Paulding.com

Baby Shot in his Stroller---WTH? is Wrong with People?

Two African Americans hmmmm. Political correctness would not be on my mind at the time.

Agreed. And she said they approached her. Who says approached? I'm not saying people don't, and I certainly tend to use larger words in my conversation, but those two things do seem...odd. I'd have said something like they came up to me all of a sudden, or they snuck up on me from behind, or plainer language, considering the stress of the situation. She also went into a lot of detail about why she didn't have any money (it's expensive to raise a baby).

And I'm still not saying things didn't happen the way she said. I'm just saying it just seems a little bit...off. The dry-eye crying thing ALWAYS ALWAYS sets off the radar for me. I would have found her more believable if she'd been speaking normally with no tears, because some people are not expressive at times like this...not because they don't feel the pain acutely, but they feel if they start crying, they'll never stop. (My mother is like this. I, OTOH, just let fly with the tears.)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe they thought they were standing their ground.   I feel so sorry for that mother, she had lost her 17 year old son in a self defense killing.

What the truck does not allowing God to be mentioned have to do with some degenerates killing a baby? This is so incredibly stupid to say. No trucking wonder I can't stand organized religion for the m

I have no idea what happened in this case. Your # 1 comment did get my attention.   It hit me. In 2009 I was woken up by a phone call notifying me my loving, caring, beautiful, adult daughter who I

If a reporter tried to talk to me after such an occurrence, he would be summarily dispatched with a flea in his ear, and he'd be doggone lucky nothing worse happened to him.

Yes agree. Some people may agree to talk to them, but if something like this happened to me, I don't think I'd be able to.

Also, if I were in this mothers situation I wouldn't even be there talking to reporters. My ass would be in jail because I would have gone after the little chits and shoot them in the head!!

That is correct, mei lan!

But, this mother suffered no less for her other son's life. unsure.gif

Point taken. I was just pointing out the inconsistency with her story to the reporter vs. what actually happened, and all that combined with the lack of tears, etc. Just observing.

Point taken. I was just pointing out the inconsistency with her story to the reporter vs. what actually happened, and all that combined with the lack of tears, etc. Just observing.

Yes, I know that about you, mai lan!

I just have a shortcoming in how to talk to people, especially of the opposite sex! drinks.gif.

I will have to go back and take a fresh look at the videos and start looking closer at the details, in this case. I am just still so emotional and unable to get past the "baby shot in the head" part! :angry2:

Yes, ivy, the details can be much more understanding of this mothers grief. drinks.gif

Maybe they thought they were standing their ground.

I feel so sorry for that mother, she had lost her 17 year old son in a self defense killing.

There are some very sick people in this world and I know of one right here inPaulding County.

OK, that tears it. I'm way close to calling a Susan Smith on this chick. Here's what she said in the latest AJC version of the story (link below):

At her apartment Saturday, West had filled several bags with her son's clothes and diapers to donate to charity.

FYI - I've seen a goodly number of comments on a couple of other national sites, and we're not the only ones whose radar started pinging.

Oh, also in this article - the kid's aunt alibis him for the time of the murder. Shouldn't be too hard to run down either way.

http://www.ajc.com/news/ap/georgia/police-arrest-2-teens-in-ga-baby-killing/nW2pK/

Edited by mei lan

Like Mei Lan said, everyone grieves differently. BUT it's rather convenient that there were no witnesses, she was barely wounded, and then gives MULTIPLE interviews. The second I heard her story, I thought of Susan Smith. I hope it's not true, but either way, a sweet child is dead because someone is evil.

• Like 2

I just saw this on the news.......what the hell is wrong with people? I just don't understand.

They tried to rob the mother, she didn't have any money and they just shot the baby in the head. Both are teenagers.

So incredibly sad............

Police arrest 2 teens after baby shot in stroller

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 8:30 AM EDT Updated: Mar 22, 2013 4:57 PM EDT

BRUNSWICK, Ga. (AP) -- Police in Brunswick have announced the arrest of 2 teenagers in the shooting of a baby in a stroller and the wounding of the baby's mother.

Brunswick Police Chief Tobe Green says 17-year-old De'Marquis Elkins is charged with first-degree murder. A 14-year-old is also charged with murder, but he was not identified because he is a juvenile.

The chief said police were still investigating the motive and searching for a weapon.

Sherry West wept Friday as she told The Associated Press she pleaded with the gunman that she had no money to give him.

West was walking with her baby, Antonio Santiago, in his stroller near their home in coastal Brunswick. The mother was shot in the leg and says another bullet grazed her ear.

FOX5 NEWS

Im just not buying this story as it is right now. Something is not right with this mother. People will suffer through gun shots, etc in order to follow their plan. NOT saying she did but all my sense tell me that something is NOT right about her story.

Like Mei Lan said, everyone grieves differently. BUT it's rather convenient that there were no witnesses, she was barely wounded, and then gives MULTIPLE interviews. The second I heard her story, I thought of Susan Smith. I hope it's not true, but either way, a sweet child is dead because someone is evil.

Me too! Susan Smith and the mother of Baby Lisa is all can think about when I see her watery eyes but no tears running down her face. She seems to enjoy the attention. The father reportedly is too devastated and declined all interviews. Now THAT makes some sense to me. If she was looking for her child, etc to be all over the news is one thing....but not this. Something is very wrong.

I keep wondering as well, why didn't they shoot HER in the head because she was the only witness to their alleged crime...not the baby. Again, I can't say one way or another what happened but it has struck me as odd from the moment I saw her on TV.

Right there with ya! Interesting....I posted the story on FB with a comment similar to mine here. It now has 79 comments. ALL the men who posted didnt even question her. ALL the women did and feel just like we do. Mothers intuition? I find that very interesting.

I took a chance on starting a firestorm and posted how I really feel. If Im wrong, Ill admit it. I just dont see any tears and there is something very big that is missing and I personally think she knows what it is. Investigators put a lot of stock into the reactions of someone after losing a loved one.

Edited by A Gipper Girl

I got on to comment about this "crime". Call me cynical if you want and I was ready to be hung up at the stake but see several have beat me to it with suspicions.

I told my husband as we were watching the interview with her for the 2nd or 3rd time that she was not shedding a tear and her "crying" looked just like Susan Smith. I remember vividly when watching Susan Smith's pleas on TV for the return of her boys she had the most fake cry I have ever seen and couldn't muster up a tear to save her life.This mother was the same way. And, as others have mentioned WHY was she not shot and HOW convenient there were no witnesses.

I got on to comment about this "crime". Call me cynical if you want and I was ready to be hung up at the stake but see several have beat me to it with suspicions.

I told my husband as we were watching the interview with her for the 2nd or 3rd time that she was not shedding a tear and her "crying" looked just like Susan Smith. I remember vividly when watching Susan Smith's pleas on TV for the return of her boys she had the most fake cry I have ever seen and couldn't muster up a tear to save her life.This mother was the same way. And, as others have mentioned WHY was she not shot and HOW convenient there were no witnesses.

You just read my MIND!

I felt completely duped and offended by Susan Smith. I was a new mother and her Alex and MY Alex were born on the very same day and same year. When I heard her story I was so concerned that it made me sick. For days I felt like that as I listened to sweet little details about both boys.

Well, we all know what happened next. I have a strong feeling in my gut that Baby Lisas mother and this mother have more to tell at the VERY least.

Hopefully, the investigators will do everything they can to find out what really happened. They should test the boys for GSR, as well as the mother. Something does seem off about this story and I really hope a very thorough investigation will be done before anyone is burned at the stake. It's also possible that police are going through the motions of an investigation all the while keeping the mother as a primary suspect and waiting for her to cave or slip up. Either way, one innocent life is gone. Sad.

• Like 1

Hopefully, the investigators will do everything they can to find out what really happened. They should test the boys for GSR, as well as the mother. Something does seem off about this story and I really hope a very thorough investigation will be done before anyone is burned at the stake. It's also possible that police are going through the motions of an investigation all the while keeping the mother as a primary suspect and waiting for her to cave or slip up. Either way, one innocent life is gone. Sad.

Agreed!

I have a friend whose husband is a police officer close to Savannah. He said the police ARE "iffy" on her story. Something just isnt right. How many parents did we see the day or 2 after Sandy Hook, etc? A bereaved and shocked parent, or most of them at least, would not and could not be able to do interviews.

Agreed!

I have a friend whose husband is a police officer close to Savannah. He said the police ARE "iffy" on her story. Something just isnt right. How many parents did we see the day or 2 after Sandy Hook, etc? A bereaved and shocked parent, or most of them at least, would not and could not be able to do interviews.

I wonder if this could have something to do with her older son being killed. I haven't read anything about it being gang related, just that he was the aggressor in a fight that ultimately resulted in his own demise. Really, I don't see how, but I do not understand how gangs actually work. Just a thought.

I wonder if this could have something to do with her older son being killed. I haven't read anything about it being gang related, just that he was the aggressor in a fight that ultimately resulted in his own demise. Really, I don't see how, but I do not understand how gangs actually work. Just a thought.

Very good point.

When I first questioned her story, I had no idea about the death of her older son. So, when I learned this, it only made me feel even sketchier about her story. If Im wrong I will shout it to the world but I just think something is VERY wrong with her story.

Now I'm just playing internet psychiatrist but I *did* think of a sort of Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy. http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sick/munchausen.html It could be that she enjoys the limelight from her child's pain relating back to her son that was killed. I feel bad even saying/typing it. But I'm sure it's a possibility the police have looked at...hopefully. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to apologize.

Now I'm just playing internet psychiatrist but I *did* think of a sort of Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy. http://kidshealth.or...munchausen.html It could be that she enjoys the limelight from her child's pain relating back to her son that was killed. I feel bad even saying/typing it. But I'm sure it's a possibility the police have looked at...hopefully. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to apologize.

Absolutely. Good point. It s very real problem...could be. Do we know what she does for a living? Munchousens if often a mother who does or has worked in the medical field.

Now I'm just playing internet psychiatrist but I *did* think of a sort of Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy. http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sick/munchausen.html It could be that she enjoys the limelight from her child's pain relating back to her son that was killed. I feel bad even saying/typing it. But I'm sure it's a possibility the police have looked at...hopefully. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to apologize.

Great minds!!! I keep going back to the article in the AJC, as they keep updating it with new comments from neighbors, information, etc. Two new pieces of information (to me) in the past couple of hours:

a) The father was briefly detained by police when it first happened because he was shouting at her, blaming her for what happened. He told the reporter he doesn't blame the kids, he blames her. He kept telling her to walk another way because of housing projects nearby, but she kept going the same way.

2) Not only has she packed up all his (the baby's) stuff, she had him cremated and had the funeral home dispose of the ashes. Said she didn't want to see him in a box. The last time she saw him was when they loaded him into the ambulance.

My spidey sense is killin' me here!!!

a) The father was briefly detained by police when it first happened because he was shouting at her, blaming her for what happened. He told the reporter he doesn't blame the kids, he blames her. He kept telling her to walk another way because of housing projects nearby, but she kept going the same way.

2) Not only has she packed up all his (the baby's) stuff, she had him cremated and had the funeral home dispose of the ashes. Said she didn't want to see him in a box. The last time she saw him was when they loaded him into the ambulance.

My spidey sense is killin' me here!!!

Are you serious????? I don't know what to think..........that's just strange.

Apparently this woman was on Piers Morgan last night. I like Piers, in spite of his unctuous sermonizing at times, and he lets her talk almost the entire time here. I'm including two links; the first is CNN's video, which is the last couple of minutes of the interview, and the second is the YouTube video, which is the entire interview, which is seven or eight minutes. The second video's quality isn't as good.

I didn't see any traces of tears, even though her face crumpled up sort of a time or two. Which like I said, if she's the unemotional type, that's understandable, but the folks I know like this are very reserved in their statements and don't want to talk at all. Another possibility is that she's medicated heavily, but she seems lucid and doesn't give the affect of a drugged person. Whatever. I just want the truth to come out for that tiny tot.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=sitenav#/video/us/2013/03/26/pmt-west-baby-shot-in-stroller.cnn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnqm90x96I

I finally watched the interview with her, and here are my thoughts as a mother of 2 kids, one 2 1/2, and the other almost a year.

1. She wasn't sobbing, I think I would be inconsolable, and probably not able to give an interview.

2. And this stood out most, she keeps referring to him as "my baby", to me, I would be using my childs name when talking about what happened.

I didn't doubt this story at all when they first reported it. I pray for the family that lost the baby they loved no matter how it happened.

This is starting to resemble the Diane Downs case.

You can't believe everything the newspapers print, but if true this is just crazy.

Daughter of Brrunswick victim, Sherry West, questions mother's story

The daughter of Sherry West, Ashley Glassey, said she does not want to falsely accuse anyone but she wants the truth.

Glassey, 21, lives in New Jersey and said her mother lost custody of her when she was 8. She said she has forgiven her mom and has spoken to her every day since Thursday's shooting but said some of her mother's responses have her concerned.

Glassey said she started to have her doubts after receiving a phone call from her mother telling her that her brother, Antonio Santiago, had been killed. She claims the night of the shooting her mother asked, "How soon do you think life insurance policy will send me a check?"

Rest of story:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topstories/article/305674/483/Daughter-of-Brunswick-victim-questions-mothers-story

I have thought this was fishy since I heard about it last Friday, and her interview over the radio.

Let me tell you something: if this were me, and BabyB had been shot, the only way I'd be talking is if I were high on drugs given to me by the doctor to calm me down. And you'd know it. The thought of this happening to BabyB makes me want to wretch, I can't possibly imagine it actually happening. I swear I'd beg a doctor to pit me in a coma. I couldn't deal. Never could I see myself talking to reporters this soon.

This is very, very odd. I think these boys have been wrongly accused and she did this. If I am wrong, then I ill admit it. It's just way too off and suspicious.

Maybe they thought they were standing their ground.

I feel so sorry for that mother, she had lost her 17 year old son in a self defense killing.

WTF? Standing their grounds to carry on the family tradition of welfare funded, gang banging hoodrats!!!

Read the new articles, seems momma and auntie are in Glynn county jail for giving false statements.

Cannot get the link to come up, google "Brunswick News". You can look it up on facebook.

Here you go.

My link

"The mother and aunt of De'Marquise Elkins, the 17 year-old accused of shooting 13 month-old Antonio Santiago were arrested for making false statements to police this morning.

Their new statements led to information that led to Glynn County Police finding what they believe to be the handgun used in the murder around 8 a.m. this morning.

Karimah Elkins, 36, De'Marquise's mother, and Katrina Elkins, 33, his aunt, were booked at Glynn County Detention Center before 9 a.m.

Both women posted $1,104 bond but Katrina Elkins is still being held on a probation violation charge in Henry County."

There are some very sick people in this world and I know of one right here in Paulding County.

That's okay SOLO. I've reported this post to the proper authorities and they will be investigating. Some people just don't know where the line should be drawn between 'smart' comments and hate speech and threats.

I thought about Munchausen, too. Especially with her doing all the interviews. DH made the statement that IF I were in that situation there is NO WAY I would be able to talk much less do TV interviews I would be so distraught.

During my career in Social Work I saw several cases of this and she reminded me very much of those mothers.

Maybe the mother paid the kid to shoot her and kill her kid in exchange for a cut of the life insurance.

And is it common to have life insurance on a 13 month old? I don't have any on either of my kids.

• Like 1