Paulding.com

Where were you in life at 29?

I was watching One Tree Hill, i never watched it when it first started so i'm on season 4. I love the "thoughts" from the cast in the beginning and end of the episodes. Anyways, one of them got me thinking. I am 29, will be 30 in September, and I feel much older. Everyone always says "29 is still so young, you should be out having fun!". I do have a child, and a boyfriend i've been with for 7 years. I just feel like I am "settled" and even though it's not necessarily what i want, i feel like it's where I should be.

Idk if that makes any sense. But I wanted to ask PCOM where they were at 29. What did you do, what did you like? Did you have kids? Where was your mindset?

At 29 I had three kids and married. I am 33. It does get worse. I cant imagine being 53 lol And worse I just mean time does fly. So I am sure 53 will be here before I know it. So that is why we should all enjoy our time bc it does go so fast.

I still am the same and probably always will always be. I am at sports nonstop with my kids, I have girl friend time every couple of months which involves going out to dinner or something- we take a lot of family trips and I still have the same job. So nothing has really changed.

Other than getting a few more wrinkles and more gray hairs each year and had one more kid- I think I am the same. lol

Edited by CarolineElizabeth

At 29 I was pregnant with my second child, had my first at 27. I bought my first house before she was born, had enough money to furnish it with new furniture, had a job at Southern Bell since 1971 and life was good. I was very happy and content.

Life will throw you some curves. Just be prepared and don't be afraid to ask for advice, espcially from older folks. Good advice is invaluable.

We had fun. We did a lot of things together, lots of vacations and week-end trips. Getting through the 70's had been difficult, but the 80's into the 90's were great.

If I can tell you anything at all that you will do, it would be to save. We're heading in a direction that no one is sure of, but it doesn't look good. Save all you can, and if you have access to a 401K put it there. Plan for the future because it will be here before you know it.

Good luck!

• Like 1

It was 1998. I had just given up my apartment that I had lived alone in for 4 years and moved in with my boyfriend so I could return to school. It was my first time in college and I loved it.

At 29 I was pregnant with my second child, had my first at 27. I bought my first house before she was born, had enough money to furnish it with new furniture, had a job at Southern Bell since 1971 and life was good. I was very happy and content.

Life will throw you some curves. Just be prepared and don't be afraid to ask for advice, espcially from older folks. Good advice is invaluable.

We had fun. We did a lot of things together, lots of vacations and week-end trips. Getting through the 70's had been difficult, but the 80's into the 90's were great.

If I can tell you anything at all that you will do, it would be to save. We're heading in a direction that no one is sure of, but it doesn't look good. Save all you can, and if you have access to a 401K put it there. Plan for the future because it will be here before you know it.

Good luck!

That is the best thing my dad ever taught me. I have been putting money away for many years. Every 6 months I add more to be deduction.

At 29 I was driving myself crazy trying to conceive my second child. Married with a 10 year old. Everything is pretty much the same now except I have more wrinkles, white hair and a 2 year old. I'm wiser as well. Life is good.

At 29 I was Mom to two children, an army wife living in Germany with my soon to be ex. I thought I knew more than I actually did, and it's a place (not physically but in my head) that I would never want to be again.

Aside from how I felt physically, I wouldn't ever want to go back to my 20's or 30's, come to think of it :p .

Well that was just a little over a year ago for me. I was pregnant and then had my son. Unemployed and scared of what our future will be like, husband back in school, raising our little one. I definitely have hope things will get better for us in time. I look forward to raising my son and watching him grow through the years.

I finished college spent a few years in retail management. I had been a police officer for a couple of yearsby then. Lived in my own house by myself. And had never been married but got married at 29. What can I say... I'm picky and it took a while to find a woman that could put up with me.

Married, 3 young children, working for a large Atlanta law firm for the senior partner of the firm, braving an almost unbearable commute back and forth to work each day, spending weekends traveling all over the SE United States with my husband and kids to my husband's softball games. He had always played baseball, including high school and college, but played softball with a great team after we got married and up until the time our daughter started playing softball, etc. and our sons started playing baseball, etc. - he gave it up then and let the kids have their opportunities.

Believe it or not, the weekend travel was actually a very good stress reliever and gave me plenty of time to spend with my family and friends.

Life was hard when I was 29. We didn't have the tweeter's and the facebook's. You people have it too easy these days! We had to get up to change the channel and their was no microwave popcorn for god's sake. We were so poor the only toys we had were Pet Rocks and Paper Dolls !

And we Liked It ! angry.gif

• Like 1

Did anyone have that moment that they talk about where you hit 30 and everything just changes. Like you all of a sudden KNOW if you are doing what you want to be doing, or you know exactly what to change to get there. :unsure:

I know that somewhere around 30 is when I knew I could no longer eat anything I wanted and not expect to gain a few pounds. :)

Did anyone have that moment that they talk about where you hit 30 and everything just changes. Like you all of a sudden KNOW if you are doing what you want to be doing, or you know exactly what to change to get there. :unsure:

Other than having the thought of "Oh my Gawd, I'm 30! I'm getting old", turning 30 was just another day, at least for me anyway. You can come to that point in your life at any age.

Age 29 was happy year for me. I was pregnant and the baby actually had a heart beat! We were looking forward to our first child being born. Our jobs were going good and we were looking for a house. Good year for me!

Good luck!

Excellent advice!

At 29, I was working with Fred at Mr. Slate's quarry and was a member of The Royal Order of Waterbuffaloes.

:rofl:

Life was hard when I was 29. We didn't have the tweeter's and the facebook's. You people have it too easy these days! We had to get up to change the channel and their was no microwave popcorn for god's sake. We were so poor the only toys we had were Pet Rocks and Paper Dolls !

I was not a fat cat in any way, CC, like some 29 year old's are now days!

Of course, I was 29 nearly 40 years ago. According to some 29 year old people, now, I don't have any sense.

I was not much older than 29 in this pdf. photo.

Edited by The Postman

At 27 I was working a good job, married for 6 years, living in a house we bought at 22, husband was successful.

At 29 I was divorced, remarried, laid off from work, new husband was out of work, and we were living with my in laws.

At 33 husband and I are working, we have 2 kids, we're pretty well settled right now.

Age is just a number, and just because you are somewhere at some age doesn't mean you will be there 5 years from now. The other day I was asked what I wanted to do when I grew up (note I'm 33), and my answer was that I don't know, because 5 years ago I didn't think I would be where I am now. I am going where God takes me, and I learned not to question or fight it. I am where I'm supposed to be, and I'm there for as long as he sees fit.

• Like 1

"You people"? That's a bit much don't you think?

And having facebook does not make life "Easy" by any means. Social media, toys, theatres and anything else that could fall in the entertainment bucket has nothing to do with whether or not life is easy.

• Like 1

Other than having the thought of "Oh my Gawd, I'm 30! I'm getting old", turning 30 was just another day, at least for me anyway. You can come to that point in your life at any age.

30 is old?

:rofl:

;)

My daughter is turning 27 this year and she is already mourning it...lol.

Not in the sense that she thinks she's 'old' but in the "OMG Mom, I'm almost 30" sense, lol.

I was a project manager for one of the largest sub-contractors in the world (at that time). I had 30 guys working for me and our typical work week was 60 to 84 hours.

I became project manager at 25, which made me the youngest PM the company had put in that position.

• Like 2

"You people"? That's a bit much don't you think?

And having facebook does not make life "Easy" by any means. Social media, toys, theatres and anything else that could fall in the entertainment bucket has nothing to do with whether or not life is easy.

I think it was a joke, kinda like the U-Verse commercial.

;)

I was a project manager for one of the largest sub-contractors in the world (at that time). I had 30 guys working for me and our typical work week was 60 to 84 hours.

I became project manager at 25, which made me the youngest PM the company had put in that position.

Very impressive feelip!

By age 29....I had served in the military, went to college, been married for 7 years and had recently had my 2nd child.

How old are you dude? At 29 I had my AOL message boards.... :rofl:

At 29 I was still in the military, had one child, been married and freshly divorced. My flight deck boots had a fresh shine on them from the Marine who was occupying my home while I was on deployment. I was on shore duty working more than 60 hours a week under Bill Clinton, no parts so I was awaiting my acceptance for an early out with pay. (Got it later). Was gearing up for a new civilian job and wearing out the bars in Jacksonville, Florida.

By age 29....I had served in the military, went to college, been married for 7 years and had recently had my 2nd child.

How old are you dude? At 29 I had my AOL message boards.... :rofl:

I am surprised you are an Obama supporter having served in the military.

At 29 I was still in the military, had one child, been married and freshly divorced. My flight deck boots had a fresh shine on them from the Marine who was occupying my home while I was on deployment. I was on shore duty working more than 60 hours a week under Bill Clinton, no parts so I was awaiting my acceptance for an early out with pay. (Got it later). Was gearing up for a new civilian job and wearing out the bars in Jacksonville, Florida.

Dude sucks to be you. DH was home by 3PM everyday when he was on Shoreduty. Best Seaduty he had was NAS Atlanta...........I remember his many 2 week dets to KeyWest, Hawaii a few times...Worst was Fallon...............

Dude sucks to be you. DH was home by 3PM everyday when he was on Shoreduty. Best Seaduty he had was NAS Atlanta...........I remember his many 2 week dets to KeyWest, Hawaii a few times...Worst was Fallon...............

My instructor duty was pulled by the Commanding Officer so I had to run the Electric Shop. 30 sailors in a rag outfit with no parts. Had to rob 3 aircraft to get 1 flying and every aircraft had to fly every 30 days. Sucked bad under Democrats so I had to get out due to Clinton going to get reelected a second term. My time in the military was 11 plus years, 9 of that on sea duty. Total of 8 cruises between military and DoD civilian time.

My instructor duty was pulled by the Commanding Officer so I had to run the Electric Shop. 30 sailors in a rag outfit with no parts. Had to rob 3 aircraft to get 1 flying and every aircraft had to fly every 30 days. Sucked bad under Democrats so I had to get out due to Clinton going to get reelected a second term. My time in the military was 11 plus years, 9 of that on sea duty. Total of 8 cruises between military and DoD civilian time.

And yet even then the Military found the money for NASCAR fly-over's and three hundred dollar wrenches.

And yet even then the Military found the money for NASCAR fly-over's and three hundred dollar wrenches.

So you think the military created those prices and determined that NASCAR flyovers were important for recruiting?

WOW, That is what DH did while on Shoreduty. Actually his sea duty ended a little early in Spain due to his squadron de-commission. Came back to Norfolk, and he was on Instructor duty from 93-97, came to Atlanta on sea duty from 97-2001. Life didn't seem that bad under Bill Clinton for us...............

It's all in who you know and how you pick your orders. Worst part about the Navy to me is most of the bases are in highcost areas...DH has been in 21 years active 25 for pay and has only been on 1 full 8 month cruise the other he left early due to a PCS move. He went on a ship a few times for 2 weeks etc....................Sea duty Sigonella, Rota, Atlanta and Oceana(VA Beach) Only Shore duty he had was in Norfolk, and currently in Pax River.

At my last job here in Pax, all of the Sailors were on Shoreduty but some of them were gone quite a bit. But they get their tax free Per-diem and it's not like they were going to horrible locations. Usually it was Seattle, San Digo, JAX and the latest I saw Australia and Scotland. Worst location and there is that town again. Fallon.