Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
ThirdSeason

To Serve and Protect

Good for him, as he has a JOB to do. If you feel like you were treated wrong, feel free to file a complaint to the proper place

Let me get this straight... pulled over due to the GCIS showing there wasn't any valid insurance for the vehicle. You couldn't provide proof of coverage other than an online receipt for payment, but it didn't show that insurance was still in effect. And then the officer wouldn't allow you to commit an illegal act by driving a vehicle that is uninsured to his best knowledge, and threatened to have you arrested because you were upset that he was following the duty he swore to when he became a deputy.

I'm confused here, how did he (from the apparent tone in your post) act improperly. I always thought serve and protect meant the serve and protect the public's best interest, rather than to allow an individual or individuals to participate in behavior that is illegal and could be harmful to the public itself.

• Like 2

Let me get this straight... pulled over due to the GCIS showing there wasn't any valid insurance for the vehicle. You couldn't provide proof of coverage other than an online receipt for payment, but it didn't show that insurance was still in effect. And then the officer wouldn't allow you to commit an illegal act by driving a vehicle that is uninsured to his best knowledge, and threatened to have you arrested because you were upset that he was following the duty he swore to when he became a deputy.

I'm confused here, how did he (from the apparent tone in your post) act improperly. I always thought serve and protect meant the serve and protect the public's best interest, rather than to allow an individual or individuals to participate in behavior that is illegal and could be harmful to the public itself.

Edited by i_have3dogs
  • Like 2

I fail to see what he did that was wrong. He did what any police officer is sworn to do when they encounter someone who cannot provide proof of insurance. There's a reason you should carry your insurance card with you in your car.

There are generally three sides to every story.

BTW, they will have to pry my firearm out of my cold dead hands.

Makes you mad when the wrongdoings of those who are sworn to "protect and serve" are brought to light doesn't it?

I would like to offer a big thank you to office K. Dutton of the Paulding County Sheriff's department. Officer Dutton just pulled us over for no reason except that Lindsay's insurance didn't show up in his database. He then towed her car, despite the fact that we had an online receipt for the insurance and Lindsay's tag was just renewed in February (requiring insurance). We were a little over one mile from our house and he refused to allow us to go back. He wrote her a ticket for no insurance (no other offense at all) and put Lindsay, myself, and Elliott (two years old) on the side of the road with no streetlights in 40 degree weather. There he left us, after he repeatedly threatened to take me to jail when I protested at what he was doing.

That was Officer F. Dutton of the Paulding County Sheriff Department and this was a true account of what happened. If you know Officer Dutton, or think you might know officer Dutton - let him know how much you appreciate his valiant and diligent approach to his duty. Please feel free to share this to anyone you know. Makes you mad when the wrongdoings of those who are sworn to "protect and serve" are brought to light doesn't it? I can tell by your replies... I'm sure you'll all be ready to hand over your high-capacity magazines when the time comes. "God" bless...

I saw the picture of your family on FB standing on the side of the road...and my heart went out to the little boy....I know he had to be cold and scared standing out there....its just hard for me to believe that the cop left your family standing out there ...at least he could have let the children sit in his warm car until help came for them...Sorry that happen to your children...No child should be put in that position...not a parent or a Police....JMO

GGGGRRRRR!!!

I really hate it when I read a post and someone (OP) has deleted their content.

This thread makes no sense!!!

*add frustrated emoticon here* I'm posting from my phone and don't know how!!!

Here is the priginal post:

PS

I have no opinion on this topic, either way.

I do worry about small children being cold and being left before a ride was available, but I was not at the scene and do not know the facts myself.

Edit: Spelling

quote name='ThirdSeason' timestamp='1364182443' post='3784232']

I would like to offer a big thank you to office K. Dutton of the Paulding County Sheriff's department. Officer Dutton just pulled us over for no reason except that Lindsay's insurance didn't show up in his database. He then towed her car, despite the fact that we had an online receipt for the insurance and Lindsay's tag was just renewed in February (requiring insurance). We were a little over one mile from our house and he refused to allow us to go back. He wrote her a ticket for no insurance (no other offense at all) and put Lindsay, myself, and Elliott (two years old) on the side of the road with no streetlights in 40 degree weather. There he left us, after he repeatedly threatened to take me to jail when I protested at what he was doing.

That was Officer F. Dutton of the Paulding County Sheriff Department and this was a true account of what happened. If you know Officer Dutton, or think you might know officer Dutton - let him know how much you appreciate his valiant and diligent approach to his duty. Please feel free to share this to anyone you know.

Edited by stradial

Something doesn't smell right in this story.

I have never heard of a cop running a tag to check on insurance and then making a stop. What was the driver doing to get the cops' attention to have him run the tag in the first place? Maybe a similar description vehicle was on a BOLO or something?

MY POI certificate (USAA) plainly says that they provide the electronic data to GA and it is not necessary to carry the paper, although they suggest that I do. I thought it was a requirement that any insurance company doing business in GA had to have that data available online?

Reading on Facebook this guy was really nasty to the officer.

My advice to him... Chill out. Things will go better for him if he is nice.

Will be interesting to read how this is resolved.

• Like 1

That was Officer F. Dutton of the Paulding County Sheriff Department and this was a true account of what happened. If you know Officer Dutton, or think you might know officer Dutton - let him know how much you appreciate his valiant and diligent approach to his duty. Please feel free to share this to anyone you know.

Lindsay must have done something to have been pulled over. Officers don't have time to look up insurance in their DB for the heck of it. I call BS on this. Kudos to Officer Dutton.

• Like 4

Lindsay must have done something to have been pulled over. Officers don't have time to look up insurance in their DB for the heck of it. I call BS on this. Kudos to Officer Dutton.

I echo kudos to Officer Dutton.

I personally know about a dozen Paulding County Officers and Marshalls plus Sheriff Gulledge.

Each of these are a professional who has a heart to serve the citizens with excellence.

It always amazes me of the number of repeat "customers" they all know on a first hand basis. When I first read this report I immediately wondered if Lindsey or Lindsey's car were on his "first name customer list". I imagined a car with a cardboard "tag applied for" tag, with a 2 yeat old standing in the back seat, running a red light, while making a left turn from the right lane, while driving without head lights.

Most of my friends "repeat customers" are extremely stupid. The officers are too busy performing their duties than to run random tags to verify insurance coverage.

It will be interesting to hear the rest of the story.

I echo kudos to Officer Dutton.

I personally know about a dozen Paulding County Officers and Marshalls plus Sheriff Gulledge.

Each of these are a professional who has a heart to serve the citizens with excellence.

It always amazes me of the number of repeat "customers" they all know on a first hand basis. When I first read this report I immediately wondered if Lindsey or Lindsey's car were on his "first name customer list". I imagined a car with a cardboard "tag applied for" tag, with a 2 yeat old standing in the back seat, running a red light, while making a left turn from the right lane, while driving without head lights.

Most of my friends "repeat customers" are extremely stupid. The officers are too busy performing their duties than to run random tags to verify insurance coverage.

It will be interesting to hear the rest of the story.

Agree 100%.

Agreed. I'm not sure that this thread is going to go the way that the OP hoped or intended.

That's why you get your day in court.

Tell it to the Judge and if you're telling the truth, fine and dandy, sorry for the inconvience, just doing their job, yada yada yada.

I'd rather our Deputies follow protocall just to be sure and I'll talk to the one that makes the final decision.

Yes, I am aware that I may be the one inconvienced some day and that I may get online and whine and complain about it.....

Isn't it nice to have the FREEDOM to do that, though?

The whole thing smells fishy to me.

:good: What is the deal with the OP deleting his original post? Now I really wonder whats up? What a load! And why are there 2 topics that are the same? There's something to be said for credibility and the OP just keeps knocking his own.

Edited by momof 3

And now the OP has changed his screen name to DirtyDan from ThirdSeason after 5 whole posts? WTH!?!?!?!?!?

Edited by momof 3

And once again..................ThirdSeason has changed his screen name to DirtyDan after a whopping 5 posts. Apparently he doesn't realize that we are privy to that info. Not too smart.

• Like 2

These two threads make my head hurt. I don't understand. Imma stop thinking about it and get me some coffee.

:good: What is the deal with the OP deleting his original post? Now I really wonder whats up? What a load! And why are there 2 topics that are the same? There's something to be said for credibility and the OP just keeps knocking his own.

Could it be he has been intimidated by someone and threatened with reprisals if he didn't take back his statement ?

Could it be he has been intimidated by someone and threatened with reprisals if he didn't take back his statement ?

No clue, but he isn't fooling anyone by the change. I think maybe he bit off more than he could chew, especially considering the fact that he deleted most of his own posts.

MY POI certificate (USAA) plainly says that they provide the electronic data to GA and it is not necessary to carry the paper, although they suggest that I do. I thought it was a requirement that any insurance company doing business in GA had to have that data available online?

ALWAYS Keep a current insurance card, registration, and have your license

in the vehicle when you are driving.

(database is down a lot) ;)

I had trouble figuring it out as well......

Who is Third Season, O! It WAS Dirty Dan?

I think there's more to it as well, and I can't find chit on FB, that's why I don't even fool with it except for updates on Tripp.

He posted to his page and then numbers and numbers of people shared it.

How did y'all read it on Facebook? I'm confused...

I read it on FB too and now it is gone. What I read was the same story as above but with a photo. As far as police stopping running tags, I was stopped in 2008 in Kentucky for having the wrong tag on the wrong vehicle, i was in a rental and provide my paperwork to the State trooper. At that time he told me I was not doing anything wrong, but that they have some sort of detection device built onto their cars that will automatically scan tags and the car I was in happened to be one of them. It be only STATE trooper cars that have this doohickey and maybe only in Kentucky, I don't know. Those of you who know deputies, maybe you can ask them if their cars are equipped with a device. Either way, it was fine with me and he gave me a document to show another officer IF I was stopped again, I wasn't. He also told me to make sure Hertz rental car gave me a discount for putting me in a car with the wrong tag. I just wonder if this may have been the case. However, this whole topic sounds fishy since he/she stated they had the copy of the receipt but no proof if insurance. In my experience with online insurance transactions, you have the ability to go into your account and print a copy of your ID card. If the OP had the receipt why in the world didn't they print the ID cards? As it stands with the information given, kudos to the officer for keeping an uninsured motorist off the streets. Also, if the OP had time to take a picture with their phone, they could have called for someone to come pick them up.

• Like 1

ALWAYS Keep a current insurance card, registration, and have your license

in the vehicle when you are driving.

(database is down a lot) ;)

How can one check to see if their information has been uploaded to the database and if it is current?

Just an FYI...

The motto "To Protect and Serve" is that of the police, not the Sheriff's Dept.

Second, yes, police and sheriff's (and other law enforcement) do run people car tags while they are on patrol.

No, they are not too busy to do this.. they do it all the time.

No, they are not violating any laws or invading your privacy, by doing so.

Your tag is displayed in public. They run tags quite often.

They do this to look for reported stolens, unregistered vehicles, incorect tag to vehicles, and no insurance.

And lastly, in Georgia you are not required to carry proof of insurance anymore,

but it's silly to not do so. Computer systems are wrong and don't get updated sometimes.

If you have an insurance card that show you have valid insurance on the vehicle you are driving,

the officer will take that over what his MDT is showing.

• Like 1

Just an FYI...

The motto "To Protect and Serve" is that of the police, not the Sheriff's Dept.

Second, yes, police and sheriff's (and other law enforcement) do run people car tags while they are on patrol.

No, they are not too busy to do this.. they do it all the time.

No, they are not violating any laws or invading your privacy, by doing so.

Your tag is displayed in public. They run tags quite often.

They do this to look for reported stolens, unregistered vehicles, incorect tag to vehicles, and no insurance.

And lastly, in Georgia you are not required to carry proof of insurance anymore,

but it's silly to not do so. Computer systems are wrong and don't get updated sometimes.

If you have an insurance card that show you have valid insurance on the vehicle you are driving,

the officer will take that over what his MDT is showing.

I stand corrected. However, I still suspect that the OP did something to draw attention to himself.

I stand corrected. However, I still suspect that the OP did something to draw attention to himself.

I would agree!

Typically, they will run tags while they are stopped at a traffic light

or patrolling a parking lot, etc...

If a person gets run while going down the road, especially a mile from their residence,

there is good likelihood that they did something to catch the officers eye.