Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
justgettingby

Cobb Voters...don't forget to VOTE TUESDAY!

If you are a Cobb voter, don't forget to VOTE today, March 19th!

"Cobb County residents will vote Tuesday on whether to renew a 1 percent special purpose local option sales tax, or SPLOST, which is expected to bring $773 million to the Cobb and city of Marietta school districts over five years.

With the money, the Cobb County School District would complete hundreds of projects, including repairing or replacing dilapidated buildings and athletic facilities and constructing a $29 million college and career academy.

Marietta’s school board is asking for $55 million to retire debt, renovate Marietta High’s football field and upgrade several facilities and technology.

Opponents of the proposal say the district’s record of how it has used SPLOST funds is shoddy at best. Millions of dollars have been spent on pork projects that barely meet state requirements, critics say, and they suspect future SPLOSTs would be no different.

Supporters say the sales tax is desperately needed in times of deep budget cuts for public education. Generating money for capital projects through a sales tax rather than bonds, administrators say, spreads the financial burden among homeowners, the business community and visitors to the county.

In 2008, the SPLOST referendum benefiting the Cobb and city of Marietta school districts passed with 60 percent approval. That SPLOST expires at the end of this year.

This month’s special election, including early voting, will cost Marietta and Cobb County schools $300,000." http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local-education/cobb-residents-to-vote-on-splost-tuesday/nWwd7/

Thanks for posting. I'll vote NOT to renew the tax on the way home today.

I just voted a big, fat NO. I am sick and tired of being taxed.

Edited by PowderSpringsDad

Didn't even know about it.

SPLOST is the only thing on the ballott. It's another sneaky attempt to get it passed.

Edited by PowderSpringsDad

Thanks for posting. I'll vote NOT to renew the tax on the way home today.

Why would you cut your nose off to spite your face. This is the cheapest way you can support the schools.

With the cuts that the president has made they need it desperately. I have always voted for the school bonds

If it don't pass they can just raise the tax, and you can pay it in a lump sum, I guess.

Why would you cut your nose off to spite your face. This is the cheapest way you can support the schools.

With the cuts that the president has made they need it desperately. I have always voted for the school bonds

If it don't pass they can just raise the tax, and you can pay it in a lump sum, I guess.

If it's true that the funds aren't being used in the best way why would you approve what basically amounts to wreckless spending? Once the people in government get the message that these funds will no longer be blindly given then MAYBE they will actually do the responsible thing with the money... From what I have read on this I don't blame the NO voters in the least.

• Like 3

If it's true that the funds aren't being used in the best way why would you approve what basically amounts to wreckless spending? Once the people in government get the message that these funds will no longer be blindly given then MAYBE they will actually do the responsible thing with the money... From what I have read on this I don't blame the NO voters in the least.

Agree 100% :drinks:

:drinks: Cobb is fairly fiscally responsible compared to it's neighboring counties. I'm very thankful for this. But it's important for those in the local government to know that they are being held accountable when their spending gets out of control. I think Paulding needs to do this more often.

SPLOST is the only thing on the ballott. It's another sneaky attempt to get it passed.

Can't believe I actually disagree with you for once.

If you're paying attention, you know there's an election going on. And you have weeks to cast a ballot—one that took me less than 5 minutes to cast, if that.

And if you don't have time to go vote, vote absentee.

Can't believe I actually disagree with you for once.

If you're paying attention, you know there's an election going on. And you have weeks to cast a ballot—one that took me less than 5 minutes to cast, if that.

And if you don't have time to go vote, vote absentee.

I paid attention and have known for weeks. My issue is that these SPLOST votes should not be "special" elections. Rather, they should be included with general elections in order to maximize the turnout. That's why I call them "sneaky".

I paid attention and have known for weeks. My issue is that these SPLOST votes should not be "special" elections. Rather, they should be included with general elections in order to maximize the turnout. That's why I call them "sneaky".

Not to mention it cost the county $300,000 when they could have done it with the last election.

Not to mention Paulding did the same with the liquor law.

No tellin' how much extra was spent for this "special" election that could have been on the November ballot and everyone that voted would have had the opportunity.

This way, only a select group has been made aware of this election.

When I went to vote in Cobb today one of the election workers was talking about how long his wife has worked for the school system. He said, "so I know why everyone should vote, 'yes'". WTF? I believe this ESPLOST was solely for those who were told to vote "yes".

I guess you know for sure this is going on, or is it what somebody told you. I GUESS YOU ALSO KNOW THEY CAN RAISE YOUR

PROPERTY TAX WITHOUT A VOTE.

I guess you know for sure this is going on, or is it what somebody told you. I GUESS YOU ALSO KNOW THEY CAN RAISE YOUR

Cobb county is near the maximum allowable property tax under state law.

8)

Did you read the article? Research those pork projects.... And you have somewhere that there is a guarantee they won't raise your taxes even with this passing? :unsure:

Edited by All I Hear is Blah Blah Blah

I don't think ol' Chairman Lee will dare vote to raise Cobb property taxes again anytime soon. It was the first time in 20 years for a tax increase, but he almost lost re-election because of his last vote and the 2011 SPLOST vote.

Edited by justgettingby

it's not really a government's responsibility to maximize turnout in any given election—that's for the electorate to do. And when you have weeks of early voting in addition to an election day, the only reason for turnout to be low is that people don't care enough to vote.

One could also argue that putting a SPLOST on a general election would appear to some as hiding it.

Not to mention it cost the county $300,000 when they could have done it with the last election.

for the cost of having this election the money spent is a perfect example of wasteful spending , that money could have been used for education. That is why folks are saying "enough is enough" they need to be on a budget too.

Exactly. I've always felt that if the state, county, city, etc. needs extra money to fund a specific program or facet of the government that they need to either lower spending or redo their budget. Raising taxes is not the solution.

yahoo.gif Come on Georgia voters love to tax them self... Go for it...give them the money to spend on...all kinds of crap...lol

Love the republican point of view...tax tax and tax...

So I will no longer do business in Cobb, which is easier to get to than Paulding. But I expect we will get a lot of shoppers out of Cobb. Good move Cobb. It must have been for the chirren.

I believe Cobb's millage rate is one of the lowest in the state. Most do not realize that the county BOC is TOTALLY SEPERATE FROM THE county BOE. They are elected seperately and tax seperately. Whether or not the BOE has its millage rate set at maximum I have no clue. But to try to blame Lee for a BOE issue os incorrect. He has no say on it.

I believe Cobb's millage rate is one of the lowest in the state. Most do not realize that the county BOC is TOTALLY SEPERATE FROM THE county BOE. They are elected seperately and tax seperately. Whether or not the BOE has its millage rate set at maximum I have no clue. But to try to blame Lee for a BOE issue os incorrect. He has no say on it.

I'm blaming him for the 2011 SPLOST not this ESPLOST. He said in 2011 that if we didn't pass the SPLOST that they'd have to raise millage rates. Well go figure, the SPLOST passed and he voted to raise millage rates anyway.

I'm blaming him for the 2011 SPLOST not this ESPLOST. He said in 2011 that if we didn't pass the SPLOST that they'd have to raise millage rates. Well go figure, the SPLOST passed and he voted to raise millage rates anyway.

Yep!!

Can I borrow a hundred bucks? You seem to have no problem throwing your money blindly and I would like to get on the list... :drinks:

Don't spend your money and you won't have to pay it. Don't forget that all these people that do not pay property tax, now

will have to continue to pay this. Also everybody that comes into the county will pay it too.