this woman had her insurance properly updated or not is not what should be the issue...the issue should be that a 2 year old boy was left in 40 degree weather...despite her lack of insurance does not make her a serious criminal nor does it make her and her child criminals to be left on the side of the street...Officer Dutton couldn't offer them a ride home? You people who are applauding this officer and posting immature comments such as "Fail!" and ignoring the true fact-of-the-matter are seriously sick people. I understand following the law is important, it keeps order and prevents continuous murder and whatnot, but because of people's stubborn and undying devotion to a law that can at times be unjustifiable, the ones who get 'left out in the cold' (pun intended) are those who have no voice...the children. Namely, the 2-year-old little boy that suffered in one way or another because of an officer's need to fill a quota, not to mention his apparent lack of sympathy for a child or his pride. Next time you want to blame and scoff and hate, please make sure you consider those involved and circumstances that bring people to those points...Officer Dutton sure did not...I am not saying he did not have to do his job, but I am saying he could have been a bit more helpful to a family that happened to be in need at that moment, regardless of why.

Someone correct me if im wrong but isn't the current law in GA that if someone drives their vehicle without valid insurance, the driver is subject to being arrested? That happened to someone in my family years ago. If that is the case, then they are lucky that the officer didn't arrest him/ her, and that they could have been sitting in jail instead of on the side of the road.

.....or, could it be that since this story was floating around Facebook, it's possible this didn't even take place in GA. Regardless, that means the OP should have never posted it portraying it like it was his story. So we probably didn't even get all the details of the situation anyway.

Also, if these people had gotten in a serious accident, being their fault, and they didn't have insurance? Well, I'm gonna say having the family with a 2 year old out in the cold isn't as bad as having someone in a hospital bed with astronomical medical bills because the asshat that hit them didnt have insurance. JMHO

Oh and by the way, welcome to Pcom. <_<

Edited by NinaBritt

I believe it was mentioned on here a couple of years ago when someone got their undies all in a knot because a police officer didn't offer them a ride home when they had car trouble and the officer told them it was against department policy. The police are not a taxi service. You want a ride home, call a friend or family member or call a cab. Oh, they aren't mechanics either. If your car breaks down, call a mechanic.

I still wonder if the OP will come on here and update us on what happened afterwards. I do think it's interesting that on his FB page "recent activity" shows he recommends Paulding County Sheriff.

BTW, kids play in the snow all the time. Kids play in the dark all the time. It was neither snowing nor dark when this happened if the pictures he posted are accurate. It was daylight. The woman in question, I'm guessing his wife, was wearing a lightweight fleece jacket, if the pictures he posted are accurate.

But don't forget there might have been coyotes out there. rolleyes.gif

Yes, apparently so.

Someone correct me if im wrong but isn't the current law in GA that if someone drives their vehicle without valid insurance, the driver is subject to being arrested? That happened to someone in my family years ago. If that is the case, then they are lucky that the officer didn't arrest him/ her, and that they could have been sitting in jail instead of on the side of the road.

.....or, could it be that since this story was floating around Facebook, it's possible this didn't even take place in GA. Regardless, that means the OP should have never posted it portraying it like it was his story. So we probably didn't even get all the details of the situation anyway.

Also, if these people had gotten in a serious accident, being their fault, and they didn't have insurance? Well, I'm gonna say having the family with a 2 year old out in the cold isn't as bad as having someone in a hospital bed with astronomical medical bills because the asshat that hit them didnt have insurance. JMHO

Oh and by the way, welcome to Pcom. <_>

• Like 1

Well, seeing as so many folks are soooooo concerned about this, did any of you e-mail the sheriffs office? No? Well I just did. BTW, I'm not going to post what they say, because if your soooooo concerned then why didn't you e-mail them?

Ok..I am gonna go on here and state a few facts.. First of all the Georgia Supreme Court has ruled that when in Public..whether on the road..or in a public place. Law Enforecement officers have the right to run your tag.. if your tag comes back suspended or No Valid Insurance. a Traffic stop is made. Citatiosn are issued and the car gets towed. The state data base. G.C.I.C is updated by the insurance company. you used to get arrested for no insurance, but now just get cited. also in the orginal post he did mention the deputy offered them a ride..after waiting in the cold for a little while. we were not there. so we do not know the real story. Most officers do there job in a proffessional manner and do we make people mad sure, do we make misakes sure. but not on purpose. if the information was wrong in the computer. then it was the insurance company fault for not fixing it. I work during the day. when I have this happen I call and check with the insurance company and verify.. but when you work at night sometimes thats not an option.

• Like 3

They took the time to take a picture with what appears to be a camera phone, so they could have used their option to phone a friend. Oh and make sure they had proper ID for insurance.

• Like 4

I've got to argue with you on several points.

I do not feel the blame, responsibility, putting the child in the cold is the officer's fault.

I feel that fault or blame falls on the Father. Each one of us are responsible to know our vehicles are insured. Each one of us are held responsible for how we handle business when encountered with a problem.

I do not feel the officer should have provided transportation. Imagine the lawsuits if the officer would have had an accident with the child in the police car or worst if a criminal would have made a shoot at the police car and would have hit the child.

I do not feel the officer should have allowed the family to drive the child home in the uninsured car. Imagine lawsuits again if the officer would have released the car and then there would have been an accident.

In reading witness accounts on Facebook the father was a real jerk towards the officer. Seems to me from what I read from Facebook friends the father should be thankful he is not in jail. Also from what I read on Facebook the father also burned his bridges with obtaining rides from my Facebook friends.

To me it appears blame falls directly on the father for being a jerk on the side of the road.

I do feel sorry for the child.

I too look forward to the father returning to this topic to offer his side and report resolution to his charges.

• Like 2

If "Lindsey" and her car wrecked your car and didn't have insurance, this story would be different. There are so many people driving without insurance that it really makes me mad.

If this person could take a cell phone picture, they could call for a ride. Just saying!!

... If this person could take a cell phone picture, they could call for a ride. Just saying!!

Exactly. But when you call someone, you've got to be nice. If you are screaming, cussing and bitching when they answer the call, they might hang up on you.

Once again, the OP has absolutely no credibility. So, who's to say that the part about the 2 year old on the side of the road in the dark and cold is true? I'm not buying any of it.

• Like 1

Well, seeing as so many folks are soooooo concerned about this, did any of you e-mail the sheriffs office? No? Well I just did. BTW, I'm not going to post what they say, because if your soooooo concerned then why didn't you e-mail them?

I did the day I seen this topic.. and then seen it floating around on fb.. :pardon:

• Like 1

I've got to argue with you on several points.

I do not feel the blame, responsibility, putting the child in the cold is the officer's fault.

I feel that fault or blame falls on the Father. Each one of us are responsible to know our vehicles are insured. Each one of us are held responsible for how we handle business when encountered with a problem.

I do not feel the officer should have provided transportation. Imagine the lawsuits if the officer would have had an accident with the child in the police car or worst if a criminal would have made a shoot at the police car and would have hit the child.

I do not feel the officer should have allowed the family to drive the child home in the uninsured car. Imagine lawsuits again if the officer would have released the car and then there would have been an accident.

In reading witness accounts on Facebook the father was a real jerk towards the officer. Seems to me from what I read from Facebook friends the father should be thankful he is not in jail. Also from what I read on Facebook the father also burned his bridges with obtaining rides from my Facebook friends.

To me it appears blame falls directly on the father for being a jerk on the side of the road.

I do feel sorry for the child.

I too look forward to the father returning to this topic to offer his side and report resolution to his charges.

^Everything you said!!!!! :clapping:

Well, hey, Jack - go big or go home! :nea:

I am completely appalled at some of the comments I have read here. None of you know the facts and 3/4 of those commenting here and other places probably have no idea who this guy is. Yet you not only believe, but help spread it. Why? Because one guy said so? Because it gives you an excuse to rail against LE? And Mr. Simmons, the very first night you posted this story, you encouraged everyone to share it with everyone they know. You also went onto a local forum and posted the same thing. How can you now come on this board and say "I never intended for this to become a national discussion." What exactly DID you expect to happen Mr. Simmons? You are now saying you can't agree with those calling for his dismissal. Are you aware sir that there are people calling for MORE than just a dismissal? There are sick and twisted people out there who have made some threatening comments about this officer, all based YOUR side of the story. A story YOU put on the internet and YOU encouraged others to share "with everyone they know".

• Like 6

Thank you!!

Ok..I am gonna go on here and state a few facts.. First of all the Georgia Supreme Court has ruled that when in Public..whether on the road..or in a public place. Law Enforecement officers have the right to run your tag.. if your tag comes back suspended or No Valid Insurance. a Traffic stop is made. Citatiosn are issued and the car gets towed. The state data base. G.C.I.C is updated by the insurance company. you used to get arrested for no insurance, but now just get cited. also in the orginal post he did mention the deputy offered them a ride..after waiting in the cold for a little while. we were not there. so we do not know the real story. Most officers do there job in a proffessional manner and do we make people mad sure, do we make misakes sure. but not on purpose. if the information was wrong in the computer. then it was the insurance company fault for not fixing it. I work during the day. when I have this happen I call and check with the insurance company and verify.. but when you work at night sometimes thats not an option.

That was the OP who edited his posts to say that.

I am completely appalled at some of the comments I have read here. None of you know the facts and 3/4 of those commenting here and other places probably have no idea who this guy is. Yet you not only believe, but help spread it. Why? Because one guy said so? Because it gives you an excuse to rail against LE? And Mr. Simmons, the very first night you posted this story, you encouraged everyone to share it with everyone they know. You also went onto a local forum and posted the same thing. How can you now come on this board and say "I never intended for this to become a national discussion." What exactly DID you expect to happen Mr. Simmons? You are now saying you can't agree with those calling for his dismissal. Are you aware sir that there are people calling for MORE than just a dismissal? There are sick and twisted people out there who have made some threatening comments about this officer, all based YOUR side of the story. A story YOU put on the internet and YOU encouraged others to share "with everyone they know".

The above quote is NOT to the majority posting here on Pcom, but to the Paulding county Sheriff's FB page and other pages.

:)

• Like 1

The above quote is NOT to the majority posting here on Pcom, but to the Paulding county Sheriff's FB page and other pages.

:)

Thanks for clearing that up for me Armymom! good.gif

WTF? :blink: :blink: :blink:

If you have a license plate on your vehicle, why do you need an insurance card? pardon.gif

This topic started off with the idea that a person needs to carry his/her insurance card, but I'm saying a tag tells the LEO whether you have insurance or not. And, if they dont run your tag number they are not doing their job.

An insurance chard is to easy to be forged.

Edited by The Postman

This topic started off with the idea that a person needs to carry his/her insurance card, but I'm saying a tag tells the LEO whether you have insurance or not.

No, it doesn't. You can get your tag today and stop paying your insurance next month. How would police know unless they ran your tag?

• Like 2

And maybe it's been mentioned, but you want law enforcement to run tags. That way, if they get behind your stolen car, they run the tag and it comes up as stolen, so maybe they can catch the perp and get your vehicle back. In kidnapping cases, they may put out a license plate number of the vehicle the victim was last seen in, so running tags can help law enforcement find kidnapping victims.

• Like 1

I have a question only partially related to this topic....How does keeping your car insured contribute to public safety? The same people on here that had fits against Obamacare - where everyone must pay for health insurance - are now saying it's okay for cars but not for people. I think mandated insurance of any kind is a bad idea. I would rather the cops be cruising the neighborhood to stop break-ins than being the insurance company enforcer.

From the PCSO's FB page:

This post has been prepared in regard to the incident that occurred on 03/24/13 with Deputy K. Dutton. This matter has been reviewed over the past several days, which review has included discussions with the deputy involved, review of audio/videotape of the incident, discussions with the involved towing personnel, as well as subsequent correspondence received by this office from Mr. Simmons. Such review is necessary in any circumstance where the integrity and professionalism of a deputy has been called into question in order to accurately determine the facts of each unique situation.

As a matter of policy, the Paulding County Sheriff’s Office will generally not discuss the facts of any active criminal/traffic case while the case is pending. With this in mind, the Paulding County Sheriff’s Office gives the following limited statement in response to questions raised by Social Media:

On March 24, 2013, Deputy K. Dutton stopped a vehicle being driven by Mrs. Simmons after an insurance check was run indicating that the vehicle was not covered by insurance as required by Georgia law. A citation was issued, and the vehicle was towed. Further information has confirmed that the vehicle did not have proof of insurance coverage. During the stop, Deputy K. Dutton followed all policy and procedures of the Paulding County Sheriff’s Office and laws of the State of Georgia. Due to impounding the vehicle, Deputy K. Dutton offered Mr. and Mrs. Simmons a ride two times. Those offers were both declined by the Simmons. After Mr. and Mrs. Simmons asked Deputy K. Dutton to leave the scene, he left the area without incident.

This will serve at the only response the Sheriff’s Office will have regarding this matter. Any other questions or concerns can be directed to the Pauldin County Sheriff’s Office at (770) 443-3010.

Edited by Happy Wife And Mom
  • Like 6

this is from Paulding County Sheriff's fb page

This post has been prepared in regard to the incident that occurred on 03/24/13 with Deputy K. Dutton. This matter has been reviewed over the past several days, which review has included discussions with the deputy involved, review of audio/videotape of the incident, discussions with the involved towing personnel, as well as subsequent correspondence received by this office from Mr. Simmons. Such review is necessary in any circumstance where the integrity and professionalism of a deputy has been called into question in order to accurately determine the facts of each unique situation.

As a matter of policy, the Paulding County Sheriff’s Office will generally not discuss the facts of any active criminal/traffic case while the case is pending. With this in mind, the Paulding County Sheriff’s Office gives the following limited statement in response to questions raised by Social Media:

On March 24, 2013, Deputy K. Dutton stopped a vehicle being driven by Mrs. Simmons after an insurance check was run indicating that the vehicle was not covered by insurance as required by Georgia law. A citation was issued, and the vehicle was towed. Further information has confirmed that the vehicle did not have proof of insurance coverage. During the stop, Deputy K. Dutton followed all policy and procedures of the Paulding County Sheriff’s Office and laws of the State of Georgia. Due to impounding the vehicle, Deputy K. Dutton offered Mr. and Mrs. Simmons a ride two times. Those offers were both declined by the Simmons. After Mr. and Mrs. Simmons asked Deputy K. Dutton to leave the scene, he left the area without incident.

This will serve at the only response the Sheriff’s Office will have regarding this matter. Any other questions or concerns can be directed to the Pauldin County Sheriff’s Office at (770) 443-3010.

• Like 2

I have a question only partially related to this topic....How does keeping your car insured contribute to public safety? The same people on here that had fits against Obamacare - where everyone must pay for health insurance - are now saying it's okay for cars but not for people. I think mandated insurance of any kind is a bad idea. I would rather the cops be cruising the neighborhood to stop break-ins than being the insurance company enforcer.

If you are driving a vehicle (or own one) that is involved in an accident involving others where financial liability is possible, liability insurance is mandated to protect OTHERS.

Health insurance is optional because it only affects you. And whether or not you have it affects nobody but you.

this is from Paulding County Sheriff's fb page

As a matter of policy, the Paulding County Sheriff's Office will generally not discuss the facts of any active criminal/traffic case while the case is pending. With this in mind, the Paulding County Sheriff's Office gives the following limited statement in response to questions raised by Social Media:

On March 24, 2013, Deputy K. Dutton stopped a vehicle being driven by Mrs. Simmons after an insurance check was run indicating that the vehicle was not covered by insurance as required by Georgia law. A citation was issued, and the vehicle was towed. Further information has confirmed that the vehicle did not have proof of insurance coverage. During the stop, Deputy K. Dutton followed all policy and procedures of the Paulding County Sheriff's Office and laws of the State of Georgia. Due to impounding the vehicle, Deputy K. Dutton offered Mr. and Mrs. Simmons a ride two times. Those offers were both declined by the Simmons. After Mr. and Mrs. Simmons asked Deputy K. Dutton to leave the scene, he left the area without incident.

This will serve at the only response the Sheriff's Office will have regarding this matter. Any other questions or concerns can be directed to the Pauldin County Sheriff's Office at (770) 443-3010.

Well then their you go, if this is true and the Deputy did in fact offer the Simmons a ride home then their should be no complaint, if the computer records are wrong and Mr Simmons did in fact have insurance his towing and impoundment fees should be reimbursed if the records are correct then it is as they say "Tuff Titties"

The primary role of government is to protect one person from another, from physical or financial harm.

The role of government is NOT to provide healthcare to anyone.

Having a law that says you HAVE to have basic insurance is protecting ME from YOU, in case an accident is YOUR fault.

That said 'basic' insurance, mandated by government, does not protect YOU in an accident... it protects the other party.

If YOU want to be protected by insurance in an accident that YOU caused, YOU pay for additional insurance that covers

YOUR vehicle for YOUR mistakes.

Edited by Nitro

If you are driving a vehicle (or own one) that is involved in an accident involving others where financial liability is possible, liability insurance is mandated to protect OTHERS.

Health insurance is optional because it only affects you. And whether or not you have it affects nobody but you.

I have insurance that covers me being in an accident with someone who does not have insurance. I also had the same coverage before insurance was mandatory. I'm the one responsible for protecting my stuff, and so I do. Whether or not someone has a car insured does not affect me. I cannot imagine how you think that not having health insurance doesn't affect me financially (unless you are the 47%) - I have to pay income tax and a portion of that goes to support emergency rooms that treat those not responsible enough to have health insurance. If you are the 47% already contributing little or nothing while taking redistributed income, I can certainly see how you would take that position.